PDA

View Full Version : New to the series

Mike
07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi, new to the series and not sure if it's just not popular in the UK, but can't find anyone to discuss the series with! This looks like a good place to start. Also, only on the sixth book, so please god no spoilers :P

Isabel
07-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Welcome Mike. We have quite a few members from the UK. It should be quite known series for thefantasy readers.
So what do you wanna discuss?

Btw, i am from the netherlands:)

Sarevok
07-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Ooooh, someone to welcome!

Hello, Mike :D

Mike
07-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome! Really enjoying the series so far - more so than RR Martin's 'Song of Fire and Ice' - but i hate the way he writes some of the female characters? Is this a common notion? Like i say, i'm only onto the sixth book, so there could be some drastic character progression. That being said, do really like Aviendha and Nynaeve.

Zombie Sammael
07-11-2013, 06:47 PM
All the UK fans on this board moved to Australia. ;)

Welcome, Mike.

Isabel
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Good to hear you like nynaeve:) i used to have an official fanclub for her:)

yks 6nnetu hing
07-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Welcome Mike! yay we have a newbie! please don't go away!

*mutters to self* ok, keep it cool yks, you can do this, don't scare the newbie away

for the writing of female characters, what a lot of people tend to forget is how much the world has changed since the books were started; and considering that Jordan had been germinating the idea since the 80s; it's actually quite impressive that the female characters aren't the princesses waiting to be rescued as in so many Fantasy tropes but neither are they misoandric feminists. At least, not the way I read it ;)

from a female point of view, I think RJ captured the female to female relationshipsquite well, as those can range from best friends forever to rather incredible cattiness. as for the female-male relationships, meh. there's always some power struggle involved, and that comes in very many ways, some of which RJ did well, some not so well.

have you ever read some of the Fantasy/SciFi from the '60s? talk about a social disconnect. Some days I'd like to whack Henlein over the head just for good measure. But looking at the era, it's astonishing to realize that the wiriters of Speculative Fiction then were actually the progressive ones!

Mike
07-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Aha, i promise i won't go away. Thanks again for the welcome!

I can understand that it was written in the 80s/90s, but he's able to create a deep world and an intricate political system, yet some of his characters feel so basic. It just seems he's taken the most simple idea of romantic feelings and gone 'boys don't understand girls, and girls can't think of anything but boys'. A bit annoying to read sometimes but still my favorite fantasy books after Robin Hobb!

Haha true, but i thought Dune is still a good read today.

So, do the books get better after book 6? Or down hill?

yks 6nnetu hing
07-12-2013, 08:59 AM

I can understand that it was written in the 80s/90s, but he's able to create a deep world and an intricate political system, yet some of his characters feel so basic. It just seems he's taken the most simple idea of romantic feelings and gone 'boys don't understand girls, and girls can't think of anything but boys'. A bit annoying to read sometimes but still my favorite fantasy books after Robin Hobb!

Haha true, but i thought Dune is still a good read today.

it doesn't change too much - if it took a sudden unexpected u-turn in the middle of the series, when it comes to writing certain characters, the writer woudl royally piss off the fans.

however, there is still considerable character growth. And of course Sanderson writes the last books in a slightly different way as well

just... don't believe all the hate Sanderson gets online, read for yourself, then decide :) people always hate more intensely than they like, particularly online

Terez
07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
people always hate more intensely than they like, particularly online
Not so sure that's true.

And to Mike, welcome. :)

yks 6nnetu hing
07-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Not so sure that's true.

And to Mike, welcome. :)

let's put it this way: when people mildly like something they're not as likely to tell everyone and their uncle over and over and over again that it was ok.

Nazbaque
07-15-2013, 05:16 AM
We'll hold you to that you know!

Welcome Mike!!

You may call me Naz!!

Anyway I've just been down memory lane reading old noob threads on Yuku/ez. Great stuff there. There is my personal thread and Sare's thread, the thread where my trusty fire extinguisher was replaced with powdered magnesium and lithium and I turned into Lightning-Man and zapped Zae, also there was the thread where PD closed his bakery blaming me and DahL and we decided to rule the net with our obviously infinite powers as Nazgul and Llama which led to a channeling war between me, DahL, Bane and PD until finally Bane set demons on me and DahL turned into a hippie, and of course there was the thread where hoda(man I miss hoda) was jesus the son of PD-god (a vagrant one but anyway) and I sold him to Romans, then there was Gonzo's long awaited noob thread and so many others.

