PDA

View Full Version : Target Credit breach

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-20-2013, 09:31 AM
So annoyed, my credit/debit card was shut down as my credit union was notified I was one of...40 million people...affected.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Had to spend the morning driving to my credit union, which is in my old city, to get some paperwork done and withdraw cash for the weekend.

I am beginning to think cash transactions are the way to go from now on, but with online stuff that is impossible.

GonzoTheGreat
12-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Hey, look at it this way: if you had needed to fill up on gas before you got there, you would've had to walk. So it really isn't all that bad, is it?

Ishara
12-20-2013, 10:05 AM
This sucks, but more importantly, your financial institution needs to improve their service.

I've had my debit card/ credit card illegally accessed before. My bank calls me, personally, to alert me. They ask me security questions to verify my last purchases and once that stuff is confirmed, I have access to my acounts again and my funds are restored. If my actual card is compromised (which is much harder to do, now that they have chips), then I simply drive into any branch of my bank (which is cross country) with photo ID, and I get a new card in as long as it takes for me to get to a teller. My information is transferred and I change my password, and we're good to go.

The fact that you're restricted to cash over the weekend is preposterous! It's freaking Christmas, for starters, and nevermind if a financial emergency came up. How silly and inconveneint for you.

Sorry, Saucy. I hope your faith in humanity is restored today. :(

Mort
12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
This sucks, but more importantly, your financial institution needs to improve their service.

I've had my debit card/ credit card illegally accessed before. My bank calls me, personally, to alert me. They ask me security questions to verify my last purchases and once that stuff is confirmed, I have access to my acounts again and my funds are restored. If my actual card is compromised (which is much harder to do, now that they have chips), then I simply drive into any branch of my bank (which is cross country) with photo ID, and I get a new card in as long as it takes for me to get to a teller. My information is transferred and I change my password, and we're good to go.

The fact that you're restricted to cash over the weekend is preposterous! It's freaking Christmas, for starters, and nevermind if a financial emergency came up. How silly and inconveneint for you.

Sorry, Saucy. I hope your faith in humanity is restored today. :(

Yeah, get a better bank / credit union (??).

I get sent a card by mail when my card is either stolen, stop functioning etc. If it happens on a friday I am likely out of a card for about 5 days or so. To be able to just go in and get a new card at the bank would be nice. Once when my card stopped functioning I had to actually fill out a slip of paper with my bankacc nr and give them my ID to have cash over the weekend. Felt like I was in the middle of the 80s :)

Ishara
12-20-2013, 09:53 PM
I just got a new card today, because my 'tap' function wasn't working properly. Just pop it in the machine, type your pin, and everything is transferred to the new card. Took like, less than a minute.

Were you done your shopping, at least?

Isabel
12-21-2013, 12:47 PM
That sucks:( Hope everything works again!

yks 6nnetu hing
12-23-2013, 01:28 AM
In the grand scheme of things, this probably counts as minor hooliganism. Now imagine that happened to every bank in US; every media station, every sewage plant and every traffic control center... Thankfully, NATO (http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/news_105205.htm) is working on it.

Still, it's not the government alone that can prevent these things, it's got to be a collaboration between the gov't and the private sector; and what with confidentiality clauses that interface tends to be a total bitch.