PDA

View Full Version : Flight From Shadow WoT Fan Film

Davian93
09-21-2013, 05:50 PM
http://kryptonradio.com/2013/09/20/hraefn-wulfsons-wheel-of-time-flight-from-shadow/

Interesting...I wonder how the people that own the actual WoT film rights feel about this...

It's "okay" at times at least.

Tomp
09-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Nice effort with limited means.

Hmmm, if one would extrapolate the time.
1 chapter > 20 minutes
53 chapters > 1000 minutes
1 book ~ 17 hours

Zombie Sammael
09-21-2013, 10:58 PM
I really wish I could praise the hell out of this. I mean, at least the production values were high by the standards of a fan film. They clearly went to a lot of trouble... I just wish they had gone to a bit more. Every man who can channel is a false dragon now? Gentling involves execution with A GIANT HAMMER? Channel the True Source? WTH? I think much better is possible, and if WOT has to be adapted, it deserves a better adaptation. Sorry.

Cor Shan
09-22-2013, 07:01 PM
I mean, yes, its a fan film, but there are a lot of little details they mess up. Like Matt having a short bow. Or Tam's Heron mark sword being super short.

Khoram
09-22-2013, 08:44 PM
There were a number of things I couldn't really take seriously about this. Yes, I know it's a fan film, but it would have been nice if they had tried to make sure the Myrdraal's cloak didn't, you know, blow in the wind. -_-

Death-by-Hammer clearly is foreshadowing Perrin's decision to choose the hammer over the axe. :rolleyes:

Mat and the hat, Rand and Mat being the same height, American accents for the main characters and British accents for all the townsfolk they meet.

I couldn't even make it through the entirety of it. I applaud their attempt, but I would have liked much more. At least in terms of accuracy.

suttree
09-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Kind of meh about the end result, it is an impressive effort for an amateur production however.

But let's be real here. With all of mistakes that made it into these last three books we should cut a production like this a bit of slack in terms of "accuracy".

Zombie Sammael
09-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Kind of meh about the end result, it is an impressive effort for an amateur production however.

But let's be real here. With all of mistakes that made it into these last three books we should cut a production like this a bit of slack in terms of "accuracy".

What an incredibly witty insight! Wow, I sure did chuckle for several minutes at that one. You really are on form Suttree! Now, where's the rep button, because boy, do you deserve some for that zinger! Booyah!

...seriously, mods, don't we already have a rule about bashing outside of designated threads?

Ieyasu
09-23-2013, 01:19 AM
watched it...almost turned it off after the black ajah chick got pwned in the beginning... still dont know what the fuck that was about...

I cringed a lot... and laughed at the dude with the carnival hammer...

over all, didnt like it.

WinespringBrother
09-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Sounds like I should watch this, could be entertaining just to see the effort put into it...

What an incredibly witty insight! Wow, I sure did chuckle for several minutes at that one. You really are on form Suttree! Now, where's the rep button, because boy, do you deserve some for that zinger! Booyah!

...seriously, mods, don't we already have a rule about bashing outside of designated threads?

Thread lock in 3, 2, ... meh, not worth it. Now play nice!

suttree
09-23-2013, 11:08 AM

Zinger? I'm sorry but how is what I said bashing? It is simple statement of fact.

Truthfully I find this obsession with ranting at anyone you perceive as making the slightest negative comment about the last three books extremely odd. It really was just an off handed comment but since you felt the need to respond we can go a bit deeper. I'm not trying to be incendiary here but along with the above this is one of the things that annoy me most about your posts. You don't see the disconnect in having an opinion like yours calling out those mistakes by an independent production company while waiving away the ones in the last three books by the author who was hired to finish the series?

Tollingtoy
09-23-2013, 04:48 PM
We get you don't like the last three books dude, seriously....

The beginning of that video is cringe-worthy, the rest is ok I guess, but I don't really see the point of it I suppose. Is it part of a series?

suttree
09-23-2013, 04:54 PM
We get you don't like the last three books dude, seriously....

