PDA

View Full Version : Can I get promoted?

Daekyras
01-23-2015, 08:36 AM
To the powers that be:

It was my birthday on Monday. And I made my 1000th post. And I've been a member on this account for 5 years.

Can I get upgraded/promoted/raised?

I'd even settle for a joke name or something: the needy one, well-hung warlord etc.....

Thank you,

Daekyras

GonzoTheGreat
01-23-2015, 08:59 AM
To the powers that be:
Yes, of course. Makes sense, seeing how long you've been here.

The only problem is that it does not depend on the powers that be, it is up to the powers that aren't. Or rather, the power that isn't: Tamyrlin. If he ever did anything at all, then he could, and probably would, take care of this easily. But it is unlikely that he will:
The world was full of fools who could not think. ... The Creator had abandoned mankind to its own devices long ago.

Nazbaque
01-23-2015, 08:59 AM
To the powers that be:

It was my birthday on Monday. And I made my 1000th post. And I've been a member on this account for 5 years.

I'd even settle for a joke name or something: the needy one, well-hung warlord etc.....

Thank you,

Daekyras

Well you certainly should be raised to Ancient, but these things are up to the LotB getting around to it. And to make things clear to everyone it's not about post count, but presense. A couple of posts a week for a year is better than three hundred in one month and zero for the rest of the year. And generally the joke name's go to HotH members. And while you might get 'needy one' you'll never get 'well-hung', 'well-hanged' maybe but not 'well-hung'. And don't count on getting anything soon I don't even remamber how long I've been here and I'm still not 'the wet matchstick'

Terez
01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
It would set a bad precedent. If you were promoted, then we'd have to promote Unreasoner one day, and we have standards.

In all seriousness, raisings might be a thing of the past, simply because we get so few new members these days and have little reason to promote participation.

Daekyras
01-23-2015, 10:09 AM
It would set a bad precedent. If you were promoted, then we'd have to promote Unreasoner one day, and we have standards.

In all seriousness, raisings might be a thing of the past, simply because we get so few new members these days and have little reason to promote participation.

I kinda figured. Its not a big deal, I was mostly messing.

~hangs head.

I mean ~well hangs head.

tworiverswoman
01-23-2015, 03:16 PM
Well hangs the head on which the weary topknot rests.

What?

The Unreasoner
01-23-2015, 03:40 PM

*er-hem*

I'm still here, you know.

I think Daekyras should be raised. I don't think the same of me. Though 'well-hung' would need to be verified first.

Kimon
01-23-2015, 05:42 PM
To the powers that be:

Thank you,

Daekyras

Heck, I was supposed to have been raised to Ancient back in Dec of 2011 and have still been sitting in Elder Limbo ever since.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6357&highlight=member+raising

Khoram
01-23-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm just glad I had my Elder status updated immediately following my Raising. Both here and on the main board. :D

Although it would be cool to see Ancient under my name... :p

Isabel
01-23-2015, 10:35 PM
I think it kindof depends on how lazy our dictator feels:)

Zombie Sammael
01-24-2015, 03:03 AM
*er-hem*

I'm still here, you know.

I think Daekyras should be raised. I don't think the same of me. Though 'well-hung' would need to be verified first.

I'm still here* too, and if they promote you then they definitely have to promote me, which from one point of view would be even worse. I mean, which of us more likely to go mad from the power, do you think?

*Okay, lurking. I lurk. That counts as presence, right? Although I prefer to think of myself as looming rather than lurking.

Terez
01-24-2015, 04:47 AM
Heck, I was supposed to have been raised to Ancient back in Dec of 2011 and have still been sitting in Elder Limbo ever since.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6357&highlight=member+raising
You have to bug the powers that be. If you don't bug them, they assume you don't care and if you don't care then perhaps you shouldn't have been raised to begin with. To get to Ancient one has to take this site pretty seriously. That's why some people disappear as soon as they're raised Ancient; it's like a wake-up call.

Kimon
01-24-2015, 09:00 AM
You have to bug the powers that be. If you don't bug them, they assume you don't care and if you don't care then perhaps you shouldn't have been raised to begin with. To get to Ancient one has to take this site pretty seriously. That's why some people disappear as soon as they're raised Ancient; it's like a wake-up call.

So being polite and patient kept me from being raised? Seems like kind of a moot point in any case, as at this point if Tam actually ever did raisings again I'd be insulted if I wasn't double-promoted.

Nazbaque
01-24-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm still here* too, and if they promote you then they definitely have to promote me, which from one point of view would be even worse. I mean, which of us more likely to go mad from the power, do you think?

*Okay, lurking. I lurk. That counts as presence, right? Although I prefer to think of myself as looming rather than lurking.

Ah well I'm proof enough that we don't get enough power to go mad with or at least do much harm.

GonzoTheGreat
01-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Ah well I'm proof enough that we don't get enough power to go mad with or at least do much harm.
You're just not good enough at it. Some others have gone way beyond anything you've done, when they had the full power of a Hero of the Horn.

