PDA

View Full Version : The weather in the usa

Isabel
01-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Hey all,
I saw on the news that it's extremely cold in the USA (in a lot of states). So how's everyone holding up?

regards, Isabel

Sarevok
01-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Same question for the UK. too :)

GonzoTheGreat
01-05-2014, 08:49 AM
In the UK it is wet and windy. So there the problem isn't holding up, but holding on.

Isabel
01-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Haha, Gonzo :D

Seriously, I can imagine that a lot of things are closed when it's so cold. Hope everyone still has power.

ShadowbaneX
01-05-2014, 10:25 AM
I don't know about the US, but it's been -20ēC around here for most of the past two weeks. It's warming up a bit to a balmy -8ēC right now.

Isabel
01-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Thats cold, sbx. Are many things closed if its so cold, or is everyone used to it?

GonzoTheGreat
01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
It's Canada. Of course it is always that cold. If it hadn't been horribly cold, then the Russians would have gone there too, sold it to the Americans and then there wouldn't be a Canada at all.

Davian93
01-05-2014, 11:40 AM
It's ridiculously warm today (pushing 30 F actually) but it was frigid two days ago when the high was -5 F (-20 C) for the high with the low around -20 F (-29 C). With the wind chill a few days ago, it hit -40 F (-40 C) which meant that none of us wanted to go outside and I felt sorry for the dogs having to go bathroom outside even being out there with them.

Its supposed to drop back into the single digits F in a day or two though.

Yay.

Isabel
01-05-2014, 12:54 PM
So how do you prepair for the cold and the possible loss of electricity?

Tomp
01-05-2014, 02:21 PM
In southern Sweden it's been above freezing so far.

That's really unusual.

We've also received all the left overs from the UKs shitty weather.
We're more or less downhill from them (as long as the wind comes from the south west).

Davian93
01-05-2014, 02:31 PM
So how do you prepair for the cold and the possible loss of electricity?

Well, personally, I have a heat stove (primarily burns coal but can also burn wood) for my home that would keep the house warm regardless. I have a portable generator to keep the basics going at least temporarily and a good amount of bottled water/dry goods to eat. We also have a portable kerosene heater as a backup to the backup and so that we can heat a specific room as the coal stove might struggle a bit to heat the entire home in that sort of cold spell. Technically, I could use my fireplace too as a backup to the backup to the backup but that wouldn't keep the house very warm as fireplaces suck at heating a home. Whenever we burn wood in it, its more for ambiance than heat.

Most people in my area of non-electrical forms of heat available for that very reason. Water is the only issue really as my well pump is electric and it cant be powered by the portable generator. I'd need to get a standby generator to do that and a transfer switch. That's a good $10 K though so its more a dream than anything...thus, lots of bottled water is kept available.

For going outside...a really good goose down coat, arctic gloves, good winter boots (waterproof with a good liner) help. I still wear my army issued cold weather boots and gloves actually:

http://www.nexternal.com/armynavy/images/Arctic%20Gloves%200011.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MADE-in-USA-COLD-WEATHER-ICW-INSULATED-NEW-GORETEX-ARMY-BOOTS-BATES-BELLEVILLE-/00/$(KGrHqQOKjoE1uCtlYTNBNk!)q7-fQ~~1_35.JPG

Not the actual ones but photos of what they look like.

Also, you simply dont go outside for more than 10-20 min at a time unless you want frostbite on any exposed skin...as that's about all it takes at -40 C. It happens fast.

ShadowbaneX
01-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Closed? Nothing is closed. It's Canada, cold won't stop us. A meter of snow or freezing rain? That's a bit more problematic.

Southpaw2012
01-05-2014, 05:52 PM
We got about 6 inches of snow today. Expecting temps to reach around -32 degrees F wind chill by the afternoon tomorrow.

Davian93
01-05-2014, 05:54 PM
We got about 6 inches of snow today. Expecting temps to reach around -32 degrees F wind chill by the afternoon tomorrow.

6 inches...that's what we call a light flurry.

Zombie Sammael
01-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Meanwhile, we are experiencing a severe heatwave. Temperatures in excess of 40C across Queensland and even further south, lots of bushfires, air con on all day and plenty of water to drink. Going outside in this heat is NOT recommended.

