PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, Salutations, Felicitations and Halucinations

Orc
09-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I suppose, having already posted elsewhere, I should post here and say hi!

Hi!

Terez
09-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi, welcome to the message boards. :D There's a lot more action over here than there is at theoryland.com, so you should drop in over here more often...

Anaiya Sedai
09-20-2008, 06:27 PM
ohh we have fresh blood!

*gets the firepower ready*

marshmallows, anyone?

Cary Sedai
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Welcome to Theoryland, Orc! :D

~sprinkles Orc with fairy dust~

Terez
09-20-2008, 07:09 PM
oic now that you're a GW person rather than a theoryland.com person. Welcome anyway...

Anaiya Sedai
09-20-2008, 07:09 PM
~lights the fairy dust~

mhhhmmmmm :D:D:D

Orc
09-21-2008, 12:14 AM
oic now that you're a GW person rather than a theoryland.com person. Welcome anyway...

Haha! But I own all the books anyways! I really should read them again.

Birgitte
09-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the Insanity! If our benevolent dictator had gotten around to gifting us with a chatroom, I'd invite you to it. But, alas, he hasn't gotten to it yet. Apparently he just started vacation yesterday or something. Clearly he should be spending it for us, but...

Oh yeah... Tell us about yourself... You've read the books, you say? I want the intimate details... Faile or Berelain? Which of the trio is your favorite? Favorite Forsaken? you know, the important stuff.

ShadowbaneX
09-21-2008, 01:55 AM
oh, dear. This could be amusing...quite amusing.

Nazbaque
09-21-2008, 02:45 AM
*Appears out of thin air accompanied by an explosion*

Damn! I really should come up with some ear protection.

Welcome Orc!! You may call me Naz!

Give us the dirt! Fav book, character, food, time of year, M&M, drink , non-alcoholic drink etc.

Now if you would excuse me a moment I must be set on fire.

*Holds up the Torch*

Anaiya Sedai
09-21-2008, 06:24 AM
*sets naz on fire*

~takes the marshmallows to the ESC~

Sarevok
09-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Hmm... I just realized I hadn't responded yet... I read the thread and left again :s

Anyway:
WELCOME ORC!!!!!!!!! :D

Anaiya Sedai
09-21-2008, 07:29 AM
good point sare - I forgot to say:

welcome orc! :D

Cary Sedai
09-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Slackers!

~roasts marshmellows & hands a few to Orc, takes the rest and gobbles them down~

Sarevok
09-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Slackers!

~roasts marshmellows & hands a few to Orc, takes the rest and gobbles them down~

I'm not getting any marshmellows??

*roasts some himself*
*hands out to anyone but Cary*
*eats the rest*

Cary Sedai
09-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm not getting any marshmellows??

*roasts some himself*
*hands out to anyone but Cary*
*eats the rest*

~roast more marshmellows, gives them all to Sare~

~sprinkles Sare with fairy dust~

I was being nice to the noob :p

Orc
09-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh yeah... Tell us about yourself... You've read the books, you say? I want the intimate details... Faile or Berelain? Which of the trio is your favorite? Favorite Forsaken? you know, the important stuff.

Can I hate both Faile and Berelain equally? 'Cause I think he should just punt them both into a river and be done with it.

I always felt sorry for Mat. Poor Mat.

I must say that WoT is the only series I've had to draw diagrams for to keep track of stuff.

Mmm... marshmallows. *makes s'mores*

Zaela Sedai
09-21-2008, 12:39 PM
I think I'll refrain from welcoming Pyro with my normal greet.... he may push me into the sulphur pits or leave me to fend off Avalanches on my own if he has to read all that.....

Anaiya Sedai
09-21-2008, 02:34 PM
ohh now I know who we're talking to :D thanks for that, Z.

Orc
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
ohh now I know who we're talking to :D thanks for that, Z.

Yeah, I figured I'd let you guys figure it out. :D

Gilshalos Sedai
09-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey, I was clueless.

Heya, Pyro!

Brita
09-22-2008, 08:48 AM
PYRO!!!

Hi and welcome!

123seem
09-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Heya Pyro, it seems im not the only one here who played guildwars before i joined theoryland.:D or am I.........

Birgitte
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Can I hate both Faile and Berelain equally? 'Cause I think he should just punt them both into a river and be done with it.

I always felt sorry for Mat. Poor Mat.

I must say that WoT is the only series I've had to draw diagrams for to keep track of stuff.

Mmm... marshmallows. *makes s'mores*

Perfectly acceptable to hate them both. I used to be a Faile-lover, but have fallen away from that. She was just so cool when you first meet her! Maybe she'll redeem herself?

And I always feel sorry for Mat. He's got a thankless job. He keeps trying to help these stupid women and getting his ass kicked for it.

And I love s'mores.

tworiverswoman
09-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Welcome to TL, Pyro! Glad to see someone finally talked you into finding out what we kept jabbering about.

Had you read the books first? Or are you working through them now?

