PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

yks 6nnetu hing
02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Much as predicted (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88140&postcount=10), the temperatures are balmy enough for sunbathing (http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/12/3615418/lifes-a-beach-at-the-winter-olympics.html). Some of the cross country skiers have joked about coming to start in bikinis because otherwise they simply die of overheating...

I love this pic of the Canadian hockey team doing thier warmup:
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2014/02/12/11/00/528-1cNmEj.AuSt.55.jpeg

The Dutchies are doing exceptionally well in skating (yay) and the Estonians are doing ridiculously badly at everything - not unexpected this year.

Davian93
02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Other than the epic asskicking we gave Slovakia in Hockey today, the US has been pretty disappointing overall this Olympics...lots of a medal hopefuls and previous winners have been disappointing at best.

GonzoTheGreat
02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
If you can't take the heat, stay out of the Winter Olympics.

Brita
02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Canada has had a lot of very heartwarming moments:

- Sisters winning Gold and Silver in the moguls.

- Winning Silver in Speedskating after the spot in the final was given to him by his teammate. (Morrison fell in the qualification round, his teammate Junio made it and gave his spot to the better competitor- there is talk about Junio being our flag bearer).

- Canadian coach giving a ski to a struggling Russian in cross-country skiing

- The always heartwarming dedication of skier Alex Biladeau to his brother with cerebral palsy.

It also helps that we are doing quite well medal wise :)

Davian93
02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Canadian coach giving a ski to a struggling Russian in cross-country skiing

Yeah, I watched that live...that was a classy move.

Isabel
02-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Much as predicted (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88140&postcount=10), the temperatures are balmy enough for sunbathing (http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/12/3615418/lifes-a-beach-at-the-winter-olympics.html). Some of the cross country skiers have joked about coming to start in bikinis because otherwise they simply die of overheating...

I love this pic of the Canadian hockey team doing thier warmup:
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2014/02/12/11/00/528-1cNmEj.AuSt.55.jpeg

The Dutchies are doing exceptionally well in skating (yay) and the Estonians are doing ridiculously badly at everything - not unexpected this year.

Haha:) so how is the reaction in Estonia?

Terez
02-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Other than the epic asskicking we gave Slovakia in Hockey today....
And the snowboard dude. Don't forget him.

Sisters winning Gold and Silver in the moguls.
Yes, but they made the bronze medalist cry! Okay, she made herself cry. It was really pitiful.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-14-2014, 02:49 AM
- Sisters winning Gold and Silver in the moguls. Dutch triple win of the men's 500 m speedskating (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/02/10/us-olympics-speedskating-men-idUKBREA191PJ20140210); gold and bronze went to twins. There was actually also a sweep for the men's 5000 m speedskating but I thought the twins story (and the poor guy who came second - he lost the gold by the tiniest margin: something like 0.012 seconds) was just so exciting :)

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20140210&t=2&i=837068811&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBREA191H3V00
- Canadian coach giving a ski to a struggling Russian in cross-country skiing

That's actually pretty common in the cross-country world. Although, was it a ski or a ski stick? Because they are allowed to have extra ski sticks but afaik they're not allowed to change skis in the middle of the race, unless it's a ski-change race where they do the first half classic, the 2nd half freestyle. It has to do with the preparation of the skis, the wax they put on it to make for better slide or better grip dependingo n the weather/conditions. Kind of like... if Hamilton chose the wrong tires for the day, he'll still have to go the whole race on those tires.

As for Estonians... well, we're a small country, we've got individual sporters and this year there's just nobody good enough in the mix to win any medals. But we've pretty high hopes for the next Olympics. The juniors are doing quite well in cross country skiing AND we've a girl who's beaten some of the world top freestyle skiers in the X-games but she's not allowed to compete at the Olympics because she's 11. Maybe that's a good thing seeing as she can't do some of the jumps because she's too light and her parents refuse to put weights on her as that would probably ruin her physique later on. Even cooler, she has a little brother who might become even better... Those videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEkkCkwqon8) on youtube, it's cuteness overdose...

Weird Harold
02-14-2014, 03:09 AM
... Although, was it a ski or a ski stick? ...

The Skier in question had crashed and was proceeding on onne and a half skis, quickly working it's way down to one and a quarter or less. When the broken ski fell completely apart, the Canadian coach provided a whole ski for the last few hundred meters.