The beginning of that video is cringe-worthy, the rest is ok I guess, but I don't really see the point of it I suppose. Is it part of a series?

So toy...what did you think about the movie? Did you have problems with the accuracy or is this something we are going to have to learn to live with in any adaption?

Khoram
09-23-2013, 06:21 PM
:facepalm:

You know, you guys are all starting to really piss me off. I haven't been posting much lately, but I at least enjoy reading thoughtful discussions on the boards. Yes, there is the occasional argument that takes place that I have come to expect, and I generally take my place on the ESC Couch to watch and enjoy the banter, but this is just ridiculous.

Suttree, your lack of respect for other posters is disappointing. I have come to respect each poster's ideas over the years I have been here, whether I think they are wrong or not, because I value their dedication to this series which we all share a love of. Many of them take their reading of the series far more seriously than I do, and do their utmost to present to the fan base their ideas and theories. That's what we at TL do. I may not participate as much in the GenWoT threads, but I have piped up a few times. Even if I don't necessarily have anything inciteful to add. I love the discussion that takes place at TL that focuses on one of my all-time favourite series.

Zombie. Zombie, Zombie, Zombie. I may not have been around when you were known as Gnat, but it certainly feels like you're falling back into your former role. I very much appreciate the new views you have given me concerning the series. You have helped me appreciate the Wheel of Time much more since you joined back up as ZS. This resorting to constant back lashes against suttree is rather denigrating.

Besides, there's the Moving On thread that you guys can both continue this argument on. I'm not stopping you. I'm just venting my frustration, and asking that you do not continue this on this thread. We are discussing the hard work of numerous fans who have put together this film for the fan base. Whether I like it or not is irrelevant. We're here to have thoughtful discussions and yes, arguments, about what could have been done better, what we wish they could have included, or what they should have known was wrong and should have done their damnedest not to include. They got some things right; they got some things wrong. I appreciate their attempts, nonetheless.

Now, can we please get back to the thoughtful and intelligent conversations I have come to love about Theoryland, and leave this ridiculous bickering behind?

*sits on the ESC Couch*

Rand al'Fain
09-24-2013, 02:29 AM
Well, certainly not the worst fan made creation I've ever seen, but certain things did stick out to me, not in a good way.

The beginning for one. Not really sure who the Black Ajah member is supposed to be. Rand and Mat are nearly the same height. The bow on Mat. The short sword on Rand (I guess I thought it would be more Katana like, but whatever). The giant carnival hammer on the random guy that can channel (where did that come from?). And that's just in the first few minutes.

GonzoTheGreat
09-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Rand and Mat are nearly the same height. The bow on Mat.
Those two can be solved simultaneously if they simply manage to get a shorter guy to play Mat. Then the bow would be (relatively speaking) the right size. But I don't think you can fault a bunch of amateurs for having to make do with whatever amateur actors they happen to have laying around.

Khoram
09-24-2013, 06:20 AM
There's always stilts, Gonzo. ;) Those, or a line of boxes while they're walking. It's what is done when Tom Cruise has to be taller than he actually is. Although the running would be more difficult, I'm sure.

GonzoTheGreat
09-24-2013, 06:47 AM
Putting Rand on stilts wouldn't fix the bow problem. Getting Tom Cruise to play Mat would, though.

Khoram
09-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Then that would pose an entirely different problem - where would they find all the really short women?

Hugh the Hand
09-24-2013, 08:00 AM
The production value was amazing for a "fan" production. They put in a ton of effort on that front.

However, I am not sure what story they were telling. Other than the names and places, nothing was right.

I actually do not have a huge problem with the intro, it is filler to help tell a casual watcher some of the evilness in the world and to skip the first whatever chapters of the book.

The channeling seemed like something out of The Last Airbender, film not cartoon.

But in the end, would anything satisfy us? I mean a super team of Francis Ford Coppola, Speilberg, Kubrick, etc, all working on the same page, with the best screenwriters and a Reborn RJ, would prob not do a job we would all like.