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 04:41 AM
*wonders if tru read the whole topic*

*pours herself some mead, roasts a sausage and sits on the ESC*

I like Mat. and women are evil :cool:

Brita
09-23-2008, 07:40 AM
I like Mat. and women are evil :cool:

Except the women at TL- we are exceptionally cool :cool:

Are there any male characters that people dislike as much as some female characters?

I generally find the Gawyn sections annoying.

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 07:55 AM
mat is my favourite male character, all the others are kinda weak. or annoying. Taim makes me cringe.
And Rand can be exceptionally annoying.

irerancincpkc
09-23-2008, 07:58 AM
And Rand can be exceptionally annoying.
Are you serious? Rand is the best. :D

Oh, welcome to Theoryland Orc! :D

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Are you serious? Rand is the best. :D

Oh, welcome to Theoryland Orc! :D

rand is everything I hate in men.

Nazbaque
09-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Which is what exactly? Bad tempered? Controlling? Arrogant? What?

irerancincpkc
09-23-2008, 08:13 AM
rand is everything I hate in men.
Trying to do his best while burdened with the biggest duty in the history of the world? Cut the guy some slack; I think he handles it pretty well, considering everything. :D

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Which is what exactly? Bad tempered? Controlling? Arrogant? What?

just about. and stubborn.
I mean, yeah, he's got it hard. but that doesn't mean I need to like him. I guess having a voice in his head isn't exactly doing him any favours either..

Nazbaque
09-23-2008, 08:31 AM
If those qualities annoy you that much you must really hate certain female characters.

Orc
09-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Had you read the books first? Or are you working through them now?

I've owned the books for a few years now. Looking at my library, #8 and up are in hardcover, so I started reading them sometime after #7 came into paperback, and before #8 was released in paperback. Whenever that was. I'm sure some of you are insane.... er.... dedicated enough to know when that was. :D

Nazbaque
09-23-2008, 08:55 AM
oh you don't have to watch yourself with that word most of us take it as a compliment and the rest consider it a statement of obvious

Anaiya Sedai
09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
If those qualities annoy you that much you must really hate certain female characters.

i do. or maybe I'm just as short-tempered and stubborn and that's why I don't like it.
and do you know a woman who likes her man to be more stubborn than her? :D

GonzoTheGreat
09-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I've owned the books for a few years now. Looking at my library, #8 and up are in hardcover, so I started reading them sometime after #7 came into paperback, and before #8 was released in paperback. Whenever that was. I'm sure some of you are insane.... er.... dedicated enough to know when that was. :D
There is of course the possibility of actually reading the books, you know.

Most recent (post 1900) books tell you when they were published.

Orc
09-23-2008, 11:56 AM
There is of course the possibility of actually reading the books, you know.

Most recent (post 1900) books tell you when they were published.

Bah. You take all the fun out of having people do my work for me.

Have a s'more.

ShadowbaneX
09-23-2008, 12:33 PM
the truely insane amongst us actually go out and find hard cover versions of the books before we started reading.

I've got 1 & 2 in trade paper back and all the others in hard cover, save tDR, which is damned hard to find in HC. I also have most of them in paper back, and I've even got tFoH & tPoD in mini-hard cover.

Also, Gonzo, who bothers to actually go look in the book when wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Path_of_Daggers) has most of that information listed right at your fingertips.

DahLliA
09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
welcome Orc

*looks around and sees no beer*

*fetches another house-sized keg*

*nods, and chugs a mug*

lurk
09-23-2008, 04:59 PM
hello orc/pyro
sooo you is a superhero, hidden identity and all

hmmm what does your costume look like

~imagines a burning orc and smiles~

Nazbaque
09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
i do. or maybe I'm just as short-tempered and stubborn and that's why I don't like it.
and do you know a woman who likes her man to be more stubborn than her? :D
I know three: my sister, my cousin and my mother

Birgitte
09-24-2008, 12:27 AM
I am right there with you, Anaiya. Rand is all those things and has still managed to grow more and more childish as the series progresses. "Yes. Why don't you throw a fit and lock yourself in your room for a couple days again, little boy?"

Anaiya Sedai
09-24-2008, 06:19 AM
I am right there with you, Anaiya. Rand is all those things and has still managed to grow more and more childish as the series progresses. "Yes. Why don't you throw a fit and lock yourself in your room for a couple days again, little boy?"

it's probably mainly the guys who are disagreeing with us anyway :D:D

Terez
09-24-2008, 06:25 AM
I like Rand. I blame his issues on the fact that he has more responsibility on his shoulders than I could possibly comprehend. But this is just downright sexy:

TITLE - The Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 8 - Hard Heads

She had to laugh at him, with all his confused earnestness. "I do not know how things are done in the Two Rivers, but in Caemlyn you don't wait until you are betrothed before kissing a girl. And it does not mean you must become betrothed, either. But perhaps you do not know how —" His arms went around her almost roughly, and his lips came down on hers. Her head spun; her toes tried to curl up in her slippers. Some time later – she was not certain how long – she realized she was leaning against his chest, knees trembling, trying to gulp air.

