PDA

View Full Version : Amazon and publishing world

Isabel
05-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Hey all,
i was curious about your thoughts about Amazon and the publishing world.
http://misterkristoff.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/amazon-hachette-and-flaming-bullshit/

My personal thought it that it becomes dangerous when Amazon becomes the only option and that it's good to buy your books somewhere else as well.

Regards, Isabel

Davian93
05-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Yeah but I get 2 day free shipping on pretty much everything...that's hard to complain about.

Zaela Sedai
05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Yeah but I get 2 day free shipping on pretty much everything...that's hard to complain about.

This...

And free Amazon library books too...

And a discounted price on eBooks when you buy participating physical books...

Davian93
05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
This...

And free Amazon library books too...

And a discounted price on eBooks when you buy participating physical books...

And free digital copies when you buy a blu-ray...which is cool too.

Isabel
05-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Yeah, but what if when amazon gets to be a monopolist?
Do you think they will still offer that? And will they pay writers enough?

Davian93
05-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Probably not but right now I'm a frog sitting in a pot of nice warm water that I'm sure won't get any hotter.

Kinda relaxing really...makes me want to take a nap.

GonzoTheGreat
05-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Probably not but right now I'm a frog sitting in a pot of nice warm water that I'm sure won't get any hotter.

Plus, if you buy a book on Amazon, they share all your information with the NSA (and probably the FSB too, but they are less open about that at the moment). On the other hand, if you use cash to buy that book in an actual shop, then the spooks have to go to extreme lengths to find out what you're doing. It is just so much more convenient if you use the Internet.

Davian93
05-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Plus, if you buy a book on Amazon, they share all your information with the NSA (and probably the FSB too, but they are less open about that at the moment). On the other hand, if you use cash to buy that book in an actual shop, then the spooks have to go to extreme lengths to find out what you're doing. It is just so much more convenient if you use the Internet.

Meh...they already know everything about me anyway.

Figbiscuit
05-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Meh...they already know everything about me anyway.

This. Anyone who thinks they have any secrets anymore are either kidding themselves or a recluse. Granted it's much easier to become a recluse in the US as you have so much more land to recluse into.

Ishara
06-04-2014, 07:19 AM

This is one of my favourite metaphors. I use it at least once a month when describing an unhealthy workplace. LOL