ShadowbaneX
01-24-2015, 12:14 PM
So being polite and patient kept me from being raised? Seems like kind of a moot point in any case, as at this point if Tam actually ever did raisings again I'd be insulted if I wasn't double-promoted.

I was never an Elder. I went right from Youngling to Ancient.

Nazbaque
01-24-2015, 02:22 PM
You're just not good enough at it. Some others have gone way beyond anything you've done, when they had the full power of a Hero of the Horn.

Which is why we don't get that power anymore and I'm proof that we shouldn't

Davian93
01-24-2015, 04:08 PM
I was never an Elder. I went right from Youngling to Ancient.

LOL...I was never a Youngling. I went from no rank to Elder...a few of us did that actually. Yks did I believe. There was a glitch at the time we all signed up so we didnt have titles of any sort.

It is definitely time for a raising.

Terez
01-24-2015, 08:14 PM
So being polite and patient kept me from being raised?
This site is not known for polite and patient people.

Khoram
01-24-2015, 08:31 PM
This site is not known for polite and patient people.

That's because you don't hear from the polite and patient people. ;)

Terez
01-25-2015, 01:10 AM
We hear from them; they just tend to drift away over time.

Nazbaque
01-25-2015, 04:49 AM
We hear from them; they just tend to drift away over time.

Which just shows how patient they really were.

Sarevok
01-25-2015, 01:14 PM
*goes poke the boss*

Brita
01-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Ah raisings*- the bane of a theorylander's existence.

(* my phone corrected this to raisins and I was very tempted to keep it)

Davian93
01-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Ah raisings*- the bane of a theorylander's existence.

(* my phone corrected this to raisins and I was very tempted to keep it)

Either way works...:)

Khoram
01-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Either way works...:)

Yeah. The raisings nowadays are as shriveled as raisins. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, so is the active membership.

Terez
01-25-2015, 09:24 PM
Which just shows how patient they really were.
Have you been going back and deleting a lot of your posts? Because your post count seems very oddly low. You have been around for a long time and you have always been active.

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 02:18 AM
Have you been going back and deleting a lot of your posts? Because your post count seems very oddly low. You have been around for a long time and you have always been active.

I post about once a day on average. Sometimes I get into a debate, sometimes there isn't an interesting discussion to take part in and quite often I don't really have an opinion to voice even though the subject is interesting. By nature and habit I'm actually more of a listener. I spend a lot of time thinking, but mostly the subject is personal or it just doesn't get into a neat enough shape to start a thread about or it's a personal sort of epiphany where I reach a new level of understanding but it's the kind everyone would agree on once they thought about it and even for me it was just idle organising of thought rather than boldly thinking what no man has thought before.

I haven't been much on WoT discussions as I've been waiting for the right mood to do a complete start to finish reread. My attention has really been more on the anime/manga side than books for the past few years and alas it doesn't look like people here share that interest which is a shame because most online discussions I've run across are on the level of youtube comments. I guess for a lot of people the 'cartoons and comics are for kids' mentality holds strong, which is perfectly understandble but also ironic because there is a lot of really hardcore stuff in there.

Khoram
01-26-2015, 08:53 AM
I had to read my fair share of manga/watch my fair share of anime when I was taking my Japanese Pop Culture class last year, Naz. Also spent a lot of time watching film as opposed to anime.

I never got into the hardcore stuff - we didn't even really talk that much about it in class. It was mostly spent learning about the history of the various art forms in Japan, looking at how they have evolved over time.

It really was quite interesting. And having to go back and watch anime/read manga did in fact bring me back a little to my childhood, which isn't a bad thing. I just also gained a greater appreciation for what I was reading/viewing.

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 09:31 AM
I had to read my fair share of manga/watch my fair share of anime when I was taking my Japanese Pop Culture class last year, Naz. Also spent a lot of time watching film as opposed to anime.

I never got into the hardcore stuff - we didn't even really talk that much about it in class. It was mostly spent learning about the history of the various art forms in Japan, looking at how they have evolved over time.

It really was quite interesting. And having to go back and watch anime/read manga did in fact bring me back a little to my childhood, which isn't a bad thing. I just also gained a greater appreciation for what I was reading/viewing.

So which anime/manga did you watch/read?

Khoram
01-26-2015, 10:10 AM
So which anime/manga did you watch/read?

I spent a lot of time with Battle Royale (watched the live-action movie as well asread the anime).

I also read History's Strongest Disciple, Kenichi, Yuuhi Yo Nobore, Sekirei, Bamboo Blade, Evangelion and Dragonball. These I used for a paper looking at the evolution of martial arts in manga. Someof itwas just weird,though. I focused on the 80s to today. I got an A on the paper, so I looked at enough. Or maybe my writing style is what got me the A. ;)

I dabbled in other stuff we had discussed in class, like Maken-Ki, and read sports manga, like Cross Over and Eyeshield 21.