Tomp
01-05-2014, 06:54 PM
lots of bushfires

Isn't there some ointment for that. :confused:

Isabel
01-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Well, personally, I have a heat stove (primarily burns coal but can also burn wood) for my home that would keep the house warm regardless. I have a portable generator to keep the basics going at least temporarily and a good amount of bottled water/dry goods to eat. We also have a portable kerosene heater as a backup to the backup and so that we can heat a specific room as the coal stove might struggle a bit to heat the entire home in that sort of cold spell. Technically, I could use my fireplace too as a backup to the backup to the backup but that wouldn't keep the house very warm as fireplaces suck at heating a home. Whenever we burn wood in it, its more for ambiance than heat.

Most people in my area of non-electrical forms of heat available for that very reason. Water is the only issue really as my well pump is electric and it cant be powered by the portable generator. I'd need to get a standby generator to do that and a transfer switch. That's a good $10 K though so its more a dream than anything...thus, lots of bottled water is kept available.

For going outside...a really good goose down coat, arctic gloves, good winter boots (waterproof with a good liner) help. I still wear my army issued cold weather boots and gloves actually:

http://www.nexternal.com/armynavy/images/Arctic%20Gloves%200011.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MADE-in-USA-COLD-WEATHER-ICW-INSULATED-NEW-GORETEX-ARMY-BOOTS-BATES-BELLEVILLE-/00/$(KGrHqQOKjoE1uCtlYTNBNk!)q7-fQ~~1_35.JPG

Not the actual ones but photos of what they look like.

Also, you simply dont go outside for more than 10-20 min at a time unless you want frostbite on any exposed skin...as that's about all it takes at -40 C. It happens fast.

Wow, thanks for the explanation Dav. So basicly everyone has to make their own preperations?
Or for example to new houses come with all the equipment and stuff you need?

Closed? Nothing is closed. It's Canada, cold won't stop us. A meter of snow or freezing rain? That's a bit more problematic.

LOL, in the netherlands things tend to get a bit problematic with like 30cm of snow;)

GonzoTheGreat
01-06-2014, 03:34 AM
LOL, in the netherlands things tend to get a bit problematic with like 30cm of snow;)
Or three millimeter. Whichever comes first.
Then again, temperatures above 30 C are also a great and obvious hazard in our country. Happily, those extremes (snow or tropical temperatures) happen no more than about once every two years, and we really can't be expected to prepare for such rare events.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-06-2014, 04:44 AM
What Gonzo said. Actually, even leaves are apparently a massive problem for NL.

-40 C is cold! especially if you've windchill on top of that... eek! Good luck guys, stay safe!

I think the worst I've experienced myself was just under -30 C and that was brutal...

The weather here is so weird this year. the winter is extremely mild so far, I've seen (night) frost only twice...

Anaiya Sedai
01-06-2014, 06:55 AM
It's mild here, 11C this morning.. but yes, holding on and not drowning seems to be the bigger problem. Winds, horizontal rain, huge waves (http://richardaustinimages.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/22-storm-pictures-of-lyme-regis-by-richard-austin/ this is the harbour and beach five minutes down the coast from us), floods...
The trampoline in our garden is now tethered to a fence, tree, swing set and the ground, so when it takes off again it can rip up half of our garden, too. Stepping outside leaves you ankle deep in mud and drenched through to the skin. It's awesome.
People here are complaining it's too wet. But in the summer they complained that it was too hot and dry. If it snowed they would be complaining that it's too cold and icy.. I am still to find out what Brits see as "acceptable" weather.

Mort
01-06-2014, 07:29 AM
In southern Sweden it's been above freezing so far.

That's really unusual.

We're more or less downhill from them (as long as the wind comes from the south west).

Yeah, we are having about 4-7 degrees C here. It's very unusual for this time of year. Should be 10 degrees less at least. And snow. I hear we are getting colder weather in about a week.

Anaiya Sedai
01-06-2014, 07:42 AM
we had another winter with "the most snow since records began" etc. predicted... it's currently throwing down hailstones the size of candy and a lot of water, but no snow in sight. I don't think I've ever experienced a winter with temperatures above 10C, even since moving to the UK ten years ago.

