PDA

View Full Version : Ban the pants!

Anaiya Sedai
09-21-2008, 07:43 AM
not exactly nice to look at, but prison for repeat offenders? :eek:

Judge rules saggy pants law unconstitutional (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26759466/from/ET/?gt1=43001)

RIVIERA BEACH, Fla. - A judge has decided a law banning sagging pants in this town is unconstitutional after a teenager spent a night in jail on accusations he exposed too much of his underwear.

Julius Hart, 17, was charged last week after an officer said he spotted the teenager riding his bicycle with 4 inches to 5 inches of blue-and-black boxer shorts revealed.

Hart's public defender, Carol Bickerstaff, urged a judge Monday to strike down the sagging pants law, telling him: "Your honor, we now have the fashion police."
Circuit Judge Paul Moyle ruled that the law was unconstitutional based on "the limited facts" of the case. Technically, however, the charge hasn't been dropped yet: a new arraignment awaits Hart on Oct. 5.

Voters in Riviera Beach approved the law in March. A first offense for sagging pants carries a $150 fine or community service, and habitual offenders face the possibility of jail time.

Proposals to ban saggy pants are gaining ground in several places around the U.S., and have met with opposition from civil liberties advocates who say they will lead to racial profiling against young African-Americans. The fashion is believed to have started in prisons, where inmates are not given belts with their baggy uniform pants to prevent hangings and beatings. By the late 1980s, the trend had made it to gangster rap videos, then went on to skateboarders in the suburbs and high school hallways.

Bickerstaff said she wants the city to drop the law regardless of whether anyone dislikes low-riding pants.

"The first time I saw this particular fashion, I disliked it," she told the judge. "And then I realized I'm getting old.

Bryan Blaire
09-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I've never understood making laws for this sort of thing, and if abused, could lead to all sorts of fun infringements on other freedoms of speech and expression. I've also never understood the "cool" factor of doing something that is, in essence, a prison marker, especially if you've never been to prison.

I doubt very many suburban thugs would enjoy their time in prison as much as they think they would. I already know that most of the suburban warriors in my Army units didn't enjoy being there as much as they thought they would. Figure the numbers would be about the same. :D

Very stupid law, hopefully it gets completely struck down.

Cary Sedai
09-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Stupid law!

Also I'm pretty sure that it started in prison is a myth. Not a hundred percent, but i've had two friends in jail/prison. One in county jail, on in the federal prison system. I've been to visit both of them. I never saw any of the other inmates wandering around with thier asses hanging out.

The one in county jail was 13 years ago and the one in the feds is current. They don't get boxers either. They are given whitey tighties.

I personally think the myth was started because it was a fashion first picked up by "gangsters" (using that word very generally). And most "normal" (again very general use of the word) associate all gangsters with prison...

I tend to think this fashion is on par with woman wearing g-strings or T-backs or whatever you call those very uncomfortable and seriously pointless in my opinion garments, with low riding pants that show them off.

Davian93
09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Something I've never understood: Women can jog in a sports bra but a guy can't wear low pants? Both are underwear so why is it okay for one but not okay for the other. Personally I dont give a crap about either.

Bryan Blaire
09-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, if it is a myth, Cary, then it has been given form in Texas prisons. Got an uncle who used to work with the prison system down around Corpus (he's a cop down that way) who told me about guys "sagging" in the early 80s in the prison system here. According to him, it was somehow used to mark "bitches", etc.

Zaela Sedai
09-21-2008, 12:45 PM
hrm...what i don't understand is that old man fletcher can get the mail in his undershirt and boxers....

Cary Sedai
09-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, if it is a myth, Cary, then it has been given form in Texas prisons. Got an uncle who used to work with the prison system down around Corpus (he's a cop down that way) who told me about guys "sagging" in the early 80s in the prison system here. According to him, it was somehow used to mark "bitches", etc.

It's definitely possible, I just know that I've never seen the sagging pants on any of my visits. Which were all Texas prisons. I'll ask about it in my next letter to my friend, he'll probably laugh hiss ass off and tell me way more than I need to know.

Nazbaque
09-21-2008, 03:23 PM
To me this kind of law is just stupid. I won't go into detail because I really don't know where to start.