I also really liked SAO.

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 11:50 AM
The variety probably counted for something too. Ranma 1/2 would have fit in quite well as 80's/90's martial arts parody. Any reason why Bleach and Naruto weren't on the list? Just too long?

And then of course there is Fist of the North Star (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8qGMxECsKs)

Kenichi has been on my list for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. As far as Dragonball goes I only watched DBZ when it was airing in Finland back in the analog times. Been thinking I should start that from the beginning, but DBZ felt so repetitive that I keep putting it off. Evangelion you of course have to know about, but that one just felt screwed up towards the end in spite of a really good start. I liked Bamboo Blade but haven't read the manga yet. Sekirei manga I have read and it's at least better than average but how the ending turns out is going to mean a lot.

SAO started awesome then it wasn't quite that good and now it's pretty good again. Was Shingeki no Kyojin too gory for the class?

Oh and did you watch the anime with Japanese audio?

Ivhon
01-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Pretty sure I went from Elder to Hero skipping Ancient.

Prodigal son...

Khoram
01-26-2015, 12:56 PM
The variety probably counted for something too. Ranma 1/2 would have fit in quite well as 80's/90's martial arts parody. Any reason why Bleach and Naruto weren't on the list? Just too long?

And then of course there is Fist of the North Star (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8qGMxECsKs)

Kenichi has been on my list for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. As far as Dragonball goes I only watched DBZ when it was airing in Finland back in the analog times. Been thinking I should start that from the beginning, but DBZ felt so repetitive that I keep putting it off. Evangelion you of course have to know about, but that one just felt screwed up towards the end in spite of a really good start. I liked Bamboo Blade but haven't read the manga yet. Sekirei manga I have read and it's at least better than average but how the ending turns out is going to mean a lot.

SAO started awesome then it wasn't quite that good and now it's pretty good again. Was Shingeki no Kyojin too gory for the class?

Oh and did you watch the anime with Japanese audio?

I had started reading Bleach and Naruto years ago, but when it came down to writing, yes, they were too long. As it stands, Kenichi was also long. Shingeki no Kyojin was another one that we talked about a lot in class; it was very popular. It never really interested me, though. Maybe I'll take a look at it later on.

The manga and the anime for Bamboo Blade isn't really any different, although the manga is, of course, further along. And I used to watch Dragonball and DBZ when I was younger; loved both of them. They ARE really long, though.

I generally prefer the English dubbing to having to watch in Japanese with English subbing - I prefer not having to concentrate on reading while I'm trying to watch the show. Sometimes it does help, like when I was writing papers; I would use the mangas, and if they got a little long, I would go to the anime to get through it more quickly. ;)

I was thinking of using Fist of the North Star, but ultimately I had more than enough sources already, so I decided against it.

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 01:19 PM
You get used to sort of glancing at the subs while watching. I grew up like that as Finns didn't do much dubbing for TV. But the real joy is in the voice actors. Now some Americans are really respectable in this field, but Japanese are masters. Somehow they just seem to take their work more seriously. And they have WAY better opening and ending themes.

Kimon
01-26-2015, 04:20 PM

I still occasionally watch anime too. Ranma, Akira, and Kimagure Orange Road were the first stuff I watched. Unfortunately it seems like the quality in storytelling has declined. There were always a lot of stupid shows, but it seemed like a decade ago there was a much better ratio of good to crap. This most recent season the only thing that was interesting enough for me to watch all the way through (on hulu) was the newest Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works). Everything else just seemed really formulaic and/or boring.

Didn't care for either Naruto or Bleach, or DBZ, though those are certainly anime that even casual American anime fans would be likely to be familiar with because of Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network.

Have you ever watched Haruhi or Monogatari? Those were both pretty good - well except when Haruhi actually decided to re-show the Endless 8 episode 8 times...

Khoram
01-26-2015, 05:02 PM
well except when Haruhi actually decided to re-show the Endless 8 episode 8 times...

The irony of ironies. :rolleyes:

You get used to sort of glancing at the subs while watching. I grew up like that as Finns didn't do much dubbing for TV. But the real joy is in the voice actors. Now some Americans are really respectable in this field, but Japanese are masters. Somehow they just seem to take their work more seriously. And they have WAY better opening and ending themes.

The Japanese really do take their work seriously, though. They expect you to fall asleep at work - if you don't, you're not considered to be working hard enough.

Kimon
01-26-2015, 06:16 PM
The irony of ironies. :rolleyes:

That particular episode, had it been done correctly, could have been quite cool. It was essentially like Bill Murray's Groundhog Day, except no one but Nagato (since she's alien ai) and just vaguely Kyon (because he's the only cool anime leading man probably ever) recognized that they were reliving the last two weeks of August for a few thousand years because Haruhi (the god who didn't realize she is a god) didn't want summer vacation to end (or because Kyon hadn't finished his summer homework, slightly unclear...).