*Sigh*

They were great days

Terez
07-15-2013, 09:26 AM
let's put it this way: when people mildly like something they're not as likely to tell everyone and their uncle over and over and over again that it was ok.
Many of the "Brandon haters" do exactly that. ;)

Sarevok
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
LOL, Naz, that was great! :)

*goes poke the greeter*

Nazbaque
07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Ha! The boards tried to pull a fast one on me with internal server errors, but I copied my post on Word and just pasted it here instead of having to do all the work twice.

Anyway the actual post:

I was too lazy to put up links last time so:

My welcome thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/633/Hi-everybody?page=1#.UeVLqW1Qb_k) or the thread of many resurrections

Birgitte's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/619/Hey-all#.UeVMKW1Qb_k) Longest welcome thread and a seriously old one too

Sare's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/627/Hello?page=1) which also got very long. Ah he was a natural hijacking his own thread

Gonzo's long awaited thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/653/Weeeh-It-worked#.UeVTYW1Qb_k)

The Saa's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/674/Here-I-am?page=1) where PD was god and I sold hoda to Romans

Hoda's welcome back thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/668/Im-baaaack?page=1#.UeVZ9W1Qb_k) ah the one where I first roasted marshmallows on my own flames

Ieyasu's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/673/Peace-favor-your-sword?page=1#.UeUyB21Qb_k) or the one with the chanelling war started by the closing of PD's bakery a.k.a. the one where hoda said vagina

jlm's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/669/hi?page=1#.UeVGRW1Qb_k) where DahL and I rubbed the bakery thing in PD's face, Zae was remarkably fast and Finns were weird

Fig's welcome thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/665/sneaks-in-through-the-back-door?page=1#.UeU9Fm1Qb_k) where we rubbed it in some more and Sare was awesome even though he was still a noob and too lazy to google

Mangin's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/662/Hello-I-know-another-YounglingNewbie?page=1#.UeVJ2W1Qb_k) where I didn't deserve any respect and people kept stealing my fire extinguisher

Cholly's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/664/Hello?page=1#.UeVBVG1Qb_k) where Hopper created a monster a.k.a. the Lightning-Man thread

Cary's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/660/Hi-Everyone?page=1#.UeU_2G1Qb_k) a truly fun thread including the history of my fires

Queen of Malkier's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/670/Newbie?page=1#.UeU2Fm1Qb_k) a great example of a generally fun thread and chess is still better than korfball Sare

rand's thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/663/Yo?page=1#.UeVIQm1Qb_k) which I completely missed but was set on fire in it anyway

Tomp
07-16-2013, 02:29 PM

After book 6 the world opens up and you get more POV characters from different parts of the world.
There will be new semi-central characters introduced who'll feel like they've always been there when you reach book 9 or 10.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to this weird place.

Sarevok
07-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Aaaaah... Naz!!!

Now I have to read all those! :( :)

Edit to add:
*trows a korfball at Naz' chessboard*

Nazbaque
07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
*Sets sare's korfball on fire*

Checkmate!

yks 6nnetu hing
07-17-2013, 06:28 AM
oh blast, I went and found my newbie-thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/775/traditionally-quothelloquot)

December 2003 :eek: that's... that's... almost 10 years ago!

Nazbaque
07-17-2013, 08:02 AM
And it's not closed! Wanna set me on fire in it, yks?

Sarevok
07-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Is it bad I can recognize a post as a reading from the Book of Ivhon, even if the hamsters ate his username? :eek:

Nazbaque
07-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Is it bad I can recognize a post as a reading from the Book of Ivhon, even if the hamsters ate his username? :eek:

That depends on how you define bad.

Bad as in being part of a bunch nerds? Of course not! It's all about friendship nothing bad about it.

Bad as in being a total Ivhon fanboy? Oh yes, shame on you!

Zaela Sedai
07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Consider yourself officially welcomed to Theoryland Mike!!! (First newbie in a while, and yes I'm late, I'm sorry! Welcome Welcome and enjoy. I wouldn't venture too far into the boards until you finish the series ;))As I'm sure you've noticed, we have a pretty decent community of WoT fanatics over here. One of the ways that we keep it all friendly is a short list of courtesies we ask people to follow and, once in a while, actually do get followed. Imagine that! Insane people following some sort of order!