But on the subject of baggy pants I must say I never understood that either. To me people wearing those look stupid, but that's just my sense of style. The thing is that this is popular among street gangs who at least try to be famous of being dangerous. So the guy in the baggy pants wants to fight? Pull down his pants and choose your favourite way of kicking his ass.

Bryan Blaire
09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, I doubt very much that it even has the same connotation any more, Cary, but if you are going to ask, pass the info along (if it isn't too graphic). I'm sure there are quite a few more prison rituals we could find out about as well, some that are likely mimicked outside prison without much of the population being aware. As it is now, it would be very hard to say where "sagging" actually originated, in prisons or outside, and then which way the transfer of ideas actually occurred.

I do know that at the county lock up here, you get issued a nice little orange and white horizontally striped jump suit, and it is awful hard to sag when there isn't even an opening for your keister and you look like a 3 year old in a funny colored onesie/footie.

pops taer
09-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Baggy pants are dangerous and look rather sick to me. One story though that I love to tell: Seems step-son had on baggy drawers and while working on repairing a wrecked vehicle got them caught in a hand grinder as he held it down from grinding off a rough weld. Game him a really good yank to the crotch...LOL. Haven't seen him in a pair since.

Another is the fella that got caught in the back yard he wasn't supposed to be in. Seems the only reason he cleared the fence and escaped the Pit Bull was his baggy pants..the dog got the baggy part and left all his personal parts with him. Now the guy wasn't trying to break in and steal anything unless it was some time with the other guys wife...LOL.

P. S. Legislating things like that is stupid.

Cary Sedai
09-21-2008, 06:46 PM
LOL, you said kiester!

Williamson County also has an orange jumpsuit. The federal penitentary down in Beaumont, has khaki pants a light green button down shirt, no belts. This was over in the low security compound.

My first visit I went to the medium security compound on accident and those guys were wearing the same, except light blue shirts. And flismsy boat shoes, like keds, or whatever you call them. My friend complained that he was stuck wearing whitey tighties, which made me laugh really hard. I've no idea what they were in the maximum security compound.

I'll ask him all sorts of questions and sensor it for posting. He's got a very colorful vocabulary. He works in the kitchens over in max. sec. once in a while, when he's not working as a plumber, so he'll have info on that, too.

Ozymandias
09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Something I've never understood: Women can jog in a sports bra but a guy can't wear low pants? Both are underwear so why is it okay for one but not okay for the other. Personally I dont give a crap about either.

Screw a sports bra... women can go to the beach in a bikini?!?!?! Now don't get me wrong, I have nooo problem with bikinis, and I support nude beaches and all that if your into it, but I was reflecting the other day that if a woman walked around in her underwear, it would be an outrage and she'd be mortified, but wearing a bikini which exposes considerably more is not only acceptable, but encouraged?

Just a random thought.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Never EVER go to University of Texas at Austin in the late spring/early summer. It is acceptable to wear a bikini top and daisy dukes to class, Ozy.

Cary Sedai
09-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Never EVER go to University of Texas at Austin in the late spring/early summer. It is acceptable to wear a bikini top and daisy dukes to class, Ozy.

Also never EVER to got Barton Springs in Austin, Texas. It is perfectly acceptable to go topless there. :D

(course there's a downside, men in banana hammocks who really shouldn't be wearing them):p

Terez
09-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I can't get over what these girls wear to class these days. I haven't seen bikini tops, but some of these girls go to class dressed like they're going to the club. Spike heels are not uncommon. What sort of idiot wants to walk around campus all day in spike heels?

Davian93
09-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I can't get over what these girls wear to class these days. I haven't seen bikini tops, but some of these girls go to class dressed like they're going to the club. Spike heels are not uncommon. What sort of idiot wants to walk around campus all day in spike heels?

There's more than one way to get an A. ;)

Terez
09-21-2008, 10:39 PM
I really don't think that's what they're after - I think they're trying to impress the boys in their own age group.

Davian93
09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I really don't think that's what they're after - I think they're trying to impress the boys in their own age group.

LOL...probably. Not that its too hard to impress the average 18-20 year old male...from what I remember most guys that age aren't too selective when it comes to women. Willingness is usually their most important trait to find in a girl.