PDA

View Full Version : 3 Days Without Power

Davian93
12-12-2014, 09:04 PM
It's been a fun 3 days...the nor'easter knocked out our power around 7am Wed and it finally came back on about two hours ago. Not the longest outage we've ever had but quite annoying nonetheless. The damage is just massive across the state but especially in my town which was actually the worst hit in all if VT by this storm. Thousands of trees down and millions in damage. Just an awful storm and there are still thousands without power. We were lucky...we heat our house with a heating stove, our kitchen stove is gas so it still worked and we had sufficient supplies (food, water, candles, oil lamps and oil, etc) so I basically spent the last 3 days tending the stove, relaxing and reading. Read all of Sailing to Sarantium and am halfway through Lord of Emperors now...it was kinda nice to take 3 days and do nothing and we got to hang with our neighbors who we never talk to as they had a generator and I have a chainsaw so I cleared damaged limbs and they charged our phones, laptop and portable bluray player for us...barter society at its finest. I also taught them how to flush a toilet with a bucket of creek water...crazy kids never had to do that before. No water for us as we're all on private wells and well pumps need power. Good times overall.

Overall tally of damage: my fence was smashed by 3 separate trees and another hit my garage but there was no damage from that one at least.
Cheers

Dav

Khoram
12-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Sounds like a fun few days. We've still got snow coming down up here. But we haven't had anything serious yet.

I have, however, seen people who still refuse to put their snow tires on - they have until the 15th according to law, although it should be earlier.

Davian93
12-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Yeah it's still lightly snowing here. We've gotten about 15 inches at this point and we probably got close to 25 if you count the melted snow as it kept mixing with ice and rain from Tues to today. It's the wet snow and ice that have messed us up really.

I don't have my snow tires on yet...been a really hectic few weeks unfortunately. Getting them on this week at least.

Khoram
12-12-2014, 10:14 PM
There's so much snow that it doesn't even matter, cause you can't drive anywhere, anyways. ;)

Terez
12-13-2014, 01:01 AM
And here I thought I had moved up north. :(

I think we have gotten about an inch so far. We had a white Thanksgiving. With patches of green.

Davian93
12-13-2014, 03:58 PM
And here I thought I had moved up north. :(

I think we have gotten about an inch so far. We had a white Thanksgiving. With patches of green.

The Midwest gets hammered too...this is just an odd early season weather pattern where the NE (and especially northern New England) is getting hammered by nor'easters as well as Alberta clippers coming down from northern Canada. The odd jet stream dip over the northeast has meant we've been hit hard a couple times already...and gotten those minor clipper storms that drop 3-4 inches a few times too.

Gonna be another long winter I think.

Kimon
12-13-2014, 05:03 PM
The Midwest gets hammered too...this is just an odd early season weather pattern where the NE (and especially northern New England) is getting hammered by nor'easters as well as Alberta clippers coming down from northern Canada. The odd jet stream dip over the northeast has meant we've been hit hard a couple times already...and gotten those minor clipper storms that drop 3-4 inches a few times too.

Gonna be another long winter I think.

We've gotten pretty lucky here in Chicago considering how unusually cold it has been but no snow. There have been some pretty nasty snowstorms that just missed us to the north and to the south. Heck South Bend, Indiana (Notre Dame) has already had to use snow days. Still, to put things in perspective as regards the mentions of snow tires by you and Khoram, between my years here and in the Detroit suburbs (almost my whole life) I've never used snow tires, nor known anyone else who has. Of course both Michigan and Illinois salt their roads quite liberally.

Southpaw2012
12-13-2014, 05:23 PM
I think we're supposed to get snow in the Chicago area soon...

Davian93
12-13-2014, 05:30 PM
We've gotten pretty lucky here in Chicago considering how unusually cold it has been but no snow. There have been some pretty nasty snowstorms that just missed us to the north and to the south. Heck South Bend, Indiana (Notre Dame) has already had to use snow days. Still, to put things in perspective as regards the mentions of snow tires by you and Khoram, between my years here and in the Detroit suburbs (almost my whole life) I've never used snow tires, nor known anyone else who has. Of course both Michigan and Illinois salt their roads quite liberally.

I use them every year...too many mountains/hills in VT where traction is a huge concern. If I lived in a more urban area, I'd probably forego them as plowing/salting tends to be better in such areas.

Terez
12-13-2014, 06:12 PM
I am told I will only need all-weather radials. I live in the middle of nowhere, but it's pretty flat, and we have a local snow crew. They were out with the first snow, cleaning the leaves out of the gutters.

