PDA

View Full Version : fun topic.

Daekyras
08-15-2014, 10:56 AM
If you could live in the universe created for any series of books- sci fi or fantasy not a prerequisite- where would you like to live and what would you do there?

Davian93
08-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Can I channel? Because Randland would be pretty cool if I could.

Nazbaque
08-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Discworld, Klatchian Foreign Legion. Can't remember what I was doing there.

GonzoTheGreat
08-15-2014, 11:29 AM
I guess that The Last Question might be cool, but that's a short story, not a book or a series, so I don't know whether it qualifies. Obviously, I'd be answering the question.

Daekyras
08-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Can I channel? Because Randland would be pretty cool if I could.

Yes, you pick the world and suggest what you might do there. Try and be consistent with the world is the only restriction. So, you can channel and be as strong as you wish...

Don't say "Enders universe" and i have supermans powers!

Seeker
08-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Star Trek. 24th Century Earth. No racism, no poverty, everyone's needs are provided for, there's a general attitude of optimism. People can do pretty much anything they want with their lives. Sure there's the occasional Borg attack, but I'll risk it.

Seeker
08-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Failing that the world of Chuck. I'd want to be an Intersect.

Davian93
08-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Star Trek. 24th Century Earth. No racism, no poverty, everyone's needs are provided for, there's a general attitude of optimism. People can do pretty much anything they want with their lives. Sure there's the occasional Borg attack, but I'll risk it.

No money either...unless, of course, the plot requires it.

I know a really good gumbo restaurant though...so they have that.

Daekyras
08-15-2014, 11:50 AM

Isn't that the A-team universe??

Davian93
08-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Isn't that the A-team universe??

They get paid from those jobs they do...except for all the ones they refuse payment on of course.

That's the "you will never actually get hurt in a car crash" universe actually.

Seeker
08-15-2014, 12:03 PM

I know a really good gumbo restaurant though...so they have that.

You wouldn't really need money in a society like that. Want a new suit? Feed your measurements into the computer and one materializes.

Davian93
08-15-2014, 12:09 PM
You wouldn't really need money in a society like that. Want a new suit? Feed your measurements into the computer and one materializes.

What if I wanted to bid on a mint-condition 1951 Willie Mays baseball card to lift my dad's spirits during the height of a grim military conflict with the Dominion?

I'd look pretty silly without any latinum with which to bid.

Seeker
08-15-2014, 12:21 PM
True. But situations like that are probably rare enough that barter will work.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-15-2014, 12:40 PM
I dunnnnnno 'bout that.

If that were true, why would Harcourt Mudd have existed and tried to sell off his beauties??? Money Money Money makes the world go 'round. All worlds.

But I digress.

Probably choose the pre-Mordred King Arthur era. I would be an assistant to Merlin. Or just a plain ol' breadbaker. Makin' pies. Just makin' some pies and bread and eating cheese and drinking wine.

Ivhon
08-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide universe. Navigation officer on the Heart of Gold.

Seeker
08-15-2014, 03:29 PM
I dunnnnnno 'bout that.

If that were true, why would Harcourt Mudd have existed and tried to sell off his beauties??? Money Money Money makes the world go 'round. All worlds.

Money would be obsolete in a world where almost any material possession could be yours simply by asking for it. The situation Dav referenced is one in which Jake Sisko wanted a very specific baseball card (one that somehow found its way into Ferengi hands) for his father. The Ferengi, for whatever reason, still have a currency-based system. But they're often a kind of poorly executed straw-man political.

Anyway, the issue is supply and demand wouldn't equalize in the Federation. You can literally have almost anything. Scarcity as we understand it today does not exist. So there is a potentially infinite supply of goods. Infinite supply = 0 demand, so commerce based economics don't work.

Of course no one really suffers for that because, in the end, people don't actually want money. They want the things that money can buy. And they can have the things money can buy simply by asking.

I'm not saying it's a perfect world but if I could go there right now, sign me up,

Davian93
08-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Money would be obsolete in a world where almost any material possession could be yours simply by asking for it. The situation Dav referenced is one in which Jake Sisko wanted a very specific baseball card (one that somehow found its way into Ferengi hands) for his father. The Ferengi, for whatever reason, still have a currency-based system. But they're often a kind of poorly executed straw-man political.

Anyway, the issue is supply and demand wouldn't equalize in the Federation. You can literally have almost anything. Scarcity as we understand it today does not exist. So there is a potentially infinite supply of goods. Infinite supply = 0 demand, so commerce based economics don't work.

Of course no one really suffers for that because, in the end, people don't actually want money. They want the things that money can buy. And they can have the things money can buy simply by asking.

I'm not saying it's a perfect world but if I could go there right now, sign me up,

What if I wanted to own a vineyard in France but this bastard Picard family owns the site I want? I can't buy it from them as money doesn't exist and they're not really going to just give it away as its their historic family estate. Kinda sounds like I'm screwed.