Probably technically illegal, but it was the difference between finishing 50-something and DNF.

GonzoTheGreat
02-14-2014, 04:38 AM
The juniors are doing quite well in cross country skiing AND we've a girl who's beaten some of the world top freestyle skiers in the X-games but she's not allowed to compete at the Olympics because she's 11.
That's about the same age as the youngest gold medal winner ever. Of course, that one won when things were still a bit more relaxed, and there weren't all those pesky rules around, yet, to inconvenience teams. It was during the Paris Olympics, I think. The American rowing team had four rowers and a steersman. Then the steersman got sick, right on the day of the actual race. So the Americans plucked some kid off the street, managed to tell him to shout "Hop! Hop! Hop!" or something like that, put him in the back of the boat, and rowed to victory. Other teams protested a bit, but there were no actual rules against that at the time. Now contestants have to be officially entered in advance, rather than just showing up at the start, they have to have a certain minimum weight in rowing and such, and they must be older than whatever. I'm not entirely sure we can blame all those rules on the EU, but we can try. I'm sure the IOC wouldn't mind.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-14-2014, 05:21 AM
That's about the same age as the youngest gold medal winner ever. Of course, that one won when things were still a bit more relaxed, and there weren't all those pesky rules around, yet, to inconvenience teams. It was during the Paris Olympics, I think. The American rowing team had four rowers and a steersman. Then the steersman got sick, right on the day of the actual race. So the Americans plucked some kid off the street, managed to tell him to shout "Hop! Hop! Hop!" or something like that, put him in the back of the boat, and rowed to victory. Other teams protested a bit, but there were no actual rules against that at the time. Now contestants have to be officially entered in advance, rather than just showing up at the start, they have to have a certain minimum weight in rowing and such, and they must be older than whatever. I'm not entirely sure we can blame all those rules on the EU, but we can try. I'm sure the IOC wouldn't mind.

I actually did some googling on this and apparently the Olympic authorities don't decide the age - they follow the rules of each particular sport. So, figure skaters for instance can compete as "adults" at 15 but other sports have other age limits.

on other news, I can't find an English-language source for this but apparently the IOC flat out forbade the staging of a "Russian Army Liberates Europe From Evil Nazis" spectacle during the Opening Ceremony. Or any reference to WW II whatsoever.

Brita
02-14-2014, 05:57 AM
Dutch triple win of the men's 500 m speedskating (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/02/10/us-olympics-speedskating-men-idUKBREA191PJ20140210); gold and bronze went to twins. There was actually also a sweep for the men's 5000 m speedskating but I thought the twins story (and the poor guy who came second - he lost the gold by the tiniest margin: something like 0.012 seconds) was just so exciting :)

Very cool. I also really enjoyed the tie for gold.

Tomp
02-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Unfortunately for you north americans we're going to take back the hockey gold this year.

And Naz, Finland will be the first to fall on their knees before the greatest nation on earth and beg to be a part of Sweden again.

And that goes for you Norwegians as well, DahLliA.

After all, isn't the Olympics a time during which people of different nations are coming together in harmony.
Or if that doesn't work, by force. ;)

Nazbaque
02-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Unfortunately for you north americans we're going to take back the hockey gold this year.

And Naz, Finland will be the first to fall on their knees before the greatest nation on earth and beg to be a part of Sweden again.

After all, isn't the Olympics a time during which people of different nations are coming together in harmony.

How did you know about my plans of conquering Sweden and then the rest of Northern Europe including my original homeland?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Or if that doesn't work, by force.

well, actually... The apocryphal story tells of the Finnic and Slavic tribes in the area calling on "'the Varangians [i.e. Scandinavians], to the Rus' … The Chud, the Slovenes, the Krivichi and the Ves said "Our land is vast and abundant, but there is no order in it. Come and reign as princes and have authority over us!"' Three brothers came with 'their kin' and 'all the Rus' in response to this invitation. Rurik set up rule in Novgorod, giving more provincial towns to his brothers. There is some ambiguity even in the Primary Chronicle about the specifics of the story, "hence their paradoxical statement 'the people of Novgorod are of Varangian stock, for formerly they were Slovenes.'" However, archaeological evidence such as "Frankish swords, a sword chape and a tortoiseshell brooch" in the area suggest that there was, in fact, a Scandinavian population during the tenth century at the latest.[3] The "Rurikid Dynasty DNA Project" of FamilyTreeDNA commercial genetic genealogy company reports that Y-DNA testing of the descendants of Rurikids suggests their non-Slavic origin. Whether you actually *want* to take over Russia is something totally different though.

