PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Characters

The Unreasoner
01-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Okay, list your least favorite character(s) from each franchise, then pick a new franchise and do the same.

Tolkien's Work
Imrahil, Tuor.

ASoIaF
Jon, Tyrion, Rhaegar, and Dany from the books. Jon, Dany, and Pycelle from the show.

Dune
Duncan fucking Idaho.

Harry Potter
Harry Potter.

The Wheel of Time
Thom, Egwene, Bryne, Zen Rand, and Androl 'Gee whiz golly gosh' Genhald.

Eta:
And Bao 'Whatthefuckdidyoudotoanawesomecharacter' the Wyld.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-19-2015, 04:04 AM
Okay I'll bite, for the ones I actually have an opinion for. Also I'm assuming you're looking for characters which aren't deliberately written to be nasty, but are rather supposed to be... awesome or likable or whatnot?

ASoIaF
it's been a really long time since I read those... the mother, what was her name again?

Harry Potter
Harry Potter's dad.

The Wheel of Time
Mat

Malazan books
all of them except Tattersail

Kimon
01-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Tolkien
-Frodo (the Lord of the Rings was by far the worst of his works...)

ASoIaF
-close call between Dany and the Tully sisters. All three were painfully stupid.

Harry Potter
-Ron

WoT
-Egwene

I don't remember Dune well enough to comment.

Dark Tower
-Stephen King (writing himself into the story was stupid, but then this series started going downhill quick after Wolves of the Calla)

Davian93
01-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Tolkien
Frodo - As others said, he's just a whiny beyotch.

WoT
Caddy: Seriously? You were unnecessary and a silly "We need to have another mentor AS" addition to the later books. Also, every single tertiary character added from PoD on...just focus on the main characters.

Harry Potter
JK Rowling - quit messing things up. Harry and Ginny was stupid...so lazy for him to end up with his best mate's sister. He should have been with Luna damnit. And killing off my favorite secondary characters wasn't cool either.

aSoIaF
Anyone with Tully coloring...I'm pretty sure the overarching story of the books is that gingers are idiots who deserve to die whether its Lysa, Catelyn, Robb, Edmure, Sansa, etc. Clearly gingers suck at the Game of Thrones.

Res_Ipsa
01-19-2015, 04:02 PM
ASoIaF
it's been a really long time since I read those... the mother, what was her name again?

Catelyn Stark?

aSoIaF
Anyone with Tully coloring...I'm pretty sure the overarching story of the books is that gingers are idiots who deserve to die whether its Lysa, Catelyn, Robb, Edmure, Sansa, etc. Clearly gingers suck at the Game of Thrones.

Blackfish was pretty cool, we need more of him.

Not really on point to this thread about least favorite character but JK Rowling wrote a character that I hate more than any other literary character in fiction, Dolores Umbridge.

Daekyras
01-20-2015, 04:10 AM
[QUOTE=The Unreasoner;225725]Okay, list your least favorite character(s) from each franchise, then pick a new franchise and do the same.

Tolkien's Work
The dwarf. Yup, just as specific as that because they are all interchangeable.

ASoIaF
Catelyn Tully.

Dune
Paul Artreides

Harry Potter
Ron Weasley. Be a better friend, dick.

The Wheel of Time
The character I hated reading the most was sevanna but you're meant to hate her. I'm tempted to say gawyn but i am going to plum for the less obvious. Faile. How I hate reading about you.

The Belgariad/mallorean
Ce'Nedra. What is she supposed to be?

Tad Williams:
Maegwin. Be less stupid please.

Robin Hobb(assasins trilogy)
The fool. Urgh.

Davian93
01-20-2015, 10:49 AM
The Belgariad/mallorean
Ce'Nedra. What is she supposed to be?

Hmm...red hair? Probably a Tully based on coloring. Which makes her entire character make more sense.

I'm tempted to say gawyn but i am going to plum for the less obvious

He redeemed himself with a quick death. The only thing that would have been better would have been him tripping as he ran towards Demandred and falling on his own sword to die that way.

Frenzy
01-21-2015, 02:05 AM
Harry Potter
Harry Potter's dad.
Agreed.
The Wheel of Time
Mat
Agreed (of the main characters, anyway)
Malazan books
all of them except Tattersail
AGREED!!! omfg i hated what little i read of that series (first 4 books), and even Tattersail was annoying. Rake was amusing, but cliché as fuck. And what was the little sister's name again, the one who got sent to the mines or something? Felisin? Holy shite she needed to be a bloodstain at the bottom of a ravine.

Dresden Files
Elaine kinda annoys me, though i'm not sure why.

Pern
Lord Toric is an ass.

Belgariad/Mallorean]
Taiba. i don't dislike her as a character, just how piss-poorly she and her entire race's history were written.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-21-2015, 02:22 AM
Catelyn Stark?

Blackfish was pretty cool, we need more of him.

Not really on point to this thread about least favorite character but JK Rowling wrote a character that I hate more than any other literary character in fiction, Dolores Umbridge.

yes! Catelyn holier-than-thou Stark

I agree, Umbridge is probably one of the best deliberately written villains I know. Meaning, so evil and nasty but in such a believable way, that you would kill them yourself if you could. Another good one is Black Jack Randall from the Outlander books.