PDA

View Full Version : Riftwar series?

Southpaw2012
08-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Have any of you read the Riftwar series by Raymond Feist? I just began it after not being able to get into Covenant. Worth it?

GonzoTheGreat
08-09-2013, 05:05 PM
The first books are definitely worthwhile. After that Feist gets himself a bit into the standard problem of D&D: his heroes become too powerful, so they need ever more powerful opponents to pop up out of the woodworks, and it gets repetitive.
I can advise you to also read the Empire spin off he wrote together with Janny Wurts. That's a very good trilogy.

Southpaw2012
08-09-2013, 06:30 PM
When u say first books do you mean original trilogy?

Weird Harold
08-09-2013, 07:19 PM
The first books are definitely worthwhile. After that Feist gets himself a bit into the standard problem of D&D: his heroes become too powerful, so they need ever more powerful opponents to pop up out of the woodworks, and it gets repetitive.
I can advise you to also read the Empire spin off he wrote together with Janny Wurts. That's a very good trilogy.
^^^ What he said.

Other than the original Riftwar series (first five books) and the Daughter of Empire series with Janny Wurtz, the franchise degenerates into "RPG Transcripts."

Isabel
08-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah, but it can also be fun too read. They were my summer vacation books for one or two years;)
It doesn't all have to be high class.

Just don't expect complicated things and some things do get repetitive, but it can be fun!

Figbiscuit
08-20-2013, 05:40 AM

Just started the first book of that. So far so as could be expected...

Figbiscuit
08-29-2013, 05:00 AM
And now I've finished it. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would when I first started. The plot was quite predictable, and the characters slightly one-dimensional, or stereotypical at least, but the story never got boring and moved along at a good pace. I will be reading the others in the trilogy, although not exactly rushing out to buy them immediately..

GonzoTheGreat
08-29-2013, 06:26 AM
And now I've finished it. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would when I first started. The plot was quite predictable, and the characters slightly one-dimensional, or stereotypical at least, but the story never got boring and moved along at a good pace. I will be reading the others in the trilogy, although not exactly rushing out to buy them immediately..
Some stereos get typed a bit less in those following books, though a couple of others are added to make up for that.

Figbiscuit
09-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Some stereos get typed a bit less in those following books, though a couple of others are added to make up for that.

Good to know. My last post sounds a bit harsh now I see it again, it wasn't supposed to be. I enjoyed the book, it reminded me of David Eddings, but I think that was the slightly one-dimensional nature of the characters. I always loved those books tho, even when he brought all his characters back and repeated the entire story again for the Sparhawk series.

Isabel
09-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Haha, yeah Feist is like Eddings:) only i would put him a little bit above it:D

Davian93
09-03-2013, 09:39 AM
^^^ What he said.

Other than the original Riftwar series (first five books) and the Daughter of Empire series with Janny Wurtz, the franchise degenerates into "RPG Transcripts."

^^^^^What they both said...the first few are worthwhile.

Haha, yeah Feist is like Eddings only i would put him a little bit above it

I really liked Eddings...when I was 12. I still read them to remember that time period and they are definitely one dimensional but nonetheless a fun read. I tended to like the Sparhawk books more than the Garion ones though.

Isabel
09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I guess it depends on which eddings series you read first:) i read belgarion first, so i liked that one better,

Davian93
09-03-2013, 02:19 PM
I guess it depends on which eddings series you read first:) i read belgarion first, so i liked that one better,

Yeah, I read Sparhawk first so I like that one more. Then I read The Belgariad and then The Mallorean (aka Belgariad on another continent) and then The Tamuli (aka The Elenium on a different continent).

He's still better than Terry Brooks or Terry Goodkind. Maybe guys named Terry suck at writing Fantasy.

Weird Harold
09-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Not necessarily. I actually prefer the Elder Gods series despite having read all of Eddings works in the order they were published.

GonzoTheGreat
09-04-2013, 03:04 AM
He's still better than Terry Brooks or Terry Goodkind. Maybe guys named Terry suck at writing Fantasy.
Could be, yeah. But being named Terry does not automatically make you a bad writer. I do like the travel stories that Terry Pratchett writes about visiting the Discworld.

Figbiscuit
09-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I really liked Eddings...when I was 12. I still read them to remember that time period and they are definitely one dimensional but nonetheless a fun read. I tended to like the Sparhawk books more than the Garion ones though.

I agree with the first two sentences, but it was always the Garion ones for me, I always wanted to be able to change myself into an animal. I enjoyed the Sparhawk books but the characters were just a little too similar. They also wrote a book called Regina, I think, did anyone ever read that? I remember enjoying it but thinking it could have been developed further than it was. I might have to dig that out to read it again...

Could be, yeah. But being named Terry does not automatically make you a bad writer. I do like the travel stories that Terry Pratchett writes about visiting the Discworld.

Indeed.