ShadowbaneX
02-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Men's Olympic Hockey is kinda funny over here. Silver is looked upon as an utter failure, and the heads of those responsible would roll.

That said, Karlsson (and Alfie...and Silfverburg :() are on team Sweden...so they're probably my next favourite team. They should have also taken Lehner & Zibanejad though.

Matoyak
02-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Whether you actually *want* to take over Russia is something totally different though.I hear doing that during winter works out pretty well.

Davian93
02-14-2014, 03:35 PM
I actually did some googling on this and apparently the Olympic authorities don't decide the age - they follow the rules of each particular sport. So, figure skaters for instance can compete as "adults" at 15 but other sports have other age limits.

on other news, I can't find an English-language source for this but apparently the IOC flat out forbade the staging of a "Russian Army Liberates Europe From Evil Nazis" spectacle during the Opening Ceremony. Or any reference to WW II whatsoever.

Good thing WWII isn't like a big deal for Russia or anything...

~rolls eyes~

Davian93
02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
The Skier in question had crashed and was proceeding on onne and a half skis, quickly working it's way down to one and a quarter or less. When the broken ski fell completely apart, the Canadian coach provided a whole ski for the last few hundred meters.

Probably technically illegal, but it was the difference between finishing 50-something and DNF.

He had already fallen like 2 more times due to the busted ski...and you had to feel for the guy going through that in his home country. Nice move by the Canadian coach to let him "finish" the race like that...dont care about it being legal or illegal, it was just good sportsmanship and a classy move by him.

Khoram
02-15-2014, 12:30 AM
That's Canada for you. :D AND the majority of the medals won by Canada so far have come from Quebec. :p

There's been a lot of stupid politicians superimposing the Quebec flag over the Canadian one. It pisses me off.

GonzoTheGreat
02-15-2014, 04:42 AM
I hear doing that during winter works out pretty well.
There's nothing else to do in Russia in that time of the year, after all.

pops taer
02-17-2014, 01:55 AM
North Americans??? Dang it I thought I had you straightened out on that. Canadians are North Americans!!!! Has further education screwed with your brain?? LOL

Sarevok
02-17-2014, 07:19 AM
And another Dutch speedskating sweep. :D

ShadowbaneX
02-17-2014, 01:40 PM
I know Pops, but I can only speak for the Canadian portion of it.

Uno
02-19-2014, 07:25 AM
I've noticed this bizarre phenomenon in the US media: they count the nation with the most medals overall in the lead, as if gold, silver, and bronze were all equal. In reality, of course, the nation with the most gold--regardless of other medals--is in the lead. The other medals only come into play if two nations are tied in gold, in which case the silver counts. Only if they're also tied in silver is the bronze counted.

GonzoTheGreat
02-19-2014, 08:46 AM
I've noticed this bizarre phenomenon in the US media: they count the nation with the most medals overall in the lead, as if gold, silver, and bronze were all equal. In reality, of course, the nation with the most gold--regardless of other medals--is in the lead. The other medals only come into play if two nations are tied in gold, in which case the silver counts. Only if they're also tied in silver is the bronze counted.
I'm sure the US media would use that method if only the USA got some gold medals to count. :p

Davian93
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM

USA USA USA USA USA USA

Nazbaque
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM

So one gold beats three silver? Five? Ten?

I'd say the best system would be to convert the medals into points and then declare lead based on that. For examle gold = 4 points, silver = 2 points and bronze = 1 point, though I admit that the exact values would probably take decades of debate.

Uno
02-19-2014, 01:50 PM
So one gold beats three silver? Five? Ten?

I'd say the best system would be to convert the medals into points and then declare lead based on that. For examle gold = 4 points, silver = 2 points and bronze = 1 point, though I admit that the exact values would probably take decades of debate.

Well, I'd go by the principle that first place is what counts, but the IOC's official position is that there are no national rankings, because the games consist of competitions between individuals, not nations. Of course, since there are also national teams that compete in relays and such, that's not entirely true.

I've also seen tables published by the IOC, and I'm pretty sure I've only seen the "gold first" system used there. If you go to Sochi games' official website, you'll see that that gold comes first there, as well.