The episode should have been one week done like normal. One repeat, with Kyon just beginning to notice. Then Kyon figuring out how to end the loop. Not eight fricking times. Trolling your own fans is usually not a good idea, and what had been a really good chapter-long story in the light novel, became an 8-episode albatross that nearly killed an otherwise great franchise.

Khoram
01-26-2015, 06:20 PM
That idea of repeating the episode each week with only slight differences is really cool.

Kimon
01-26-2015, 06:28 PM
That idea of repeating the episode each week with only slight differences is really cool.

Not for eight straight weeks. They might have gotten away with 4, but eight weeks and you've not only lost your audience, you've royally pissed them off. The film still did quite well, and they likely would have finally made the third season - they still have more light novel material to mine, but Haruhi unfortunately had another problem. As Naz pointed out, in Japan voice actresses actually matter rather than as here, where it's just work for washed up actors (like Mark Hamill) or Disney stuff (pretty much the only stuff here that can afford to pay enough to draw real names). Haruhi's voice actress unfortunately was a vapid troll that managed to piss off the industry and her erstwhile fans, and unfortunately, the idea of continuing w/o her is still a problem even if she is universally viewed as an annoying twat.

Khoram
01-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Not for eight straight weeks. They might have gotten away with 4, but eight weeks and you've not only lost your audience, you've royally pissed them off. The film still did quite well, and they likely would have finally made the third season - they still have more light novel material to mine, but Haruhi unfortunately had another problem. As Naz pointed out, in Japan voice actresses actually matter rather than as here, where it's just work for washed up actors (like Mark Hamill) or Disney stuff (pretty much the only stuff here that can afford to pay enough to draw real names). Haruhi's voice actress unfortunately was a vapid troll that managed to piss off the industry and her erstwhile fans, and unfortunately, the idea of continuing w/o her is still a problem even if she is universally viewed as an annoying twat.

Yeah, but the idea itself is still pretty cool. Not necessarily for 8 weeks, but showing the same episode a few weeks in a row would have been pretty cool.

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 07:28 PM
I still occasionally watch anime too. Ranma, Akira, and Kimagure Orange Road were the first stuff I watched. Unfortunately it seems like the quality in storytelling has declined. There were always a lot of stupid shows, but it seemed like a decade ago there was a much better ratio of good to crap. This most recent season the only thing that was interesting enough for me to watch all the way through (on hulu) was the newest Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works). Everything else just seemed really formulaic and/or boring.

You didn't like/watch SAO II? Not saying you had to, but it would be telling of your taste. Seems like you'd get more out of Seinen, though you should watch out for ecchi if that isn't your thing.

Didn't care for either Naruto or Bleach, or DBZ, though those are certainly anime that even casual American anime fans would be likely to be familiar with because of Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network.

Naruto sort of grows on you. It has its good points, but if you make it to the end of the chunin arc and still hate it, it's a pretty legit hate. For me it's more about the characters and fanfiction than the original story.

The anime of Bleach is very definitely among those where the English cast isn't worthy enough to lick the boots of the Japanese cast. Otherwise it's pretty much a matter of taste. The story up to the time skip is fairly solid, but after that the author went crazy with character creation. I'm seeing it to the end but unless it gets really epic I'm going to ignore that part's very existance.

Have you ever watched Haruhi or Monogatari? Those were both pretty good - well except when Haruhi actually decided to re-show the Endless 8 episode 8 times...

As a matter of fact I just finished Bakemonogatari. The atmosphere felt really similar to Death Note. And some day I'm going to finish that one too, I just keep getting really depressed around the halfway point and the next time I get in the mood to pick it up I can't remember what happened.

I watched the first three episodes of Haruhi a while back and decided I wasn't in the right mood for it. Some day I might finish that too.

The Japanese really do take their work seriously, though. They expect you to fall asleep at work - if you don't, you're not considered to be working hard enough.

And that would be one of the downsides of that mentality. In a lot of ways they put the bar too high. But then in a lot of ways Americans and Europeans put the bar too low and we get crap out of it.

The Unreasoner
01-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I think most anime is not good enough to justify being a fan of the genre as a whole. Though I watched (and loved) DBZ as a kid, tedious though it was. And I love Teamfourstar's take on it (they're in the Cell saga now). And of course Cowboy Bebop was awesome.

I think it's time we blow this scene,
get everybody and the stuff together.
Okay: 3, 2, 1, let's jam.

Kimon
01-26-2015, 08:41 PM
You didn't like/watch SAO II? Not saying you had to, but it would be telling of your taste. Seems like you'd get more out of Seinen, though you should watch out for ecchi if that isn't your thing.

