PDA

View Full Version : Continuum

Seeker
04-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Hey, you guys want a show that has all the political complexity of Game of Thrones with a tightly-focused story and deep characters? I present to you Continuum.

In the year 2077, democracy has fallen to be replaced by an Oligarchy of the super rich. Kiera Cameron, a City Protector (cop) arrests a group of terrorists who are trying to restore democracy. But on the night of their execution, their leader uses a time-travel device to send them back to the year 2012, and Kiera gets got caught in the vortex.

So, we have Kiera, an otherwise compassionate person who is fighting to preserve the timeline she knows (and the oppressive regime that goes with it. To give you an example, one episode deals with a nano-chip that when inserted into a soldier's brain, removes his ability to feel compassion or empathy for anyone).

We have a group of terrorists/freedom fights who want to restore democracy but who use some questionable methods to do so. (Like blowing up buildings).

And then it gets even more complex when people from 2012 enter the game. Loyalties change, alliances form and fall apart and characters wonder if they're fighting for the right side. The show does an excellent job of giving both sides valid points and sympathetic characters. It explores questions like "when (if ever) is it okay to violate privacy in the name of keeping people safe?"

It's just all around awesome, and you guys really should check it out.

The best place to do so?

Netflix baby.

Sarevok
04-24-2014, 02:28 AM
Seen the frist episode. Seemed ok, but never had time to look further. :(

Figbiscuit
04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
*makes mental note to look this up*

The OH has just got into Battlestar Galactica. I can't be bothered with it as I've got a whole list of things I'm already watching but maybe we could start this together once we finish Breaking Bad..

Sarevok
04-24-2014, 02:51 PM
but maybe we could start this together once we finish Breaking Bad..

YES. You should!

ShadowbaneX
04-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Continuum is good, one of the few shows I watch outside of Top Gear & Hockey. Actually, there's only one other show, and it just started it's 2nd season and I highly recommend it: Orphan Black.

Ishara
04-25-2014, 01:11 PM
And here I thought we were talking Stargate. :(

ShadowbaneX
04-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Stargate had it's time, and while it was all too short for Universe, time to move on Ishy. Check out both of these. Orphan Black is one of the few shows out there filmed in Toronto and actually set in Toronto as well.

Mort
04-27-2014, 12:16 PM
I like Continuum. A few interesting characters but havn't kept up with the latest season much, they might have complicated the storyline a bit too much...

Anaiya Sedai
06-07-2014, 05:29 PM
I liked continuum but I didn't really care to look into season 3 for some reason, and we only have 1&2 on Netflix. It sort of left off on a good point there...

ShadowbaneX
06-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Well, that certainly was a something. Not quite sure what it was, but it was something.