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/medals

The world championships in skiing does use a point system where gold is seven points, silver is five, bronze four, fourth place three, and so on down to sixth place, which gives one point. But I've never met anyone who's interested in the points rather than the medals. However, there, too, gold has primacy, as it gives two points more than silver.

Khoram
02-19-2014, 11:08 PM
That had to be one of the most nerve-wracking hockey games I have ever witnessed. Good God that Latvian goalie was outstanding.

Kudos to Ted Nolan on an outstanding coaching job.

ShadowbaneX
02-20-2014, 12:47 AM
I've seen more nerve wracking, that was just a lights out job by the Latvian team. Team Canada dominated in every department and statistic you'd care to mention save # of saves and Goals. The commentators mentioned this and also were mentioning how tired the Latvian team was. They were hanging on, but they were putting everything they had in to it. It was just a matter of time before Canada came through with the winner.

Still, great game by the Latvians, I full agree with the idea of giving their goalie the #1 star of the game.

Khoram
02-20-2014, 01:07 AM
Yeah. I was happy to see he had gotten it.

Throughout the third period, though, there was always a question in the back of my mind, nagging me: "Are they going to beat us"? Especially considering we had so much trouble with scoring - missing all those chances. And there's always the chance that your goalie will let a soft goal in because he isn't facing very many shots, making him less likely to be in a right state of mind. It's a good thing Price plays for Montreal, where he learned to deal with all the pressure. :D

I wish we had taken it more seriously, though. It seemed that we were taking it as a father/son game;

pops taer
02-20-2014, 04:17 AM
Oh woe is Putin!!! Poor Baby!!! And by tiny Finland as well.

GonzoTheGreat
02-20-2014, 05:01 AM
Oh woe is Putin!!! Poor Baby!!! And by tiny Finland as well.
You would think that by now Russia would know never ever to confront Finland on the battle field (or frozen over battle lake, for that matter).

Nazbaque
02-20-2014, 06:54 AM
The whole Finland Russia relationship is so well explained with this comic:
http://satwcomic.com/art/the-boogeyman-comes-at-night.jpg

Davian93
02-20-2014, 08:53 AM
I've seen more nerve wracking, that was just a lights out job by the Latvian team. Team Canada dominated in every department and statistic you'd care to mention save # of saves and Goals. The commentators mentioned this and also were mentioning how tired the Latvian team was. They were hanging on, but they were putting everything they had in to it. It was just a matter of time before Canada came through with the winner.

Still, great game by the Latvians, I full agree with the idea of giving their goalie the #1 star of the game.

Good thing the refs gave Canadia a BS powerplay so they could win. Because they really needed that. Way to go, Canadia!

Khoram
02-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Good thing the refs gave Canadia a BS powerplay so they could win. Because they really needed that. Way to go, Canadia!

It was to make up for the lack of penalty shots they called against Latvia. -_-

ShadowbaneX
02-20-2014, 10:31 AM
BS? It was a two-handed slash to the hands? That gets called a lot.

Isabel
02-20-2014, 01:03 PM
An awesome interview with a dutch coach on an american show ;)
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101431838

Khoram
02-20-2014, 01:03 PM
BS? It was a two-handed slash to the hands? That gets called a lot.

It was weak. I probably wouldn't have called it in any of my games. Depending on the severity of the swing and impact.

Davian93
02-20-2014, 01:14 PM
It was weak. I probably wouldn't have called it in any of my games. Depending on the severity of the swing and impact.

Exactly.

Khoram
02-20-2014, 02:58 PM
CANADA! OH YEAH!

Davian93
02-20-2014, 03:39 PM
CANADA! OH YEAH!

I assume you're speaking of the women's ice hockey game.

Americans care about as much about women's ice hockey as we do the America's Sailing Cup...

It'd be nice to "win" but we couldn't care less.

The real showdown is tomorrow at noon and it looks like you just used up all your good luck and karma on the meaningless precursor game.

Khoram
02-20-2014, 04:01 PM
The real showdown is tomorrow at noon and it looks like you just used up all your good luck and karma on the meaningless precursor game.

We'll see about that tomorrow.

ShadowbaneX
02-20-2014, 07:20 PM
There's also Men's Curling tomorrow.

