PDA

View Full Version : Civ: Beyond Earth

DahLliA
10-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Anyone else looking forward to it?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/01/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth-discovery-gameplay-trailer

It looks awesome, but I still hate myself a bit for buying it since I vowed never to buy another Civ after Civ V and all the bugs they never bothered fixing.

Isabel
10-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Looks interesting ;) However, i have never played civilisation.

Southpaw2012
10-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Could very well be the most addicting game series.

DahLliA
10-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Looks interesting ;) However, i have never played civilisation.

Never too late to start! I never played the series until Civ V (the previous one) and I got into it pretty fast.

Nazbaque
10-22-2014, 12:48 PM
FINALLY!!!!!

I must see how this compares to Alpha Centauri!

Frenzy
10-23-2014, 02:22 PM
i still play Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire

Nazbaque
10-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Got it!

Now installing

Update: Civgasm

DahLliA
10-25-2014, 04:05 AM
Gotta say. It's pretty awesome :D

yks 6nnetu hing
10-27-2014, 02:42 AM
My wonderful hubby bought it for me and I got to play with it for a few hours yesterday. Gotta say I love it. I normally don't like the sci-fi stuff so much but this is Civ so I'll cut it some slack.

Nazbaque
10-27-2014, 10:05 AM
First victory!

In my second game as I mucked up the first one and the AI pulled a fast one before I could conquer.

I think I can now say that I've gotten my bearings with this game and I must say that once again it is the scifi sequel of the traditional civ that brings new dimentions to the series. It still has bugs of course, but no doubt those get cleaned up as we go and in any case I haven't run into anything really annoying yet.

DahLliA
10-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Finished two games so far.

One Supremacy victory and one time (500 turns) because I wanted some war and removed all the victory conditions apart from domination.

Gonna try a new game as Harmony now.

Ishara
11-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Confession: I still play round after round of Civ III as a means to decompress after a long week...

Southpaw2012
11-03-2014, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Ishara;224398]Confession: I still play round after round of Civ III as a means to decompress after a long week...[/QUOTE

I can't play Civ V without becoming addicted.

Ishara
11-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Yeah, it's always 'one more turn...one more turn...I'll just stop when the road to my colony gets built...oh, shit! it's 1 am!' LOL

Nazbaque
11-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Ah yes the four little words of a civ addict:

"Just one more turn"

Daekyras
11-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Could very well be the most addicting game series.

Sensible World of Soccer 95/96.

Fairly sure I have a combined total of more than 6 months put into that game. Like 4000 hours. Worth every second.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Yeah, it's always 'one more turn...one more turn...I'll just stop when the road to my colony gets built...oh, shit! it's 1 am!' LOL

exactly!

I've got to say, normally I'm a serial starter: I like playing until about the invention of cavalry or maybe infantry at the latest. Then I give up and start over. This one though, I actually played to the end :eek: well... one game, so far, anyways.

Ishara
11-05-2014, 02:47 PM
It's railroads, for me. Build ALL the railroads, LOL.

DahLliA
11-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Still playing.

Got most of the Steam achievements now.

Gotta say the AI is pretty bad though. Watched my ally run four artillery straight into an enemy city to die :p

Hopefully some mods will come out and fix some of it.

Frenzy
11-07-2014, 12:11 AM
i haven't gotten in yet because:

1) I'm currently working on a sketching project and don't want to get distracted

2) I just got Civ V a few months ago, and am still struggling to learn it (I skipped Civ's III & IV, so...)

3) My "To read" pile is embarrassingly large, and I'm ignoring it right now because of #1...

So... i'll get to this eventually. I hope.

Isabel
01-21-2015, 11:31 AM
I just started playing civ 3. I really hate the fact that there is no good tutorial...:(

GonzoTheGreat
01-21-2015, 11:43 AM
I thought "don't I have a Civ 3 tutorial, or at least manual" and the answer turned out to be "no". Does that help? And if it does, why?

Nazbaque
01-21-2015, 11:54 AM
I just started playing civ 3. I really hate the fact that there is no good tutorial...:(

I shall help in anyway I can! Just ask.

The Unreasoner
01-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Civ 3 is still my favorite.. though I only played up to 4.

It's pretty straightforward, though. Specific details of how to implement policy can be confusing, but for the most part it's intuitive. If you focus on tech you can get money fast and early, or you can focus on expansion, drown them out in volume. Try to secure a narrow strip of land between two blocks of multiple nations. Then get an embassy for the major power on each side and get a mutual protection pact. Otherwise make your opponents build embassies. Weaker (or aggressive) powers will abuse them. If you need to force a war, make them furious by repeatedly demanding cities, then plant a spy and have him 'expose enemy spy' when there isn't one (if there is, do it twice).

Also keep track of the 20 turn counts on agreements. If you (even accidentally) break one, it pisses everyone off (even your allies).

You can also build custom maps, which is a blast. I have a WoT one, if you want (Aiel special units are fast and strong, Tar Valon's have a hidden nationality (which is really cool), Sea Folk have great boats and a uniquely productive government, Seanchan have a whole continent to start but are isolated, Andor/Tear (I kinda half-assed it) have lots of land and the most resources, and the Shadow has ICBMs and invisible assassins).

Isabel
01-21-2015, 12:31 PM
I shall help in anyway I can! Just ask.

Lol there are so many things i dont know. I didnt even know you can buikd embassies:D
So i think i am going to read the manual:(

Res_Ipsa
01-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Go Roman,

Legionary mops up everything early on. Its the only way to win on higher difficulties (imo) because the game cheats so bad.

Sarevok
01-23-2015, 04:35 AM
I still have civ III, but i used to suck at it (as in, got my ass kicked at easiest setting). Maybe I should try it now that I'm a little older. :)

Nazbaque
01-23-2015, 04:48 AM
Ah civ III the one where the techs Writing and Alphabet were still the wrong way around.