PDA

View Full Version : IT people, I need your help

yks 6nnetu hing
10-02-2014, 08:27 AM
so, mighty Internet friends, please help me, I have the following problem:

I have a piece of archiving that requires:
1.5 GHz Intel Pentium Processor (or equivalent).
1GB of system memory (2GB recommended).
1TB of disk space.

Now, my thought was: I should be able to just buy an external hard drive of 1 TB and run the software from my computer that meets the other requirements... right? Or do I need to really have a dedicated machine just for the archive?

Nazbaque
10-02-2014, 09:21 AM
so, mighty Internet friends, please help me, I have the following problem:

I have a piece of archiving that requires:
1.5 GHz Intel Pentium Processor (or equivalent).
1GB of system memory (2GB recommended).
1TB of disk space.

Now, my thought was: I should be able to just buy an external hard drive of 1 TB and run the software from my computer that meets the other requirements... right? Or do I need to really have a dedicated machine just for the archive?

I'm not sure if you exactly need it, but external hard drives should really only be used for back up copying. That kind of continuous data flow between a computer and an ehd is really harmful to the hardware.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-03-2014, 01:25 AM
I'm not sure if you exactly need it, but external hard drives should really only be used for back up copying. That kind of continuous data flow between a computer and an ehd is really harmful to the hardware.

yes, that's the idea: to run a backup of our archive once or twice a month.

harmful for which hardware - that of my computer or that of the hard drive?

GonzoTheGreat
10-03-2014, 03:58 AM
If you want to use it for such back up, then I would advise getting an external hard drive.

I suspect that it would be harmful for the drive, as that's not expected to be running 24/7; it probably does not have the required cooling facilities built in. But that is a guess based on thinking about it now, not on actual knowledge of problems that occur when one does do this kind of thing. So it is possible that I'm overlooking something.

Nazbaque
10-03-2014, 04:26 AM
Ah well in that case it depends on the program. What I meant was that in general you should not run files or programs from the external hard drive, but only copy to and from. If it's not going to be in use for 24/7, there shouldn't be a problem. A cousin of mine ran music and movies from his until the hard drive's port gave up and everything was trapped inside.

GonzoTheGreat
10-03-2014, 05:10 AM
Yeah, when using an external hard drive as back up, it might be worthwhile to consider getting two of them, and using them in alternating months. That way, even if your system goes down and your latest hard drive is also shot, you'll still be able to get back to a situation of only a few months back, rather than to scratch. Note: I don't do that myself, so I do not say this is what you should do, merely what you could do.

The Unreasoner
10-03-2014, 11:37 AM
What if you got a regular hard drive and put it in an external enclosure? Could you run it continuously then? You could replace the enclosure cheaply if it failed, and could even try gonzo's alternating method.

Mort
10-03-2014, 12:45 PM
What type of information is it? For work? Sensitive data? As in: If I lose this data I'm screwed?

If yes to the last few questions, think of getting some kind of NAS (Network Attached Server) with several disk bays in it, that way you can use two or more disks in the NAS, and if one fails, you still have the other disks as redundancy. Takes a little bit of know-how to setup though. But they've gotten a lot simpler. Cost? Maybe 500 dollars and up depending on home vs pro stuff.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-09-2014, 06:15 AM
I'm kinda thinking about a NAS server as well. I do NOT want it continuously updating, that's just stupidly redundant because this would be sort of a "in case the main application crashes and the backup crashes, and the company burns down along with all our backup dvd's and also something catastrophic happens to the offsite servers" backup. if that's the case, we'll still need all our documents, provided we're still alive. Which is why it'll need to be portable and locked in a fireproof safe while not being updated.

GonzoTheGreat
10-09-2014, 06:38 AM
If the "we have to be alive" issue is to be taken seriously, then you could carry this extra back up HD on your person the whole time. That way, if you're hit by a meteorite big enough to destroy both you and all your co-workers, then the data will also be demolished, just as you stipulate in your requirements.

Mort
10-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Another way is to use an off site service. Carbonite, Amazon cloud storage and several others are pretty cheap, especially if it's mostly just dump stuff and let it sit.

Davian93
10-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Another way is to use an off site service. Carbonite, Amazon cloud storage and several others are pretty cheap, especially if it's mostly just dump stuff and let it sit.

I'm a big fan of Apple iCloud...totally secure and zero history of compromises so far.

Mort
10-11-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm a big fan of Apple iCloud...totally secure and zero history of compromises so far.

If Icloud really was vulnerable, we would see a lot more stuff than just hacked celeb phone pics, I think. No one really knows how they got out. Could just as well be another site was hacked and these people used the same password on several sites, including Icloud.

There is a lesson in there. Do not use the same passwords for email, cloud, facebook AND that new site that you havn't 100% trust in.

GonzoTheGreat
10-12-2014, 03:36 AM
Bonus lesson: if you want to keep something secret, do not share it with others.

Mort
10-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Bonus lesson: if you want to keep something secret, do not share it with others.

So far as we know, they didn't.

GonzoTheGreat
10-13-2014, 03:17 AM
So far as we know, they didn't.
They shared it with Apple, didn't they?

If you don't want someone else to see some pictures, then do not hand them over to others. Not even in a "Cloud".

DahLliA
10-17-2014, 04:43 AM
They shared it with Apple, didn't they?

If you don't want someone else to see some pictures, then do not hand them over to others. Not even in a "Cloud".

Especially not in a cloud I'd say :p