PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson

Southpaw2012
11-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Good lord, when will it end for these imbecile protesters? Vandalizing, attacking innocents, threatening the lives of those who aren't even involved... All over a crook who got himself shot when he attacked a cop. Of course, chances are these idiots don't have jobs, so they have all the time in the world to stand outside and do stupid shit. Unbelievable. Of course there are still morons who support these losers who find as many pathetic ways to use the race card when it's not needed. If the race card was used when things are the other way around, it would be a daily issue.

ShadowbaneX
11-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Aside from the topic at hand, which is disgusting by the way, I think I'm even more offended and how simple this is. I mean it's one big running logical fallacy and regurgitated rhetoric.

Supposedly you're trying to get in to law school. If this is as good as you can argue I think it'd be an embarrassment to whichever school has the dubious honour of having you enrolled there.

I would say that you'd be a terror to whatever legal area you manage to get in to, but from reading this and your other posts, I feel fairly safe and secure in the knowledge that you'd never actually graduate, let alone pass the bar exam and be allowed to practice law.

Tomp
11-08-2014, 08:21 PM
I saw the words Ferguson and stupid imbeciles. It made me think of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUZ42T9diU), which I think is the best analysis of the stupid youth society.

Davian93
11-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Aside from the topic at hand, which is disgusting by the way, I think I'm even more offended and how simple this is. I mean it's one big running logical fallacy and regurgitated rhetoric.

Supposedly you're trying to get in to law school. If this is as good as you can argue I think it'd be an embarrassment to whichever school has the dubious honour of having you enrolled there.

I would say that you'd be a terror to whatever legal area you manage to get in to, but from reading this and your other posts, I feel fairly safe and secure in the knowledge that you'd never actually graduate, let alone pass the bar exam and be allowed to practice law.

I'd be pretty worried if this individual were representing me...well said.

suttree
11-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Southpaw pretty much has to be a Poe right? The alternative is a bit too troubling to consider.

Terez
11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Southpaw pretty much has to be a Poe right? The alternative is a bit too troubling to consider.
Is that some internet lingo for troll? (I don't happen to believe he is a troll; I think he's sincere enough.)

Brita
11-11-2014, 09:38 PM
From the Urban Dictionary

Poe
A person who writes a parody of a Fundamentalist that is mistaken for the real thing. Due to Poe's Law, it is almost impossible to tell if a person is a Poe unless they admit to it.
"The Bible is true because it's the inerrant word of God! I know because the Bible says so! Glory!"

Is this guy serious? He's got to be a poe.

GonzoTheGreat
11-12-2014, 04:10 AM
I think you lot misunderestimate the quality* of right wing thought. It is entirely possible (and thus should be believable) that Southpaw is actually serious.

* Or lack thereof. That's like, you know, whatever!

Southpaw2012
11-25-2014, 01:44 AM
The terrorists aren't helping their case by burning down buildings of innocent people and looting their shit. Though I 100% supported the cop, I didn't blame the people for protesting. There are issues in Ferguson worth discussing with regards to race, but they habe completely destroyed their case and this will undoubtably cause a greater divide with respect to race than ever before. These people aren't protesters fighting for a cause, but terrorists using an excuse to steal and destroy. Sickening.

Southpaw2012
11-25-2014, 01:48 AM
I'd be pretty worried if this individual were representing me...well said.

No, I am in law school and I am doing quite well. I'm not here to present legal arguments to people who are brainwashed by the liberal disease because it'd be futile, nor do I have the time. I get on here to express my mind, not present an argument. And no, I do go to a great school, just so you know. I have a few of you on Facebook, so if I was bullshitting it'd be easy to out me.

Terez
11-25-2014, 02:14 AM
I get on here to express my mind, not present an argument.
That's what Twitter is for. This is a discussion board.

The Unreasoner
11-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Southpaw,
I'll keep this brief, because if I engage I would want to fucking destroy you. And that would piss off yks and Naz, who are very fond of your manners.

