PDA

View Full Version : Catalan Secession?

Kimon
11-09-2014, 06:04 PM
So, apparently Catalonia conducted a non-binding referendum on independence, which Spain declared illegal but was unable to stop from happening. Somewhat marked difference from how the Canadians handled Quebec's flirtations with disunion, or how England more recently handled Scotland's attempt at secession.

Not sure that being a dick in response to a huge section of your country wanting to leave is a prudent reaction, but it does raise an interesting question closer to home. When South Carolina, followed soon thereafter by the rest of the traitors, rose in rebellion our response was quite different, albeit justified on numerous levels - their extremely dodgy rationale for insurrection combined with their attack of Fort Sumter, not to mention the more socially and internationally acceptable concept of indivisible empire at the time. So, what would happen if say Hillary is elected in '16 and South Carolina again threw a temper tantrum and left? Would we just say good riddance and let them go? Would we suggest that everything else south of the Ohio River and between the Mississippi River and the Rockies please take the hint and join them? Would we offer political/intellectual asylum to those who didn't want to live in the psychiatric ward? Or would we make them stay? I mean last time we had a moral obligation beyond the mere concept of empire to defend. England obviously wanted Scotland to stay, Canada wanted Quebec, Spain clearly seems to want the Catalans, but would we actually want the Confederacy to remain in the Union?

Nazbaque
11-09-2014, 09:36 PM
You mean it's not going to be an every state for itself duke out? Damn! I was looking forward to there being less than a quarter of the people left and the land anexed by Canada.

Terez
11-09-2014, 10:11 PM
I think that when people talk about the Confederacy seceding again and good riddance, they forget that there are more African-Americans living in the South than outside of it. Just because they don't quite have electoral majorities doesn't mean it's not their home too.

GonzoTheGreat
11-10-2014, 03:56 AM
I think that when people talk about the Confederacy seceding again and good riddance, they forget that there are more African-Americans living in the South than outside of it. Just because they don't quite have electoral majorities doesn't mean it's not their home too.
I think that one of the ideas of the wannabe secesssionists is to take away such "rights" from "improperly coloured people", thus solving the problem you raise.

A good solution to the problem might be to immediately acknowledge it, and give anyone in that new country 72 hours to leave, after which border patrols of the "shoot first, don't ask later" kind would be put into place. See how they like it when they are actually really self sufficient, especially when odds are high that their selves won't be sufficient to them. That ought to discourage others, and it would also show up the idiocy of much of the right wing propaganda. With any luck* this could give you half a year of quiet and sensible politics.

* I'm not sure that betting on being that lucky would pay out. Still, what's the down side, really?