1) Don't flood the board with multiple THREADS all at once.
Allow us the time to absorb, evaluate, and discuss, OR LAUGH at one or two ideas, OR JOKES at a time. Some of us like to do a little research before responding and that can take a little time. Of course, we also have those others who are just a bit slow. Read that as "just can't handle more than one thought in their heads at once" or "dial-up modem". Your choice. I'd suggest "have a real life", but not likely. Does anyone still have dial up? Wow...it's getting hard to give the slow people an excuse

Addendum to 1) Try to stay on topic.
Going off on tangents can be super fun and is something we are all guilty of your's truly included but try and keep threads on topic unless, 1) the thread is dead or 2) the thread naturally moves over to another topic. This rule is much more lax for joke threads, pop culture threads...etc.

2) Try to back up your opinions & theories.
You'll get a lot more respect if you can. Quotes from the books (of which you CANNOT read too much) are your best weapon. Quotes from interviews are semi-acceptable. Gut feelings are pseudo-acceptable. Whitecloak blind-faith is best submitted while wearing asbestos panties.

3) Feel free to get as emotionally involved as you'd like.
Discussions can get very heated. But try not to take things personally. Remember: we only insult the ones we love. Or the ones we eventually hand over to the Trollocs.

4) Be respectful.
A lot of people have been around Theoryland for a long time. Being a Youngling means you're new around here. We do understand that you may have been reading WoT forever, but if you're gonna pick a fight regarding a WoT theory with someone who's an Elder, Ancient or Hero, understand that they've been around for a while now, and probably have posting friends. And Tamyrlin is Lord of the Board for a reason: this whole place is his brainchild. Keep that in mind. They also have posting enemies.... a good little bit of information to tuck away.

Addendum to 4: This is an international community.
In regards to the Non-WoT discussion groups, please respect the opinions of people from nations and cultures other than your own, even if you disagree with them or the policies of their leaders and politicians. Try to remember that not everyone here has the same outlook or life experience that you might. If you want to send a letter or e-mail to anyone in particular to indicate any specific moral, educational, intellectual, or genetic deficiencies they may have, feel free. Just please don't do it here.

Addendum 1 to Addendum 4: Please no angry profanity.
If you really need to tell someone off, be creative. And replacing characters with @$$ does NOT constitute creativity. I like tend to like the Shakespearean approach myself. The smarter and more subtle you are with it, just makes the person look that much more an idiot.

Addendum 2 to Addendum 4: Please be nice to Newbies.
We were all new at one time you are one right now and there is no need to come down on anyone for asking questions that to the elder community may be basic knowledge. This is for you to remember after you've been here awhile.

Addendum 3 to Addendum 4: Please TRY not to feed the Trolls.
Trust me, it ain't easy at times, but ignore the obvious instigators. Just sit yourself down between the Heroes and Ancients sharpening the WTF Couch sticks. There are many on the board who know how to deal with this breed, leave them to it. It can be quite entertaining. If things get too offensive to the population in general, Mods will intervene. We like to try and use enough wit to neutralize the trollies without help...

5) Please don't use the New Users Forum to recruit.
We have plenty of room in the other forums for begging for support for factions, theories, and the TCA. Please let the newbies look around for a while before taking sides in any pseudo-battles. ~do not feel you MUST click on Lordy's sig links and join just cause he's Lordy... it's not mandatory, butt shhhh! I did not tell you that!

6) Most important: Have Fun!
We do this because we love it and like to think that we are, at least, reasonably intelligent. Hell, some of us have deluded ourselves into believing that we've evolved into supremely intelligent beings! Half the posters here believe that divine supremacy has already come to them! My vote is for Frenzy, and myself, of course. You know the Truth when you see it. Don't let T and her massive bag o' quotes fool you there are always ways to fight back! With your on bag o'quotes of course!

We will assume some intelligence on your part. You found us, didn't you? Until you prove otherwise…and there are many who have, you'll be safe. If you get hurt if you do prove otherwise, I will offer my one free Healing…but just that once. After that you get to meet a special pair of chains, Mwahahahaa

Remember, you EARN your respect here, it's not given out freely and some may never know the pleasure.

Welcome to our little rounded corner! It’s a great time!

Enjoy!
Zaela Sedai, Official Theoryland Greeter, Mistress of Novices

Figbiscuit
07-23-2013, 09:29 AM
All the UK fans on this board moved to Australia. ;)

Welcome, Mike.

Hey!!

