PDA

View Full Version : GRRM.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I am too lazy to dig for the most recent and pertinent thread soooooooo

New thread

Just finished Dance With Dragons. Yeah I finally went back after being so aggravated after 40 or so pages at the initial release. I am still aggravated

- nipples on a breastplate. I believe the term was used at least 4 times. Really?
- male rape is apparently the newest way to get general offense out there. Repetitive throughout the book. Apparently we needed to be hammered with this.
- shocking deaths really aren't so hard to see coming anymore
- Dany is becoming pointless
- did his editor or his agent ask how many sci-fi-ish bits can he add for the (future) television CGI?
- Apparently everyone knows Dany is in Mereen and wants to marry her. Except the Lannisters. Whatever.
- we get it. Theon is suffering
- Bran's storyline is just dumb and apparently only meant to give us a way to hear historical back stories
- And finally. For those that complained of RJ's extensive use of bath scenes.....seriously did you count the FUCKING PAGES UPON PAGES OF FOOD DESCRIPTIONS??????? Pad some more dear George.

Disappointed beyond words.

GonzoTheGreat
08-05-2013, 03:56 AM
Wasn't she rather pointless already?

- And finally. For those that complained of RJ's extensive use of bath scenes.....seriously did you count the FUCKING PAGES UPON PAGES OF FOOD DESCRIPTIONS??????? Pad some more dear George.
Probably not as bad as Jamie Oliver's books. Though, admittedly, he has some sort of excuse for it.

Davian93
08-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I am too lazy to dig for the most recent and pertinent thread soooooooo

New thread

Just finished Dance With Dragons. Yeah I finally went back after being so aggravated after 40 or so pages at the initial release. I am still aggravated

- nipples on a breastplate. I believe the term was used at least 4 times. Really?
- male rape is apparently the newest way to get general offense out there. Repetitive throughout the book. Apparently we needed to be hammered with this.
- shocking deaths really aren't so hard to see coming anymore
- did his editor or his agent ask how many sci-fi-ish bits can he add for the (future) television CGI?
- Apparently everyone knows Dany is in Mereen and wants to marry her. Except the Lannisters. Whatever.
- we get it. Theon is suffering
- Bran's storyline is just dumb and apparently only meant to give us a way to hear historical back stories

Disappointed beyond words.

Pretty much summed it up. Seriously...get a fvcking editor George...and listen to him.

GonzoTheGreat
08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Pretty much summed it up. Seriously...get a fvcking editor George...and listen to him.
Or her. Or it, if applicable. (What other options are there for editors?)

Uno
08-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Wasn't she rather pointless already?

Depends. If Aegon stays around, then she is quite pointless. If he proves ephemeral, which wouldn't be a great surprise the way things have been going in that series, then what's the point of introducing him at this juncture? Either way, someone's pointless.

Davian93
08-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Depends. If Aegon stays around, then she is quite pointless. If he proves ephemeral, which wouldn't be a great surprise the way things have been going in that series, then what's the point of introducing him at this juncture? Either way, someone's pointless.

Aegon is almost certainly a Mummers Dragon...aka False Dragon aka, Blackfyre bastard being passed off as a true Targaryen.

GonzoTheGreat
08-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Aegon is almost certainly a Mummers Dragon...aka False Dragon aka, Blackfyre bastard being passed off as a true Targaryen.
Aegandred?

Sarevok
08-12-2013, 11:43 AM

My only guess would be to pave the way for Dany. As in: Aegon conquers a bunch of land, Dany comes in, there's some drama, Aegon dies, all that land goes to Dany, giving her a headstart compared to having to do all from scratch.

GonzoTheGreat
08-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Alternative: they marry and live happily ever after.

Uno
08-12-2013, 12:02 PM
My only guess would be to pave the way for Dany. As in: Aegon conquers a bunch of land, Dany comes in, there's some drama, Aegon dies, all that land goes to Dany, giving her a headstart compared to having to do all from scratch.

Well, I've got an inkling that he could be the third head of the Targaryen dragon, assuming that Jon Snow is Rhaegar's son with Lyanna. But I'm not too sure of that. Makes too much sense.

Sarevok
08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Possible... but Dany has spent so much time building up to conquering Westeros that I don't really see her sharing.

Davian93
08-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Well, I've got an inkling that he could be the third head of the Targaryen dragon, assuming that Jon Snow is Rhaegar's son with Lyanna. But I'm not too sure of that. Makes too much sense.

Or Tyrion is the third head after Aegon raped his mother to piss off Tywin.

maacaroni
08-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Or Tyrion is the third head after Aegon raped his mother to piss off Tywin.

Agreed.

Aegon is toast. I'm guessing with the dragons, this might be quite literal.

maacaroni
08-13-2013, 09:40 AM
I see Dance as his 'crossroads of twilight' book. He had some serious issues with continuity and his famous 'Meereenese knot' and this was the book to untangle it.

I have faith that he's back on the horse and the next book will be a cracker.

Ozymandias
08-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Possible... but Dany has spent so much time building up to conquering Westeros that I don't really see her sharing.

Has she been, though? She's been a main focus of the series to date, and she hasn't got very close to conquering Westeros. There is a civil war going on in Westeros and she has dragons + an army, and is choosing to sit in Meereen. Doesn't seem to me like she's been building up to it. Its occasionally mentioned in her story arc, is all.

Mort
08-13-2013, 12:58 PM
So many people believe that Jon survived that it would be pretty ballsy to make them wait for a ressurrection of some kind that never comes. Plain friggin dead. I wish he's alive though, but it's time for another shocker, not much else is worth a damn.

Zombie Sammael
08-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Has she been, though? She's been a main focus of the series to date, and she hasn't got very close to conquering Westeros. There is a civil war going on in Westeros and she has dragons + an army, and is choosing to sit in Meereen. Doesn't seem to me like she's been building up to it. Its occasionally mentioned in her story arc, is all.

It's hardly "occasionally mentioned", it's the main motivation for her actions, right back to her first chapter of the first book.

On one hand, not taking advantage of the civil war in Westeros might seem foolish, as it gives away a great advantage. On the other, it might be pretty shrewd. A protracted civil war is likely to produce a pretty weak and unpopular ruler at the end. Dany can then sweep in and defeat this already weakened ruler (with aforementioned armies and dragons) rather than having to contend with multiple factions. Plus she gets time to rule with training wheels in Meereen. Further, it helps to legitimise her rule in the Seven Kingdoms by placing her as one true ruler defeating a single usurper, rather than being one of many claimants to the throne.

Of course, then there's the army of zombies to deal with, but no-one really cares about that.

GonzoTheGreat
08-14-2013, 04:07 AM
So many people believe that Jon survived that it would be pretty ballsy to make them wait for a ressurrection of some kind that never comes. Plain friggin dead. I wish he's alive though, but it's time for another shocker, not much else is worth a damn.
Having Dany snuff it would also be fairly surprising to a lot of people, I think.

Seeker
04-24-2014, 05:18 PM

When you start scheduling the shockers, they're no longer shocking

GonzoTheGreat
04-25-2014, 04:47 AM
Replying again to the OP because I'd overlooked something very obvious:

Is there a connection between these two? If not, why not? It would seem to make for a neat twist to the story, if Dany changed into magically animated steel (or whatever) armor.