PDA

View Full Version : Want to die on Mars?

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Here is your opportunity to sign up

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/tech/innovation/mars-one-candidates/index.html?c=tech&page=1

Isabel
05-19-2014, 10:58 AM
LoL, no thank you:) Although i can understand that some people would be interested in that :D

Khoram
05-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Just getting the opportunity to go to space would be amazing. Colonising another world would be so cool! :D

Figbiscuit
05-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Just getting the opportunity to go to space would be amazing. Colonising another world would be so cool! :D

Albeit brief...

GonzoTheGreat
05-22-2014, 05:25 AM
Albeit brief...
Why?
The settler builds a town, which then starts making a warrior and researching agriculture, and you're off. Only real problem is correctly estimating how many hostile Martian barbarians are roaming around.

Nazbaque
05-22-2014, 06:43 AM
Why?
The settler builds a town, which then starts making a warrior and researching agriculture, and you're off. Only real problem is correctly estimating how many hostile Martian barbarians are roaming around.

Oh Gonzo that's not how it works. This is mankind colonizing a new planet, so the Colony Pod builds a base which starts building a Scout Patrol unit and researching Martian Ecology. The question is will there be Martian Barbarians or Martian Mindworms.

Zombie Sammael
05-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Oh Gonzo that's not how it works. This is mankind colonizing a new planet, so the Colony Pod builds a base which starts building a Scout Patrol unit and researching Martian Ecology. The question is will there be Martian Barbarians or Martian Mindworms.

Or, indeed, Biker Mice From Mars.

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-23-2014, 03:27 PM

It's the "hey we ran out of money and you now are getting no new supplies so that slowly building pressure on the building that might make it leak unstable mars air can't be repaired, bye, good luck" conversation would be the bad part.

Khoram
05-23-2014, 06:39 PM
It's the "hey we ran out of money and you now are getting no new supplies so that slowly building pressure on the building that might make it leak unstable mars air can't be repaired, bye, good luck" conversation would be the bad part.

Clearly they aren't going to accept people who can't fix said "problem". :rolleyes:

I think it would be a good idea to figure out how to ferry supplies back and forth between the planets before sending over any colonisers. You know, considering if everything goes horribly wrong, you can't just walk home. ;)

GonzoTheGreat
05-24-2014, 03:23 AM
Why worry about that?
After all, it's not as if those supplies would've arrived in a timely fashion anyway.

And leaks can be repaired (albeit temporarily) with duct tape. So simply send a couple of tons of the stuff there right at the start, and this wouldn't be a problem. You can even build a boat out of it, though to make that useful you may have to teach the Martian barbarians how to dig and fill a canal too. (Note: if you happen to pick the right version of Mars, there will be pre-dug canals available, of course. I'm not sure you can count on this working out correctly at the first try, though.)

Cary Sedai
05-25-2014, 12:33 PM
I don't know, I thought a saw a movie about all of this already....

GonzoTheGreat
05-26-2014, 03:43 AM
I just thought of a problem: how are the illegal immigrants going to manage crossing interplanetary space?
You can't have a successful society without having loads of lazy foreigners coming to take your jobs, so those aliens would be an obvious necessity for survival. Bonus points for the one who figures out where to build the fence to keep them out.

Figbiscuit
05-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Albeit brief...

My faith in this is small. I'm not sure humanity is ready. Tbh I don't think we'll truly get out into space until we can send robots.

Nazbaque
05-29-2014, 08:37 AM
My faith in this is small. I'm not sure humanity is ready. Tbh I don't think we'll truly get out into space until we can send robots.

And when we do send the all mech colonists to prepare other planets they will become our only legacy to the universe as earth is destroyed. Then their anti-alien programming kicks in and the rest of the universe has to deal with this horrible threat.

GonzoTheGreat
05-29-2014, 09:22 AM
And when we do send the all mech colonists to prepare other planets they will become our only legacy to the universe as earth is destroyed. Then their anti-alien programming kicks in and the rest of the universe has to deal with this horrible threat.
Or, to avoid getting into fiction, when V'Ger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V'ger#V.27Ger) returns, we'd better have the capability to intercept far enough away from Earth.