I actually avoided clicking on this thread, because I had a pretty good idea what would be in it. So, briefly:

1. Your facts are still way off. On a wide variety of topics.
2. Terrorists? Really?
3. Who was threatening to kill who? Reporters were threatened with death (by cops). So were people questioning the cops.
4. You are still parroting a false narrative, one politically convenient because if true, it makes no demands on us. And shut the hell up about race. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
5. Why not focus your attention on cops, and how they abuse power? The looting you keep bringing up is being done by a handful of people, often coming from out of town. The exception, not the rule. But cops have made theft a rule with civil forfeiture.

We have people with low intelligence, little education, and minimal training running around America with military-grade weapons. And that's why we get cases like the recent one where a cop gunned down a 10 year old kid. Cops arrest, rob, and kill innocent people every day. And they almost never get arrested, forget about charges or convictions.

I suppose you could be a Poe. You've never had an original thought, which could be evidence that you don't believe the crap you write.

But if you do, whatever law school you go to, you have demonstrated a severe lack of understanding of several basic elements of law and government. And you construct arguments incredibly poorly.

But, if you do scrape your way past the bar, I thank God the jobs are thin on the ground for lawyers right now. But if you must practice, stay in theshitty states (we all know which ones they are).

yks 6nnetu hing
11-25-2014, 03:17 AM
That's what Twitter is for. This is a discussion board.

indeed. We come here to argue, discuss, dissect and destroy other people's points of view.

Frankly, I learned more here about constructing a truthful and clearly worded argument than I did back in Uni. Because here, people WILL point out the glaring logical errors in your train of thought, they WILL examine every comma and they WILL ridicule every factual mistake.

Unreasoner, just because someone is incorrect does not mean that you should yell at them. Well, ok, maybe as a last resort but... if you start with yelling, and don't get any closer to agreement, then what? Two wrongs don't make a right, you know.

The Unreasoner
11-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right, you know.

I have heard the rumor. Which is why I did begin with a moderated tone.

I have had a cop threaten to kill me in the Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek area (suttree or Frenzy might be able to tell you guys how dangerous the area is). It was 1 in the afternoon, and I had a tail light out. When I was putting my ID back in my wallet, I dropped it, and when I bent over to pick it up, the cop put his hand on his gun and said that he'd blow my head off if I took my hands off the wheel again. Several times. I thought he was just on a power trip, but the thing is, he was probably entirely serious.

In other news, a no-fly zone has been established over Ferguson again. The cops accidently admitted on a hot microphone that the last one was mostly to keep media helicopters out of the area, but I am sure this one was set up with the best of intentions.

GonzoTheGreat
11-25-2014, 04:26 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right, you know.
Then how many does it take, actually?

I do agree with Southpaw that the (mostly out of town) cops in Ferguson are terrorists. So he does have a point, there.

Brita
11-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately Southpaw has a point that the few that are looting and thieving are going to drown out discussion of the real issues that are going on in Ferguson and other places like it. It will make for a very easy distraction and an excuse for the police to use (excessive) force.

GonzoTheGreat
11-25-2014, 08:40 AM
But then, that use of excessive force will fuel further resentment, which will justify even greater expenditure on police equipment and such. So capitalism wins, which is all that is important. Justice is ... well, justice is priceless*.

* Technically, that doesn't mean "worthless", but in reality it often does. It definitely is treated as such by any government that can manage to get away with doing so.

Davian93
11-25-2014, 11:10 AM
No, I am in law school and I am doing quite well. I'm not here to present legal arguments to people who are brainwashed by the liberal disease because it'd be futile, nor do I have the time. I get on here to express my mind, not present an argument. And no, I do go to a great school, just so you know. I have a few of you on Facebook, so if I was bullshitting it'd be easy to out me.

And yet you seem completely incapable of presenting a coherent argument.

I'd be worried if I were you...that's kinda one of those basic requirements of being an attorney.

Isabel
11-25-2014, 11:43 AM
My thoughts on the ferguson issue is that ofcourse the killing (unjustfied or justified) is not a reason to riot.
However, i do think you need to examine the reasons why people are so angry and try to fix that underlying problem.

The Unreasoner
11-25-2014, 04:21 PM
My thoughts on the ferguson issue is that ofcourse the killing (unjustfied or justified) is not a reason to riot.
However, i do think you need to examine the reasons why people are so angry and try to fix that underlying problem.

