PDA

View Full Version : Felix

Terez
05-04-2014, 04:52 AM
You can read Felix's last thoughts on AMOL here (https://twitter.com/TinkerPride), because he hasn't tweeted anything since. That's a WoT-related account he created. He kept his @FelixPax account for non-WoT stuff, but even that has been dead since a few months before AMOL came out.

I leaned more and more toward Felix being Not For Real as time went on. He was too ridiculous. I know that some people saw him, a live person, in California, but I'm still not convinced he was for real. I think he was satire all along. His theories were too absurd, and he posted stuff like this (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=175096). I just noticed that his @TinkerPride avatar is the cover of a book called Why Cats Paint (http://www.amazon.com/Why-Cats-Paint-Theory-Aesthetics/dp/0898156122), which is apparently a very clever satire aimed at art criticism. (Read the reviews.) So, I think Felix was a very clever satirist. There seems to be no other logical explanation for his existence.

It needs a poll.

fionwe1987
05-04-2014, 05:27 AM
The Dragon Reborn still needs to proclaim himself. Rand's a False Dragon. Much to do still.-Felix

:D:D:D

GonzoTheGreat
05-04-2014, 05:42 AM
There seems to be no other logical explanation for his existence.
Don't be too proud of this technological error you've constructed. The ability to destroy a theory is insignificant next to the power of the Cape.

Terez
05-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Don't be too proud of this technological error you've constructed. The ability to destroy a theory is insignificant next to the power of the Cape.
So what you're saying is, you wore the breeches of Felix?

GonzoTheGreat
05-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Would I ever defend the idea that Mat is the actual DR?

Terez
05-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Oh, I don't know. I can see it.

suttree
05-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Were there not reports of him pestering Sanderson at LA signings? I suppose that could have been with keeping in character however.

Also seem to recall him leaving DM after accusing the mods of "bullying". It seems like that type of response would play right into someone like thats alley as opposed to driving them away.

Seeker
05-04-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm going with parody. The tab veren thing clenched it also

Terez
05-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Were there not reports of him pestering Sanderson at LA signings? I suppose that could have been with keeping in character however.
In keeping with character, and to lend some authenticity to his act. It could be that Brandon is in on the ruse. :)

Seeker
05-04-2014, 06:30 PM
You know, Terez, I actually had a similar thought, that Brandon was somehow behind the Felix posts.

Terez
05-04-2014, 07:58 PM
More likely Peter. ;) But halo saw Felix in CA too, so it was probably someone else.

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-07-2014, 11:53 AM
If it was pure satire, it makes sense. But it makes me dislike him even more. Satire should be witty at the highest end, funny at the lowest. He wasn't. Satire should be fun. It wasn't. Satire should have a point greater than just trolling folks. This didn't.

Glad he is gone, hope he doesn't come back anytime soon. Satirical mocking and causing trouble---and admit it, he caused trouble---is not very nice. If there is no actual underlying point to it (what, fandoms are over-the-top? The books are dumb? I mean, really WHAT?) then he failed miserably other than just being an asshole. Go bug the Twilight fans.

I would be quite disappointed if Brandon was involved in something that was meant to disrupt/mock/hurt the fandom of a beloved series that he was given the chance to finish. His sincerity in his feelings wouldn't seem to point towards his involvement, and just "as a person" I don't see it. If Peter was involved I would also be disappointed. I would think he had better things to do with his time. He is a little more odd than Brandon though.

Being aware of it and encouraging it are two different things.

Interesting that he fell off the map though.

Seeker
05-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Don't worry, SBC. I'm sure Brandon wasn't involved. It was just a thought I had where I pictured him stroking a cat and saying "Bwahahahah" but in reality, Sanderson is one of the kindest people on the Net.

Daekyras
05-09-2014, 11:01 AM
So, I think Felix was a very clever satirist. There seems to be no other logical explanation for his existence.

Its not often, or at all, that I disagree with you T but I must on this occasion.

Not on the whether he was for real issue (I do not think he was) but on your use of the word "Clever" to describe his satire.

Clever satire often goes unnoticed. It is subtle and achingly plausible.

Felixpax was a subtle as a Will Ferrell movie.

