PDA

View Full Version : Attention Canadians!!!!

Davian93
08-25-2014, 09:58 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-24/burger-king-in-talks-to-acquire-tim-hortons-restaurant-chain.html

You must stop this...no good will come from this. Burger King will run Tim Hortons into the ground if this happens. BK is just an awful, awful business.

Hell, you'd be far better off with McDonalds buying them out.

Mort
08-25-2014, 12:08 PM
How is BK the evil incarnated? Over here they are quite nice, better than McDonalds for sure. Foodwise. Ethically, dunno.

rand
08-25-2014, 01:31 PM
I hate Tim Hortons (or at least the two I've been to), so I don't really care if BK wants them.

Khoram
08-25-2014, 02:27 PM
I hate Tim Hortons (or at least the two I've been to), so I don't really care if BK wants them.

Jerk :rolleyes:

Brita
08-25-2014, 02:49 PM
I feel like the sky is falling.

My mother in law was manager at Burger King for many, many years. I know first hand how unorganized and poorly run they are as a corporation.

And I love my Timmies.

No good can come from this.

Khoram
08-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I saw the article in the paper today. I do not want this to happen. :(

Davian93
08-25-2014, 03:05 PM
How is BK the evil incarnated? Over here they are quite nice, better than McDonalds for sure. Foodwise. Ethically, dunno.

BK, in the US, is kinda like Sears (another failing company here) in that they invade little to nothing in their stores and it shows. And their fries suck as does their overall company strategy.

Its a shame because as far as fast food burgers go, their burgers are better than McDonalds or Wendys (their major competitors in the US in that price bracket of cheap fast food).

Every time I walk into a BK these days, I feel a little dirty...even in VT where fast food restaurants are usually pretty clean and spotless compared to bigger city areas.

Them taking over Tim Hortons would really suck for Hortons...though it would be cool if I could get Tim Hortons coffee at a Burger King. That might make me actually want to go to a BK again.

Nazbaque
08-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Phaw! As if any of them could beat the Hesburger of Turku Finland.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Hesburger is the absolute best. Not just the burger either,but the sides... I mean the salad actually tastes like a salad.

Mort
08-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Hesburger is the absolute best. Not just the burger either,but the sides... I mean the salad actually tastes like a salad.

You don't make friends with salad! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Kj17oVHAk)

Terez
08-25-2014, 05:55 PM
BK, in the US, is kinda like Sears (another failing company here) in that they invade little to nothing in their stores and it shows. And their fries suck as does their overall company strategy.

Its a shame because as far as fast food burgers go, their burgers are better than McDonalds or Wendys (their major competitors in the US in that price bracket of cheap fast food).
I haven't ordered fries from BK in well over 10 years. When I go there I get 2 whopper juniors, or 2 ham and cheese croissandwiches, depending on the time of day obviously. Just had the latter this morning, yum.

Kimon
08-25-2014, 08:20 PM

Wendy's actually used to own Tim Hortons - from '95-2005. It probably was good for the company, at least in the US, as that stretch seemed to coincide with their decision to expand into the US, or at least into Michigan, where there are now quite a few Tims - at least in the Metro Detroit area. I'm still wishing that Tim Hortons would finally expand into Illinois. If this helps that happen, it will have been a good thing at least as far as I'm concerned.

ShadowbaneX
08-25-2014, 11:28 PM
I tried an American Timmy's down around Buffalo. I wasn't impressed.

Seeker
08-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Tim Hortons has sucked ever since they stopped baking fresh doughnuts and started heating frozen ones. The sandwiches aren't as good. Their non-caffeinated drinks (which I have to stick to) may as well be called diabetes in a cup.

Frankly, there's nothing Burger King could do that hasn't already been done by cost-cutting measures and other such decisions.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Wendy's actually used to own Tim Hortons - from '95-2005. It probably was good for the company, at least in the US, as that stretch seemed to coincide with their decision to expand into the US, or at least into Michigan, where there are now quite a few Tims - at least in the Metro Detroit area. I'm still wishing that Tim Hortons would finally expand into Illinois. If this helps that happen, it will have been a good thing at least as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah but us Metro Detroit-ers are honorary Canadians, so we don't really count in the "expansion" :p I am drinking my Tim Horton's coffee as I type btw. mmmm.

ShadowbaneX
08-26-2014, 10:55 AM
What I find truly amusing in all of this is that a company is coming to Canada to a reduced tax rate. Go figure that one.

Davian93
08-26-2014, 11:38 AM
What I find truly amusing in all of this is that a company is coming to Canada to a reduced tax rate. Go figure that one.

Especially ironic given that most American corporations take advantage of so many loopholes that they hardly pay taxes anyway.

Another S-M-R-T move by BK most likely.

Maybe they can change their fries again...why they dont simply copy McDonalds is beyond me. Or even Five Guys who also have solid fries.

Khoram
08-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Especially ironic given that most American corporations take advantage of so many loopholes that they hardly pay taxes anyway.

Another S-M-R-T move by BK most likely.

Maybe they can change their fries again...why they dont simply copy McDonalds is beyond me. Or even Five Guys who also have solid fries.

You mean have fries like this (http://youtu.be/DcJFdCmN98s)? :D

The Unreasoner
08-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Ive never even heard of Tim Horton's. But I have Five guys and In n Out and Peets coffee, so I don't feel I'm missing out.

Give BK a little credit. Their fries are better than In n out's.

Mort
08-26-2014, 12:56 PM
As long as Arbys stay the hell away from me, everyone will live another day. :)

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-26-2014, 02:28 PM

The more interesting part is that Warren Buffet gave like 3 billion in investment capital, so he is encouraging this, called Inversion. And Buffet and the White House are pretty friendly. And Obama just had a little fit about Inversions less than a month ago.

Should prove interesting fodder for the Sunday morning political/financial discussion folks.

Davian93
08-26-2014, 10:08 PM
The more interesting part is that Warren Buffet gave like 3 billion in investment capital, so he is encouraging this, called Inversion. And Buffet and the White House are pretty friendly. And Obama just had a little fit about Inversions less than a month ago.

Should prove interesting fodder for the Sunday morning political/financial discussion folks.

Warren Buffet puts Berkshire Hathaway first...as he damn well should. He's got investors that depend on him to make those decisions.

He probably would agree that the loophole needs to be closed but that's not the point.

Cor Shan
08-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Tim Hortons has sucked ever since they stopped baking fresh doughnuts and started heating frozen ones. The sandwiches aren't as good.
Yep, pretty much.

Their non-caffeinated drinks (which I have to stick to) may as well be called diabetes in a cup.

Ice Caps are actually the best thing ever for summer road trips.

ShadowbaneX
08-29-2014, 07:46 AM
but...they have tea.

GonzoTheGreat
08-29-2014, 08:00 AM
but...they have tea.
Does that mean you fancy having a Tea Party there?