Khoram
12-13-2014, 07:27 PM
I use them every year...too many mountains/hills in VT where traction is a huge concern. If I lived in a more urban area, I'd probably forego them as plowing/salting tends to be better in such areas.

I live in a more urban area. We definitely need snow tires. Just the other day, a car lost control and got stuck in a snow bank right in front of my house. They had to dig the car out with our shovel cause they didn't have one. They got it free, and got the car backed up in front of our driveway. Now, we live on a bit of an incline, and the car was turned out to turn down the hill. When they tried to give it gas, the wheels started spinning, but the car started sliding sideways down the hill. No winter tires.

Winter tires = a very good idea.

Davian93
12-13-2014, 07:39 PM
I am told I will only need all-weather radials. I live in the middle of nowhere, but it's pretty flat, and we have a local snow crew. They were out with the first snow, cleaning the leaves out of the gutters.

If you have all-wheel drive, it also lessens the need for pure snow tires...but your first "driving in the snow" experience should be fun. Its best to simply take your time and watch out for the ever fun black ice.

Kimon
12-13-2014, 08:22 PM
I think we're supposed to get snow in the Chicago area soon...

You live in Chicago? I assumed you were from somewhere more rural, or southern. As for snow on the horizon, doesn't look like there is anything predicted yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 50s, and rain on Monday and Tuesday. Supposed to get cold again after that, but I'm not seeing any snow on the forecast at least through the end of next week.

Terez
12-14-2014, 01:48 AM
I think he's just going to school up here. If I'm not mistaken he's from Georgia.

It was supposed to snow next Saturday. Then they took that forecast away, and not it's supposed to snow on Friday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Brita
12-14-2014, 09:25 AM
We have almost no snow. And I LOVE winter storms. I'll admit, I am jealous.

GonzoTheGreat
12-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Davian, were you gentled or were you burned out?

Res_Ipsa
12-14-2014, 02:31 PM
You should write the next great American novel, Davian. "Three Days Without Power," a novel about the existentialist crisis of a civil servant who enjoys a simpler life but still likes having a portable blu-ray player.

Khoram
12-14-2014, 02:47 PM
I'd buy it.

Res_Ipsa
12-14-2014, 03:08 PM
I'd buy it.

Who wouldn't, it would make a great mantle piece to pretend like we all read to impress our friends.

"Do you read Davian?"

"I do, and I have his book over there."

Khoram
12-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Who wouldn't, it would make a great mantle piece to pretend like we all read to impress our friends.

"Do you read Davian?"

"I do, and I have his book over there."

Davian. The next great philosopher. XD

Southpaw2012
12-14-2014, 07:21 PM
You live in Chicago? I assumed you were from somewhere more rural, or southern. As for snow on the horizon, doesn't look like there is anything predicted yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 50s, and rain on Monday and Tuesday. Supposed to get cold again after that, but I'm not seeing any snow on the forecast at least through the end of next week.

I'm from western Illinois and I go to school in northern Illinois.

Davian93
12-14-2014, 07:42 PM
No power for most of today again as more falling ice from trees took out power lines. What a crappy storm and week overall.

I did a lot of cleanup work around my property with my chainsaw...at least the parts I could get to easily with the deep snow. Lots of widow makers still caught up in the higher tree limbs that'll eventually fall down when we get a windy day. Easily the worst storm I've seen in the 8 years I've lived in Vermont and the locals all say it was worse than the "Infamous Ice Storm of '98" that was, until now, always used as the comparison for any winter storm of this sort.

I think I have the flu now though which kinda sucks...just in time to go back to the office tomorrow morning I guess. Feel like complete dogshit basically.

Kimon
12-14-2014, 08:03 PM

NIU?

Terez
12-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Now that I live here, I am not surprised. I thought you were local in Atlanta, though.

Southpaw2012
12-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Nope, not Atlanta. It was an 8 hour drive for me to get to the conference the past two years. Even longer now that I'm in northern Illinois. Though I won't be going for the next three or so years, I'm sure.

yks 6nnetu hing
12-15-2014, 02:53 AM
I miss snow. I really really miss snow. I mean, not that I particularly love snow when it's there, but when it's NOT there... well.

Brita
12-15-2014, 09:28 AM
No power for most of today again as more falling ice from trees took out power lines. What a crappy storm and week overall.

