PDA

View Full Version : Immigration Reform

Davian93
11-20-2014, 07:15 PM
The President finally does something he should have done 6 years. Now if he could have just had some balls when it came to healthcare, he might have been a great president instead of middle of the pack.

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Well, closing down Gitmo in his first year, as he had promised to do, was quite good too, wasn't it?

Davian93
11-21-2014, 07:44 AM
Well, closing down Gitmo in his first year, as he had promised to do, was quite good too, wasn't it?

Well, to be fair, he did try to transfer them stateside but Congress and the individual states blocked him from doing so.

Gilshalos Sedai
11-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Well... I think he's all but guaranteed the Tea Party will attempt to Impeach him now.

And no, I'm not even bringing the Republican party into this, it's all The Tea Party, in that they have the moderates by the short and curlies.

Davian93
11-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Well... I think he's all but guaranteed the Tea Party will attempt to Impeach him now.

And no, I'm not even bringing the Republican party into this, it's all The Tea Party, in that they have the moderates by the short and curlies.

Let them try. Its spelled out in the DHS charter that Jeh Johnson (the Sec of DHS) has this express authority to defer action as is outlined in Obama's proposal. The same executive discretionary authority has been exercised by every US president going back to FDR with no issues. The power is there. Its not an impeachable offense and they dont have 67 votes in the Senate either way.

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2014, 09:24 AM
From what I've read on the subject, something is an impeachable offence if the Senate says it is. After all, who could tell them otherwise? The UN?

Davian93
11-21-2014, 11:01 AM
From what I've read on the subject, something is an impeachable offence if the Senate says it is. After all, who could tell them otherwise? The UN?

We've had a pretty good run of not actually convicting impeached Presidents when they didn't deserve it.

Andrew Johnson wasn't convicted during a political witch hunt impeachment (much the same as what would happen to Obama if he were impeached for this)

Bill Clinton wasn't convicted during a similar stunt either given the requirement for "high crimes and misdemeanors" being impeachable.

Nixon would have been convicted but he had a list of major felonies that he was guilty of.

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Nixon would have been convicted but he had a list of major felonies that he was guilty of.
Good point. Obama could quit. I'm not sure that would slow down the Tea Partiers who want to impeach him, though.

Gilshalos Sedai
11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Joe Biden as President. ~shudder~

Davian93
11-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Joe Biden as President. ~shudder~

I like Biden.

Kimon
11-21-2014, 06:01 PM
I like Biden.

Yeah, not sure where all this disdain or worry concerning Biden is coming from. Sure, he has occasionally been guilty of an ill-advised ad libitum, but he's clearly not in the mold of say Sarah Palin. He's more than qualified and capable to be president, especially if just for a year and a few months. If he is perhaps a bit of a bumbler, well, Jerry Ford was hardly a disaster. Not that it would even come that. I have a hard time believing that even all the Republican senators, if actually forced to vote, would vote to convict. Most would, but there has to be at least some Republicans (even if only McCain) that still have a shred of dignity and decency. And even if they were all craven they would still fall well short of the needed 67 votes.

Davian93
11-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Yeah, not sure where all this disdain or worry concerning Biden is coming from. Sure, he has occasionally been guilty of an ill-advised ad libitum, but he's clearly not in the mold of say Sarah Palin. He's more than qualified and capable to be president, especially if just for a year and a few months. If he is perhaps a bit of a bumbler, well, Jerry Ford was hardly a disaster. Not that it would even come that. I have a hard time believing that even all the Republican senators, if actually forced to vote, would vote to convict. Most would, but there has to be at least some Republicans (even if only McCain) that still have a shred of dignity and decency. And even if they were all craven they would still fall well short of the needed 67 votes.

Even if they got every single GOP Senator, it'd be 54-46...assuming, of course, Landrieu loses LA...which is a good assumption as she's down something like 12 points with the runoff election less than 2 weeks away and that's not even accounting for the fact that turnout in runoffs is usually awful...something that will favor her opponent even more. I wouldn't be shocked to see her lose 60%-35% in the end.

Southpaw2012
11-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Obama has once again forgotten that he is not a king. We have three branches and a separation of powers for a reason. It is not his right to rewrite the dman immigration laws because he feels bad that illegals who came here ILLEGALLY don't get the rights of Americans. Congress not acting does not give Obama a right to act for it. The gridlock in Congress is what is meant to happen, though most people don't understand that because they don't do their research. Immigration reform is needed, but this isn't the way. Obama, the crook that he is, is doing this because he knows that Republicans will react and that'll give him ammunition to use the race card or some other bullshit. I feel bad for the legal immigrants; they struggled for citizenship and got it while crooks jumped fence and got a free ride. We can only wonder how much this cause others to come illegally now knowing there's no punishment if you stay hidden long enough.

Davian93
11-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Obama has once again forgotten that he is not a king. We have three branches and a separation of powers for a reason. It is not his right to rewrite the dman immigration laws because he feels bad that illegals who came here ILLEGALLY don't get the rights of Americans. Congress not acting does not give Obama a right to act for it. The gridlock in Congress is what is meant to happen, though most people don't understand that because they don't do their research. Immigration reform is needed, but this isn't the way. Obama, the crook that he is, is doing this because he knows that Republicans will react and that'll give him ammunition to use the race card or some other bullshit. I feel bad for the legal immigrants; they struggled for citizenship and got it while crooks jumped fence and got a free ride. We can only wonder how much this cause others to come illegally now knowing there's no punishment if you stay hidden long enough.

Deferred prosecution is an authority expressly provided by CONGRESS in the act that established DHS back in 2001. You'd think as an aspiring attorney, you'd be familiar with that...and with the concept of legal precedent given that the last half dozen Presidents have used the same discretionary authority during their own Presidencies.

But then, I'm assuming the law school you go to isn't very good.

Also, it's now Obama's fault if the GOP overreacts? That's some interesting rationale.

Davian93
11-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Immigration reform is needed, but this isn't the way.

Yeah, maybe the GOP House should have voted on the bill the Senate approved over 2 years ago by an overwhelming margin...the bill that everyone already knows would easily pass the House if Boehner had brought it up for a full vote.

Maybe they should do their jobs for once. But that'd be too hard. Simply bitching about everything is their preferred modus operandi instead.

Frenzy
11-22-2014, 12:43 AM
Yeah, maybe the GOP House should have voted on the bill the Senate approved over 2 years ago by an overwhelming margin...the bill that everyone already knows would easily pass the House if Boehner had brought it up for a full vote.

Maybe they should do their jobs for once. But that'd be too hard. Simply bitching about everything is their preferred modus operandi instead.

This