PDA

View Full Version : One year ago today...

Marie Curie 7
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
...RJ passed away. It was obviously a sad time for all of us. I never had the opportunity to meet RJ, but the character of the man came through not only in his writing, but also in the transcripts of interviews and signing reports, and the audio and video that we have of him.

Just to remember him on this day, I thought I would post a short collection of a few interview quotes that show RJ's sense of humor (there are lots more). Some of these were posted on the main site not too long ago, and all were found in Terez's interview database. :)

As I've often said, each of my major female characters has at least one element drawn from Harriet. And I won't tell her which parts of which characters came from her. That despite the fact that, as she likes to point out, she knows where I sleep. She did figure out that she is Semirhage when the garbage doesn't get to the curb on time, though.

Q: How do you get your ideas?
RJ: I opened the closet one day and found three young women, diaphonously clad who had made themselves at home. They had hung up needle point embroidery and otherwise furnished the closet. I had a discipline stick available and beat them. Now, every day, they hand me a list of ten ideas.

In August (he usually finishes in May) the folks at Tor sequestered him in a hotel in New York City, where he finished the books in two weeks. He said he would try to get the book out on time but he figured we would rather have him finish a book late than finish his life early. When a latecomer asked when he intended to "pop out next one", Jordan responded by telling him that he once sat at a table with G. Gordon Liddy, who explained how to kill someone with chopsticks. Having found this fascinating dinner conversation, Jordan was willing to bet he could reproduce the effect with a pen.

Astrocyte: A basic question.....How do you approach Point of View in your stories?
RJ: Well, I tiptoe up to it, then I grab it by the throat, throw it down, and kick it.

Which of your characters would you most like to sit and have a cup of tea with? Why? And if you don't have a preference, which character do you think would want to sit with YOU (the Creator) and have some tea?
Robert Jordan Answers: I wouldn't really care to have tea with any of them. In the first place, since I created them, I know exactly what they would say in response to any given question or comment, word for word, which would make for boring conversation. In the second place, I've put these people through some fairly rough paces. If one of them showed up and wanted to have tea with me, I think I'd sneak out the back door and leave town for a while. No joking there; oh, no, not at all.

For Mike Hopessorrow, it took me aback a little the first time I saw myself named as the Creator, but I don't really mind. So long as you don't start believing I deserve the cap. Now when a very pretty roughly twenty-year old girl, trembling mind, said to me, "You're a god!", that I liked a lot.

:D

And although this has been posted before, it's one of my favorites - a great video about southern writers that focuses on RJ - so I thought I would link it again (http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?m=200803) (the end is where he talks about the dead mules). :)

Terez
09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
RJ was such a smartass. :D

tworiverswoman
09-17-2008, 03:39 AM
I completely forgot... probably just as well. What a depressing day that was -- though the chat room managed to get zany from time to time.

Thanks for the quotes, Marie -- those were fun.

Davian93
09-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Wow...its been a year. It feels so much longer than that.

Cary Sedai
09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Wow, I had no idea it'd been that long.

I was playing warcraft III, and my phone rang and it was Zae. I'd never talked to her before, we'd exchanged numbers but hadn't talked yet. She told me, then I said "who,what!?", she told me again, then ordered me to get into chat and to bring Zan with me. So I did.

Strangely, that's the only time Zae and I have talked on the phone.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I'd forgotten amidst the current events. At the next Nerd Night, we will have to raise a glass, again.

Crispin's Crispian
09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I didn't find out till the next evening, I think. I'm with Dav--it feels like it's been longer than a year.

SauceyBlueConfetti
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Hard to believe it has been a year. I agree, it sometimes seems longer, other times it is still such a shock. I was out of town when it happened, so I missed the chat which I regret. I think sharing the emotional aspect of it would have helped.

If the fondness, love and respect of others counts at all in the restfulness of the long sleep, the man is slumbering peacefully in the arms of angels.

Brita
09-17-2008, 02:49 PM
I was still an avid lurker in TL at the time. I remember the absolute shock when I saw it. Then I came to TL to see what everyone was saying- I remember it was just short phrases of shock and disbelief- and I had thought there would be more. But now I see you were all in chat- that makes sense.

Marie- those are great quotes- thank you!

Ishara
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Dude. I can't believe it's only been a year! I remember getting a random phonecall from SBX late at night ordering me to chat - the bf couldn't understand what was going on...lol. It was nice to be all together there....

tworiverswoman
09-17-2008, 07:02 PM
It was the most people I'd EVER seen in chat. I saved that chatlog. I think I was the 3rd or 4th person in the room -- purely by coincidence that I had logged into TL mere moments after Tam posted the news.

It was so sad -- but you can't keep that up, apparently. There was some AWFUL humor in the chatroom, on top of the weepiness.

pops taer
09-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't remember who told me. My one track mind has jumped track too many times since then. I do recall all the sadness on the board. Marie, thanks for the quotes.

irerancincpkc
09-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Wow. I can't believe that much time has passed.

Thanks for the quotes.

Marie Curie 7
09-18-2008, 03:15 PM
I was playing warcraft III, and my phone rang and it was Zae. I'd never talked to her before, we'd exchanged numbers but hadn't talked yet. She told me, then I said "who,what!?", she told me again, then ordered me to get into chat and to bring Zan with me. So I did.

Yeah, Terez called me that night to make sure I'd heard the news about RJ, and that was the first time we'd talked on the phone, too. I learned from that call that I apparently sound like a "midwestern hick". :D

Terez
09-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey, that was YOUR way of putting it. :p I just said you had a midwestern accent...

Davian93
09-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey, that was YOUR way of putting it. :p I just said you had a midwestern accent...

So T, out of curiosity, Do you have a strong southern accent?? Or is it a gulf coast creole accent? Or do you speak correct english like us folks in the Northeast?