PDA

View Full Version : Tenobia

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Why did Graendal want Tenobia dead?

When Agelmar is confronted by Lan about his treachery, it begins to dawn on him the things he has set in motion. One of the things he says is:

"Queen Tenobia," Agelmar said. "I've sent her into danger without understanding what I'd done. Whoever put these plans into my head wanted her dead!"

We know it was Graendal who was manipulating their minds through dreams. But, we also know Lanfear was aware of this as she gave Perrin the necessary information to deduce what was going on. I think she had reasons to show Perrin this.

Lanfear later shows her cards as wanting to hold power with PERRIN. What better way than to follow Grandal's treachery with a few quick additional suggestions, allowing the Tenobia's throne to open up. Next in line is Bashere. But Lanfear eliminates this obstacle by having Perrin uncover the betrayal, making him untrustworthy at the very least, and getting him killed in the best scenario. This opens the door for Perrin (via Faile) to take the throne. Nice stepping stone for holding the Borderland area powers with Perrin, especially if Lan dies as well--the Agelmar plans were likely to pan out in her mind.

I am still in the middle of my re-read, so I am looking for any indication that Lanfear is manipulating other situations, including where Faile ends up.

It just doesn't click in my mind that all Lanfear is doing in this books is jumping around in the wolf dream and following Perrin around. She is plotting and maneuvering in other ways to set the stage for AFTER she kills Rand.

GonzoTheGreat
10-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Makes sense, this.

Of course, it is also possible that Graendal and Tenobia had met. If so, that too would explain it. :p

ShadowbaneX
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
As was revealed at Maradon, the Dark One wants to break people's spirit, their will to fight. What better way of doing that then killing the monarch? Elayne was targeted as likely were the other leaders.

Weird Harold
10-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Lanfear later shows her cards as wanting to hold power with PERRIN.

Lanfear wanted to hold (share) power with Perrin (or Rand or Mat) in much the same way that Elizabeth II shares power with her ugly little lapdogs.

Zombie Sammael
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Lanfear wanted to hold (share) power with Perrin (or Rand or Mat) in much the same way that Elizabeth II shares power with her ugly little lapdogs.

That is a really uncalled for way to refer to the Conservative Party. Why do you have to bring politics into this? :p

If you mean the corgis, everyone knows they're really in charge.