PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst book narrators

Tomp
12-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Hello fellow fanatics.

I sometimes listen to audio books (for instance when I'm driving or when I take long walks).

At least half the experiece is determined by how good the narrator is.

I invite you to name (in your opinion) the best and the worst audio book narrators and name some examples of brilliantly narrated books.

Frenzy
01-08-2014, 12:50 AM
To be honest, i've never made it through a single audio book. No idea why, but they bug me. But i do love the old Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Radio show. Does that count?

Ishara
01-08-2014, 09:41 AM
The only audio book I have is one by (and read by) David Sedaris. Funny, and satirical and irreverent, read by author. Amazing.

Mort
01-09-2014, 04:17 AM
I listen to Audible.com sometimes. I've been pretty happy with most of their voice actors. For example I thought Steven Pacey did The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie pretty good.

Dunno about worst though, never had one where I couldn't keep on listening. At one point though it really bugged me when Wil Wheaton read Red Shirts by John Scalzi. A lot of "... , he said / she said" at the beginning. Stuff you normally don't think about when you read, but when you listen it stands out quite a bit. Got over it though, and it had more to do with how the book was written than what Wil Wheaton did.

Tomp
01-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Mort, I agree on Red Shirts. It was really jarring.

I thought Steven Weber read Stephen Kings "IT" really good.

I listened to Marc Thompson narrating Heir to the empire and he was really good, but they had some sound effects as well and that takes some time to get used to.

Mort
01-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Mort, I agree on Red Shirts. It was really jarring.

I thought Steven Weber read Stephen Kings "IT" really good.

I listened to Marc Thompson narrating Heir to the empire and he was really good, but they had some sound effects as well and that takes some time to get used to.

Damn IT, it's wonderous that clowns doesn't freak me out after seeing the series.

Matoyak
01-31-2014, 03:44 AM
Michael Kramer is pretty good (Sanderson books).

Kate Reading is alright (Sanderson books).

Wil Wheaton did a fantastic job on Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Nigel Planar does a good job on Discworld, though the recording quality tends to be sub-par compared to Audible's normal.

Stephen Fry did a damned amazing job on Hitchiker's Guide (the first book. The guy who followed after was alright, but no Stephen Fry).