PDA

View Full Version : Happy Autumnal Equinox!

Cary Sedai
09-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Yay, it's fall! :D

Fall Equinox (http://www.infoplease.com/spot/equinox1.html)

In the language of science, an equinox is either of two points on the celestial sphere where the ecliptic and the celestial equator intersect. For the rest of us, it's one of two times a year when the Sun crosses the equator, and the day and night are of approximately equal length.

At the autumnal equinox (Sept 22, 2008; 11:44:18 A.M. EDT), the Sun appears to cross the celestial equator, from north to south; this marks the beginning of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere.

The vernal equinox, also known as "the first point of Aries," is the point at which the Sun appears to cross the celestial equator from south to north. This occurs about March 21, marking the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere.

On the date of either equinox, the Sun is above the equator and night and day are of approximately equal length; the word equinox is often used to refer to either of these dates.

The equinoxes are not fixed points on the celestial sphere but move westward along the ecliptic, passing through all the constellations of the zodiac in 26,000 years. This motion is called the precession of the equinoxes. The vernal equinox is a reference point in the equatorial coordinate system.

Lots of fun science-y links on the webpage! :D

Sinistrum
09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Meh, its just an excuse for hippies to go get drugged up on something and run around the woods naked. :p

Gilshalos Sedai
09-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Considering you want to go to the Fairy themed weekend at the Renaissance Festival, I really don't think you get to point fingers.

Unless it's to point out a half-dressed chick.

Cary Sedai
09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Meh, its just an excuse for hippies to go get drugged up on something and run around the woods naked. :p

I'm not a hippy! Though running around the woods naked (minus the drugs) is fun ;)

Cary Sedai
09-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Considering you want to go to the Fairy themed weekend at the Renaissance Festival, I really don't think you get to point fingers.

Unless it's to point out a half-dressed chick.

I wanna go that weekend, too! I can go on Sunday, I'm working on Saturday. Btw, Gil, did you ever get those pics downloaded and uploaded somewhere from last year. I believe there is a pic of me beating Sini over the head with my wand.... :D

Gilshalos Sedai
09-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Can't. The cord's missing and we have no idea where it is.

John Snow
09-22-2008, 01:36 PM

You seem to be saying there was something negative about what Sini said. It sounds great to me!

Sinistrum
09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
You seem to be saying there was something negative about what Sini said. It sounds great to me!

Only if the participants are first vetted and granted a license by the Office of Public Boobage first.

Cary Sedai
09-22-2008, 02:11 PM
hehe, okay, but seriously...

Isn't anyone excited about fall!? It's my favorite season. The links in the article were neat, too.

Fall smells so good! I'm gonna be living somewhere, where the leaves actually turn colors and fall off the trees (at least more than they do here). And it'll actually get cold! I'm really excited! :D

RogueSavior
09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
You're forgetting about the required membership in the Baker's Daughter Guild, Sini.

Yes, I do slay me.

Terez
09-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll join you. :D

Brita
09-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Isn't anyone excited about fall!? It's my favorite season. The links in the article were neat, too.

I am so with you on this one. I adore Autumn- adore it! It is by far my favourite season.

irerancincpkc
09-22-2008, 02:59 PM
It is my favorite season as well. Perfect temps, and sweet-colored leaves. :D

Sarevok
09-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Hehe, Happy Happy :D

tworiverswoman
09-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Hehe, Happy Happy :DDid you mean "Happy hippie?"

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/tworiverswoman/whistle.gif

This is one of the very few flaws to living in Hawaii -- no noticeable seasonal change. Wellll.... it gets a little bit wetter during "winter."

On the other hand, when you are all very thoroughly sick of frostbitten noses and fingers, and shovelling out the driveway, and shivering at bus stops and such, I'll be happy to gloat at you then.

Nyah!

Cary Sedai
09-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Did you mean "Happy hippie?"

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/tworiverswoman/whistle.gif

Hmmph! I'm not a hippy!

Nazbaque
09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Sare is.

And fall is the season of Beauty. It's as if all the trees were on fire!

Sinistrum
09-22-2008, 04:28 PM
It's as if all the trees were on fire!

I can arrange that. :p

tworiverswoman
09-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Tsk, Sini... NAZ is the "Great Lord of Fire" -- it's in his sig!

JSUCamel
09-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I used to date a girl named Autumn. And she WAS beautiful.

Cary Sedai
09-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Awww, that's sweet Camel.

So, how's chicago!? Please go to the dunes in a few weeks and take pictures for me! I love the way the sand and oak trees mix. You should really go to a place called Mt. Baldy. It's awesome, and beautiful! :D