Ishara
01-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Isa, to answer your question, it's very much an "everyone for themselves" approach to cold weather preparations here in North America. Your house (should) come with a furnace to heat it (by gas or oil), and that's it. We have a few electric heaters, and nothing else in the way of preparation if the power goes out/ furnace dies. Clearly, Dav is his own Zombie Survival Team.

Although, here in Southern Ontario, inclement weather like this is to be exected during this season, so the freak out and buy all the milk attitude doesn't really exist, thank goodness.

GonzoTheGreat
01-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Although, here in Southern Ontario, inclement weather like this is to be exected during this season, so the freak out and buy all the milk attitude doesn't really exist, thank goodness.
Did you forget a 'P' or a 'U' there, I wonder.

Khoram
01-06-2014, 09:41 AM
I've heard tell that we're supposed to apparently go down to -50 C with wind chill at some point this week. I don't remember it ever getting that cold.

Some of us just hope for the best. :p If we lose power, we usually go over to family or friends' houses that haven't lost theirs. Although we haven't really lost power for too long since the ice storm of '98. At most it's been for a few hours, not a week or more.

Isabel
01-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Isa, to answer your question, it's very much an "everyone for themselves" approach to cold weather preparations here in North America. Your house (should) come with a furnace to heat it (by gas or oil), and that's it. We have a few electric heaters, and nothing else in the way of preparation if the power goes out/ furnace dies. Clearly, Dav is his own Zombie Survival Team.

haha:D
Thanks for the explanation Ishara. It still sounds a bit weird. If some things are needed for everyone, than shouldn't it come with the house?

GonzoTheGreat
01-06-2014, 10:08 AM
That's probably where the "caveat, empty" warning comes into play.

Figbiscuit
01-06-2014, 10:38 AM

Yeah, sorry about that...

It's mild here, 11C this morning.. but yes, holding on and not drowning seems to be the bigger problem. Winds, horizontal rain, huge waves (http://richardaustinimages.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/22-storm-pictures-of-lyme-regis-by-richard-austin/ this is the harbour and beach five minutes down the coast from us), floods...
The trampoline in our garden is now tethered to a fence, tree, swing set and the ground, so when it takes off again it can rip up half of our garden, too. Stepping outside leaves you ankle deep in mud and drenched through to the skin. It's awesome.
People here are complaining it's too wet. But in the summer they complained that it was too hot and dry. If it snowed they would be complaining that it's too cold and icy.. I am still to find out what Brits see as "acceptable" weather.

We just want proper seasonal weather in proper seasons, it's not too much to ask ;) Summer was great, we actually had hot sunny days that weren't just mid-week, it's the best summer I can remember in years. Then we had a couple of months of weird no weather, where it was just dry and mild where Autumn was supposed to be, which has made Autumn late, which is why it's now raining continously. I'm expecting winter to kick in around Feburary / March time.

Khoram
01-06-2014, 11:04 AM
We just want proper seasonal weather in proper seasons, it's not too much to ask ;) Summer was great, we actually had hot sunny days that weren't just mid-week, it's the best summer I can remember in years. Then we had a couple of months of weird no weather, where it was just dry and mild where Autumn was supposed to be, which has made Autumn late, which is why it's now raining continously. I'm expecting winter to kick in around Feburary / March time.

If you aren't careful, you're gonna have snow in July. :p

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-06-2014, 11:31 AM
With windchill it is approx -20 here today and tomorrow/tonight will be down to -40. We have 14 inches of snow too

All the schools are closed today and tomorrow for the combination of difficulty driving and fears of frostbite for kids waiting on buses. Many businesses are closed just to keep folks off the roads.

Both our cars are 4 Wheel drive, which is a necessity in Michigan most years. We do not have a generator --have discussed it but not purchased as most outages of power are usually by neighborhood and pretty random due to snow. Ice storms are the bigger fear in regards to power. Less likely though. My parents have a generator so we would just head there if need be.

When you grow up this way (like SBX and the Canadians) it is just kind of normal. This storm is setting some records but the difference in -20 and -40 isn't worth panic. You just don't go out unless you have to and you dress like Dav!