Hell, if they took the GoT team, added the above and RJ, we might get something we could watch.

But going back to my original point, why would "fans" put such great effort into this, but completely get the story wrong?

Rand al'Fain
09-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Those two can be solved simultaneously if they simply manage to get a shorter guy to play Mat. Then the bow would be (relatively speaking) the right size. But I don't think you can fault a bunch of amateurs for having to make do with whatever amateur actors they happen to have laying around.

I always imagined the Two Rivers longbow being like the English/Welsh longbow. About the same height as an adult man (considering when its unstringed, its mistaken for a quarter-staff).

Davian93
09-24-2013, 10:28 AM
I always imagined the Two Rivers longbow being like the English/Welsh longbow. About the same height as an adult man (considering when its unstringed, its mistaken for a quarter-staff).

Pretty much identical to a Welsh longbow from all the descriptions in the books.

Terez
09-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Suttree, your lack of respect for other posters is disappointing.Suttree shows more respect for others than most posters on this forum. It's other posters who feel he shouldn't be allowed to express his opinion that are the problem. His comment about accuracy was entirely on-topic and entirely appropriate. It's the defensiveness that is the problem. Even Brandon has commented on this.

Davian93
09-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Suttree shows more respect for others than most posters on this forum. It's other posters who feel he shouldn't be allowed to express his opinion that are the problem. His comment about accuracy was entirely on-topic and entirely appropriate. It's the defensiveness that is the problem. Even Brandon has commented on this.

I have to agree with T here...suttree was remarkably restrained in the previous thread on that subject. I get that some people dont want to hear the criticism and all but they need to get over it.

Zombie Sammael
09-24-2013, 08:55 PM
I have to agree with T here...suttree was remarkably restrained in the previous thread on that subject. I get that some people dont want to hear the criticism and all but they need to get over it.

It's not "hearing the criticism" that is the problem. It's hearing the criticism all the frickin' time, even in threads (like this one) that have absolutely nothing to do with criticism. That's why I pointed it out to you, and to Suttree - with heavy sarcasm, I know, but I prefer that to actual flaming. I think we've reached a bad point where when posters are attempting to revive the discussion they have to specifically exclude the explanation "Brandon got it wrong" so the discussion doesn't devolve into an argument about his writing flaws, perceived or otherwise. We are supposed to be hardcore fan freaks of the Wheel Of Time, not a Brandon Sanderson deconstruction club. Again, I have no problem with the debate about the quality existing - a point I apparently differ from our mods on - so long as those delivering the criticism give as good as they get from those defending the writing, but I do have a problem with these snide little asides about mistakes and writing quality in every other thread. It's as bad as the Egwene-bashing, and honestly I almost wish we could go back to that, because at least it didn't involve one side or another constantly denigrating the very works we are supposed to be here because we love.

I'm not going to get into who's a better poster or more restrained or whatever. That is actually just completely over the line for me and I've no interest in it.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-25-2013, 03:00 AM
As WSB said, play nice.

Seriously, this is starting to resemble that episode of the Big Bang Theory where Howard can't stop talking about space. Just wait until someone brings it up, ok? Bringing it up is not "hey guys, isn't this fan video neat!" Bringing it up is more along the lines of "And what is your opinion on the literary prowess of Brandon Sanderson?"

The video is very cool, especially considering it's not a big movie-studio production.

suttree
09-25-2013, 06:07 AM
so long as those delivering the criticism give as good as they get from those defending the writing,

Now that was funny.

but I do have a problem with these snide little asides about mistakes and writing quality in every other thread.

The comment was perfectly valid. Take a deep breath and step back from the edge. At this point you are quite simply seeing things that aren't there.

Tollingtoy
09-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Suttree shows more respect for others than most posters on this forum. It's other posters who feel he shouldn't be allowed to express his opinion that are the problem. His comment about accuracy was entirely on-topic and entirely appropriate. It's the defensiveness that is the problem. Even Brandon has commented on this.

l0l

Marie Curie 7
09-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Not sure how many times we have to say PLAY NICE, but here it is again: PLAY NICE.