I did a lot of cleanup work around my property with my chainsaw...at least the parts I could get to easily with the deep snow. Lots of widow makers still caught up in the higher tree limbs that'll eventually fall down when we get a windy day. Easily the worst storm I've seen in the 8 years I've lived in Vermont and the locals all say it was worse than the "Infamous Ice Storm of '98" that was, until now, always used as the comparison for any winter storm of this sort.

I think I have the flu now though which kinda sucks...just in time to go back to the office tomorrow morning I guess. Feel like complete dogshit basically.

Yuck! I hope you feel better soon. OK, I love snow storms, but maybe not ice storms. It is raining here today- raining in Northern Ontario in December! I went snowboarding on the weekend, not very fun in man made snow that is turning to slush. We.need.snow.

Uno
12-15-2014, 02:28 PM
The involuntary Thoreau, huh?

GonzoTheGreat
12-27-2014, 04:53 AM
I miss snow. I really really miss snow. I mean, not that I particularly love snow when it's there, but when it's NOT there... well.
I* have provided snow, just for you. Isn't it wonderful?

* As they say in French, "il neige". Since they do not specify who that "il" is, I decided I might as well take the credit this time.

Terez
12-27-2014, 09:01 AM
I am still waiting for my snow. I have been telling the locals they can thank me for the lack of it, since apparently it's not going to snow because I want it to so much.

Marie Curie 7
12-27-2014, 10:30 AM
I am still waiting for my snow. I have been telling the locals they can thank me for the lack of it, since apparently it's not going to snow because I want it to so much.

We are definitely glad that you're here. :p

Frenzy
12-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Davian. The next great philosopher. XD

Oh, a bullshit artist...

Davian93
12-27-2014, 04:24 PM

That's typically how it works. Don't worry, you'll likely get all the snow you ever wanted and then some as winter goes on.

Its not nearly as exciting after the first couple storms. I rather enjoyed a 50 degree Christmas day to be honest...after 18 inches of snow on the ground for Thanksgiving.

Terez
12-27-2014, 04:51 PM
It snowed today, but you had to squint to see it.

Brita
12-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Its not nearly as exciting after the first couple storms..

Not for everyone. My love of winter storms has remained constant.

Terez
12-28-2014, 08:23 PM
See, northerners who love snow do exist. I believe Callandor was one too; he is from Wisconsin.

yks 6nnetu hing
12-29-2014, 01:33 AM
I* have provided snow, just for you. Isn't it wonderful?

* As they say in French, "il neige". Since they do not specify who that "il" is, I decided I might as well take the credit this time.

Thanks. I saw a puddle of it today.

Terez
01-04-2015, 08:32 AM
I had my first experience driving on ice night before last. That was fun. Then it snowed last night. We got less than an inch but it's covering everything, and we're supposed to get a little more this morning, and then 5-8 inches tomorrow night. Right now Saucy is getting what we got last night, though I suspect she's getting more.

Davian93
01-04-2015, 03:58 PM
I had my first experience driving on ice night before last. That was fun. Then it snowed last night. We got less than an inch but it's covering everything, and we're supposed to get a little more this morning, and then 5-8 inches tomorrow night. Right now Saucy is getting what we got last night, though I suspect she's getting more.

Ice never gets easy to drive on...snow is easy but ice is just brutal no matter what. Snow tires dont help at all on ice...even studded tires only have limited usefulness on ice.

Khoram
01-04-2015, 06:07 PM
We just had a pretty bad ice storm. Freezing rain and now it's melting. Only for the temperature to drop drastically overnight. So tomorrow's going to be absolutely awful.

Also, ice sucks. A lot.

Davian93
01-04-2015, 06:54 PM
We just had a pretty bad ice storm. Freezing rain and now it's melting. Only for the temperature to drop drastically overnight. So tomorrow's going to be absolutely awful.

Also, ice sucks. A lot.

Yeah, that just missed us south of you...almost pure rain all day today for us. Thankfully...I didnt want to deal with another long term power outage.

Everything will be frozen solid tomorrow though which does suck...given that it will make my driveway a sheet of ice. I'm gonna go dump a bunch of ash and sand down on it tonight before bed though to hopefully give it some grip.

Khoram
01-04-2015, 07:06 PM
I was lucky today - I had put a lot of salt and gravel down earlier in the morning, and by 10 am the ice was all rotten, and easy to shovel out of the way. Although it was so bad that my hair was frozen - I had ice forming in my hair. XD

Nazbaque
01-04-2015, 07:32 PM
http://static.naamapalmu.com/files/zo/medium/alfo6keo.jpg

Khoram
01-04-2015, 08:16 PM
So THAT'S what Santa does the other 364 days of the year!