Davian93
01-06-2014, 12:38 PM

LOL...well, the first year we were in our current house, we lost power in early December for 5 days due to a severe storm. That was a wakeup call for us. We had to heat the house with the fireplace and were able to get the downstairs up to a balmy 58 degrees doing that...the rest of the house hovered in the 40s. It wasn't even all that cold either...maybe high 20s overall. It was not enjoyable and its the reason we put in a heat stove and got other backup supplies to make sure we would be okay. The upside is that our kitchen stove is gas so we can always cook regardless of power and I could get buckets of water from the stream to flush the toilet as long as its not super cold to the point where the stream is frozen solid. Having the rest of the basic emergency supplies is just common sense in Vermont (or any inclement weather zone). Assume that the gov't wont be around to help you out until 3-5 days have gone by at best...if you cant survive that long without the luxuries of modern amenities, I would recommend you reexamine your priorities and find a way to make it happen. As people like Terez could easily tell you, sometimes natural disasters take a hell of a lot longer than that to get over but never expect a magical gov't rescue team to come get you right away. Assume you're on your own.

But yeah, if you lose power here, you can go grab a cot at an emergency shelter (assuming they're not full) or you can find ways to make yourself somewhat self-reliant like we have.

Davian93
01-06-2014, 12:43 PM
With windchill it is approx -20 here today and tomorrow/tonight will be down to -40. We have 14 inches of snow too

All the schools are closed today and tomorrow for the combination of difficulty driving and fears of frostbite for kids waiting on buses. Many businesses are closed just to keep folks off the roads.

Both our cars are 4 Wheel drive, which is a necessity in Michigan most years. We do not have a generator --have discussed it but not purchased as most outages of power are usually by neighborhood and pretty random due to snow. Ice storms are the bigger fear in regards to power. Less likely though. My parents have a generator so we would just head there if need be.

When you grow up this way (like SBX and the Canadians) it is just kind of normal. This storm is setting some records but the difference in -20 and -40 isn't worth panic. You just don't go out unless you have to and you dress like Dav!

I was more worried about my chickens than anything during the recent cold snap...but shockingly they were completely fine. It pays to have a natural down coat I suppose.

On the bus stops, do you all have little shelters for the kids? We have those in VT for cold mornings for that very reason (fear of frostbite).

Yeah, all our vehicles are all-wheel drive...I had a 2 wheel drive vehicle when I first moved to VT and got rid of it quickly as its simply not practical in the winter.

Another key is making sure your vehicle is sheltered so the battery doesnt drain from the cold. If you dont have a garage, you have to pretty much hook it up to your house to get the engine to turn over in the cold. When it was -20 F outside my house, it was still 15 F in my garage which was nice. No worries about the engine not starting or the transmission fluid gelling up (that sucks too).

I definitely agree on ice storms being far, far worse than snow. Snow is easy to deal with, you cant really do anything with ice other than not drive and hope the power lines dont go down from the weight (or from trees/branches breaking off onto them).

Ishara
01-06-2014, 02:23 PM
That's right - we had several community centres open for people who were without power/ heat over the last two weeks.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-06-2014, 03:20 PM
We have 1-800 numbers to call if you see a homeless person outside and/or anyone who has no heat right now. Buses drive around and pick folks up and head to temporary shelters. Food, beds and clothing are all provided.

Sarevok
01-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, like Figgy said: it would be nice to have weather in the season it's supposed to be in. What we're having here in the Netherlands could be described as a regular autumn or a rainy spring. "winter" doesn't really come to mind... :(

Khoram
01-06-2014, 06:38 PM
It's a lot warmer than I was expecting it to be, although I only heard rumours of really cold weather. It was raining this morning and then everything froze. At least I managed to get the door on my car closed after a week. It had frozen shut last Sunday, and although I manages to get the door open, I wasn't able to close it afterwards. So it sat in my drove way for a week, getting colder and colder, with more snow falling atop it. Today, I just wanted to make sure I could start it, and lo and behold I fixed the mechanism in the door, and managed to close it.

So I'm a happy camper right now. :D

Davian93
01-06-2014, 07:24 PM
We have 1-800 numbers to call if you see a homeless person outside and/or anyone who has no heat right now. Buses drive around and pick folks up and head to temporary shelters. Food, beds and clothing are all provided.