Uno
08-15-2014, 05:42 PM
What if I wanted to own a vineyard in France but this bastard Picard family owns the site I want? I can't buy it from them as money doesn't exist and they're not really going to just give it away as its their historic family estate. Kinda sounds like I'm screwed.

Well, that's good for the Picard family, who won't have to part with their ancestral lands no matter what kind of financial difficulties they get into.

Tomp
08-15-2014, 06:07 PM

If Star Trek is ok to choose (although it's not a universe created for a book but a tv show) I'd pick that and I'd be a Q.

As an alternative I'd like to be on the white council in the Dresden files universe.

Frenzy
08-15-2014, 06:24 PM
If Star Trek is ok to choose (although it's not a universe created for a book but a tv show) I'd pick that and I'd be a Q.
Dammit, you took mine!!

Oh well, wouldn't mind being a Pern Dragonrider. Or the Dark Phoenix.

Davian93
08-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Well, that's good for the Picard family, who won't have to part with their ancestral lands no matter what kind of financial difficulties they get into.

I sure hope nothing happens to them....it'd be a shame if the place burned down and then someone could buy it.

Uno
08-15-2014, 07:09 PM
I sure hope nothing happens to them....it'd be a shame if the place burned down and then someone could buy it.

How? No money, remember?

Davian93
08-15-2014, 07:14 PM
How? No money, remember?

I'd imagine squatters rights would apply...its not as if Jean-Luc will be warping back to Earth to take over the family business so, given the lack of any other heirs, its open season.

Seeker
08-15-2014, 07:19 PM

I suppose if you absolutely have to have that specific plot of land. But it's a big planet in an even bigger galaxy. There are lots of places where you can have a vineyard.

More over the family might be willing to trade it to you in exchange for something. Even if there were money in existence, that wouldn't guarantee that you would be able to get that land. Nothing says the family has to sell it to you.

I think it's kind of a moot point.

The Unreasoner
08-15-2014, 08:33 PM
I'd live in the Dune universe, pre-Atreides Empire. Duke of a relatively rich planet, with large CHOAM holdings.

Fwiw, dunno if that hack kja wrote about this time period. But I don't seehis shit as canon.

rand
08-16-2014, 12:51 AM
I'd live in the Bible and be Russell Crowe.

Sarevok
08-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Seeker beat me to it, but Star Trek is indeed the correct answer. :)

Tomp
08-17-2014, 11:55 AM
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk23atjqtMQ) was an actual tv show?

I'm lost for Words.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-21-2014, 02:57 AM
Pern Dragonrider, but after they rediscovered the technology

or Discworld, The Librarian (ook!)

or MacGuyver, the one providing gum and hairpins.

Figbiscuit
08-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Where would I join?

I would join the Culture (Iain M Banks).

What would I do there?

Pretty much anything I wanted to, as that is how it's designed.

Failing that I'd go live on the Discworld. I'd like to be a witch but I'm not sure I've got the correct temperament.

DahLliA
08-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Star Wars.

The Force and lightsabers!

Or the 'Verse if I could be part of the Serenity-crew

fdsaf3
08-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I've always wanted to join the X-men universe. I'd want to be a good-aligned mutant, but I'm not sure of what powers I'd want. I think I'd want something that was more on the brainy/science-y rather than the combat side of things (think Beast rather than Cyclops). One idea I've been tinkering with for a while is the ability to understand and manipulate random chance - I'm thinking something sort of like precognition (knowing the winning lottery numbers, for instance). It's not terribly well defined at this point, but maybe something along those lines. The idea is to think of something beneficial and powerful without falling victim to the trend that every new mutant is stronger than the last. I don't want to be the most powerful Omega-level mutant ever. Give me something useful or beneficial and I'll be happy enough.

Another idea I had is to be a Sartan in the Death Gate Cycle universe pre-Sundering. Granted, I haven't read those books in 15 years. Still, I always associated with the Sartan more than the lame Patryn.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Jedi. Duh. Course, I'd have to be illegally married to Bryan.

White Council Wizard Grey Cloak. ;) But I'd actually try to find kids before they went Dark Side.

Aes Sedai, Brown or Blue Ajah...

Um... mine. (Yes, I'm cheating.)

yks 6nnetu hing
08-22-2014, 08:55 AM
One idea I've been tinkering with for a while is the ability to understand and manipulate random chance - I'm thinking something sort of like precognition (knowing the winning lottery numbers, for instance). It's not terribly well defined at this point, but maybe something along those lines.

soooo... Mat Cauthon the hatted donkey with a stick and puerile puns?

in other news, I'm back from vacation for 3 days and am already frustrated with work, can you tell?

Uno
08-22-2014, 12:15 PM
If you could live in the universe created for any series of books- sci fi or fantasy not a prerequisite- where would you like to live and what would you do there?

No fantasy universe for sure. They're great to read about, but there's so much unpleasantness for the characters that it wouldn't be too good to live in any of them. I think I'd go with Wodehouse's Blandings Castle. Or maybe I could reside at Brinkley Court. That's where the supremely gifted cook Anatole works.