PDA

View Full Version : Geography

Seeker
02-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Okay, help me out here, Weird Harold. One thing I was expecting but didn't get was some kind of continent shifting event because the Dragon was supposed to break the world again. So if you think the Ages are perfect repetitions each time, then wouldn't it follow that at some point, the geography has to go back to exactly what it was before the Breaking? How is that going to happen?

GonzoTheGreat
02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Egwene's ego (together with the rest of her) was buried at Merrilor. Eventually, after a few centuries, the weight of that will make the entire continent subside and disappear beneath the waves (apart from the Two Rivers, which is immunized against this effect). Naturally, this will cause other bits of the Earth's crust to rise, which will have further effects later on, and when it all settles down again, the 2nd Age topography will be restored.

Hugh the Hand
02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Interesting question.

However, I was always under the impression that the Wheel was more a spiral and each Age is very similar in theme to the corresponding past Age, but they are all slightly different, hence a little freewill.

I am not sure if this topic was meant to be a discussion of "copy" v. "theme" debate, but that would explain the Geography difference. Plus, we know there are at least 4 Ages, there could be hundreds or millions, and in time, due to natural occurrences, or even the OP, the land will look the same as it did during the AOL. Or do we know the number of Ages?

Enigma
02-10-2014, 06:24 PM
I remember RJ giving an interview where he said that the ages of the wheel are a bit like a tapestry. From a distance the AoL would look like the pervious AoL, the same for the third age. But if you look at it more closely you will see there are differences in the individual threads.

With that in mind its entirely possible that while there are geographical changes from age to age the land mass do not reset exactly the same as before.

Weird Harold
02-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Or do we know the number of Ages?

There are Seven Ages -- ie seven spokes in the WOT.

So if you think the Ages are perfect repetitions each time, then wouldn't it follow that at some point, the geography has to go back to exactly what it was before the Breaking? How is that going to happen?

I don't think the Seven Ages are "perfect repetitions" but they do follow the same seven scripts in live performance -- like a never-ending Shakespeare festival that performs seven plays in the same order in continuous rotation.

There are five Ages between T'G and the return of the AOL. There's plenty of time for Pangeas and Gondwanaland to reform and break apart again if the Wheel really needs identical geography; "Romeo and Juliet" and "West Side Story" are the same script with different locations, after all.

I don't think the Wheel actually needs identical geography, just similar geographic pressures on the players. For example, "the Two Rivers" doesn't need to be isolated by two rivers and "impassible" mountains, it just needs to be isolated from the general population.

Rand al'Fain
02-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Just to be clear on the "re-breaking the world" bit, I always took it that it wasn't so much re-altering the geography of the planet (as that was really all the other mad male channelers during the Age of Madness that did it, with LTT's sole contribution a warped castle that has since vanished into the depths of time, and Dragonmount), as it was that nations and the world in general would be thrown into chaos for one reason or another (which it was).