No one is arguing for riots. Brita has the right of it, and your post is a great example of why.

Riots were never the issue, never a problem deserving the attention it has received. But Fox and the cops keep trying to reframe the narrative to be about riots. The protests were largely peaceful. When tensions rose, a few provacateurs entered the fray to take advantage of the situation. But damages are on nothing like the scale Fox and Southpaw imply. Not even close. But they have hijacked the narrative.

Kimon
11-25-2014, 04:57 PM
I suppose you could be a Poe. You've never had an original thought, which could be evidence that you don't believe the crap you write.

Does anyone really understand where this slang came from? I'd never heard of it before (was it Nazdaque) it was first suggested in reference to Southpaw. I get the general meaning, after a quick look at urban dictionary, but why call a troll who is pretending to be a fundamentalist a poe? Is there an acronym here that I am missing. Is there someone very oblique and odd connection to Edgar Allan Poe??

As for the allegations:

As for whether or not Southpaw is a "poe". Not sure. His name could just be a reference to him being a southerner, or a lefty, or a lefty southerner. It does carry at least the potential of being a joke. If he is a "poe" he seems to be doing a shoddy job of it, as his trolling would just be mildly annoying. So if you are a poe, southpaw, try to make your trolling more creative and witty - like Gonzo's or Weiramon's. Kind of put this in the same category as Felix. Not sure whether or not you're a troll. Would find it odd if you (or Felix) were that you post and then abandon the thread. That constant abandoning of the discussion is the main annoyance to be honest. If you're going to bother to bring up the discussion, at least stick around and defend your stance.

As for the allegation against the cop, yeah, I'm not at all surprised that there was no indictment. That's not to say that I think he did nothing wrong. His use of force was definitely excessive, but it would also have been nigh impossible to convict him of even involuntary manslaughter. Perhaps better simply to admit that now, and allow the protesters to blow off some quite understandable steam, rather than have this play out for another year to end with the same inevitable result.

Frenzy
11-26-2014, 12:27 AM
But damages are on nothing like the scale Fox and Southpaw imply. Not even close. But they have hijacked the narrative.

Of course they are. If they hijack the narrative, they can make the news.

or...

Of course they are. If you keep the mob riled up, they'll ignore the fast ones you're pulling behind their back.

or...

Of course they are. If we actually face the problem, we might have to deal with it. If we have to deal with it, we might have to own up to past mistakes and lose face, or even worse: solve the problem and have to invent new bullshit to get bent over.

GonzoTheGreat
11-26-2014, 05:18 AM
Does anyone really understand where this slang came from? I'd never heard of it before (was it Nazdaque) it was first suggested in reference to Southpaw. I get the general meaning, after a quick look at urban dictionary, but why call a troll who is pretending to be a fundamentalist a poe? Is there an acronym here that I am missing. Is there someone very oblique and odd connection to Edgar Allan Poe??
Presumably, Poe knows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law).

Davian93
11-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Does anyone really understand where this slang came from?

Edgar Allen Poe was noted for his internet trollery...

The Unreasoner
11-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Of course they are. If they hijack the narrative, they can make the news.

or...

Of course they are. If you keep the mob riled up, they'll ignore the fast ones you're pulling behind their back.

or...

Of course they are. If we actually face the problem, we might have to deal with it. If we have to deal with it, we might have to own up to past mistakes and lose face, or even worse: solve the problem and have to invent new bullshit to get bent over.

...what? Are we talking about the same thing? I said the damage from riots isn't as bad as the media would have you think.

Gilshalos Sedai
11-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Frenzy's referring to the fact that politics nowadays are even more smoke and mirrors than usual. Each crises being enflamed and manufactured to hide what ever shady deal is actually going on behind the curtain to really fuck over the public.

Like, oh, I dunno... invading a foreign country to cover up the fact that the American banking system was shored up by duct tape and prayers?

Southpaw2012
01-20-2015, 11:19 PM
http://conservativetribune.com/brutal-black-crime-not-reported/

Al!? Al!? Al Sharpton, where are you?? CNN? MSNBC? Justice Department? Damn, it appears that another black on white crime has occurred and these "leaders of justice" are nowhere to be found. Funny how things work.