Terez
05-09-2014, 02:20 PM
I used "elaborate" in the poll option. :)

rand
05-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I think we can take a look at his name, Felix Pax. On the surface this would seem to indicate

Felix = lucky
pax = peace

But does Lucky Peace make sense? No, of course it doesn't.

Let's look a bit deeper.

Felix is also the name of a cat from cartoons. And Pax is an obvious reference to PAX East, the video game expo held in Boston every year. Using these clues we see that

Felix = cat
Pax = east

So, an eastern cat. But what does this refer to? The Great Sphinx of Giza, of course. The Sphinx is a riddle and an enigma, and, according to wikipedia, has been adopted as a Masonic symbol for mystery. It also ties in with Felix's cat book.

In conclusion, Felix must be either:

A mysterious satirist
A half-woman, half-lion mutant with a missing nose

fdsaf3
05-13-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't know if I'd call Felix satire, but I do think he knew he was being ridiculous with some of the things he said. I'd classify him as someone who was intentionally and knowingly "out there" at times, and at other times just being himself. If that qualifies as satire, then so be it.

Regardless, his knowledge of the books and his willingness to participate in discussions were both positive additions to the community here (within limits, of course).

Seeker
05-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Felix's theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9tCBL86nQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Rand. You win this thread. LOLOLOL

halo6819
10-25-2014, 09:57 AM
I have video proof of Felix's existence. The first Q&A for TGS I taped, and someone asked this absolutely ridiculous question about the Aiel being created by the one power, and Brandon looked absolutely perplexed. He asked the audience if he had missed something. Later on he talked to me and a few others about language drift among the Ogier and darkfriend Ogier living on the shadow coast.

I'm at work, so i cant listen to the audio, but here is a link to the first part of the QA, its somewhere in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1J6pQhGjjI

It's entry 6 on the TGS Signing report: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=476

Terez
10-25-2014, 06:34 PM
He may exist, but that doesn't mean he's for real that crazy.

halo6819
10-26-2014, 01:35 AM
He may exist, but that doesn't mean he's for real that crazy.

Having seen him in the flesh, I do believe that he is a conspiracy theorist, but for WoT. I mean, his proofs where just so so so out there, and legit. He never faked a quote that I saw, and if you looked at everything through a cracked glass it could make sense. I have seen odder theories pan out on more obscure references then a cloak. Maybe I am putting too much of a limit on the bounds of human imagination, but every time I read one of his posts, or even more importantly, his replies to people attacking his theories, I saw only earnestness.

Granted I am not very active on this board, or DM, or twitter, so I only got him in fits and spurts, I'm not sure if his facade, if that is what it was, dropped ever.

Terez
10-26-2014, 09:50 AM
I don't think I ever realized before that that was his question. I listened to him. He sounds more sane in person than he comes across online, which isn't surprising in itself, but his "Am I just insane?" comment was funny.

halo6819
10-28-2014, 02:39 AM
I wonder if he is in any of my other videos. That is the only one I remember though.

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Heh.

He does sound normal.

BTW, it is the very first question in your Part 3 of this interview, linky here:

Felix, voice but no visual proof ;) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wirleIr5zbs)

Sukoto
10-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Felix was obviously real. There are plenty of people who are just bizarre. And they don't care, most of the time. So, it could very well be that Felix was just off, socially. Maybe he had a condition, like OCD or Asbergers or some other behavioral disorder that made him persistent, smart, and mostly oblivious to what other people thought of him. I never met him, but I've certainly met people who are as bizarre as he is.

mogi67
10-30-2014, 08:21 AM
The truth is somewhere in the middle, probably. Even if a guy is messed up in the head, he still can have a sense of humor.

Weiramon
11-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Burn my soul, I miss the young lad.

As for downplaying mental faculties to disguise one's intent, that's simply ridiculous.

Tollingtoy
11-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Read some of the things people post in the ASOIAF forums. These people are VERY real!

halo6819
11-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Who isn't Benjin Stark at this point?

Southpaw2012
11-17-2014, 08:22 PM
I believe he was the alter-ego of a person who posts on here under a different name.

GonzoTheGreat
11-18-2014, 05:05 AM
I believe he was the alter-ego of a person who posts on here under a different name.
Or perhaps the other way around. Maybe Felix has been posting as "Frenzy" here for a long time, to fool us all.