PDA

View Full Version : RIP Robin Williams

Davian93
08-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Dead at Age 63 from a suspected suicide after battling depression.

A sad day.

Khoram
08-11-2014, 07:21 PM
No no no no no no no.

I heard about this and immediately went back to the Morgan Freeman death hoax a couple (?) of years ago. I don't want it to be true. :'(

Terez
08-11-2014, 07:59 PM
:( :( :(

Sad day indeed.

DahLliA
08-12-2014, 12:28 AM
RIP :(

rand
08-12-2014, 12:31 AM
:(
Usually when some bigwig celebrity dies suddenly I really couldn't care less, but this one genuinely hurts. RIP.

Terez
08-12-2014, 12:49 AM
:(
Usually when some bigwig celebrity dies suddenly I really couldn't care less, but this one genuinely hurts.
I read the comments on various Facebook postings including George Takei, and it seems a lot of people felt the same. Lots of actors are appreciated for their skills; few are truly loved.

Daekyras
08-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Sad day.

His dad really should have let him be in the play...

Davian93
08-12-2014, 10:45 AM
He was pretty much the greatest improv comic of the past 50 years. He was brilliant when he was thinking on his feet and ad libbing.

A very sad day.

Khoram
08-12-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm gonna be really sad when Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie go.

This is all just making me want to relive the Robin Williams episode of Whose Line...

Davian93
08-12-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna be really sad when Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie go.

This is all just making me want to relive the Robin Williams episode of Whose Line...

That episode was epic.

Khoram
08-12-2014, 11:22 AM
That episode was epic.

One of my favourite episodes, along with the Richard Simmons one. Love that show.

Davian93
08-12-2014, 11:24 AM
One of my favourite episodes, along with the Richard Simmons one. Love that show.

Robin and Wayne Brady were in peak form in that episode.

Though its not Wayne Brady's finest performance. His guest stint on the Chapelle Show is some of the finest television ever made.

"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b!tch?"

Ivhon
08-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Despite the shadow, there was an innocence and vulnerability about him that he kept the whole way through. Like so many others, this is the only celebrity death I can think of that moved me to tears. Partly his story. Partly the simple reason that Mork and Mindy was one of the few bright spots in a relatively unhappy childhood. Lots to grieve.

On that note. My business line has been ringing off the hook today. Old clients and intakes presumeably needing to process the loss. Given the loss and his personal life, I think it is appropriate to share the following link (I do this periodically anyway because it is so damn good). Everybody on this board either knows somebody who is depressed - sometimes explicitly - or has struggled with depression themselves. It is that pervasive.

The below is hands down the best depiction of what it is like to be depressed I have encountered (and I have had the diagnosis). I encourage folks to read it - its not too heavy - and share. One of the biggest things about depression is the feeling, bordering on conviction, that nobody gets it. For that reason, dipping into the experience here can help those suffering from depression recognize that they are not alone. If you aren't, it can help you be that person who DOES get it - at least kindof - for the depressed people you care about.

I put them out of order because I think the second is slightly better.

Depression Blog 2 (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html)

Depression Blog 1 (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html)

Davian93
08-12-2014, 11:39 AM
It's not your fault.

That's all you should say to all of them, Ivhon.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

Ivhon
08-12-2014, 11:47 AM
It's not your fault.

That's all you should say to all of them, Ivhon.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

I wish it were that easy. That and the Bob Newhart method: "Stop it! Just stop it!"

Davian93
08-12-2014, 11:50 AM
I wish it were that easy. That and the Bob Newhart method: "Stop it! Just stop it!"

But it worked in a movie!!!

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Agree with so many people on this...this one hits so hard and made me cry. So very sad that someone could be LOVED by so many people and yet still feel so very alone in the world.

I told someone else I just want to hug every person I see today. I can't explain it, but I guess that is a GOOD feeling, right?

Such joy and such sadness in life.

Davian93
08-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Agree with so many people on this...this one hits so hard and made me cry. So very sad that someone could be LOVED by so many people and yet still feel so very alone in the world.

I told someone else I just want to hug every person I see today. I can't explain it, but I guess that is a GOOD feeling, right?

Such joy and such sadness in life.

