PDA

View Full Version : An ingenius hero concept

Nazbaque
03-19-2014, 01:56 PM
As some of you may know in the last couple of years I've really gotten into anime and manga.

Recently there have been quite a few stories that feature demonic good guys the philosophy being that what matters isn't the nature of power but what it is used for. Usually there is at least one bad guy who does evil in the name of good.

Well anyway in Hataraku Maō-sama or The Devil Is a Part-Timer I ran into an ingenius superhero concept. In this story demons gain magical power from negative emotions such as fear and pain and the hero uses this power to save people from whatever is causing those emotions. At this point there is very little of what is clearly going to be quite a long story, but I have no doubts on its success.

What I would like to know is, if any of you have ever come across a similar superhero. I'm rather amazed that I haven't or didn't come up with it myself.

GonzoTheGreat
03-20-2014, 03:38 AM
The idea can be summed up as "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I'm sure no one ever thought of that one before.

Nazbaque
03-20-2014, 04:50 AM
Sorry I was getting sleepy when I wrote that. I didn't mean them getting power from their own negative emotions but from other people's. The hero is quite litterally using others' fear to save them from the cause of that fear.

GonzoTheGreat
03-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Yeah, if whatever scares those other people does not kill them then that fear can help save them (ie. make them stronger). If it does kill them, they presumably get to try again in their next life.

Uno
03-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Isn't that like the dementors from Harry Potter being the good guys?