The Unreasoner
01-21-2015, 02:07 AM
Oh for fucks sake...

No one is defending violence. Because some criminals who happen to be black murdered two women who happened to be white, that has some bearing on the pattern of police violence against blacks? No one is saying those New York cops deserved to die. No one is defending these murderers either. Aren't you studying to be a lawyer? Are there only shitty schools where you're at? Have you heard of a strawman? Can't you form an argument? Not something to rile up your classless parents and friends, but something that is inherently compelling? Race doesn't even appear to be an issue in this case. Does this make the deaths of Tamir Rice and Eric Garner okay? Or do their deaths make the murder of these women okay? You're turning this into a scoreboard type thing, with a strong element of what suttree was talking about-positions divorced from reality. You're conflating a random crime with the pattern of police violence, particularly towards blacks.

What about Robert Cameron Redus? Who gets the political point for thatone? Yet another kid killed by cops, evidence points to murder; no charges filed.

But Redus is white.

The Unreasoner
01-21-2015, 02:17 AM
Hahahahahahahahahah. (http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/2014/07/fourth-tier-noxious-filth-northern.html?m=1)

LMFAO....a fourth tier law school is good? Why not just burn your money? You won't even to be able to get a decent job in a lobbying firm or conservative think tank. The best you can hope for is low level local politics, like a Tea Party group president, unless nepotism saves you.

Terez
01-21-2015, 02:37 AM
The yellow, it hurts my brain.

GonzoTheGreat
01-21-2015, 04:15 AM

Al!? Al!? Al Sharpton, where are you?? CNN? MSNBC? Justice Department? Damn, it appears that another black on white crime has occurred and these "leaders of justice" are nowhere to be found. Funny how things work.
From that link:
Four black thugs were recently arrested for a series of crimes, including the brutal double homicide of two white women a mother and daughter who were innocently enjoying the day in their home.
I do hope the Grand Jury will decide not to charge these men, otherwise they aren't a good analogue of the police-who-get-away-with-murder at all.

When they do get their freedom restored, so that they can continue their "job" of being government approved thugs, then it would indeed be interesting to hear what Sharpton has to say about it.

The Unreasoner
01-21-2015, 04:56 AM
The yellow, it hurts my brain.

It's not my site. I didn't like it either.

Do you think he really goes there?

Terez
01-21-2015, 06:23 AM
It would seem so. It's the only law school in northern Illinois aside from those in Chicago, and we know he's not in Chicago.

Isabel
01-21-2015, 07:49 AM

These people are arrested, so obviously justice will be done.
You cannot compare it to other cases in which people aren't arrested or not charged enthousiasticly.

Nazbaque
01-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Really Unreasoner? You take pleasure in his misery? You actually see that his life has little hope of success and you get pleasure from that? How small can you get?

GonzoTheGreat
01-21-2015, 09:36 AM
How small can you get?
Is that "you" aimed at Unreasoner only, or is it generic?
If the latter, is it a trick question of some kind?

Terez
01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Really Unreasoner? You take pleasure in his misery? You actually see that his life has little hope of success and you get pleasure from that? How small can you get?
Try ignoring him for a little while. You're starting to seem as obsessed with him as he is with Southpaw. Just saying.

Nazbaque
01-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Try ignoring him for a little while. You're starting to seem as obsessed with him as he is with Southpaw. Just saying.

Shouldn't a teacher pay attention to their students? One day he will understand the meaning of subtlety. He just needs some guidence and he is more responsive to the offensive method. Give me time and he will rival my star pupil Gonzo. Southpaw won't as he doesn't come to lessons often enough.

The Unreasoner
01-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Oh get over yourself.

He's not miserable; he's angry, ignorant and vile. And I have never taken any real pleasure from others' misery.

He's going to be fine. He'll have less debt than most (iow, not even close to the 150k average) and make around 50k a year right off the bat. If I am happy, it's because he needs a sharp lesson, and life will give him one. Ironically, you were right: I do care about Southpaw, albeit in an abstract way. And a repentent, evolved Southpaw would give me more joy than anything else on Theoryland has yet, except possibly Zombie and Lupus's wedding.