SBC...

It's not your fault.

Nazbaque
08-12-2014, 12:11 PM
SBC...

It's not your fault.

You know the it's not your fault only works with people who's minds are still partly shut. When your mind is really open and you see how much you and other people suffer because so few people own up to what is their fault, you get seriously depressed.

But it was still a great movie. Even though it had Ben Afflec in it.

Tomp
08-12-2014, 05:47 PM
I don't know how many times I watched Good Morning Vietnam. Loved that film.
The studio scenes where he is awesome were all more less improvized.

I still vividly remeber this epic Parkinson interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LaJDOD5cJI) where the legendary expert interviewer Parkinson can't get a word in and ask him the first question for about 8 minutes of the segment.

Mort
08-13-2014, 01:13 PM
A legend is gone :(

It's so sad that some of the best comics/funny people in the world seems to have this darkness surrounding them. Heard it from so many comics. The Sad Clown.

Frenzy
08-13-2014, 11:06 PM
i wonder if there is a correlation or causation connection in the brain between creativity and depression.

Ivhon
08-13-2014, 11:24 PM
i wonder if there is a correlation or causation connection in the brain between creativity and depression.

They are finding a link between bi-polar disorder and creativity. Depression shuts down or severely inhibits functioning in the pre-frontal lobes. When the depression lifts (continuing into hypo or full blown mania, if thats the cycle), there is a massive burst of activity in the areas responsible for creatve thinking as they come back online.

Terez
08-13-2014, 11:38 PM
If you're feeling sentimental enough to go watch Robin Williams movies you've never seen, some advice: don't watch One Hour Photo. It's....depressing. Watch it some other day.

Weird Harold
08-14-2014, 12:27 AM
I don't know about depression, but consider Howie Mandell, spokesman for adult ADHD; Howie was a very funny, manic, comedian until he was treated for ADHD. Now he's just a boring germaphobe.

Nazbaque
08-14-2014, 05:51 AM

Well that would depend on the causes of the depression and the nature of creativity. If the depressed person has a need to be creative, then the lack of it caused by the depression will then most likely intensify said depression. A more idle type of creativity sets the bars considerably lower and might then provide small success which in turn might alleviate the depression. And of course if an artist becomes depressed because of failure then it will be that much harder to succeed and thus begins a closing spiral.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2014, 08:19 AM
They are finding a link between bi-polar disorder and creativity. Depression shuts down or severely inhibits functioning in the pre-frontal lobes. When the depression lifts (continuing into hypo or full blown mania, if thats the cycle), there is a massive burst of activity in the areas responsible for creatve thinking as they come back online.

Er... um... that explains a great deal.

ETA: I'm not going to talk about what his death meant to me. It was intensely personal and hit home very hard. Memories of Robin Williams were bound up with memories of my dad.

So, yeah, don't know a lot of you well enough to go there.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2014, 08:22 AM
https://40.media.tumblr.com/9ebbe6bbb6ce1525a1c81bd7e2b6a2a4/tumblr_mh841y4giX1rr4zq1o1_500.jpg

https://36.media.tumblr.com/ee3e3ca724c1ae051d77680526058c94/tumblr_mh841y4giX1rr4zq1o2_500.jpg (http://boggletheowl.tumblr.com/post/41509206591/ive-been-getting-a-lot-of-these-lately-and-i)

Something that I've found resonated with a few people. Clicking on the pic should take you to the blog.

Mort
08-14-2014, 01:15 PM

I've gotten the impression some comics who are depressed do comedy as a way to fight it.

Tomp
08-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Stephen Fry made an interesting documentary on manic depression

Part 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8hqXd7N_A)
Part 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3rHTm1YLxA)

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2014, 02:46 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/robin-williams-parkinsons-disease/index.html

Davian93
08-14-2014, 06:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/robin-williams-parkinsons-disease/index.html

Robin always appreciated jokes in poor taste...so in that spirit, here goes:

Guess that's why he didn't use a gun.

Zaela Sedai
08-18-2014, 05:34 PM
He probably laughed at that one.

One of my favorite movies is What Dreams May Come, I loved it... talk about hitting home with what happened though. Hopefully he has the same ending.