PDA

View Full Version : fuming

yks 6nnetu hing
03-04-2014, 01:06 PM
so, those of you who have met me in person know that while I may get agitated on certain topics here online, in reality I'm fairly easygoing and cheerful...

But today. Today I yelled at my CFO. Fists on my hips, blood boiling yelled.

What happened, you ask. This:

We're thinking of revamping part of our software solution for document vault and we got an expert from another company in to tell us of their experiences, procedures and walk me through the main functionality of the system. The guy got off the plane, into the office, we said hi and we're about to get started when my boss wanted to have a short chat to check the planning for the day. So, we're a minute into the chat when the CFO walks in and asks who the new guy is. So I tell him and he, not the most pc person at the best of times, says "ooh, nice, cozying up in a small room all day, hehehe" wink.

I go "that is not ok. NOT OK"

he, get this, goes "oh, I didn't know you can't take a joke. Wanna make it even" AND HE TURNS AND STICKS HIS ASS AT ME

At which point, fists on hips yelling ensued.

In the end he apologized, I let it go. Thing is, he knows he's inapropriate, and I know he doesn't mean any of it. If anything, he strikes me as a guy who talks big to hide the fact that at home his wife holds the reins. But seriously. That is not in my job description, I do not have to put up with that sort of...anything.

On the upside, apparently the expert from the other company was so impressed with me, I could get a job with them tomorrow. Might have to relocate to Canada, so that would be a small minus.

SauceyBlueConfetti
03-04-2014, 01:32 PM
I AM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF RIGHT NOW!

Partly, from the story.

Partly, from the idea that you think ANY of us would not expect your reaction to be exactly that!

And yeah, inappropriate. Way to stand up for yourself!!

Davian93
03-04-2014, 01:38 PM
If anything, he strikes me as a guy who talks big to hide the fact that at home his wife holds the reins.

Probably 100% this...I dont know how many guys I've worked with that act like asses at the office because they're completely neutered at home.

yks 6nnetu hing
03-04-2014, 02:25 PM
I AM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF RIGHT NOW!

Partly, from the story.

Partly, from the idea that you think ANY of us would not expect your reaction to be exactly that!

And yeah, inappropriate. Way to stand up for yourself!!

Well *I* was certainly very surprised at my own behaviour. I mean, in the end I think I did ok with the situation but this was not the first time he said something like that. It was quite simply the worst thing he'd ever said, and I was already feeling a bit out of my depth with this training day, and making sure I had enough time cleared to focus properly... And then this happened. Gotta say, for the first 30 min it was a bit difficult to focus on actual work.

Uno
03-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Yeah, that's some extraordinarily unprofessional behaviour, and with a representative from another company present, too. Not exactly the image one wants to project to business partners.

yks 6nnetu hing
03-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Yeah, that's some extraordinarily unprofessional behaviour, and with a representative from another company present, too. Not exactly the image one wants to project to business partners.

Thankfully he wasn't in the room (plus the whole thing happened in Dutch so hopefully all he heard was some heightened voices), just my boss. He didn't get a word in edgewise. Which is bad because he ought to make it clear that that sort of thing is unacceptable in anyone's presence. And good because I really think this was a battle no man could nor should ever fight for me.

Tomp
03-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I don't know if this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M) somehow fits the situation.

Khoram
03-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Might have to relocate to Canada, so that would be a small minus.

Because relocating to the nicest country in the world is a minus. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a real charmer, your CFO.

Nazbaque
03-05-2014, 02:27 AM
Because relocating to the nicest country in the world is a minus. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a real charmer, your CFO.

I think she meant that relocating would be a minus regardless of the destination. Canada makes it a small one; Finland would be a somewhat normal minus; South Africa would be a freaking huge minus and Russia somewhere on the farside of negative infinity.

Want me to set that CFO on fire? I could make it look like an accident.

GonzoTheGreat
03-05-2014, 03:27 AM
I know what CEO stands for. I know what "F" stands for. But I'd forgotten what CFO stands for, so I had to look that up again.

Davian93
03-05-2014, 06:55 AM
I think she meant that relocating would be a minus regardless of the destination. Canada makes it a small one; Finland would be a somewhat normal minus; South Africa would be a freaking huge minus and Russia somewhere on the farside of negative infinity.

In Soviet Russia, country relocates you!

Isabel
03-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Wow, i can understand you were pretty pissed off.
Happy to hear he apologized:D

Davian93
03-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Wow, i can understand you were pretty pissed off.
Happy to hear he apologized:D

FWIW, I'd watch my back for later retaliation. Granted, I dont know how strong Dutch employee protection laws are but in the States, you'd be watching your back big time even after the "apology".

Khoram
03-05-2014, 08:21 AM

Accidents are bound to happen when one is playing with fire. ;)

yks 6nnetu hing
03-05-2014, 09:05 AM
FWIW, I'd watch my back for later retaliation. Granted, I dont know how strong Dutch employee protection laws are but in the States, you'd be watching your back big time even after the "apology".

He can't because I've a permanent contract. Unless he can prove I've done something highly inapropriate such as industrial espionage, stealing on a large scale or... er... sexual harrasment.

also, we're good. We had another chat this morning, he had no idea what he did wrong but once I explained the difference between making a general sexual innuendo joke and making a personal sexual innuendo joke, I think he got it. He still tried to backtrack and say that he turned to face my boss (whereas he turned to face the wall), but whatever.

Isabel
03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
He can't because I've a permanent contract. Unless he can prove I've done something highly inapropriate such as industrial espionage, stealing on a large scale or... er... sexual harrasment.

also, we're good. We had another chat this morning, he had no idea what he did wrong but once I explained the difference between making a general sexual innuendo joke and making a personal sexual innuendo joke, I think he got it. He still tried to backtrack and say that he turned to face my boss (whereas he turned to face the wall), but whatever.

Good to hear you are fine :)

Ishara
03-06-2014, 07:20 AM
What a moron.

But, I'm so proud of you! Taking him down a notch in a language you learned less than what? 5 years ago?! You're my hero.

And Canada is kind of awesome, just sayin...we have a great music scene, too...

GonzoTheGreat
03-06-2014, 08:51 AM
And Canada is kind of awesome, just sayin...we have a great music scene, too...
Figures. Canada (Quebec, at least) is part of Latin America, after all.

Khoram
03-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Figures. Canada (Quebec, at least) is part of Latin America, after all.

So that's why we want to separate? Because we actually want to join Canada, and leave Latin America? Well I'll be damned.