PDA

View Full Version : The Farseer Trilogy

Figbiscuit
06-10-2014, 07:20 AM
So I'm reading this. I'm half way through the second book, and I'm enjoying it very much, but dearie ME Fitz is remarkably dense.

Also, Sean Bean for Burrich.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-10-2014, 07:46 AM
ah, the waterworks at the end of book 3...

also, I read the first book in.. er... must have been 1999 or 2000; anyways, they ran the Sharpe series; and I was also reading the Sharpe books at the time so... Fitz, Sharpe and (young) Sean Bean are for me absolutely intertwined.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01169/arts-graphics-2006_1169134a.jpg

Mort
06-11-2014, 11:34 AM
ah, the waterworks at the end of book 3...

The only book I have ever shed tears over I think. Rough stuff, in a good way.

Anaiya Sedai
06-11-2014, 01:26 PM
I very much enjoyed it when I read it.. that was a while ago now - I think I was still at university. I must dig those books out again.
Sean bean belongs into every fantasy adaptation, but it would be nice if he could survive for once.

Zaela Sedai
06-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Have you all read all 4 series?

yks 6nnetu hing
06-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Have you all read all 4 series?

I have. Can't WAIT for the new book, too :D

Sarevok
06-12-2014, 04:15 PM
whoa, hold one.. 4?
Farseer, Liveship traders, Fool and... another one?
Note: if it's like het Liveship traders, don't bother, had to put that down.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-13-2014, 01:18 AM
whoa, hold one.. 4?
Farseer, Liveship traders, Fool and... another one?
Note: if it's like het Liveship traders, don't bother, had to put that down.pish, the Liveship traders is the best one!

The Dragon Keepers - it starts in the Rain Wilds after the end of Liveship, with a group of Rain Wilds castoffs adventuring towards the North to find the Elderling City.

phew, it's hard when you have to keep stuff spoiler-free.

SauceyBlueConfetti
06-13-2014, 12:31 PM
I recall reading the first one and thinking, ok, this is readable. Not great, but readable. And then I recall getting towards the end of the book and thinking...seriously, I am supposed to be happy with THIS??

But. I don't remember WHY I felt that way at the end. I just remember feeling disappointed and not interested AT ALL in reading anymore of the author's work.

Figbiscuit
06-13-2014, 02:17 PM
I am enjoying them, and I agree they are very readable.

They are little bit...predictable, and like I said, Fitz is VERY dense. And there are a lot of very convenient things which seem to happen for the sake of plot alone, but despite that I am still enjoying them.

And now dreading the end of book 3.

Mort
06-13-2014, 05:32 PM
I tried to read the Liveship Traders series many years ago. It never stuck, not that it was particularly bad but I was not interested I think at the time. Is it played out before, during or after Farseer and the Fool series ?

yks 6nnetu hing
06-14-2014, 03:25 AM
I tried to read the Liveship Traders series many years ago. It never stuck, not that it was particularly bad but I was not interested I think at the time. Is it played out before, during or after Farseer and the Fool series ?

Chronologically, between. There are little hints about it in the Fool series, for instance Tintaglia makes her first appearance in Liveship. The Fool series is really very shortly after Liveship. The Dragon Keepers kind of partly overlaps the end of the Fool series... It's more of a sequel to the Liveship though, geographically and thematically speaking