I assume you have the same laws we do in VT where its illegal to turn off someone's heat/electricity during the winter months for that very reason?

ShadowbaneX
01-07-2014, 01:36 AM

Pretty much this. 30 cm is a lot of snow, but we've got tons of snow plows, we just dig out and keep going. More than that and that's a "dammit, I just shoveled the damn driveway" and I would imagine that it'd start to tax the municipal resources in such a way that they'd start ignoring the side streets and just concentrate on the main ones until the snow has stopped falling.

For the side streets, well, just about everyone has winter tires and generally 2 or 3 of your neighbours will have a snowblower. People will dig themselves out if necessary...or just drive over it. If you get stuck, well, people will come out of the woodwork to push you out.

Freezing rain on the other hand is a nightmare no matter how much falls. Actually, in that case it's almost better to get more than less. With more you just stay inside until it's done. With less you go about your business and then all of a sudden find that you can no long stop moving. Black Ice is nasty.

Really freezing temperatures, yeah, just stay inside if you can. Like I said, it's been -20° pretty much every day for the past 2-3 weeks with the odd exception, but the usual comments for it is: "it's bitterly cold outside, but at least it's probably good for the Canal (http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places-to-visit/rideau-canal-skateway). Oh, and don't forget to plug in your car."

Well, not so much yesterday and today as it was rather mild, hovering around zero, but it's not back down to -15° so people will probably be able to skate on it again very soon. Still, there's a hockey rink set up in the park behind my house and I still hear people playing on it, even at -20°.

Asking most Canadians about a foot of snow and -20 degree temperatures is like asking someone from California what they thought about that 6.0 Earthquake.

ShadowbaneX
01-07-2014, 01:40 AM
Although we haven't really lost power for too long since the ice storm of '98. At most it's been for a few hours, not a week or more.

That was a fun time. We weren't hit here nearly as badly as you guys were, but we did lose power for a couple of days. Lots of trees down though.

I assume you have the same laws we do in VT where its illegal to turn off someone's heat/electricity during the winter months for that very reason?

I would hope that anywhere it gets to below freezing for extended periods of time has laws like that. Otherwise it's a death sentence.

Figbiscuit
01-07-2014, 07:18 AM
On a purely selfish note I'm hoping for plenty of snow in the French Alps as I'm going boarding for a week next week, and as they are fully equipped to deal with it I have no qualms about praying for it.

And I am fully expecting snow, if not in July, then March and April. I heard a rumour today your US weather might be coming our way?

Davian93
01-07-2014, 07:28 AM
That was a fun time. We weren't hit here nearly as badly as you guys were, but we did lose power for a couple of days. Lots of trees down though.

I would hope that anywhere it gets to below freezing for extended periods of time has laws like that. Otherwise it's a death sentence.

VT still shudders when the famous Ice Storm of 98 is brought up. I cant imagine how bad it was to get that reaction out of Vermonters. Power was out for literally weeks, not days when that happened from all accounts.

WinespringBrother
01-07-2014, 08:33 AM
It was beautiful here yesterday (high 54F).

Unfortunately right now the temp is 7F (wind chill -11) burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You can have this weather :D:eek::p

Khoram
01-07-2014, 09:06 AM
That was a fun time. We weren't hit here nearly as badly as you guys were, but we did lose power for a couple of days. Lots of trees down, though.

I was still pretty young in '98, but I can still remember all the hardships we went through. Luckily, although we lost our power for a week, my grandparents didn't, so we spent a lot of time there. :D

I do remember not being able to use the TV and needing to do most anything by candle light at night. I got pretty bored (I wasn't much of a reader back then).

Trees galore were down here. I remember my neighbours losing a big chunk of tree. Back then it was pretty cool. :D

ShadowbaneX
01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
I was in high school at the time, so I remember a bit more. I'm also in suburbia (with most of our power lines underground) so it didn't take too long to get power restored. My uncle that lived about 45 minutes outside of town didn't have power for about three weeks, and Montreal and Quebec got hit worse than we did here in Eastern, Ontario. There were a lot of trees downed, and many that were bent in half that needed to be taken down.

