PDA

View Full Version : 13

Frenzy
12-11-2014, 09:37 PM
13 years ago I stopped posting here on an hourly basis, because I suddenly had a kid and he totally cut into my obsessive HCFF time. But now I suddenly have a teenager on my hands. How in the hell did that happen?!

My present to him is his own copy of EotW.

Nazbaque
12-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Ah well now he is just a teenager but pretty soon he will move to his own place, then he gets married and before you know it you're a grandmother.

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2014, 03:47 AM
Teenagers do not exist in the WoT, so you simply chose the wrong world to live in. That's your own fault, isn't it?

Nazbaque
12-12-2014, 03:58 AM
What about Egwene? She's is almost the classic spoiled youngest sixteen-year-old. At the start of the story that is.

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Not a teenager. Egwene is annoying, I'll grant you that, but there is no indication (apart from her age, admittedly, and her behaviour, admittedly, and her sense of entitlement, which non-teenagers can also have) that she is a teenager.
The only mention of "teenage" in the entire series is in the foreword to TGS, where Sanderson says that he was a teenage fantasy addict when he started on TEOTW.

The evidence here is quite clear: teenagers do not exist in Randland.

Nazbaque
12-12-2014, 05:54 AM
Ah well there you are fundamentally wrong Gonzo. Either we define teenagers as people in ageneral age group who behave in a certain way or we define them as people of ages thirteen to nineteen which include most of the main characters. It may be that in the world of WoT the term 'teenager' is yet to be coined, but the people themselves plainly exist.

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Are you sure?

Nazbaque
12-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Are you sure?

If behaviour is included we have the cases of Egwene, Elayne and Mat even if Rand and Perrin don't count. If we go by the simple age definition they all count plus a multitude of other characters.

We have characters within the age group, we have characters with the teenage frame of mind and we have characters who fit both descriptions. The only uncertain part is in wheter the actual term is in use.

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Not really. Another uncertain part is whether or not a social construct (which is what "teenage" is) is real in a situation where no one uses that social construct nor has any concept of it at all.
It is similar to the "is there any religion in WoT" question: while there is belief (as there are people in the teenage age group), there isn't anything resembling our organised religions, so the most accurate answer seems to be here that there is no religion.

yks 6nnetu hing
12-12-2014, 09:19 AM
13 years ago I stopped posting here on an hourly basis, because I suddenly had a kid and he totally cut into my obsessive HCFF time. But now I suddenly have a teenager on my hands. How in the hell did that happen?!

My present to him is his own copy of EotW.

Wow. Congrats/commiserations :eek:

Nazbaque
12-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Not really. Another uncertain part is whether or not a social construct (which is what "teenage" is) is real in a situation where no one uses that social construct nor has any concept of it at all.
It is similar to the "is there any religion in WoT" question: while there is belief (as there are people in the teenage age group), there isn't anything resembling our organised religions, so the most accurate answer seems to be here that there is no religion.

In other words the falling tree makes no sound if there is no one to hear it. Just because people are unobservant doesn't mean there is nothing to observe. Young people might not hold a similar position in WoT society but they are still young people and unlike religion teenage is partly biological. Much of what is considered teenage behaviour has its roots in the confusion of the changing body. You see some social constructs are on a much firmer basis than religion. A lot of the gender role stuff is in the end based on men and women being different in physical build and on the fact that you need at least one of each to make babies. Of course a lot ends up being rubbish because the construct is also based on economical conditions which change over time.

In short the point is this. Youth is a part of being human and the part of life referred to as teenage is not removable no matter how much we may wish it to be otherwise.

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2014, 12:11 PM
All of which will no doubt cheer up Frenzy enormously, now that she's got a teenager of her own to deal with.

Nazbaque
12-12-2014, 12:23 PM
... Gonzo, did you just admit that I'm right?

Tomp
12-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Since the new teenagers now are born in the noughties you have to be make sure they not become one of the naughties.

(Sorry that was a bit contrived. I'll try to do better in the future)

Terez
12-12-2014, 05:22 PM
In other words, we are all of us old. I think my 10-year TL anniversary just passed in October, but I'm very hazy on the early days and I remember I didn't find the forums until June of 2005. So which is my real anniversary? I only encountered a few people on the main site who are still around. So 10 years ago today, it's quite possible I was arguing with Callandor about something. He's still around; Facebook counts.

GonzoTheGreat
12-13-2014, 03:39 AM
... Gonzo, did you just admit that I'm right?
I will quote Bill Clinton, who is a good role model for this sort of situation: "I refer back to my former statement."

Nazbaque
12-13-2014, 04:09 AM
I will quote Bill Clinton, who is a good role model for this sort of situation: "I refer back to my former statement."

I will take that as a 'yes'.

And lo, he made Gonzo the Great admit that he was right.

Davian93
12-13-2014, 04:01 PM
In other words, we are all of us old. I think my 10-year TL anniversary just passed in October, but I'm very hazy on the early days and I remember I didn't find the forums until June of 2005. So which is my real anniversary? I only encountered a few people on the main site who are still around. So 10 years ago today, it's quite possible I was arguing with Callandor about something. He's still around; Facebook counts.

I started on the main board in Sept 2003 and the Forums in Jan 2004 (I think...might have been Dec 2003). I remember when you joined, T.

yks 6nnetu hing
12-15-2014, 02:29 AM
I started on the main board in Sept 2003 and the Forums in Jan 2004 (I think...might have been Dec 2003). I remember when you joined, T.

I seem to remember that you were a few weeks earlier than me. And Cor Shan was a few weeks later.

Davian93
12-15-2014, 08:47 AM
I seem to remember that you were a few weeks earlier than me. And Cor Shan was a few weeks later.

I thought you were here slightly before me actually.

yks 6nnetu hing
12-15-2014, 09:03 AM
I thought you were here slightly before me actually.

I'm too lazy to look it up. Call it TL-twins?

Davian93
12-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Close enough anyway. :)

ShadowbaneX
12-15-2014, 09:30 AM

I'd like to say that I remember when you all joined but it's all now a blur in my age addled brain.

I joined TL proper in the early days in 97 but didn't get to the Boards until they moved to EZ boards in 2000. That I do remember though...mainly because I was working at my 2nd job in impute services and had access to the Internet and could post while I was cleaning old machines.

Daekyras
12-16-2014, 05:27 AM
I am just about in the same boat as you frenzy. Except I have an Egwene. Oh, cant wait for all that hormonal screaming.

First boy that shows up at my front door is getting his ass kicked.