PDA

View Full Version : Character

Daekyras
08-21-2014, 07:38 AM
If you could be any fictional character, from any book you've ever read, who would it be and why?

Try not to use characters that may have been based on real people....

I would be...Moriarity from Sherlock Holmes.

It just seems like he had all the benefits of Holmes intellect without all the draw backs. And he was having FUN. Plus, it might be nice to be "evil" for a change. As a man said, some people just want to watch the world burn...

yks 6nnetu hing
08-21-2014, 08:57 AM
eh. I identify myself a lot with Piglet from Winnie the Pooh. small - check. timid/shy - check. goes on regardless - check. loyal - check. plus, I still think that the most hilarious fictional scene ever was when Kanga cleaned Piglet and then nobody recognized him.

He's not really a fictional character... Or rather, the fictional character is based on a real life character who was not at all like the fictional character, but... I've always really liked Richelieu, both in the Three Musketeers as a fictional evil guy but also the person behind the myth/caricature as well. The Gray Cardinal. The Puppetmaster. I very much identify with his (actually verified) quote "I am like a 0. I need a 1 in front of me to be anything at all"

Nazbaque
08-21-2014, 09:45 AM
As in who I felt was most like me? Fitzchivalry Farseer I think, though our personal backgrounds are nothing alike even ignoring the obvious fantasy world stuff. However in personality I identify with him a lot, which is pretty much why those books are a tough read for me. I get too absorbed and feel too keenly all the hurt he goes through.

Who I would seriously like to be? Fitz's life is way too tragic for me so not him. Hmmm... the agony of choice. If Japanese light novels count as books and if they count with just reading the manga adaptation or seen the anime (I don't know the language well enough to read the originals and the translations' English is horrible) then Sai Akuto of Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou (the guy has a dragon underling called "Peterhausen"! You have to see the appeal in that) If it has to be books I've actually read, then Lobsang Ludd of Discworld.

Mort
08-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Every male lead role in every book, of course!

In other news: I don't know :(

Isabel
08-21-2014, 01:18 PM
I don't know who i would like to be. Although i do identify myself with Nynaeve :D :D :D

GonzoTheGreat
08-22-2014, 04:34 AM
Every male lead role in every book, of course!

In other news: I don't know :(
Sensible, considering for instance the male lead in Kafka's Der Process.

Oatman
08-22-2014, 09:01 AM
I'd say God, but since I've never bothered to read the Bible that would be outside of the bounds of the question.

Most protagonists in the books I read tend to experience a lot of unpleasantness, which I wouldn't to inherit at all.

If we're just talking character traits, I'd go Kvothe.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Er... Hermione Granger comes closest. From the books, not the movies. The movies made her super-human. In the books, she was flawed and not all that superior.

Uno
08-22-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm going to stick with the Wodehouse theme and say either Gally Threpwood or Uncle Fred (Lord Ickenham). I'm nothing like either of those two, but I would very much like to have their ability 1) to drink and smoke as much as they like and suffer no ill effects and 2) to always be able to arrange things so that they turn out well in the end.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Still struggling with Yks equating herself to Piglet. Puzzling and amusing at the same time.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Still struggling with Yks equating herself to Piglet. Puzzling and amusing at the same time.

And Richelieu.

Bit of a split personality, I admit

Frenzy
08-22-2014, 05:09 PM
David Xanatos, River Song, Susan Ivanova, Inigo Montoya, Ivy

Seeker
08-24-2014, 03:20 AM
David Xanatos, River Song, Susan Ivanova, Inigo Montoya, Ivy

The question is who you would be if you could be anyone in any novel, right? Not which character is most like you.

I'd want to live in a world with a cool magic system; so I'd probably say Elend Venture. B tells me he reminds her of me. She didn't know this, but I did once devise a system where the Stage Crew could remove me from power. And shocker of shockers, they did just hat.

Anyway, he's a mistborn, so that would be pretty awesome.

Seeker
08-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Or maybe Mordin Solus.

