PDA

View Full Version : Sad

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Kind of feeling sad right now. Usually around this time of year we start anticipating a new release, or start getting bits to read.

For some reason it is hitting home for me, finally, that there is no more to come.

I am excited, in a different way, for the encyclopedia release.

:(

Isabel
12-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Yep, only the enceclopedia.

I understand the feeling, only i think i have been going through this proces of saying goodbye already for the last few years.

GonzoTheGreat
12-10-2013, 11:32 AM
I circumvented this by looking forward to the new Science Of Discworld paperback, which is due to appear somewhere in February.

Davian93
12-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Kind of feeling sad right now. Usually around this time of year we start anticipating a new release, or start getting bits to read.

For some reason it is hitting home for me, finally, that there is no more to come.

I am excited, in a different way, for the encyclopedia release.

:(

I am hopeful that the WoT Encylopedia will be up there with The Silmarillion for the amount of info it ends up giving up about WoT.

To the point of your post though, yes, I am sad and have been sad since I finished aMoL...and sad since RJ passed away knowing we would never get his vision of the story. I often take that sadness out on BS here on the boards and elsewhere. To be honest, I haven't reread aMoL since I finished or read any WoT at all. I just dont think I'm ready to do a full reread. It'll happen at some point and I suspect I will fall back in love with WoT, warts and all...even Crossroads of Twilight.

But yeah, totally get where you're coming from here...its funny how a book series can have this much effect on me or any of us but then here we are. Life is funny that way and I am realizing that it only gets funnier as you get older. Just liked I used to hate Thoreau but now admire him and his writing as well as his philosophies.

Good post, SBC.

GonzoTheGreat
12-10-2013, 12:24 PM
I wonder: where there also people who felt this way about the Sword of Truth series?

Zombie Sammael
12-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I wonder: where there also people who felt this way about the Sword of Truth series?

No, because unfortunately, Goodkind is still alive.

Davian93
12-10-2013, 02:40 PM
No, because unfortunately, Goodkind is still alive.

Which is a shame given that he stole all his other ideas from RJ...

Terez
12-10-2013, 04:01 PM

Much as I dreaded getting to this point, now that it's finally here, I'm more relieved than anything else.

Frenzy
12-11-2013, 01:33 AM
I stopped being the über-fangrrl a while ago. I still enjoy it, but i haven't chained myself to it like i used to.

Still jazzed about the upcoming Encyclopedia. i'm sure i'll get all sorts of bent out of shape as even more of my theories get shot down.

fdsaf3
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Which is a shame given that he stole all his other ideas from RJ...

Oh come on now, you can't forget that every single thing he wrote about personal philosophy was ripped from various Ayn Rand writings. In fact, that's my favorite thing about him. The amount of cognitive dissonance it requires to espouse Randian/Objectivist philosophy while ripping off her ideas and presenting them as his own is impressive.

Terez
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
He owned up to his Rand-love; he did not, on the other hand, own up to his RJ-love.

Davian93
12-12-2013, 07:32 AM
What about his love of rape...has he ever owned up to that?

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm sure that was all purely functional; the story just wouldn't have worked without it. ("Did it work with it?" I hear you ask. "Next question, please.")

Seeker
12-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I'm not that sad.

Quite the opposite, really. I'm glad we finally got the conclusion. WoT was fun but it felt like the series might never end.

We have Stormlight, Dresden Files and many others to look forward to. There will always be new things to read.

GonzoTheGreat
12-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Yeah, and if you do want a series that will never ever end, there's ASoIaF.

Seeker
12-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Frankly, I don't care if that one ends. I gave up after the third book.

fdsaf3
12-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Frankly, I don't care if that one ends. I gave up after the third book.

I barely got through the first book. I've seen a few episodes of the TV show, so maybe I'll start watching that.

Figbiscuit
12-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah, and if you do want a series that will never ever end, there's ASoIaF.

Ha, hahahaha. What's baffling me is all the people who are getting into the books now there's a TV series, and yet IT'S NOT A FINISHED SERIES. Plus they're selling the books as a box-set, that really grinds my gears. I haven't watched season 3 but I'm guessing it must fairly be rattling through the story, especially as the last book mostly just wandered around a lot of countryside filled with x's and z's and didn't really go anywhere?

And I also felt a pang at not having a book to look forward to, slightly circumvented by pre-ordering aMoL for a friend in paperback, due out in January. So that's kind of like it (not really, but I'm taking it anyway).

Daekyras
01-06-2014, 08:09 AM

Yes.

In Ireland we call them "touched" or say theyre "not all there"...

Daekyras
01-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Honestly, I'm not that sad.

Quite the opposite, really. I'm glad we finally got the conclusion. WoT was fun but it felt like the series might never end.

We have Stormlight, Dresden Files and many others to look forward to. There will always be new things to read.

We got a conclusion.

sorry for double post. been a while!!