PDA

View Full Version : IM FIRIN' MAI LAIZERZ

Khoram
08-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Has anybody here gone through laser-eye surgery? Just wondering what your experiences with it were like; what it was like sitting in that chair with the laser being shoved onto your eye, having the corneal flap created and it looking like you were underwater. That sort of stuff.

I just had my eyes lasered on Friday, and I'm quite pleased with the results so far. Being able to toss my glasses after living most of my (long) life with them was an amazing feeling. It's crazy, being able to see like a normal person. XD

Mort
08-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Did it in like 2003-2004. Have almost perfect sight still. It was a little uncomfortable but otherwise just fine.

Terez
08-24-2014, 06:38 PM
I can't get it because my eyesight keeps getting worse.

Uno
08-24-2014, 07:04 PM
I got mine about 16-17 years ago. It was very painful for a day or so when the local anesthetic had worn off, but definitely worth it.

Khoram
08-24-2014, 07:45 PM
The first four hours or so after the surgery, and after the local anaesthetic wore off, were absolutely awful. It felt like I HD my eyes open under water (chlorinated water) for too long. So much burning. I'm glad it's finished.

I'm just glad I can still become a pilot for the Air Force. I just need to wait six months for my file to be furthered along.

Zombie Sammael
08-24-2014, 10:04 PM
I saw an ad when I was in town once that read "Laser eyes $1000". I thought it was too good an offer to pass up, but then you have to pay for the ruby quartz glasses and those buggers are expensive...

Davian93
08-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Those of you that have done it, can I ask what your prescription was before and then after the surgery?

Any major/minor side effects to worry about?

I've been debating getting it for years now so I'm curious.

Khoram
08-25-2014, 09:58 AM
I was myopic, with a -4.25 in my right eye and a -3.75 with a slight degree of astigmatism in my left. That was my most recent pair of glasses, which I got about five years ago. When I went for my consultation, I was told that my eyes were in fact slightly stronger than I thought, although I had developed a slight degree of astigmatism in my right eye.

Now, I'm close to perfect, with my eyes still healing. Although my left eye is now slightly weaker, they should even up fairly soon. Here's hoping.

Davian93
08-25-2014, 10:03 AM
My concern is that I have a fairly severe astigmatism in both eyes...but my overall myopia is -3.75 in my left and -3.25 in my right. I have to get astigmatism contacts though (ie $$ pricey) which is annoying.

Khoram
08-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Laser-eye surgery can correct astigmatism. At least, that's what LASIK MD claims, which is where I got mine done. I'm not entirely sure whether it's been fully corrected for me. Time will tell.

Mort
08-25-2014, 12:06 PM
I had something like -5 on one eye and -6 on the other. No other stuff to factor in, that I can remember.

Different types of operations though, you have the laser kind and then you have the "we'll put in a new lens for you" deal. The other one is usually done on people who doesn't have sufficient thickness on their eye-lens to reshape them, or some stuff like astigmatism I guess.

Go for a consultation, here I think they are often free, or cost very little.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-25-2014, 01:32 PM
You want to burn my eyes with lasers?

Well gooooollll-eee. I think I will just keep wearing these nifty newfangled glass optics on my nose

::shudder::

Khoram
08-25-2014, 02:26 PM
I had a free consultation, and I'm pretty sure it's standard practice nowadays.

Removing the lens and then replacing it would be for cataract surgery, which is completely different from laser-eye surgery.

And Saucy: glasses are a thing of the past. Embrace the future! And you could always go for LASIK with a blade creating the corneal flap. If you want a little more old-school. Otherwise, all-laser LASIK is the way to go. That, or PRK, which is where they remove the outer-most layer of the cornea with a brush, and then zap your eyes to kingdom come.

Yay lasers! :p

Mort
08-25-2014, 02:56 PM
And Saucy: glasses are a thing of the past. Embrace the future! And you could always go for LASIK with a blade creating the corneal flap. If you want a little more old-school. Otherwise, all-laser LASIK is the way to go.

I had the blade one. Didn't know you could have one with lasers only, huh.

Frenzy
08-25-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm old as hell and still don't need glasses. Other than my sunglasses which cut the glare that gives me homicidal migraines.

Uno
08-25-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm old as hell and still don't need glasses. Other than my sunglasses which cut the glare that gives me homicidal migraines.

Yes, but you don't seem to age, or at least you age very slowly. I'm thinking a deal with the Devil as the likely explanation for that, because I've never seen you channel. I didn't do as well when I made my own deal. Probably should have asked for something specific rather than choosing the mystery box.

Nazbaque
08-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Yes, but you don't seem to age, or at least you age very slowly. I'm thinking a deal with the Devil as the likely explanation for that, because I've never seen you channel. I didn't do as well when I made my own deal. Probably should have asked for something specific rather than choosing the mystery box.

Oh you don't make deals with the devil. You beat him until he begs for mercy and then tickle him until he gives you everything. That's how I did it anyway. I think he said something about cucumbers to Frenzy which of course made things that much worse for him.

DahLliA
08-26-2014, 06:27 AM
cut the glare that gives me homicidal migraines.

I read that as homicidal immigrants for some reason...

Well. Carry on :p

Khoram
08-26-2014, 03:42 PM
So have we decided that Frenzy is the devil? Or, at the very least, worse?

Her evil scientist ways have propelled her further into the realms of Death and Dismay than was once thought...

Nazbaque
08-26-2014, 03:47 PM
So have we decided that Frenzy is the devil? Or, at the very least, worse?

Her evil scientist ways have propelled her further into the realms of Death and Dismay than was once thought...

Not really. It's more that she is one of the few people who know that the devil is in truth a weakling.

Khoram
08-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Not really. It's more that she is one of the few people who know that the devil is in truth a weakling.

Which thus means she has power over the devil.

Nazbaque
08-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Which thus means she has power over the devil.

Technically yes, but I sought to stress the point that it is not that remarkable. In fact the general belief of it being otherwise for an average person is much more remarkable.

Khoram
08-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Well, yes, but I'm also pushing the idea that you would rather get on the devil's bad side than Frenzy's. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, after all. ;)

Frenzy
08-28-2014, 12:24 AM
MUCH much worse.

But since you're being so nice, Naz, i got you a punny present:
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3613843968/h5F9683CB/

Nazbaque
08-28-2014, 03:24 AM
Weeee! A birthday present from Frenzy!

The Unreasoner
08-28-2014, 03:59 AM

Well gooooollll-eee. I think I will just keep wearing these nifty newfangled glass optics on my nose

Didn't you ever shoot laser pointers in your eyes when you were a kid? I used to do it every night after my sister got glasses. I thought I would hate them, and heard about lasers replacing glasses. My friends did it to, but it was more of showing off for them. While it was not one of my brightest ideas, 20-10, 17 years later, and still going strong.

I don't know if it helped of course, but if you want to try, I'd recomend alternating eyes in 3 second bursts until you get used to it. Then you can go for longer. If it works even a little, maybe you would see the benefits of a professional surgeon with a more powerful laser.

Figbiscuit
08-28-2014, 09:31 AM

This.

Plus my face looks weird without glasses, and I don't feel dressed.

Khoram
08-28-2014, 11:26 AM
This.

Plus my face looks weird without glasses, and I don't feel dressed.

If and when I start posting photos on Facebook, you won't know what hit you. :p

Figbiscuit
09-04-2014, 06:17 AM
If and when I start posting photos on Facebook, you won't know what hit you. :p

I look forward to it. I see you're already practicing with the aviator shades ;)

Khoram
09-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Yes, well, they don't really change how I look. I've still got something over my eyes. :p