I've watched a bit of SAO. Liked the first season, but once it turned into the gun arc I got too bored to keep watching. The distinction of seinen (vs shonen?) might be too technical for me to really be familiar with. Is shonen the kid (well middle school boy as target audience?) stuff like DBZ, Bleach, Macross and other silly mecha type stuff (the only good mecha shows that I've seen were Escaflowne and Evangelion, most of the others seem completely unwatchable dreck)? If so, yeah, not really my cup of tea. The ecchi stuff also strikes me as usually pretty lame. Occasionally that stuff might still be entertaining, like Ranma (not even sure if that should be considered ecchi, if so was pretty tame), but usually it just seems like steam-covered boobs in place of any attempt at a plot.

As for the Naruto and Bleach type shows, yeah, I rarely find the action-based shows entertaining, especially the ones that go on forever rather than having a more concise story. The only truly long-run shows that I can think of that I liked were Ranma and Inyasha, but those were often more comedy and romance driven rather than just pointless action and aimless plot, like Naruto or Bleach. I liked Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo in that genre, likewise Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, and Shikabane Hime, but those all told concise stories.

Maybe you're right on that seinen assessment...

ShadowbaneX
01-26-2015, 08:45 PM
I watched Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z when I was younger. I saw watch, but really it was watch 3 times as you saw it first on the "next time" then you got to watch it for the actual episode, then you got to see it for a 3rd time on the "last time".

The one anime I really watched and liked was Gunslinger Girl. My friends have recently recommended Fate/Stay Night, but I'm having trouble tracking down a copy.

Kimon
01-26-2015, 08:47 PM
My friends have recently recommended Fate/Stay Night, but I'm having trouble tracking down a copy.

Free on hulu.

Khoram
01-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Free on hulu.

We don't get Hulu up here. :/

I've been waiting for the English dubbing for SAO II; haven't watched any of II yet. I'm hoping to watch it soon. Maybe I'll have to go through the first season again to catch up.

Dare I say that I still enjoy watching the original Pokemon for the nostalgia? :D And Digimon. :p

ShadowbaneX
01-26-2015, 09:37 PM

I've been waiting for the English dubbing for SAO II; haven't watched any of II yet. I'm hoping to watch it soon. Maybe I'll have to go through the first season again to catch up.

Dare I say that I still enjoy watching the original Pokemon for the nostalgia? :D And Digimon. :p

What he said.

As for SAO my friends have mentioned loving the abridged version of that...actually most of the abridged versions including DBZ, (Van?) Helsing and others. They do say they're utterly horrible though. Funny. But utterly horrible.

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Well ecchi comes in different forms. There is the blatant fan service type like Maken-ki which might or might not be saved by the humor. There is the kind where the sexual stuff is relevant to the plot either as a part of growing up and changing or it's the core of what is being parodised. And finally there are shows like Ranma which simply don't deny that sex is a part of life and romance. Average breast size of female characters is a good way to determine if a show is going to be in the first category. Less plot = more boobs. The parodies usually declare themselves in the title.

Seinen is mostly about the story's mental side. If the show is just plain gory it's classified as horror and the sexual stuff is ecchi. Mostly either of the two is also seinen. Technically 'seinen' means that (young) adult men are the target audience, but in truth it's pretty gender neutral and only when the target audience is specifically adult women it's considered 'josei'.

Shonen and shoujo are the kid/teen stuff for boys and girls respectively. Shoujo holds pretty strongly to the youthful idealism, but shonen seems to be drifting closer to seinen as time passes.

Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 version is a good example of borderline seinen and the Brotherhood one is definitely across the line. Personally I liked Brotherhood more, but 2003 is also worth watching. Incidentally one of the few English casts I approve of.

If you want to give mecha another chance try Full Metal Panic. Epic soundtrack.

And if you want a more light hearted comedy type of show I can't recommend Working!! enough.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Black Lagoon.

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 10:23 PM

How about kissanime? That's where I watch mine.

Khoram
01-26-2015, 11:56 PM
How about kissanime? That's where I watch mine.

I go to watchcartoononline. It has the majority of what I watch (although I had stopped in the past year). It hasn't led me astray yet. And the dubbings are the official ones, I'm pretty sure.

Daekyras
01-27-2015, 04:40 AM
I loved some really bad anime as a kid. Had vhs copies of crying freeman and guyver. I thought they were awesome.

then as an older, more mature person I hunted them down and watched them again and they were terrible. I even had thw live action version of guyver. Fun fact, guyver was played by David Hayter, the voice actor for solid snake in metal gear solid.

Tamyrlin
01-28-2015, 11:09 AM
I thought I passed that responsibility on, hmm. I'll be right back. I'm sure I dropped the ball...

GonzoTheGreat
01-28-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm sure I dropped the ball...
Yeah, but the thing keeps bouncing up again. Perhaps you could use another material for your ball?
Granite doesn't bounce much, usually ...

Khoram
01-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but the thing keeps bouncing up again. Perhaps you could use another material for your ball?
Granite doesn't bounce much, usually ...

Depends how high you drop it from, no? :p

GonzoTheGreat
01-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Depends how high you drop it from, no? :p
And who you drop it on, I would guess.