That means keep the literary criticism OUT of the discussion when it's not directly related to the topic at hand. That also means STOP the sniping and personal digs at other posters. That means EVERYONE.

You don't really want us to lock yet another thread, do you? The Chosen get really pissy when they have to do so much forum cleaning in a short period.

Zombie Sammael
09-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Not sure how many times we have to say PLAY NICE, but here it is again: PLAY NICE.

That means keep the literary criticism OUT of the discussion when it's not directly related to the topic at hand. That also means STOP the sniping and personal digs at other posters. That means EVERYONE.

You don't really want us to lock yet another thread, do you? The Chosen get really pissy when they have to do so much forum cleaning in a short period.

This I know is not the appropriate place to say this but at least here I know I have "The Chosen's" attention: it might help if the first response to problems wasn't locking the thread and shutting down the discussion, but rather actually policing the thread to remove unnecessary comments and censure posters who are out of line. Then maybe we could have an actual literary criticism quarantine thread (like we had before) and it would stop erupting all over the place. Just my two cents.

Rand al'Fain
09-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah, that arguing is getting annoying. Just drop it people.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to an animated series of TWOT, makes special effects and characters much easier to deal with. Some editing stuff out would be required, certainly, but an animated series can certainly be possible.

For some reason I keep envisioning an animation style similar to Heavy Metal of Lord of the Rings the animated version and other 80s animated shows and movies.

Khoram
09-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Animated is a possibility. I know people have thought of a number of different ways to present WoT in a visual setting, from full length feature films, like LotR, to TV mini-series and other forms of TV shows. I've even heard of some people interested in an anime version.

I think somebody should try claymation. Just for the hell of it. So what if it takes forever to make one scene, let alone a full movie? :D

Zombie Sammael
09-25-2013, 09:01 PM
I think somebody should try claymation. Just for the hell of it. So what if it takes forever to make one scene, let alone a full movie? :D

By the time book 14 came out, not only the original animators but the original audience would be dead from old age. Good lord.

Tollingtoy
09-26-2013, 04:19 PM
After watching GOT, I'm pretty conviced TV is the only realistic way to do any justice to the story. Think about how long it took for this movie to show one small little scene of one book. There is no way movie(s) could stay true to the books

Zombie Sammael
09-26-2013, 07:02 PM
After watching GOT, I'm pretty conviced TV is the only realistic way to do any justice to the story. Think about how long it took for this movie to show one small little scene of one book. There is no way movie(s) could stay true to the books

I've discussed this with Lupus and David, and there is actually so much you'd have to cut from WOT in order to fit it into even a TV show format; even then, you'd need full 20+ episode seasons and lots of them. I'm kind of the opinion it's unadaptable, but if it is to be adapted, I see animation as the only really acceptable option. WOT is so much more sprawling than Game Of Thrones, as odd a sentence as that is to type. I think the limited POVs of ASOIAF make GOT an easier adaptation to make. They also have the advantage of an author who's still alive, able to provide consultation and write episodes.

suttree
09-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Wert has done a series of posts on his blog and at DM on this topic. Here is the latest one.

Part 4 of the essay series (http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/the-wheel-of-television-part-4_2.html) (yeah, this took a while).

