PDA

View Full Version : One thing I really would have liked,

Rand al'Fain
11-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Was for there to be more POVs from Tuon. A major character, but only had a handful of POVs, and those were rather interesting to read.

Anybody else wish there was one more thing in the series, like more POVs of a certain character or something?

Seeker
11-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Okay, this is for the entire series, start to finish.

Snappier dialogue (particularly in those middle books)

A little more detail about the mechanics of the One Power. Asmodean was supposed to teach Rand how to counter weaves he can't see. What exactly does that entail.

Better use of Aran Gar. As one of the more interesting villains, her story was disappointing.

Better use of Moiraine in the last book. Her return was both rushed and pointless

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Moiraine's return was not pointless: it allowed all (well, most) parties on the side of the Light to save face while giving in on their pet peeves. Maybe it could have been handled better (ie. more interesting) but that would have drawn more attention to her, which would have distracted from the actual goal of defeating the Shadow, which Moiraine didn't want. So it was probably her bullying of the authors which was responsible for the fairly summary way in which it was done.

I think that an Asunawa POV would be interesting. Now, all he was was a caricature of a Spanish Inquisitor; it would be interesting to know whether or not he believes in what he preaches.

Tollingtoy
12-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I always felt like there was more left unsaid about Asunawa. What exactly do you think he was after/up to? Control of the Whitecloaks? Dealing with the Seanchan?

Seeker
12-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Moiraine's return was not pointless: it allowed all (well, most) parties on the side of the Light to save face while giving in on their pet peeves. Maybe it could have been handled better (ie. more interesting) but that would have drawn more attention to her, which would have distracted from the actual goal of defeating the Shadow, which Moiraine didn't want. So it was probably her bullying of the authors which was responsible for the fairly summary way in which it was done.

I think that an Asunawa POV would be interesting. Now, all he was was a caricature of a Spanish Inquisitor; it would be interesting to know whether or not he believes in what he preaches.

It was pointless because it didn't really add anything to her character arc; Moiraine was just a tool to move the plot forward. There were so many things that they could have done.

A reunion with Lan and him dealing with the fallout of thinking he failed her.

Emotional bonding with Rand.

Moiraine's reactions to changes in the Tower.

Now, I don't really fault them for not doing this in the last book - there simply wasn't time given all the other things that needed to happen - but I do fault them with delaying her return until the last book. If they were going to bring back Moiraine, they should have done it sooner. And they should have worked her into the story in a more significant way.

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Bringing back Moiraine before the Dragonmount episode wouldn't have worked, so it had to be after that. In planning the last book (books, whatever), the ToG stuff was all placed in the second of the three sub-books, and Moiraine had to return after she's been rescued.
So it would have required a major reworking of the plot of the last book to get her back significantly earlier. And I suspect that BS did not really feel justified in such an undertaking considering the reason why he was writing this in the first place.