His school isn't as good as he thinks, his worldview isn't as sound as he believes, and his career won't be as smooth as he hopes (or at least so I imagine. No job as a Ferguson prosecutor/Chamber of Commerce lobbyist/Cato Institute analyst for the likes of him). Abd when it finally hits him, he might wake the fuck up. And if he does, I'll welcome him with open arms. If he needs something from me then, I'll be happy to help. We might even become friends.

You're miserable*. I'm generally less than happy, although for me it's purely biological. Southpaw is just in need of some discipline and guidance.

*while I may be out of line, have you tried mirtazapine? It's worked wonders for me.

The Unreasoner
01-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Is that "you" aimed at Unreasoner only, or is it generic?
If the latter, is it a trick question of some kind?

I lol'ed.

Nazbaque
01-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Oh get over yourself.
You know I've never actually been sure what americans mean by that. Most likely something different case by case. Would you go into detail?
He's not miserable; he's angry, ignorant and vile. And I have never taken any real pleasure from others' misery.
angry + ignorant + vile =/= miserable? And if you didn't take pleasure why did you laugh so hard? Out of bitterness? You are sadder than I thought.
He's going to be fine. He'll have less debt than most (iow, not even close to the 150k average) and make around 50k a year right off the bat. If I am happy, it's because he needs a sharp lesson, and life will give him one. Ironically, you were right: I do care about Southpaw, albeit in an abstract way. And a repentent, evolved Southpaw would give me more joy than anything else on Theoryland has yet, except possibly Zombie and Lupus's wedding.
Yet you miss the lesson life has in this for you.
His school isn't as good as he thinks, his worldview isn't as sound as he believes, and his career won't be as smooth as he hopes (or at least so I imagine. No job as a Ferguson prosecutor/Chamber of Commerce lobbyist/Cato Institute analyst for the likes of him). Abd when it finally hits him, he might wake the fuck up. And if he does, I'll welcome him with open arms. If he needs something from me then, I'll be happy to help. We might even become friends.
So why aren't you being his friend now and help him? Are you worthy of being his friend once he has woken up?
You're miserable*. I'm generally less than happy, although for me it's purely biological. Southpaw is just in need of some discipline and guidance.

*while I may be out of line, have you tried mirtazapine? It's worked wonders for me.
And that is why I keep telling you that you are shallow. Perhaps too shallow to understand what shallow is. It showed most clearly when you demanded to be shown what wisdom is. Wisdom doesn't work like that. You can't be given wisdom and you can't share it. All we can do is share knowledge. There are no shortcuts to understanding. All I can do is coax you to think and hope that understanding dawns.

The Unreasoner
01-21-2015, 11:20 AM
I don't think someone who talks about human beings deserving to be 'sodomized on a daily basis' can play the 'holier than thou' card. And I laughed because Southpaw called a fourth tier school good.

I found that funny.

Your schtick though...less funny. Inane, self-important, pseudointellectual bullshit. You are just so full of it...it's nauseating. You really do need to get over yourself.

And figure it out.

Nazbaque
01-21-2015, 11:42 AM
I don't think someone who talks about human beings deserving to be 'sodomized on a daily basis' can play the 'holier than thou' card. And I laughed because Southpaw called a fourth tier school good.

I found that funny.

Your schtick though...less funny. Inane, self-important, pseudointellectual bullshit. You are just so full of it...it's nauseating. You really do need to get over yourself.

And figure it out.
And so you find his ignorance amusing. That's another point where you show yourself to be shallow. You calling my cards 'holier' than thou is also such a point. Your judging my words by your emotions is yet another. And you apparently don't know what you mean yourself and are afraid of it and as you give into that fear you show yourself to be a coward with no control over your emotions.

GonzoTheGreat
01-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Oh Naz, get over yourself.
I'm not an American, so you should understand what I mean by that.

Nazbaque
01-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Oh Naz, get over yourself.
I'm not an American, so you should understand what I mean by that.

And that is why he is my star pupil!

*Hugs Gonzo*

But it's not about me getting over myself. I'm the teacher; you the pupils are supposed to get over me!