Nazbaque
01-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Well not every day, but definitely too much the past couple of years. "Too much of a good thing" we tell him. "You'll do yourself a mischief" and it's true damn it! Look how thin he's gotten! He won't be able to fool the kids with a pillow next year. Okay, so I can see his point about getting down chimneys being easier, but there is a limit.

Khoram
01-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Fatsuits can do wonders, though.

Terez
01-05-2015, 01:56 AM
Ice never gets easy to drive on...snow is easy but ice is just brutal no matter what. Snow tires dont help at all on ice...even studded tires only have limited usefulness on ice.
Today I discovered that driving on snow is weird. It's all....squeaky. I also discovered that my car windows were frozen shut, which is a catastrophe for a smoker. Marie gave me some de-icer stuff when I got home but it didn't work. I guess I should order a cordless hair dryer?

When it started snowing I thought the ice would be terrible since it had been raining for two days, but it was worse the night before when the rain froze. I live in a small town in the middle of a hundred cornfields...some of the streets are clear but some of them are covered with snow, but when I drove around earlier I didn't notice any slick spots. I found a way to come into town that mostly avoids the brick streets; Marie says those are the worst when there is ice.

Everything is covered with at least a thin layer of snow, and there is enough snow on the ground between the door and the driveway that I felt like I was tramping through snow to get to my car. You have to understand, I'm 36 years old and this is the most snow I've ever seen, not counting fake snow when I went skiing in Gatlinburg and....somewhere in Vermont. I forget where, but I was visiting relatives in New Jersey in...April? and we decided to drive to Vermont to ski, and it was so warm that I was uncomfortable in my ski suit and there was some chick skiing in a bikini. There was one time I went to Gatlinburg when it was cold enough to keep snow on the ground easily, but they hadn't actually had any snow, so they had to make some.

GonzoTheGreat
01-05-2015, 03:42 AM
I found a way to come into town that mostly avoids the brick streets; Marie says those are the worst when there is ice.
Nah, cobblestones are way worse.

Weird Harold
01-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Today I discovered that driving on snow is weird. It's all....squeaky. I also discovered that my car windows were frozen shut, which is a catastrophe for a smoker. Marie gave me some de-icer stuff when I got home but it didn't work. I guess I should order a cordless hair dryer?

Only if you'd be comfortable with no glass in your windows. :( Even on low heat a hair-dryer runs the risk of shattering your windows.

The only solution if de-icer solution doesn't work is to leave your car running for long enough for the heater to thaw the windows.

Davian93
01-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Nah, cobblestones are way worse.

Yup, especially if they're granite. Granite is basically a sheet of ice even when its just wet...get a little bit of an ice glaze on it and its near suicide.

I do a lot of hiking in good weather and bad and when the granite parts of the trail (large portions of the state given that that's the only type of rock we have in VT) get wet on a rainy day, its like ice skating...zero grip even with very good hiking shoes.

Terez
01-06-2015, 12:32 AM
It's nighttime but since this is my first ever real snow I couldn't resist walking around and taking pictures. It's supposed to keep snowing all night, so I might have better pics in the morning.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10923618_10152672048902252_7251323177700864291_n.j pg?oh=668d5403d53c59d40633f88b80dc37b5&oe=552B9F0A
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10392388_10152672048907252_5401260528158655483_n.j pg?oh=d119ef3883e5109181bb9842e4887958&oe=552B3A7A

Marie Curie 7
01-06-2015, 11:14 AM
We got 4-5 inches. Happy snow! :) (I'm only saying that because I don't have to drive in it this week.)

Sarevok
01-07-2015, 03:18 PM
As long as the snow is squeaky, it's not that bad. It's worse when 1000 cars have driven over it and pounded it into an ice sheet. :)

Also, get a wind shield scratcher. Always works great for me. :)

Kimon
01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
The high today was 1 Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius), with a low of -9 (-23 Celsius) here in Chicago. Supposed to be like this till Saturday when the approaching "warm" front brings us up to a high of 18...

Davian93
01-07-2015, 06:06 PM
The high today was 1 Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius), with a low of -9 (-23 Celsius) here in Chicago. Supposed to be like this till Saturday when the approaching "warm" front brings us up to a high of 18...

It's -4 F (-20 C) at my house right now and going down to -17 F (-27 C) tonight. The current wind chill is -24 F (-31 C).

Fun times.

