PDA

View Full Version : Snow

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-04-2014, 11:56 AM
While I appreciate there were a combination of issues last week in Atlanta resulting in the absolute chaos on the roads...it is still amusing (and slightly scary) that ice and an inch or two of snow can shut down a city that way.

In another thread Terez was quite excited by her snow/sleet/ice combo (SCHNEEEEEEEE!) and it just makes me giggle about you Southerners and lack of snow skills.

We are supposed to get another 6 inches between 6 pm and 6 am. This is the current view:

http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/picture.php?pictureid=130&albumid=21&dl=1391536134&thumb=1

Yes, that is close to 5 feet of snow. To be fair, part of that accumulation is a result of the plowing, so the actual height of snowfall over the last 30 days is around 4 feet.

I am ready for Jordancon in Atlanta in April.

Brita
02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I also found it slightly amusing and alarming. I totally understand why the south isn't ready to handle any frozen precipitation (I am sure they didn't salt their roads before the snowfall for example)- but it is definitely slightly alarming that the chaos was so monumental from such a small weather event.

On a slightly related note: I LOVE blizzards! And they all seem to be missing us this year :(

Isabel
02-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Ummm, what does snow have to do with jordan con? I only want to worry about hurricanes during JCon and not snow.

Oh and in the netherlands we are also not good with snow, but i guess not as bad as Atlantians? (Btw, what is the right word. This makes me think of atlantis)

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Atlanta in April will be WARM! WARM! WARRRRRRM!

Nazbaque
02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BAKe50e5tgE/UL8PmWb_2zI/AAAAAAAAJ2U/XlM8ZyI8Hho/s1600/Finland.jpg

Snow is our bitch :cool:

Brita
02-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Pff- they shovelled their roof off, that is why there is a huge mound of snow. You can't fool a northerner ;)

Davian93
02-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Pff- they shovelled their roof off, that is why there is a huge mound of snow. You can't fool a northerner ;)

Exactly.

We haven't had hardly any snow this year. It's been wicked cold but otherwise dry. We're supposed to get 4-8 inches tomorrow but even that is really just a light snow. None of those 20-30 inch storms have developed yet...kinda sad. I always like at least 1-2 good storms. I havent even been able to do any snowshoeing this year.

Sarevok
02-04-2014, 05:30 PM
I saw someone link a write-up about why the chaos wasn't as ridiculous as it's made out to be. Apparently written by a former Northerner now living in Atlanta.
Had to do with the stuff not being forecast at all, so the regular rush hour traffic suddenly found itself in a pit a problem. Also, therefore no snow plows or anti-ice measures were ready beforehand and it's kinda hard to showel a highway when it's already full of cars that aren't going anywhere...

Terez
02-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Ummm, what does snow have to do with jordan con? I only want to worry about hurricanes during JCon and not snow.
For the record, we've never had a hurricane in April or even May that was worth mentioning, but we have had snow in March. I remember this vividly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

It's not too difficult to imagine that the same thing could happen in early April when the jet stream is drunk. The last hurricane worth mentioning in May was Hurricane Able, which hit North Carolina on 21 May 1951.

Isabel
02-04-2014, 11:49 PM
I think Jen said so ething at the first or second jordan con about an hurricane warning.

Terez
02-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Sometimes storms form that early, slightly more so in late April as previous JCons have been than in early April like this one, but because of the water temperature, they usually fizzle out quickly, and it's extremely rare to get a significant storm before July. Usually the worst ones are in late August or early September.

PS—I looked up the activity for the first few years of JordanCon, and I didn't see anything happening before June in any of those years. So I did some more detailed searching, and apparently the last time we got an April tropical storm was in 2003:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Ana_(2003)

GonzoTheGreat
02-05-2014, 03:44 AM
Why not combine them? That'd be more exiting still, wouldn't it?

Sarevok
02-05-2014, 04:08 AM
I think that's been done already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

Terez
02-05-2014, 04:35 AM
The March 1993 storm I linked above was similar to Sandy in a lot of ways. It was a combination of an arctic front and an extratropical depression, which shares some traits with tropical cyclones. The storm is mostly remembered for the snow, but some areas of Florida got the storm surge and concomitant flooding where the low-pressure system made landfall. Florida is accustomed to that kind of thing, so it kind of got lost in the SCHNEE! :) It probably would have been different if it had actually started out as a hurricane or even a tropical storm.