In the first three (http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/wheel-of-television-bringing-wheel-of.html) parts (http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/wheel-of-television-part-2-structure.html) of (http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/wheel-of-television-part-3-shaping.html) this article series, I argued that the current plans by Red Eagle Entertainment and Universal to turn The Wheel of Time into a series of movies were impractical and unrealistic, and that adapting the books into an ongoing television series was more feasible. This especially makes more sense in the wake of the success of fantasy TV projects such as Sky's Discworld TV movies, the BBC's recently-concluded Merlin and of course HBO's Game of Thrones. I concluded that getting the series made by one of the three big remaining cable channels (Starz, AMC or Showtime) was essential to give the project the right combination of high production values and a decent amount of time to adapt the complex storyline before going on to address the issue of how you structure the series from a top-down approach. In this part I address several major technical and practical issues standing in the way of adapting the books to television.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-e6rQT-LNx7A/T1ORlBXwQJI/AAAAAAAAE6I/LISwPLA7-hQ/s400/Wheel+of+Time+Logo.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-e6rQT-LNx7A/T1ORlBXwQJI/AAAAAAAAE6I/LISwPLA7-hQ/s1600/Wheel+of+Time+Logo.jpg)

Sets and Locations
If there is one major cost saving that TV shows have over movies, it's sets. A film with a budget in the tens of millions of dollars can afford to construct a specific set for each and every scene, and use a different location in every other shot. TV shows spread their costs more widely by the use of regular, recurring sets. Think of the bridge of the Enterprise in Star Trek, the throne room in Game of Thrones or the school library in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. You can spend a fair bit of money on an impressive set and then spread that cost over dozens of episodes.

With Wheel of Time, there is one rather huge problem: there is no single standing set that could be constructed and re-used a lot in the first season (if you recall, in the hypothetical plan we are discussing the first season would adapt the first two books, The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt). The first two books are constantly on the move, taking the characters from the Two Rivers to Baerlon to Shadar Logoth to Whitebridge to Caemlyn to Shienar, and thence to Tar Valon, Cairhien and Falme. Later in the series we would get standing sets and regularly-appearing locations, such as the Royal Palace in Caemlyn and the White Tower in Tar Valon (which would debut in the first season, but would not be revisited until later), but it's a while before such places recur regularly.

This is fairly headache-inducing, although compensated for to some extent by how much of the first two books takes place outdoors. This brings its own headaches in terms of the expense and practical issues of location filming (dealing with the weather and so on), but at least is better than having to build dozens and dozens of different sets and then discard them. A surprising number of locations in the first two books are in fact pubs of different description (the Winespring Inn in Emond's Field, the Queen's Blessing, the inn in Cairhien that Rand, Hurin and Loial stay in etc). A standing 'pub set' could be built, possibly in modules, with walls and partitions that can be switched around. Combined with redressing and the use of different camera angles, this can turn one set into several different locations. The same principal can be applied to shops, houses and even palaces (the Royal Palace of Caemlyn could pull double-duty as Fal Dara, for example, if you dropped in a few partitions and redressed things).

For location filming, Wheel of Time does have some problems with how much of it is set in large cities (especially later on, when scenes unfold near-simultaneously in Caemlyn, Cairhien and Ebou Dar). Caemlyn, for example, would likely have to be a real medieval-looking city, possibly in Europe, just as both Mdina in Malta and Dubrovnik in Croatia have stood in for King's Landing on Game of Thrones. Given the weird and otherwordly nature of Shadar Logoth, on the other hand, it might be possible to get away with realising that city through small set-pieces and CGI backdrops (CGI is of course a powerful and useful tool but we are not at the stage yet where full CGI sets and locations are believable or affordable on such a scale).

As for where the series should be filmed, there are quite a few options. Eastern Europe is both affordable and would have the right look for most of the main continent. The Republic of Ireland (probably not Northern Ireland, since a lot of the more interesting locations have already been used by GoT) would also be an attractive option. Morocco or the American West (heavily CGI-enhanced) could also be viable options for the Aiel Waste.

Costumes
Costuming is probably the least-challenging aspect of the production, thanks to both Robert Jordan's clear descriptions in the books and the availability of costumes and costumer designers familiar with the appropriate period.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fvWuaJv3ZD4/UauPZbu0Z5I/AAAAAAAAIww/II1_fteQs-A/s400/Trolloc.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fvWuaJv3ZD4/UauPZbu0Z5I/AAAAAAAAIww/II1_fteQs-A/s1600/Trolloc.jpg)
"Awesome. I want 100,000 of them for the next shot."