Kimon
01-07-2015, 06:50 PM
It's -4 F (-20 C) at my house right now and going down to -17 F (-27 C) tonight. The current wind chill is -24 F (-31 C).

Fun times.

Luckily didn't have to leave home. School I teach at, and every other school in Chicagoland, was closed today. Closed tomorrow too. Same thing happened right after winter break last year. I hate January - crappy weather every year.

Khoram
01-07-2015, 09:24 PM
It's -25 C right now up here, with a wind chill of -35 C. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Kimon
01-07-2015, 09:42 PM
It's -25 C right now up here, with a wind chill of -35 C. Nothing out of the ordinary.

One rather expects Montreal to be significantly colder than Chicago this time of year, and while we shouldn't be by any means warm, the average should be a high of 32 F with a low of 18. These temperatures are pretty ridiculous, at least for here, hence the entire city essentially shutting down.

Khoram
01-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Wusses is what you are. :p You're just like Toronto and Vancouver when it comes to snow. :D

Tomorrow's supposed to be fairly warm, with a high of -9 and a low of -11.

Actually, we're expecting to get snow tomorrow. Which is never fun, especially when we're still recuperating from Sunday's ice storm. *sigh* I'm not really looking forward to it. At least I don't have to drive too far.

Terez
01-08-2015, 02:13 AM
Wusses is what you are. :p You're just like Toronto and Vancouver when it comes to snow. :D
It's actually not the snow; it's the wind chill. (I live not far from Chicago.) It snowed Saturday night and again Monday night, the latter being the 4-5 inches Marie referenced earlier. Our back yard is adjacent to a high school; there was school on Tuesday; it takes them probably an hour to plow the whole town, and it stopped snowing early Tuesday morning. But school was closed on Wednesday, even though it hadn't snowed any more since Monday night.

Marie told me it's because there are a lot of kids who have to wait for school buses in the cold, and with the wind chill being -20 or worse, that was a frostbite hazard. I drove to a nearby town to get an oil change yesterday, and while I was waiting, I walked to McDonald's which was about a 5 minute walk. When I got back, everyone was scolding me, because they all knew I was from MS, telling me it was too cold to be walking around without a mask. Didn't I know I might lose an ear? But I kept the wind off my face, partly with my scarf, partly just by turning away from the wind every now and then.

Yesterday on my drive I noticed that the fields had gone from being totally covered to looking like they were just dusted; the wind was blowing all the snow somewhere, but I have no idea where. I couldn't see any drifts, but it was fields for miles around, so I guess the snow keeps going until it hits something.

Terez
01-08-2015, 02:22 AM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10525942_10152672048912252_5954607197641940019_n.j pg?oh=c0957f1302affb1d805a8244224fda5a&oe=55316E0A
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10923239_10152673112542252_1571148558149845698_n.j pg?oh=a1135a6773877ee76370a6c0386e14f4&oe=552D1265&__gda__=1429075760_d110b36027f6bae248b52210392852f 5

Khoram
01-08-2015, 08:05 AM
That's probably got to be one of my favorite times to be out - when there's barely any snow on the road, and a lot of wind. Seeing the snow swirl on the roads is really cool.

Oh, and I was talking about the cold. It's similar to how Toronto and Vancouver react to snow - not very well at all. :p

I used to take the train into school, and at one time, during winter, the train was an hour late. I didn't have proper footwear at the time (I only just got a pair of boots, similar to paratrooper boots from WWII), and it was about -15 outside. Not TOO bad, but I was 14 at the time, and wearing dress shoes. At least I had a coat on. XD

Terez
01-08-2015, 09:58 AM
That's probably got to be one of my favorite times to be out - when there's barely any snow on the road, and a lot of wind. Seeing the snow swirl on the roads is really cool.
It reminds me a lot of what it's like to drive on the beach (where I grew up), except the snow apparently doesn't get into your engine and cause havoc.

Southpaw2012
01-08-2015, 01:18 PM
It's actually not the snow; it's the wind chill. (I live not far from Chicago.) It snowed Saturday night and again Monday night, the latter being the 4-5 inches Marie referenced earlier. Our back yard is adjacent to a high school; there was school on Tuesday; it takes them probably an hour to plow the whole town, and it stopped snowing early Tuesday morning. But school was closed on Wednesday, even though it hadn't snowed any more since Monday night.

