PDA

View Full Version : The Cosmere

Anaiya Sedai
06-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Ok, I'll admit it, I feel like a noob.
I've enjoyed stormlight, and I had come across the cosmere thing but hadn't realised it spanned across several series.
Then I read mistborn over the last couple of weeks and things started dawning on me. Now I'm reading Warbreaker (which I am enjoying more than mistborn), and my tiny mind was blown by all tge connections I just realised. I've been googling and it would seem I have a lot of catching up to do.
Where the hell do I even start?!

Zombie Sammael
06-07-2014, 09:52 PM
There isn't a start, as such, so you should be okay. But you may want to re-read the Stormlight Archive after you've read everything else. As far as I'm aware, Mistborn, Stormlight, Warbreaker, and Elantris are the only full-length Cosmere works out there right now, so you'll only have Elantris to go once you're finished.

For the connections, the unpublished works, Brandon's word of god, and everything else there is the Coppermind wiki over at 17th Shard. You can probably lose a weekend in there if you want to.

Sarevok
06-08-2014, 06:09 AM
ZS summed most of it up.
I'd recommend reading all his books in the order they're published. :)

Anaiya Sedai
06-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Oh I would happily waste a weekend on it. Iam just struggling to know where to start in the wiki.. I jumped in with Hoid, who seems to be the most obvious connection, and the big black sword Szeth has now, although I can't remember the name. Zahel/Vasher was fairly obvious, but the whole bigger scheme of things (the 16 shards, with ruin and preservation being part of them) is a touch hard for me to get my head around at the moment. Maybe I should have paid closer attention to The Letter and other chapter heading notes...

Sarevok
06-09-2014, 05:00 AM
The letter and the chapter notes have their own coppermind entries. :)
I still don't get how people caught Zahel/Vasher, though. Probably because I'm no good at reading physical descriptions of people or something. :(
Same with people catching that:
(Words of Radiance and possible some other books spoiler)
the people talking to the weird guy in the Purelake are people from other books in the Cosmere

I did catch Hoid remarking that tuning an instrument is easier with perfect pitch (i.e. he has at least 2nd Heightening)
but I needed 17th Shard to point out to me that Hoid used allomancy on Shallan's father
Also, if you're into foreign languages and letters, this thread is epic:
http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6487-thaylen-and-alethi-glyph-translation/
They're even so far that they can tranlate the High Princes' glyps from the maps!

Anaiya Sedai
06-10-2014, 04:27 AM
lots of reading to do! I've just finished Warbreaker, now I have that horrible feeling of needing more, so I think I'll go back to stormlight 1 first, because it has been the longest since I read that. Is The Rithmatist part of the Cosmere?

SauceyBlueConfetti
06-11-2014, 02:13 PM
I am so glad you said this. I remember last year Marie posted something about the overlapping worlds/characters and I went "WHAAAAAT? OMG HOW DENSE AM I?" because while I saw similarities, I hadn't connected all of it. I had only read a few of his books at that point, Elantris many moons ago. Now that I have read more of them it totally makes sense and makes the stories that much richer.

Seeker
06-19-2014, 12:20 PM
ZS summed most of it up.
I'd recommend reading all his books in the order they're published. :)

That really doesn't affect anything. They're designed so that you can read them in any order. The chronology is Elanttris, Mistborn Trilogy, Warbreaker, Way of Kings, Alloy of Law. It's hard to say where Words of Radiance comes in. (Before or after Alloy)

Southpaw2012
07-12-2014, 01:38 PM
That really doesn't affect anything. They're designed so that you can read them in any order. The chronology is Elanttris, Mistborn Trilogy, Warbreaker, Way of Kings, Alloy of Law. It's hard to say where Words of Radiance comes in. (Before or after Alloy)

That's the official chronological order? I've always wondered what it was when trying to imagine how Hoid got everywhere and when.

Zombie Sammael
07-12-2014, 11:45 PM

Since WOR takes place immediately after WOK, it has to take place before Alloy, logically. The only assumption I'm making there is that time moves in the usual linear fashion across the Cosmere, which doesn't appear to me to be too much of a jump - we don't have much evidence that it doesn't. The only other possibility is that the entirety of Stormlight thus far and Mistborn 1.5 take place roughly concurrently.

Uno
07-13-2014, 01:00 AM
Since WOR takes place immediately after WOK, it has to take place before Alloy, logically. The only assumption I'm making there is that time moves in the usual linear fashion across the Cosmere, which doesn't appear to me to be too much of a jump - we don't have much evidence that it doesn't. The only other possibility is that the entirety of Stormlight thus far and Mistborn 1.5 take place roughly concurrently.

Normally special relativity doesn't have a lot of practical consequences, but since we're presumably dealing with cosmic scales here, I'm not sure it makes any sense to say that one event happens after the other, or that they happen simultaneously, unless you mean that this is the sequence of events as seen from frame of reference of Hoid.

I admit to posting this mostly just to be difficult.

Zombie Sammael
07-13-2014, 01:57 AM
Normally special relativity doesn't have a lot of practical consequences, but since we're presumably dealing with cosmic scales here, I'm not sure it makes any sense to say that one event happens after the other, or that they happen simultaneously, unless you mean that this is the sequence of events as seen from frame of reference of Hoid.

I admit to posting this mostly just to be difficult.

Fair enough, but would you please clarify which Hoid you are referring to?

Seeker
07-22-2014, 01:02 PM

They do take place concurrently.

Ilyena AlMaera
08-21-2014, 01:45 AM
What would happen if a duralumin misting were to duralumin burn lerasium? would they become a super-duper mega powered mistborn? or would they just become a normal lerasium mistborn?

Seeker
08-22-2014, 12:23 AM
I believe that Lerasium only works on non mistings. It actually has an allomantic property that we have not yet seen. (In other words, mistborn can use it to do something other than become a mistborn). Since it's a God metal, it will likely be as powerful as atium.

The only misting that could burn Lerasium would be a Lerasium misting. Since atium mistings exist, it's reasonable to conclude that lerasium mistings do as well. But burning the metal would not turn them into mistborn but rather trigger the metal's other function.

Enhancing lerasium with duralumin would just amp up the metal's other allomantic function.

Sarevok
08-22-2014, 06:34 AM
From Coppermind.net (http://coppermind.net/wiki/Lerasium):
For normal people, burning lerasium forges a permanent connection between them and Preservation, turning them into a very powerful Mistborn. However, turning people into Mistborn is only a side effect of burning lerasium; if a Mistborn were to burn it, it would have a different, as of yet, unknown effect.[1]
So presumably a misting burning it would be somewhere between becoming a mistborn and [unknown effect].

Seeker
08-22-2014, 11:53 AM
No I don't think it works that way. A coinshot is as proficient with steel as a full Mistborn. Mistings don't get only partial access to their metal's power. A lerasium misting would get lerasium's unknown power and just that. A duralumin misting would not be able to burn lerasium.

Sarevok
08-23-2014, 12:58 PM
No I don't think it works that way. A coinshot is as proficient with steel as a full Mistborn. Mistings don't get only partial access to their metal's power. A lerasium misting would get lerasium's unknown power and just that. A duralumin misting would not be able to burn lerasium.

Hmm, I can see the ambiguity in my answer. I meant my answer for a (random metal)-misting burning lerasium (which they presumably can, since even a normal human could do it).
I agree that a lerasium misting would only get the unknown effect.