PDA

View Full Version : No longer endangered?

GonzoTheGreat
01-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Has the time come to take measles off the endangered species list?
It does seem to be making an impressive come back (http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-30942928), after all.
"Fears over children falling seriously ill after standing in line for Space Mountain could take hold. Perhaps we ought to start listening to credentialed researchers and mainstream doctors instead of celebrities who studied at the 'University of Google' and the fringe physicians and activists who enable them."
Another (fairly obvious) option is to simply increase the distance between the kids until there is no longer a risk of infection. Keep them at least a hundred yards apart, and the problem is solved. (May require some modifications to Disneyland, I admit.)

Terez
01-23-2015, 09:01 AM
People try to say that anti-vaxxers are primarily liberals, but I'd like to show them the Facebook post my local (Mississippi) news station made the other day about vaccination, particularly the comments. Vaccinations are either a Big Pharma conspiracy, or a government conspiracy, or both. I expected Mississippians to be a bit more sensible, at least more balanced overall, but there was not a single comment supporting government-mandated vaccinations, and there were over 60 comments when I looked at it, most of them ignorant. It was scary.

Daekyras
01-23-2015, 09:30 AM
People try to say that anti-vaxxers are primarily liberals, but I'd like to show them the Facebook post my local (Mississippi) news station made the other day about vaccination, particularly the comments. Vaccinations are either a Big Pharma conspiracy, or a government conspiracy, or both. I expected Mississippians to be a bit more sensible, at least more balanced overall, but there was not a single comment supporting government-mandated vaccinations, and there were over 60 comments when I looked at it, most of them ignorant. It was scary.

Are any board members anti-vaccination? Im genuinely interested as I really can't see the argument from that point of view. And I really tried....

Terez
01-23-2015, 09:56 AM
WLOX didn't present an anti-vax argument. They just reported on some law that is being moved through the state legislature that would give parents more flexibility in when and whether their children should be vaccinated.

Davian93
01-23-2015, 10:06 AM

Anti Vaxxers are mainly....just dumbasses across the entire political spectrum.

My favorite is when people rip immigrants for "bringing diseases north with them". Um, go look at the vaccination rate in Mexico and other central american countries...its all up in the high 90s percentage wise...why higher than the USA. Because those countries arent full of idiot soccer mom/helicopter mom, homeschooling fucking morons that invent problems when they dont have real problems to deal with. Thanks a lot Jenny McCarthy, you fucking idiot..I hope you and your kid die of some easily preventable disease.

Damnit, where's the tylenol?

Zombie Sammael
01-24-2015, 04:06 AM
Not vaccinating your children is a form of child abuse.

Frenzy
01-24-2015, 02:50 PM
For those who don't vaccinate due to religious or personal beliefs, can they legally be barred from public places like schools, mass transit, etc.? You don't want your kids vaccinated? Fine, they can't go to public school, take public transit, use public parks, etc. We already ban smoking from these places for public health purposes, why not disease-carriers?

Though i feel bad for the kids. They don't get a say, and isolating them only breed a new generation of idiots.

Nazbaque
01-24-2015, 03:50 PM
For those who don't vaccinate due to religious or personal beliefs, can they legally be barred from public places like schools, mass transit, etc.? You don't want your kids vaccinated? Fine, they can't go to public school, take public transit, use public parks, etc. We already ban smoking from these places for public health purposes, why not disease-carriers?

Though i feel bad for the kids. They don't get a say, and isolating them only breed a new generation of idiots.

Well for one it's harder to keep track of than smokers who actually light a signal fire to show that they are there. For two it isn't as simple as non-vax = disease carrier. For three the individual human's immunity system evolves on the basis of what doesn't kill makes you stronger so too enthusiastic measures just lead to death by ineffective anti-bodies (though it is of course much more complicated than that), though this argument seems to be used incorrectly by both sides as in there are people who get it right or wrong and choose the appropriate side, but also people who get it right or wrong and choose the side they shouldn't.