Khoram
01-28-2015, 12:06 PM
And who you drop it on, I would guess.

Or what. And how big the ball of granite is.

GonzoTheGreat
01-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Yeah, but if it is very big, then picking it up to drop it would be a lot of work, and I'm sure that at that point (or before it, even) Tam would have decided on his own to get another ball.

Seeing as how he has repeatedly dropped it, I am sure that there is a not too high upper limit to its weight.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-30-2015, 01:48 AM
LOL...I was never a Youngling. I went from no rank to Elder...a few of us did that actually. Yks did I believe. There was a glitch at the time we all signed up so we didnt have titles of any sort.

It is definitely time for a raising.

Wasn't it... that we were Raised to Elders, then something went wrong (hamsters, probably) and then some of us were title-less until promotion to Ancient. At which point I promptly disappeared for 2 or 3 years thus proving T right.

I think Cor Shan was also one without title... there must have been more, but I can't remember now. so long ago, lost in the mist of time. er...8 years or thereabouts

Nazbaque
01-30-2015, 02:18 AM
Wasn't it... that we were Raised to Elders, then something went wrong (hamsters, probably) and then some of us were title-less until promotion to Ancient. At which point I promptly disappeared for 2 or 3 years thus proving T right.

I think Cor Shan was also one without title... there must have been more, but I can't remember now. so long ago, lost in the mist of time. er...8 years or thereabouts

Ages come and pass leaving memories that become legend.

GonzoTheGreat
01-30-2015, 03:29 AM
And legend fades to myth, which itself is long forgotten when Terez digs up some rather embarrassing old thread to which she happened to have a link handy.

Daekyras
01-31-2015, 08:36 PM
I thought I passed that responsibility on, hmm. I'll be right back. I'm sure I dropped the ball...

Oh gracious leader, pass not on your responsibilities to the mere mortals whom dwell on this board.

Only you, the mightiest of our kind, may raise one such as I to the status of "well hung peace maker", a most fitting title for one such as I.

When all others had let your memory fade I still held true to your name. I, your most loyal and trustworthy follower, surely deserve such a reward....

p.s. good to see you back boss.

Nazbaque
02-01-2015, 01:24 AM
Tam, give me the raising power so I can turn Daek into "well hanged ass kisser"

Khoram
02-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Tam, give me the raising power so I can turn Daek into "well hanged ass kisser"

If Tam were to give you the power, Naz, there's no telling what you might do with it. :rolleyes:

Although whatever you DO end up doing will most likely be more punctual. ;)

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 02:06 PM
If Tam were to give you the power, Naz, there's no telling what you might do with it. :rolleyes:

Although whatever you DO end up doing will most likely be more punctual. ;)

Should I take that as a challenge?

Khoram
02-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Should I take that as a challenge?

The question isn't SHOULD, but CAN.

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Of course I can take that as a challenge! It's a very tough challenge as I would have to get Tam to grant me that power which in itself is a two fold challenge as I first have to convince him that he should do so and then drag him off his lazy butt and see that he actually does it. Then I still have to face the challenge of out doing his laziness, which would be at least three times as hard as the first two parts put together. Nevertheless I can take this challenge upon myself. But should I do so?

Khoram
02-02-2015, 04:49 PM
It's up to you to determine whether you should. And then you can decide whether or not you will.

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 05:00 PM
The decision is up to me yes, but anyone can have an opinion on what I should do. You know like Southpaw and Obama. Southpaw can decide what to do about his life but whatever it is Obama would probably think he is an idiot.

Khoram
02-02-2015, 07:16 PM
THAT just came from left field. :confused:

Daekyras
02-02-2015, 07:42 PM
THAT just came from left field. :confused:

No, if it had come from left field it would have been more dub and reggae influenced.

now, that might just be the most obscure reference ive ever posted on any forum!

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Man it feels good to mess with people's heads after so long.

The Unreasoner
02-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Man it feels good to mess with people's heads after so long.

lol...
*rolls eyes*

GonzoTheGreat
02-03-2015, 03:15 AM
Of course I can take that as a challenge! It's a very tough challenge as I would have to get Tam to grant me that power which in itself is a two fold challenge as I first have to convince him that he should do so and then drag him off his lazy butt and see that he actually does it. Then I still have to face the challenge of out doing his laziness, which would be at least three times as hard as the first two parts put together. Nevertheless I can take this challenge upon myself. But should I do so?
I think you are already doing it.
After all, you are just too lazy to get Tam to do anything. Now, that is not proof that you've succeeded in outlazying Tam, so you have failed to meet the challenge so far, but you do seem to be trying.

Khoram
02-03-2015, 08:11 AM
But the fact that he IS trying means that he isn't lazy. Thus, challenge failed.

The Unreasoner
02-03-2015, 01:58 PM
But the fact that he IS trying means that he isn't lazy. Thus, challenge failed.