Marie told me it's because there are a lot of kids who have to wait for school buses in the cold, and with the wind chill being -20 or worse, that was a frostbite hazard. I drove to a nearby town to get an oil change yesterday, and while I was waiting, I walked to McDonald's which was about a 5 minute walk. When I got back, everyone was scolding me, because they all knew I was from MS, telling me it was too cold to be walking around without a mask. Didn't I know I might lose an ear? But I kept the wind off my face, partly with my scarf, partly just by turning away from the wind every now and then.

Yesterday on my drive I noticed that the fields had gone from being totally covered to looking like they were just dusted; the wind was blowing all the snow somewhere, but I have no idea where. I couldn't see any drifts, but it was fields for miles around, so I guess the snow keeps going until it hits something.

That much snow near Chicago? Fuckkkkkkkk

Terez
01-08-2015, 02:20 PM
We're not close enough to get the warming effect of the lake. I'm told it's not uncommon to get a foot of snow once a year in these parts.

Kimon
01-08-2015, 02:29 PM
We're not close enough to get the warming effect of the lake. I'm told it's not uncommon to get a foot of snow once a year in these parts.

Not sure what you mean by warming effect, do you think that being near the lake would mean less snow? It's often the opposite, as proximity leads to lake effect snow. Off of Lake Michigan the lake effect however seems to be especially egregious into western Michigan and Northern Indiana. That's why areas of western Michigan gets lots more (like usually twice as much if not more each winter) snow than say the Detroit suburbs on the other side of the state. Not really familiar enough with rural Illinois though to be able to guess how much more or less snow you would typically get out in the sticks as opposed to here in the Chicago suburbs.

Terez
01-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Not sure what you mean by warming effect, do you think that being near the lake would mean less snow?
No, just that the temperatures are often a little higher, which might lead to less snow. I'm told the lake effect mostly goes the other way (presumably because of the way snowy weather travels with the jet stream).

On the Gulf Coast where I'm from, we got the warming/moderating effect on the water, which was sometimes annoying because it only mattered 1) at night...our nights were not much colder than our days, and 2) when it actually snowed (very rarely, and only a little), we wouldn't get any, but just 10 miles inland, they might (north of I-10 was like a different climate).

Kimon
01-08-2015, 05:15 PM
No, just that the temperatures are often a little higher, which might lead to less snow. I'm told the lake effect mostly goes the other way (presumably because of the way snowy weather travels with the jet stream).

On the Gulf Coast where I'm from, we got the warming/moderating effect on the water, which was sometimes annoying because it only mattered 1) at night...our nights were not much colder than our days, and 2) when it actually snowed (very rarely, and only a little), we wouldn't get any, but just 10 miles inland, they might (north of I-10 was like a different climate).

Proximity to the Great Lakes does tend to lead to milder temperatures, but in winter that often just means it's still below freezing but with added moisture coming off the lake, hence lake effect snow. But yeah, it does often seem to mostly come off the western and southern shores - so into western Michigan for Lake Michigan, into northern Ohio (Cleveland) and western New York (Buffalo) for Lake Erie. Not sure which direction off of Lake Ontario gets the most lake effect. Upstate New York obviously gets quite a bit, but I'm not sure if Toronto gets more or less in the other direction off that lake. Lake Huron didn't seem to produce much lake effect snow, at least not in Michigan, and Lake St Clair was too small to produce any (also not technically one of the Great Lakes, but it was the closest of the lakes to where I grew up).

Khoram
01-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Toronto doesn't get much snow. Which is what prompted my earlier post about how they react to any accumulation of snow.

Now, saying that, I'm not sure what their experiences this winter are like.

Terez
01-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure why southpaw was incredulous about our snow, but I thought that might be a reason.

It snowed some more today but it's hard to tell how much we got because the snow we already had was blowing around so much. I had to shovel the driveway again, but I think that was mostly due to drifting. We might get another inch all told today.

Davian93
01-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Proximity to the Great Lakes does tend to lead to milder temperatures, but in winter that often just means it's still below freezing but with added moisture coming off the lake, hence lake effect snow. But yeah, it does often seem to mostly come off the western and southern shores - so into western Michigan for Lake Michigan, into northern Ohio (Cleveland) and western New York (Buffalo) for Lake Erie. Not sure which direction off of Lake Ontario gets the most lake effect. Upstate New York obviously gets quite a bit, but I'm not sure if Toronto gets more or less in the other direction off that lake. Lake Huron didn't seem to produce much lake effect snow, at least not in Michigan, and Lake St Clair was too small to produce any (also not technically one of the Great Lakes, but it was the closest of the lakes to where I grew up).