Welcome Mike, whereabouts in the UK do you hail from? I live in West Yorkshire, and contrary to what Zombie would have you believe there are a few more of us kicking around here...

Sadly, like Sare, I am now going to have to go and re-read all the old noob threads. Dearie dearie me.

And stick with the series Mike, it's worth it :cool:

Figbiscuit
07-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Sadly, like Sare, I am now going to have to go and re-read all the old noob threads. Dearie dearie me.

*brain melts*

GonzoTheGreat
07-23-2013, 09:52 AM
*brain melts*
Note for non-European viewers: that's because those Brits suddenly have warm weather, presumably as a present to welcome the new heir to the throne.

maacaroni
07-23-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm one of the twenty percent republicans in the UK (as in non-monarchist). Cromwell had it right.

And I'm also delightfully tanned and we're thrashing the Aussies at cricket, winning the tour de france, the lions and Wimbledon. Things are good in the UK at the moment.

Welcome to the board, Mike.

If you haven't finished the books yet, well you will enjoy them, they drag on a bit towards book 10 but it picks up again. And no, I don't know what happened with the pipe thing at the end either.

Figbiscuit
07-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Note for non-European viewers: that's because those Brits suddenly have warm weather, presumably as a present to welcome the new heir to the throne.

As it happens the good weather lasted until the new heir. This morning there were raging thunderstorms across the UK. Presumably that means Kate has given birth to the anti-christ, good for her I say. We could do with a bit of a shake-up. Starting with the Queen cutting Charles out of the succession and passing the throne straight to Wills.

Nazbaque
07-23-2013, 03:10 PM
*brain melts*

*Evil laugh*

maacaroni
07-24-2013, 08:33 AM
As a republican, I'm pinning my hopes on Charles' buffoon nature to shine.

He's been petitioning ministers about homeopathy, ffs. Sugar pills. Let's not even talk about overstepping his constitutional role.

Numpty and short may he reign.

(I live in Worcester, the faithful city, the last city to fall to Cromwell. The most royalist place on earth. The fawning is truly awful.)

GonzoTheGreat
07-24-2013, 09:32 AM
As a republican, I'm pinning my hopes on Charles' buffoon nature to shine.

He's been petitioning ministers about homeopathy, ffs. Sugar pills. Let's not even talk about overstepping his constitutional role.

Numpty and short may he reign.
Frankly, I think that Elisabeth is simply waiting until Charles drops dead. A cunning plan which cannot fail.

Terez
07-24-2013, 12:05 PM
As it happens the good weather lasted until the new heir. This morning there were raging thunderstorms across the UK. Presumably that means Kate has given birth to the anti-christ, good for her I say. We could do with a bit of a shake-up. Starting with the Queen cutting Charles out of the succession and passing the throne straight to Wills.

Frankly, I think that Elisabeth is simply waiting until Charles drops dead. A cunning plan which cannot fail.
I could have sworn that I read years ago (after Diana died) that he would probably abdicate when the time came...of course I had to ask Wert the other day who Prince Philip was, so that tells you how much I pay attention to the royals.

GonzoTheGreat
07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I could have sworn that I read years ago (after Diana died) that he would probably abdicate when the time came...of course I had to ask Wert the other day who Prince Philip was, so that tells you how much I pay attention to the royals.
There's no way that Charles would abdicate if he got his behind on the throne. Even if he would at some time have contemplated that (which I don't believe), Camilla wouldn't let him. She wants to be queen.
As for Philip: if you meet him and he does not insult you, then you are definitely a non-entity.

Zombie Sammael
07-24-2013, 09:10 PM
There's no way that Charles would abdicate if he got his behind on the throne. Even if he would at some time have contemplated that (which I don't believe), Camilla wouldn't let him. She wants to be queen.
As for Philip: if you meet him and he does not insult you, then you are definitely a non-entity.

(emphasis mine)

Not a queen; the queen.

maacaroni
07-25-2013, 04:53 AM
(emphasis mine)

Not a queen; the queen.

And you...in Republican New South Wales? Ol' blubber Kevin Rudd want's Betty out, doesn't he?

Terez
07-25-2013, 11:52 PM
He just moved there to be with his woman. He's from somewhere in Toryland...I forget where...also he's making a GOT reference (not to be confused with a SOIAF reference).

Ivhon
07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
oh blast, I went and found my newbie-thread (http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/775/traditionally-quothelloquot)

December 2003 :eek: that's... that's... almost 10 years ago!