Empires don't suffer a lack of purpose at their conception. And that could apply to either Tam or Naz.

Figbiscuit
02-16-2015, 08:42 AM
I want to ask if I can get promoted too, but then the asking of I feel takes something away from the thrill of being chosen to be raised, but then as raisings don't happen much anymore I could be waiting a long time for the thrill.

I know I'm not here consistently but I have been here a long time, and I always come back...*smiles sweetly*

Remember when there was a locked board that as a Youngling you couldn't see, and then when you got raised to Elder you got the password and discovered nothing much ever happened there? :confused:

Sarevok
02-17-2015, 01:46 AM
Remember when there was a locked board that as a Youngling you couldn't see, and then when you got raised to Elder you got the password and discovered nothing much ever happened there? :confused:

That was the Theoryland Scholars board. Since it was pretty much dead anyway, I don't believe it was carried over from Yuku to the new board.

Terez
02-17-2015, 03:41 AM
I believe one was created because it was still a Thing in 2006 when we first moved here. It must have been made invisible rather than archived.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-18-2015, 03:11 PM
I loved the scholars board. I tried a few times to get some conversations going, but people tended to get lazy between books. And I don't think everyone re-reads as much as I do. And I cannot even compare my re-reads to Terez.

Figbiscuit
02-19-2015, 04:51 AM
It's funny, since I joined up here I found I re-read less and less. It used to be at least once a year, but the conversation here kind of made me not need it as much I think. I am fully expecting to do the whole series in the future but I haven't had a complete re-read since at least the last three books came out I think, although I think I may have read the last few once more before ToM.

Daekyras
02-19-2015, 12:55 PM
It's funny, since I joined up here I found I re-read less and less. It used to be at least once a year, but the conversation here kind of made me not need it as much I think. I am fully expecting to do the whole series in the future but I haven't had a complete re-read since at least the last three books came out I think, although I think I may have read the last few once more before ToM.

I was the exact same fig, I had to force my re-reads for all the brandon books. I put it down to getting older and also the excellent resources here. And T and Callandor etc.

GonzoTheGreat
02-20-2015, 03:45 AM
And I don't think everyone re-reads as much as I do. And I cannot even compare my re-reads to Terez.
Two possibilities:
1. Mentioning Terez here was totally unnecessary.
2. Terez is everyone. In which case you could have used either one of the sentences, and didn't need to say it twice.

Daekyras
02-20-2015, 04:09 AM
Two possibilities:
1. Mentioning Terez here was totally unnecessary.
2. Terez is everyone. In which case you could have used either one of the sentences, and didn't need to say it twice.

1. Compliments are never necessary. Just welcome.
2. Are you saying you're Terez? In which case- I called it. Wooooooh, I knew it! (Ok, I didnt)

Terez
02-20-2015, 05:21 AM
1. Compliments are never necessary. Just welcome.
2. Are you saying you're Terez? In which case- I called it. Wooooooh, I knew it! (Ok, I didnt)
There is a picture somewhere of myself with Gonzo (in Amsterdam). I believe it is on my Facebook.

GonzoTheGreat
02-20-2015, 08:35 AM
There is a picture somewhere of myself with Gonzo (in Amsterdam). I believe it is on my Facebook.
So?
If you are everyone, then you must be able to time travel, so as to produce the appearance of there being more than one person at a time. Thus, such a picture proves nothing, one way or another.

Edited to add:
If you are everyone, then you would also be Tamyrlin. In which case you (ie. everyone) would already have the ultimate rank, which means that this thread is superfluous. So this specific speculation is actually very relevant to the official topic of discussion.

Daekyras
02-23-2015, 05:06 AM
So?
If you are everyone, then you must be able to time travel, so as to produce the appearance of there being more than one person at a time. Thus, such a picture proves nothing, one way or another.

Edited to add:
If you are everyone, then you would also be Tamyrlin. In which case you (ie. everyone) would already have the ultimate rank, which means that this thread is superfluous. So this specific speculation is actually very relevant to the official topic of discussion.

My head hurts. :)

GonzoTheGreat
02-23-2015, 07:36 AM
My head hurts. :)
Timey wimey things can be a bit confusing until you get used to them, I admit.

Nazbaque
02-23-2015, 09:25 AM
This brings to mind the idea I had some time ago about serial reincarnation. One of the core beliefs of Hinduism is that everyone keeps reincarnating. Now what if you don't reincarnate after your death but before it? Suppose there is just one soul that keeps going through lives in order of birth so that you have already been everyone older than you and everyone younger than you has already been you. Everything that has been done to you, both good and bad, was in a sense self inflicted. Karma is automatically a part of the system.

GonzoTheGreat
02-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Nah, that's just not me.

Nazbaque
02-23-2015, 09:43 AM
How old are you gonzo? Just want to know which of us has already been the other.

GonzoTheGreat
02-23-2015, 11:02 AM
How old are you gonzo? Just want to know which of us has already been the other.
I don't see how my age (or yours, if you have one) has anything at all to do with that.