Same with Champlain...despite being the 6th largest lake in the US, its too small to really give lake effect snows. It does provide a warming affect that lengthens the growing season along its shore and on the islands in the lake. That's a big part of why Snowflake Winery on Grand Isle can grow normal varietals while all the other wineries in the state have to grow specific cold-weather hybrids in order for the plants not to die over the winter. We get small pockets of micro-climates along the lake and on those islands as a result.

Davian93
01-08-2015, 06:40 PM
That much snow near Chicago? Fuckkkkkkkk

Personally, I think it's Obama's fault.

The Unreasoner
01-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Terez, without asking for details, do you mind telling me how close you are to Chicago? For instance, could you go to the city for a spontaneous night out?

Terez
01-09-2015, 05:03 AM
I could, but it would take me about 2 hours to get there, depending on traffic. I start to hit the outer suburbs less than an hour into my drive.

GonzoTheGreat
01-09-2015, 05:51 AM
But with all that snow, there won't be much traffic, so that'd make it quicker, wouldn't it?

Khoram
01-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Slower. Duh. :rolleyes: The roads are in terrible condition as more snow falls, and people not used to driving in snow, or who don't have winter tires, will slow down dramatically lest they get into an accident.

Terez
01-11-2015, 01:38 PM
It's snowing again. Marie thinks I'm weird, but I washed my car before it started, with a sponge and a bucket and a drying towel, since it was almost up to freezing. (It's going to get colder again now that it's snowing.) The car is white so I was getting sick of looking at the mud. I scraped all the muddy snow out of the wheelhouses, scooped it up and took it around to the side of the garage, and covered it up with a pile of clean snow from the driveway-shoveling.

Khoram
01-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Yeah, there's no point to washing the car. It'll end up looking the same the minute you take it back on the road. Best to wait until the snow (and inevitably the mud) disappears in the spring.

Brita
01-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Yeah, there's no point to washing the car. It'll end up looking the same the minute you take it back on the road. Best to wait until the snow (and inevitably the mud) disappears in the spring.

This.

Terez
01-11-2015, 03:37 PM
The streets in my town aren't too muddy because there's not much traffic. They just started to get muddy the last couple of days; before that they were just white. I picked up most of my mud when I drove to nearby towns.

Anyway, I'm happy my car is clean; I can't imagine waiting until spring to wash it. If it had been colder today I wouldn't have bothered, but it was 31 degrees, which felt like spring.

Terez
01-12-2015, 11:13 AM
See how pretty?

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10931466_10152684633297252_6894198524657744212_n.j pg?oh=2b597d8346d651e2dbbf78f4cf7e175d&oe=5533557A

Nazbaque
01-12-2015, 12:20 PM
It's white! Unlucky car colour, white.

Terez
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
I didn't choose it, alas. It's my mom's car. We traded. Mine is red, but not suited to road trips.

Davian93
01-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Yeah, that's what we call "every single morning" in Vermont. 1-2 inches a night is pretty common this time of year for us.

It cools down at night and the air simply cant hold the moisture so we get a dusting to a few inches all the time.

Terez
01-12-2015, 08:02 PM
It looks like a lot of ours is going to melt this weekend. We will see; the forecasts are usually bad that far in advance, but the temperature ranges are more reliable than the precipitation forecasts.

Southpaw2012
01-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure why southpaw was incredulous about our snow, but I thought that might be a reason.

It snowed some more today but it's hard to tell how much we got because the snow we already had was blowing around so much. I had to shovel the driveway again, but I think that was mostly due to drifting. We might get another inch all told today.

Western IL did not get hit as hard.

Terez
01-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Yeah, that's what we call "every single morning" in Vermont. 1-2 inches a night is pretty common this time of year for us.

It cools down at night and the air simply cant hold the moisture so we get a dusting to a few inches all the time.
Apparently that is what happened this morning; it wasn't supposed to snow but we got about an inch of fluffy stellar dendrite (is that right, Marie?). This is what was left on my window after I brushed off my car:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10922506_10152686718042252_9201886290996517336_n.j pg?oh=9c16caca43d6ad63ae8e8b4cc20f7fa2&oe=552FDBFB&__gda__=1432795117_040d26e395194a0fb1a1674a99c41a3 b

I need to learn how to use Marie's fancy camera because I can only do so much with my phone.

Khoram
01-13-2015, 02:32 PM
No matter how many times I see snow, that has to be my favorite version. Nice and soft. Nothing to shovel. Picturesque.

Davian93
01-13-2015, 03:01 PM
No matter how many times I see snow, that has to be my favorite version. Nice and soft. Nothing to shovel. Picturesque.