That would be fun too. Have killed many ways: guns, knives, tech attacks - once with farming equipment - but never medicine.

The Unreasoner
08-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Chrestomanci (the Christopher chant one).

Still love those books, though they're not really rereadable, and are for children anyway. But the character still kicks ass.

The Unreasoner
08-24-2014, 07:26 PM
The Mayor of Imaginationland would be fun too. Or Cully Cross from Fools Die. Or Dantes. Or Leto II. Or...

I hate this topic.

Bombadil. Alucard from SotN. The Happy Mask salesman.

Khoram
08-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. Or Dr. Alan Grant. Or both at the same time. Combining Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park would be awesome! So much better than that abomination we must never speak of.

Ivhon
08-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Ford Prefect

Ishara
08-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Khoram wins.

I think I'd like to be a Dragonrider in newly colonized Pern, or post-thread Pern. A green, obvs.

Frenzy
08-25-2014, 03:52 PM
The question is who you would be if you could be anyone in any novel, right? Not which character is most like you.

Look at you, sweet-talking me again.

But seriously, who wouldn't want to live in a world with real gargoyles, or time travel, or real magic and good pizza and to have the sum total of human knowledge?

Seeker
08-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Look at you, sweet-talking me again.

But seriously, who wouldn't want to live in a world with real gargoyles, or time travel, or real magic and good pizza and to have the sum total of human knowledge?

Frenzy, you have Xanatos's cunning with Ivanova's spunk. This officially makes you unstoppable. In fact, when the Cult of Cthulu tried to open a gate to the Outside, you're what came through.

Nazbaque
08-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Frenzy, you have Xanatos's cunning with Ivanova's spunk. This officially makes you unstoppable. In fact, when the Cult of Cthulu tried to open a gate to the Outside, you're what came through.

Nah, Frenzy is why it turned back and ran to hide under its bed.

DahLliA
08-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Alucard from Hellsing.

Immortal, nigh invincible, completely crazy.

Nazbaque
08-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Immortal, nigh invincible, completely crazy.
You want to be me?

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2014, 08:46 AM
You want to be me?
Wouldn't you want to be you?

Nazbaque
08-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Wouldn't you want to be you?

Well I can see the appeal from other people's point of view, but I'd rather be the me 10 years ago with all the knowledge of me now. I could post a lot of theories and go "told you!" for one thing.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Or maybe Mordin Solus.

That would be fun too. Have killed many ways: guns, knives, tech attacks - once with farming equipment - but never medicine.

LMAO, that I could see.

Didn't know video games were a possibility, though...

Seeker
08-26-2014, 08:51 PM
LMAO, that I could see.

Didn't know video games were a possibility, though...

I am the very model of a scientist salarian.
I've studied species turian, asari and botarian.
I'm quite good at genetics as a subset of biology
because I am expert, which I know is a tautology.

MY XENO SCIENCE STUDIES RANGE FROM URBAN TO AGRARIAN! I AM THE VERY MODEL OF A SCIENTIST SALARIAN!

Khoram
08-26-2014, 10:29 PM
I am the very model of a scientist salarian.
I've studied species turian, asari and batarian.
I'm quite good at genetics as a subset of biology
because I am expert, which I know is a tautology.

MY XENO SCIENCE STUDIES RANGE FROM URBAN TO AGRARIAN! I AM THE VERY MODEL OF A SCIENTIST SALARIAN!

Fixed. :p

Man, if I could be a video game character, I might choose Garrus Vakarian from Mass Effect, or adult Link from OoT...

Or maybe Dash Rendar from Shadows of the Empire.

Tomp
08-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Fixed. :p

Man, if I could be a video game character, I might choose Garrus Vakarian from Mass Effect, or adult Link from OoT...

Or maybe Dash Rendar from Shadows of the Empire.

You do know that "Shadows of the Empire" was both released as a book and a comic before it was a video/computer game, right?

Khoram
08-27-2014, 08:34 AM
I grew up with the video game. So as far as I'm concerned, it takes precedence over books and comics in my reasoning.