"Forgive me for interrupting you," he said. She was glad to hear a touch of breathlessness in his voice. "I am just a backward shepherd from the Two Rivers."

"You are uncouth," she murmured against his shirt, "and you did not shave this morning, but I would not say you are backward."
:D

Anaiya Sedai
09-24-2008, 06:30 AM
lmao :D

Terez
09-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Anything that shuts Elayne up. :D

Anaiya Sedai
09-24-2008, 06:39 AM
oh yes.. she's more annoying than rand. together, they make the worlds most amazing couple. :rolleyes:

GonzoTheGreat
09-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Just think of the amazing offspring they'll have. It even impressed Min, remember?

irerancincpkc
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Rand, childish? He seems to be making the most out of the situation that he can...

I suppose I like Rand because Min does, and I trust her. :D

Ozymandias
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM

That could be because he's trying to save the ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD, and half the people he's working with are putting up stumbling blocks because they "know whats best."

Of the Big Three, Rand is clearly the msot childish, but he's light years more mature than Egwene (who has only recently acted like a normal human being), Nynaeve, or Elayne, all of whom I hate passionately. At least Elayne is hot.

Nazbaque
09-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Um Ozy a lightyear is not a unit of time. It's the distance light travels in a year.

Sarevok
09-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Um Ozy a lightyear is not a unit of time. It's the distance light travels in a year.
It's still a whole lot.
I wouldn't consider it wrong to say "he's miles more mature". Although it does sound a little weird.

Nazbaque
09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
How many roads must a man walk etc. yeah I guess you could kinda use it that way though it is a weird way of putting it

Cary Sedai
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I find Rand frustrating. He's not really stupid, he's just as stubborn as an old goat. I like him, but I want to take him by the scruff of the neck and shake him around.

I'm actually very upset that he lost his hand. I hate when my main characters lose body-parts!

Btw, this is a noob thread... what the heck are we doing discussing WoT here!? :p

~runs amok~

Nazbaque
09-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Discussing WoT opinions is allowed sis

*Throws a burning marshmellow at Cary*

Anaiya Sedai
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
yeah, where else can we discuss our opinions... oh, hold on, we do that all the time :D

Cary Sedai
09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Discussing WoT opinions is allowed sis

*Throws a burning marshmellow at Cary*

~zooms out of the way~

~winces as the burning marshmellow hits Orc~

Bro, that wasn't nice!

~hands Orc some chocolate and a grahm cracker~

more s'mores? :D

Nazbaque
09-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Orcseye!!

Cary Sedai
09-24-2008, 12:51 PM
~collapses in giggles on the ESC~

~sprinkles fairy dust all around~

Orc
09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Luckily, my one and only super power is immunity to burning marshmallows!

*throws s'mores at everyone within range*

Nazbaque
09-25-2008, 03:55 PM
FOODFIGHT!!!

*Throws burning marshmellows at everybody*

tworiverswoman
09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Thank you, Naz, for correcting the "light years" thing...

The one scene in Star Wars IV that always makes me want to pitch a hissy fit is the tavern scene when Han Solo is bragging that the Millenium Falcon made the Kessell Run in "less than twelve parsecs." GAH!

oh.... LOL -- I just went to do a little research to make sure I had my quote right -- and BOY is there a lovely case of what Seeker calls "retconning" here...
The Falcon is often connected to the Kessel Run, a pathway from Kessel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_planets_%28K-L%29#Kessel) past the Maw Black Hole Cluster used by smugglers to transport precious Glitterstim spice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glitterstim_spice).[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Falcon#cite_note-SWKessel-4) Solo in A New Hope brags that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in "less than twelve parsecs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsecs)", referring to his ability to move the ship closer to the Maw's black holes and therefore cut the distance traveled.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Falcon#cite_note-SWKessel-4) On the A New Hope DVD audio commentary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_commentary), Lucas comments that, in the Star Wars universe, traveling through hyperspace requires careful navigation to avoid stars, planets, asteroids, and other obstacles.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Falcon#cite_note-ANHcommentary-5) Since no long-distance journey can be made in a straight line, the "fastest" ship is the one that can plot the "most direct course", thereby traveling the least distance.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Falcon#cite_note-ANHcommentary-5) Solo's twelve-parsec Kessel Run is depicted in Rebel Dawn by A. C. Crispin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._C._Crispin).[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Falcon#cite_note-6) In a Dark Horse Comics issue, "The Kessel Run," the Kessel Run that Solo mentions is a scam that Lando uses to win money back from Solo after losing the Falcon to him. Lando and his friends trick Solo into thinking if he did the Kessel Run quickly, he would gain notoriety among smugglers. Ultimately, it is a scam and a kind of initiation for new smugglers.
So... he never meant it for a time frame at all, huh? Suuuuuuuure!

Cary Sedai
09-25-2008, 04:49 PM
FOODFIGHT!!!

*Throws burning marshmellows at everybody*

Yikes! ~ducks behind the ESC~

Bro! My wings!