I remember the 1993 storm mostly because I missed it. That's the last time (before last week) we had a major snow here, and I was on the way to Georgia when it began. We drove in snow and ice for a few hours—my mother was scared to death, and my brother and I were listening to Pearl Jam and my mom said later she was sure she was going to end up in a ditch somewhere, unable to move, listening to "I'm still alive"—but when we got near GA it kind of died out. At the friends' house where we were staying in Albany, GA, we only got a dusting of snow that did not stick for very long, but the wind was so strong that it knocked a tree on the house, and someone (I forget who) was taking a shower when a tree branch came through the ceiling and barely missed killing them. And when I got home, all my friends were going on about the snow and how awesome it was, and I was sad.

Davian93
02-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Sandy was a devastating storm...millions upon millions in major flooding in VT. It really messed up a lot of people and property here.

GonzoTheGreat
02-05-2014, 08:11 AM
If I were an American company, I could now sue Mother Nature for copyright infringement.

Terez
02-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Sandy was a devastating storm...millions upon millions in major flooding in VT. It really messed up a lot of people and property here.
Is that why you have a heroin problem, and are the least religious state in the union?

Davian93
02-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Is that why you have a heroin problem, and are the least religious state in the union?

We have a heroin problem for a lot of reasons. (how is that nationally known now anyway?)

I do a good amount of work with the US Attorney's office in my area regarding opiates and trafficking and there are a few major reasosn for it right now:

1. Lack of good treatment programs...we have a few methadone clinics, but they are massively overwhelmed right now. For example, we have a clinic in Burlington, VT that can handle 900 patients a month...it currently has a waiting list of another 2,000. That's in an area with a total population of about 200,000. Basically, even those that want help cant get it and those that are in the "treatment" only get to stay for 5 days...just enough time to sober up but not nearly enough to even hope they'll stay off long-term. The relapse rate for heroin is ridiculous anyway...cutting the inpatient rehabs down from 30 then to 20 then to 5 days has just made it worse.

2. It started with prescription drugs (percocet and oxycontin basically). Then that gets too expensive very quickly ($1 per mg for Oxy around here so $80 for one time release tablet or $5 a pill for Percs on average). Considering the current street price in my area of $5-6 a bag for heroin and it quickly becomes an easy choice for the opiate addict.

3. VT's local communities are in complete denial. VT doesn't have drug problems, VT isn't like that. We're different. Its a huge cultural thing up here. Its hard to even get permission to go to a school to talk about drug abuse up here. School boards, mayors, principals, etc all fight it and fight it hard. None of THEIR kids do drugs and especially not heroin.

4. Local law enforcement is outgunned to put it mildly. We've had a huge influx of gang violence from NYC and our local police, local FBI office (we dont even have a full office, just 4 agents in a satellite office from their Albany Field Office), the State police, etc are completely overwhelmed and outgunned. We're a small rural state with limited resources and the federal gov't has us very low on their priority list. Its tough for the US attorney to even prosecute cases due to lack of funds, lack of assistant attorneys, lack of manpower, etc etc.

But yes, we have a massive heroin problem up here right now and its really bad.

Terez
02-05-2014, 08:49 PM
We have a heroin problem for a lot of reasons. (how is that nationally known now anyway?)
Because your governor devoted his entire State of the State address to it, and it came up in the media coverage of a certain actor's death by overdose.

Davian93
02-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Because your governor devoted his entire State of the State address to it, and it came up in the media coverage of a certain actor's death by overdose.

Oh right...didnt realize that Shumlin's comments were broadcast nationally. I dont tend to watch national news anymore.

Before Shumlin, our entire state gov't pretty much ignored this issue. Now the bastard is pushing this on us and single-payer healthcare. We are truly in endtimes now.

Isabel
02-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Btw, it was a tornado warning:) ( instead of a hurricane) i knew there was something:D

GonzoTheGreat
02-06-2014, 03:41 AM
A tornado?
You really should get yourself a dog called Toto for when you go there.

Terez
02-06-2014, 03:43 AM
All she needs are the shoes.

GonzoTheGreat
02-06-2014, 04:00 AM
Does that mean that if you go barefoot, then you have nothing to fear from tornadoes? Would seem to be a fairly cheap way of dealing with them. I wonder why that trick isn't used more widely.