Yeah, I love that version too. We had a couple inches of it last night overnight and its just so nice to see. super fluffy, light snow. Usually at the very end of a big storm or on super cold nights.

Khoram
01-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I love that version too. We had a couple inches of it last night overnight and its just so nice to see. super fluffy, light snow. Usually at the very end of a big storm or on super cold nights.

It's especially nice when there aren't any cars driving over it. Or better yet, it muffles the sound of the cars.

Marie Curie 7
01-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Apparently that is what happened this morning; it wasn't supposed to snow but we got about an inch of fluffy stellar dendrite (is that right, Marie?).

Yep, that's the kind. You can see some of the types here (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/class/class.htm). Or from this graphic:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/class/snowtypes4.jpg

We had stellar dendrites last week during our 4-5 inch snow, and then they changed over to mostly hexagonal plates, with some stellar plates mixed in. There were also a few capped columns, which are pretty cool. Then on Sunday they started out nice with stellar dendrites, but they changed over mostly to irregular clumps. The ones we saw the other day that had frost on them are rimed crystals.

Daekyras
01-14-2015, 03:58 AM
Yep, that's the kind. You can see some of the types here (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/class/class.htm). Or from this graphic:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/class/snowtypes4.jpg

We had stellar dendrites last week during our 4-5 inch snow, and then they changed over to mostly hexagonal plates, with some stellar plates mixed in. There were also a few capped columns, which are pretty cool. Then on Sunday they started out nice with stellar dendrites, but they changed over mostly to irregular clumps. The ones we saw the other day that had frost on them are rimed crystals.

Got up this morning. It was cold.

looked out the window and it was like I was a movie star in the 80's. There was so much white around I thought "I musta been at John Belushi's house."

http://media.irishcentral.com/images/20111101040024Snow.jpg

Snooooow!!!

Terez
01-26-2015, 11:40 AM
I wonder if Dav is snowed in with no power again.

Kimon
01-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Looks like he'll at least avoid the worst of it, or at least avoid the blizzard warnings. Looks like he'll see somewhere between 8-18". That's pretty awful, but still a lot better than what NYC, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and coastal Maine will get. Sounds like New York is essentially shutting down in preparation for the storm and putting in travel bans. My cousin in Boston is supposed to be hit with somewhere between 2 and 3 feet. That's a ridiculous amount of snow.

Davian93
01-26-2015, 06:58 PM
I wonder if Dav is snowed in with no power again.

Nope...too far north to be really affected this time around. Its a nor'easter so its utterly destroying the I-95 corridor but up in northern VT, we're expecting only 3-5 inches through tomorrow night...barely even a dusting really.

NY to Boston is basically shut down completely though. 2-3 feet of snow for the entire corridor between them and 3+ feet in areas outside of Boston. That's a showstopper amount of snow really.

Terez
02-01-2015, 12:01 PM
My very first snowman.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10450419_10152723419117252_3397415655958679259_n.j pg?oh=ed74bb29505179702f743f51268d898f&oe=55551FB5
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10628476_10152723415697252_5148282084201897483_n.j pg?oh=73924cc0e0368e701b6e409c364b9ed4&oe=554F269C

GonzoTheGreat
02-02-2015, 05:02 AM
My very first snowman.
Looks more like a snowperson to me.

Terez
02-02-2015, 06:09 AM
I decided it was a snow woman. An opera diva, to be exact.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/l/t1.0-9/10968469_10152723900532252_300131887084016819_n.jp g?oh=f4f6a49557aa76829b0ee73d77b40cce&oe=55509D75

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 06:14 AM
All that white stuff on her hat and scarf... Did she get the parts by doing... special favours for the producers?

Terez
02-02-2015, 06:15 AM
Now don't be coy. Being from Finland I'm sure you know what the white stuff is. She's an opera diva...in the snow. A snow diva.

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Oh it's just dandruff

yks 6nnetu hing
02-02-2015, 06:26 AM
I saw this on the internets the other day and your snow woman reminded me of it...

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2009/1/17/21/httpi40tinypiccomkd7ckgjpg-25570-1232246136-9.jpg

Khoram
02-02-2015, 08:37 AM
One of us. One of us.

Reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes.

Isabel
02-02-2015, 11:48 AM
I saw this on the internets the other day and your snow woman reminded me of it...

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2009/1/17/21/httpi40tinypiccomkd7ckgjpg-25570-1232246136-9.jpg

That is so cool Doris ;)