Terez
02-21-2014, 09:21 AM
I was watching figure skating last night and they had a table of medal counts, with columns for each type and then a column for the total, but the list was arranged with USA in the #1 spot because of total medal count. Of course, my eyes immediately looked to see who had the most gold (ahem) but I'm sure it makes some people feel special to look at it the other way.

Did anyone else read into the controversy about the ladies' free skate? Apparently everyone expected the South Korean girl to win the gold, since she won it last time, and her program was technically almost perfect, so some have accused the judges of bias (which partly has to do with the concentration of Eastern Europeans on the panel). My favorite was the Italian girl, Carolina Kostner, but I wasn't particularly surprised that she didn't come in first. Anyway, regardless of any bias or lack thereof, there is an argument to be made that the new rubric-based scoring system, along with the new anonymity, brings a certain opaqueness to the scoring process.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-21-2014, 09:28 AM
I was watching figure skating last night and they had a table of medal counts, with columns for each type and then a column for the total, but the list was arranged with USA in the #1 spot because of total medal count. Of course, my eyes immediately looked to see who had the most gold (ahem) but I'm sure it makes some people feel special to look at it the other way.

Did anyone else read into the controversy about the ladies' free skate? Apparently everyone expected the South Korean girl to win the gold, since she won it last time, and her program was technically almost perfect, so some have accused the judges of bias (which partly has to do with the concentration of Eastern Europeans on the panel). My favorite was the Italian girl, Carolina Kostner, but I wasn't particularly surprised that she didn't come in first. Anyway, regardless of any bias or lack thereof, there is an argument to be made that the new rubric-based scoring system, along with the new anonymity, brings a certain opaqueness to the scoring process.

I much preferred Kostner's routine too, though I can see that she maybe scored less technically than the other 2 with less difficult elements (e.g. no triple-triple combination which both of the others had). I mean, they were all good, but I don't see where that huge score differences came from for the Russian skater. She did stumble on one of her landings iirc, whereas the other two were perfect and the Korean girl should have gotten bonuses for execution of the jumps...

Weird Harold
02-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Did anyone else read into the controversy about the ladies' free skate?

Controversy over the judging of a figure skating competition! Say it ain't so! [/sarcasm]

[The Russian Judge gives that joke a score of 3.3]

Seriously, I can't remember when bias and corruption haven't been alleged, if not a glaring problem, about figure skating and other subjectively judged events -- like most of the snowboarding events.

Terez
02-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Sometimes there is accusation of bias, sometimes not. It depends on whether the general perception fits the scores, or whether the panel seems weighted to favor any particular competitor.

Weird Harold
02-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Sometimes there is accusation of bias, sometimes not. It depends on whether the general perception fits the scores, or whether the panel seems weighted to favor any particular competitor.
You missed my point that "bias" has historically been a part of figure skating that "the Russian judge" has become a part of popular culture. I'm far more surprised when there is no controversy than when it is "business as usual."

Khoram
02-21-2014, 02:08 PM
What did I tell you, Dav? :D CANADA!

ShadowbaneX
02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
The Canadian commentators were certaily surprised when Yuna Kim's scores came in. They were fairly certain it was going to be close, but that Kim would take home the gold. Reminds me of Salé & Pelletier in Salt Lake City.

Also OH CANADA!!! Going for gold!

ShadowbaneX
02-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Double Post, appearently South Korea doesn't quite believe the results (http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/south-korea-protests-women-figure-skating-result.html).

Khoram
02-22-2014, 02:12 PM
It sucks that Canada-3 crashed during 4-man bobsleigh today. I'm pretty sure we won't be getting another medal today. :/ :(

ShadowbaneX
02-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Yeah. :(

ShadowbaneX
02-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Moar Gold for Canada! Also, I can go to bed now!

Khoram
02-23-2014, 11:33 AM
We dominated that game. I just hope Price can keep this up.

ShadowbaneX
02-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Price could keep that up...if he had that team stay in front of him. Back in net with the Habs he's not going to do as well.

Khoram
02-23-2014, 08:49 PM
He'll end up facing more shots. :/

I'm hoping we can continue our winning streak following the Olympics.

ShadowbaneX
02-24-2014, 12:43 PM
That's possible. Just don't expect 3 straight shut outs and only 3 Goals Against over your next 8 games.

Davian93
02-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Price could keep that up...if he had that team stay in front of him. Back in net with the Habs he's not going to do as well.