I notice that you did not get an official Greeting. And since it was not my shank that you didn't, I'm comfortable saying that I knew there was a reason I feel an affinity for you. You see, I didn't get a Greeting either....(of course, the person to whom that barb is directed will almost certainly not read this post)

Oh yeah....Welcome Mike!

Isabel
07-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Lol, sorry for hijacking your newbie thread:):)
Pff, lots of familiar people, i miss the people who dont post anymore:(

Nazbaque
07-26-2013, 05:31 PM
What are you talking about Isabela? Hijacking is what noob threads are for!

Isabel
07-26-2013, 06:32 PM
What are you talking about Isabela? Hijacking is what noob threads are for!

*kicks Naz for calling me Isabela* i thought i trained you all better:)
And yes hijacking can be fun, but didnt remember anmore i did it in Doris thread.
I still like dutchies better, than dutchmen.

Nazbaque
07-26-2013, 06:52 PM
*kicks Naz for calling me Isabela* i thought i trained you all better:)

Was I too subtle again? You spelled hijacking as hijscking so add an a for you

Zombie Sammael
07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
And you...in Republican New South Wales? Ol' blubber Kevin Rudd want's Betty out, doesn't he?

I'm not in NSW, I'm too close to it. Just like I was too close to actual Wales when I was in the UK. It's a joke, for those who were paying attention.

Also lol at referring to Lupus Deus Est as "my woman", Terez. She'll have your hide for that if she sees it. ;)

Isabel
07-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Was I too subtle again? You spelled hijacking as hijscking so add an a for you

I blame my ipad.

GonzoTheGreat
07-27-2013, 03:23 AM
I blame my ipad.
What is an ipd? :confused:

Isabel
07-27-2013, 06:18 AM
:mad:
:D

Sarevok
07-27-2013, 01:53 PM
LOL Gonzo :)

Purple Dragon
07-27-2013, 01:59 PM

ME!!! I, PD

It is I, LeClerck??

Nazbaque
07-27-2013, 02:01 PM
I, PD?

"A Dragon's story among the perils of online baking"
-New York Times

"An epic battle against llamas armed with stolen fire extinguishers"
-Shayol Ghul Gazette

"An insane entity with fiery sex appeal"
-Hustler

"I have never enjoyed myself this much while reading something fully clothed"
-Hugh Hefner

Purple Dragon
07-27-2013, 02:03 PM
I, PD?

"A Dragon's story among the perils of online baking"
-New York Times

"An epic battle against llamas armed with stolen fire extinguishers"
-Shayol Ghul Gazette

-Hustler

"I have never enjoyed myself this much while reading something fully clothed"
-Hugh Hefner

aaaah my lad, but these days i stick with being a czech magnet ;)

Sarevok
07-27-2013, 02:04 PM
-Naz, about PD
:eek:

Now, who gets to put that in his/her sig?

Nazbaque
07-27-2013, 02:06 PM
:eek:

Now, who gets to put that in his/her sig?

I was actually talking about bane sare

Purple Dragon
07-27-2013, 02:11 PM
I was actually talking about bane sare

~assumes Crealer Identity~

"coooomeee my pretties and let me... entertain you..."

Sarevok
07-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Now: 3 people in chat! :D

tworiverswoman
07-27-2013, 02:16 PM
~assumes Crealer Identity~

"coooomeee my pretties and let me... entertain you..."
Which only makes sense to the people in the D&D game in which you voice act the slimy bastid....

Welcome to the insanity, Mike. You are getting a crash course in the Wacky Side (it's like the Dark Side but we have cookies!)

yks 6nnetu hing
07-29-2013, 01:19 AM
I notice that you did not get an official Greeting. And since it was not my shank that you didn't, I'm comfortable saying that I knew there was a reason I feel an affinity for you. You see, I didn't get a Greeting either....(of course, the person to whom that barb is directed will almost certainly not read this post)

Oh yeah....Welcome Mike!

I did get a spearate greeting thread later on form Hopper. Does that mean there's now less affinity :(

DahLliA
08-01-2013, 02:44 AM
A bit late to the party.

But welcome!

<-- beer
jolly good tea -->

Zaela Sedai
08-01-2013, 10:29 AM
I did get a spearate greeting thread later on form Hopper. Does that mean there's now less affinity :(

I was late, but he got a greeting between me puking my brains out LOL. I should be faster next time :p