PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the Dragon Reborn

Tollingtoy
11-23-2013, 07:01 AM
I was thinking a bit about the BA activity to find the Dragon after he was reborn, when any boy or man that was seen to be too lucky was killed. From the DO's POV, would this really be an effective solution? If the DR was killed as an infant, wouldn't the Pattern just spin out another with the Dragon soul?

GonzoTheGreat
11-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Quite likely. But the timing was important, and if Rand (or Rand reborn) had had a year less for all of his activities, then he would still have been in a pre Dragon Mount epiphany mindset, which would have helped the Shadow quite a bit.

Then again, according to the available testimony, Ishamael, who supposedly consulted the DO on this, was not at all happy with the Dragon Hunting. So it is also possible that the Shadow didn't want it to happen at that time at all.

Davian93
11-25-2013, 09:08 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious that the BA was acting completely on its own accord with zero imput from higher. I'm also guessing that the Shadow is not one of those organizations that likes its lowly minions to act independently like that. Probably why Ishy punished them so much for killing an Amyrlin and for the Purges they engaged in.

GonzoTheGreat
11-25-2013, 09:33 AM
On the other hand, if you have an organisation where the CEO is regularly unavailable for decades, then some independent action would seem to be necessary. So it seems more likely that it was these actions, rather than actions in general, which were disapproved of.
How the BA was supposed to know that? Good question, and one that, in hindsight, they probably would have liked the answer to in advance.

finnssss
12-28-2013, 01:38 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious that the BA was acting completely on its own accord with zero imput from higher. I'm also guessing that the Shadow is not one of those organizations that likes its lowly minions to act independently like that. Probably why Ishy punished them so much for killing an Amyrlin and for the Purges they engaged in.

Ishy didn't punish them for killing an Amyrlin. He only questioned them about it.
He punished and killed Jarna Malari solely for the hunting/killing of lucky boys/men. She denied any knowledge what so ever in the death of Sierin Vayu.

We find out later that the BA actually did have a hand in Sierin's death but it was not a group scheme. Just Chesmal acting on her own manipulating the Reds into doing it.

Davian93
12-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Ishy didn't punish them for killing an Amyrlin. He only questioned them about it.
He punished and killed Jarna Malari solely for the hunting/killing of lucky boys/men. She denied any knowledge what so ever in the death of Sierin Vayu.

We find out later that the BA actually did have a hand in Sierin's death but it was not a group scheme. Just Chesmal acting on her own manipulating the Reds into doing it.

The description of his "questioning" didn't really seem all that friendly...FWIW. Kinda sounded like near torture to me. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go dig up the quote.

GonzoTheGreat
12-30-2013, 09:14 AM
The description of his "questioning" didn't really seem all that friendly...FWIW. Kinda sounded like near torture to me.
Nah, it was just standard "treatment for displeasing minions", not real torture at all.