They should just trade for that Latvian goalie...he's in the AHL right now I believe.

Or just find a way to clone Dominic Hasek...

Khoram
02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Yzerman would want a lot in return. :/

I can't believe he managed to get ahold of that goalie.

Daekyras
03-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Wait, there was a fricking Olympics this year? I thought the next one was in rio in 2016?

*Looks up on the net*

Ah, fake sports. I get you now.

Sarevok
03-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Wait, there was a fricking Olympics this year? I thought the next one was in rio in 2016?

*Looks up on the net*

Ah, fake sports. I get you now.

*kick*

Daekyras
03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
*kick*

Owww, bloody speed skates are sharp.

ShadowbaneX
04-01-2014, 10:29 AM
the only real sports out there are played on ice.

GonzoTheGreat
04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I think that curling is also a sport. After all, it isn't art, it doesn't make sense yet isn't a religion, so what else than a sport could it be?
Of course, for all I know, curling too can be played on ice.

ShadowbaneX
04-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Curling's not just a sport, it's a real sport. Of course it's played on ice.

Daekyras
04-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Curling's not just a sport, it's a real sport.

You are correct sir. And it's real name is Bowls.

ShadowbaneX
04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
No...it's Curling. C-U-R-L-I-N-G. Bowls sounds like it needs a round object to move around because it's played on a surface other than ice...which would mean it's not a Real Sport.

GonzoTheGreat
04-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Of course, nowadays they don't use a proper curling iron but instead some ceramic ("ceramic is an inorganic, nonmetallic solid prepared by the action of heat and subsequent cooling", according to Wikipedia). Won't be long before they're using glass fiber or something like that, I expect.

Sarevok
04-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Pretty sure it's granite, actually... :p

Weird Harold
04-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Not just any Granite, either:

Rock (http://www.olympic.org/curling-equipment-and-history)

Also known as a stone, a curling rock is made of rare, dense granite that is quarried on Scotland's Ailsa Craig. Each rock weighs 19.1kg and is polished.

Khoram
04-02-2014, 08:53 PM
So not only is it dense granite that is quarried on Scotland's Ailsa Craig, but it is also "polished". That's a winning combination right there. :rolleyes:

GonzoTheGreat
04-03-2014, 04:44 AM
And what is granite?
It is inorganic (stone), non-metallic (stone) and the result of heat (starts out as red hot lava) and subsequent cooling (it would melt through the ice if it were still hot). So it satisfies all the requirements for being a ceramic. The being polished is obviously just another outgrow of the general curling obsession with dusting things off.

Uno
04-03-2014, 10:59 PM

What in God's name are you talking about? If it doesn't involve skies, it's not a real sport. We've had this discussion before. I might make allowances if ice is involved, but summer sports? Ha! Ridiculous.

ShadowbaneX
04-04-2014, 04:55 PM
We have. We can agree on the summer thing, nothing to see there, but skies? Sports aren't for the birds. Even if it's skis, while those aren't too far off being on snow, it's not ice and thus not a real sport.

Khoram
04-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Who are you kidding, Uno? Everybody knows snow can't kill people. ICE, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

GonzoTheGreat
04-05-2014, 04:24 AM
Actually, at least one police officer apparently considered snow to be a deadly threat (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/angry-off-duty-waves-gun-hummer-pelted-snowballs-article-1.436220).

Nazbaque
04-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Not sure if he considered it deadly. It's male instinct to protect your penis from the smallest of threats. So we have here a case of a car being a penis extention, a case of inferiority complex where ridicule is seen as a threat which is understandble considering the first case and a case of inability to control your instincts which again is understandable considering the first two cases.

Zombie Sammael
04-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Not sure if he considered it deadly. It's male instinct to protect your penis from the smallest of threats. So we have here a case of a car being a penis extention, a case of inferiority complex where ridicule is seen as a threat which is understandble considering the first case and a case of inability to control your instincts which again is understandable considering the first two cases.

If he'd really been trying to protect his penis, he wouldn't have got it out and waved it at the crowd.

Nazbaque
04-06-2014, 03:49 AM
If he'd really been trying to protect his penis, he wouldn't have got it out and waved it at the crowd.

Ah but you see at that point it was the target of ridicule. He practically had to pull it out and wave it around so everyone could see how big and menacing it was. Inability to control instincts again.