Prosthetics
Wheel of Time features a large number of non-human creatures, including the friendly Ogier and the hostile Shadowspawn: Trollocs, Myrddraal, Draghkar and so on. Some of these creatures appear infrequently enough that they can be rendered in CGI: the Green Man immediately comes to mind. Draghkar and Darkhounds also appear infrequently enough that this should be viable. Trollocs and Ogier are more difficult to achieve. Loial is a fairly major character with a lot of screentime. Rendering him in CGI would require a Gollum-level performance and technology to achieve satisfactorily, neither of which may be available on a TV budget and time schedule. On the other hand, prosthetics/animatronics large enough to depict the Ogier as described in the books may be stiff and unconvincing. This is something that would require screentesting to find the best solution.

It should be possible to depict Trollocs by just using large extras with prosthetics. A mix-and-match of prosthetics could be made available to blend the different animal parts together to make each Trolloc unique (or as unique as possible), rather like how the creatures themselves are created in the books. CGI would be used for scenes with large numbers of Trollocs (which is most of them) to render more of them in the background.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SWEYFlaCg5E/UauPBN3mcdI/AAAAAAAAIwo/kQFIpQtk_JE/s400/Dumai%27s+Wells.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SWEYFlaCg5E/UauPBN3mcdI/AAAAAAAAIwo/kQFIpQtk_JE/s1600/Dumai%27s+Wells.jpg)
"More lightning bolts!"
"Not too many, they cost $10,000 a time!"
The One Power
The One Power is one of the most detailed magic systems ever created, with a lot of complex rules on how it works, how it's detected and what the different types of the Power can do. Depicting the One Power on screen risks looking cheesy - people sticking their hands out and firebolts roaring off - and depicting people glowing when they embrace the Source could be confusing (as only those able to use the Power can sense it when others are using it).

The best way to handle this is as it is in the books, with 'our' characters initially unable to see or sense the Power itself, only its effects (i.e. someone pointing and the ground exploding or mist appearing). As our core characters become more acquainted with the Power, then we can start to see POV shots from them, showing the glow of the Power (I'm thinking a subtle haloing effect rather than people blazing with the light of a thousand suns). We'll only see this if we have a POV character in the scene who can sense the Power, otherwise they'll just see the effects.

A related issue is how to handle the issue of Aes Sedai ageing. As book-readers know, Aes Sedai gain an 'ageless' appearance as they get older, so that it becomes impossible to tell whether a woman is in her 20s or 40s (and that appearance may be only a reflection of their true age, as Aes Sedai can live for several centuries). Such an effect would be prohibitively expensive to achieve with CGI - 'de-aging' Moiraine alone in her every appearance in the series would cost a fortune, not to mention the problem being exasperated when a dozen Aes Sedai appear in the same scene - so this would have to be a practical make-up effect. If unconvincing or too odd-looking, this may have to be an element from the books that is dropped or perhaps changed to something less notable.

There are obviously a lot more complexities and practicalities that would have to be addressed to make these books into a TV show, but these were a few thoughts on how you'd achieve some basic questions.

This may be the last entry in this blog series, though I may do one more focused on how you'd write and structure the first episode, to put some of these ideas into practice.

GonzoTheGreat
09-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Simply turn it into a series of television series, with one episode per chapter, and seasons' pilots from the prologues. Epilogues can either be their own episode, or be added to the one made from the last chapter of that series.

Note: some calendar reform may be needed to fit enough weeks into a year for for instance TDR.

Cor Shan
09-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Film EoTW, TGH, TDR as movies, ignore the rest of the series. Those are the 3 most coherent novels and they actually tell a story, the journey of Rand to accept who he is (mostly).

Tollingtoy
09-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Wert has done a series of posts on his blog and at DM on this topic. Here is the latest one.

That's interesting! Thanks for posting!