Frenzy
01-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Isn't there some ointment for that. :confused:
www.instantrimshot.com

i'm in California, so i'm keeping my mouth shut. Except to say that we're at less than 20% of our normal snowpack for this time of year, and that's where most of our water comes from, so we're all a bit worried.

rand
01-07-2014, 10:53 PM
The wind chill on Mt. Washington, New Hampshire is currently around -80 F. And then over the weekend the temperature's supposed to be close to 60 F...

I remember the ice storm a few years ago around Christmas took out the power for something like 700,000 people in NH. Which is a lot considering there's only about a million people in the whole state to begin with.

Ishara
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
It was fracking cold yesterday. And the furnace crapped out, mostly. We stayed inside indouble layers, and I kept the space heater on in the room we were in.

As for a law that prevents power/ gas from being turned off in this weather, I'm not so sure. Our friend works in HVAC, and has to condemn furnaces that are performing dangerously and cut the gas access to the furnace, regardless of the temperature.

GonzoTheGreat
01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Maybe switching off the gas after the furnace has exploded a couple of times is not considered to be quite the same as switching it off because the gas company thinks the customer might have some trouble paying some time in the future.
Of course, that'd require them to have their priorities straight, and I am not sure how good an assumption that is.

Khoram
01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Once the furnace explodes though, chances are you're already quite toasty. ;)

Tomp
01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Once the furnace explodes though, chances are you're already quite toasty. ;)

That reminds me of that Terry Pratchett quote

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Although it's perhaps inappropiate to talk about such things when homeless people (more or less) are freezing to death outside.

Terez
01-08-2014, 05:24 PM
It has been really cold here on the Gulf Coast, but the lowest we got here was 18F (roughly -8C). There was a bucket of water outside that was still frozen over today even though it got up into the 40s F. I brought the ice circle inside to show my mom and grandma; stuff like that is exciting down here. There are some alley cats that we feed, and since we can't bring them inside we set up warmish beds for them outside, and I had to go out there a few times and break up the ice on their water.

Davian93
01-08-2014, 05:54 PM
It was fracking cold yesterday. And the furnace crapped out, mostly. We stayed inside indouble layers, and I kept the space heater on in the room we were in.

As for a law that prevents power/ gas from being turned off in this weather, I'm not so sure. Our friend works in HVAC, and has to condemn furnaces that are performing dangerously and cut the gas access to the furnace, regardless of the temperature.

The laws are more to do with shutoffs for non-payment, not safety issues like that. In those cases, you have to shut it off as it might blowup/catch on fire.

pops taer
01-18-2014, 07:35 PM
A lot of people like to say things like "At some point it doesn't matter if it gets colder. It's just cold." Those people are stupid. At -20, you bundle up, run outside, start your car, run back in, have coffee, and run to your nice warm car. When the wind chill hits -70, you bundle up, open the door, cry, close the door, wish your son were old enough to go start the car, run out, start your car on the fourth try, run back inside, curl up next to the oven in the fetal position as your muscles cramp from being racked with sobs, have a coffee, open the door, run to your car, and realize that the heater cannot compare to the ambient cold, and cautiously navigate to work trying to see through your tear-fogged glasses.

Nazbaque
01-18-2014, 10:41 PM
*Sets himself on fire*

Oooh yeah! It's good to be me.

GonzoTheGreat
01-19-2014, 03:40 AM
A lot of people like to say things like "At some point it doesn't matter if it gets colder. It's just cold." Those people are stupid. At -20, you bundle up, run outside, start your car, run back in, have coffee, and run to your nice warm car. When the wind chill hits -70, you bundle up, open the door, cry, close the door, wish your son were old enough to go start the car, run out, start your car on the fourth try, run back inside, curl up next to the oven in the fetal position as your muscles cramp from being racked with sobs, have a coffee, open the door, run to your car, and realize that the heater cannot compare to the ambient cold, and cautiously navigate to work trying to see through your tear-fogged glasses.
Others say "At some point it doesn't matter if it gets colder. Especially not if that point is far away on another continent." Those people know what they are talking about, and aren't bothered too much by cold that occurs at some other point on Earth (or elsewhere, for that matter).