Hugh the Hand
09-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Sure... and it can end with:

"In time he became a King by his own hand, but that is another story"

Seeker
11-02-2013, 01:36 AM

Oh, you know, Zombie, that's just part of Suttree's crusade to hijack every thread and remind us just how much he hates the end of the series.

The only real problem I had was the acting - which was atrocious even by fan film standards. I half wished the Black Sister had a mustache so she could twirl it. I also love the Myrdraal's reaction.

"Wait! She's proposing a plan that could actually result in victory! SHE MUST DIE BEFORE WORD OF THIS SPREADS!"

And seriously, Aes Sedai, do you have to go all Goku on us?

Seeker
11-02-2013, 01:58 AM
This is what I thought of when I saw the Aes Sedai at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w

Also, Rand with the lightning hands. It's a cool effect but kind of makes no sense plotwise. Remember that Rand has no idea he can channel yet. Lightning arcing between his fingertips would be a pretty big tip off. And to Mat as well.

The other things like Rand and Mat being the same height... That's not a valid complaint. Characters never look quite right in film adaptations. The villagers calling a man who can channel a false dragon, that's justified under "hicks are dumb as rocks." Remember, someone in Emond's Field thought the Dragon and the Dark One were the same thing.

It's the acting that kills it.

Rand al'Fain
11-04-2013, 01:56 AM
This is what I thought of when I saw the Aes Sedai at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w

Also, Rand with the lightning hands. It's a cool effect but kind of makes no sense plotwise. Remember that Rand has no idea he can channel yet. Lightning arcing between his fingertips would be a pretty big tip off. And to Mat as well.

The other things like Rand and Mat being the same height... That's not a valid complaint. Characters never look quite right in film adaptations. The villagers calling a man who can channel a false dragon, that's justified under "hicks are dumb as rocks." Remember, someone in Emond's Field thought the Dragon and the Dark One were the same thing.

It's the acting that kills it.

Actually, its mentioned several times throughout the series (well, several times per book, really) that Rand's height, outside of the Aiel, makes him pretty easy to spot and keeps him standing out, even in comparison to Mat and Perrin (who are both, taller than the norm, but not as tall as Rand).

Daekyras
11-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Actually, its mentioned several times throughout the series (well, several times per book, really) that Rand's height, outside of the Aiel, makes him pretty easy to spot and keeps him standing out, even in comparison to Mat and Perrin (who are both, taller than the norm, but not as tall as Rand).

I was under the impression that Mat was short.

Although, Melindhra did inform us that he is "as tall as a man needs to be"...

Seeker
11-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Yes, but that's not why it's an invalid criticism. In a book, the author can paint a picture of a character in any way that he imagines. A film, however, is limited by whatever actors are available. And most people just aren't that tall.

Zombie Sammael
11-04-2013, 07:40 PM
It's also true that when casting a dramatic interpretation, you want the best actor possible to play the main part whether or not he physically matches the description in the books. A film will always be an adaptation, and it might be enough for Rand to stand out simply because of his unusual red hair - a feature that can easily be achieved by a make-up department. Other than the fact that Aiel are said to be tall and it hints at Rand's heritage early on, when does his height ever really play a major role in the plot? It doesn't, and even the ethnic characteristics of the Aiel are open to adaptation and interpretation as fits the needs of the production.

That said, I didn't really feel this production needed anything, other than substantial rewrites. :P

GonzoTheGreat
11-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Other than the fact that Aiel are said to be tall and it hints at Rand's heritage early on, when does his height ever really play a major role in the plot?
When he is dodging searchers in Fal Dara, having to stoop so a to hide his height?
When he hardly fits in the traveling device the AS have provided for him on the journey from Cairhien to Tar Valon?
When the DO has to spent a lot of effort finding a Rand-sized body for dead Ishamael to be stuffed into? Admittedly, those chapters did not make it into the actual books, but does that make them less important for the plot?

mogi67
01-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Just watched this. Can't believe they threw a "bloody ashes" in there, lmao. The acting was pretty bad. The film could have used a more Lynchian edge, I think.