Nazbaque
02-23-2015, 11:25 AM
I don't see how my age (or yours, if you have one) has anything at all to do with that.

It's more fun if it happens in the order of birth. Now come on which of us has already lived the other's life?

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-23-2015, 12:26 PM
There is a pic somewhere (I think) of T and I in the same room with TL crew at JordanCon.

Terez
02-23-2015, 04:01 PM
If not we can make a new one this year.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-24-2015, 04:30 AM
:)

Daekyras
03-12-2015, 05:19 AM
Despite the clear love for me on these boards and the overwhelming support for my re-ranking as "Well Hung Peacemaker" I am still at the level of "Elder".

This is OK of course, but I felt that many of you would appreciate the update on my status... :p

Zombie Sammael
03-12-2015, 09:36 PM
So?

Edited to add:

Are you saying Terez is a Timelord?

GonzoTheGreat
03-13-2015, 03:39 AM
Are you saying Terez is a Timelord?
If it is true that Terez is everyone, then there are no others. Of course, it would mean that she is also Sarah Palin, which she may not really be willing to admit to.

Terez
03-13-2015, 04:04 AM
I can see Russia from my house.

Daekyras
03-13-2015, 05:18 AM

So can a lot of people in Moldova in the last few months...

GonzoTheGreat
03-13-2015, 06:11 AM
In Russia, Russia can see you.

Anaiya Sedai
03-15-2015, 02:47 AM
Ahh, raisings. I remember being stuck as youngling for a couple of years, if memory serves well.. Then again as Elder, and then suddenly Tam actually did 2 raisings in close succession and remembered me for both of them.

I think facebook hurt TL more than the release of amol. If it wasn't for procrastination on fb I'd still be procrastinating here a lot more.

Daekyras
06-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Just cause i know that all of you have been wondering.

I still have not being raised but I believe a Greek exit could make all the difference.

Terez
06-29-2015, 10:14 AM
You're lucky you weren't demoted.

Kimon
06-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Was anyone else raised besides me? Albeit with the caveat that I was sort of raised a few years ago, and Tam apparently either forgot, or had a change of heart on the matter and decided to rescind my earlier raising to Ancient.

Terez
06-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Yeah, they just fixed your title to reflect the last raising.

Daekyras
06-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Was anyone else raised besides me? Albeit with the caveat that I was sort of raised a few years ago, and Tam apparently either forgot, or had a change of heart on the matter and decided to rescind my earlier raising to Ancient.

Congratulations *teeth grinding noises* I'm so happy for you *very loud grinding noises*

Kimon
06-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Congratulations *teeth grinding noises* I'm so happy for you *very loud grinding noises*

Maybe you should try to convince Tam to rerank you as Eldest Elder. Are you?

Daekyras
06-29-2015, 10:43 AM

I doubt I've been an elder for the longest. But I am not too far from 40 so maybe i am the oldest!

That's also probably more likely to happen than "well hung peace maker".

Kimon
06-29-2015, 10:46 AM
I doubt I've been an elder for the longest. But I am not too far from 40 so maybe i am the oldest!

That's also probably more likely to happen than "well hung peace maker".

I was thinking just of the still extant Elders. Has Unreasoner been around longer than you? There aren't many other Elders still around.

Terez
06-29-2015, 10:46 AM
He might resurrect Not Even A Youngling.

Daekyras
06-29-2015, 10:49 AM
He might resurrect Not Even A Youngling.

Awww, come on.

Terez
06-29-2015, 10:49 AM
You deserve it.

Daekyras
06-29-2015, 10:54 AM
You deserve it.

Not sure what I did to deserve it T but...Thanks? ?

Terez
06-29-2015, 10:56 AM
You're not very good at deception. Hence your problem.

Daekyras
06-29-2015, 10:59 AM
You're not very good at deception. Hence your problem.

Ah. I see. Thank you indeed.

Khoram
06-29-2015, 11:31 AM
I was thinking just of the still extant Elders. Has Unreasoner been around longer than you? There aren't many other Elders still around.

Pretty sure Daek's been around longer, but don't quote me on that. There may not be very many active Elders around anymore, but there are very few posters in general, unfortunately.

Terez
06-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Zombie is the Eldest Elder by a long shot. He joined before I did.

rand
06-29-2015, 12:32 PM
I've been an Elder for around 8 or 9 years now, for what it's worth.

Zombie Sammael
06-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Zombie is the Eldest Elder by a long shot. He joined before I did.

You're referring to the first time though. I mean, if we start counting Gnat then I'll never make Ancient. If anyone mentions Blaise then even Not Even A Youngling won't cover it.

Rand al'Fain
06-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Didn't even realize that I'm an "Elder" until I saw this thread and look at one of my posts.

Though I may be one of the youngest Elders here. I turn 26 on July 8.

Lupusdeusest
06-29-2015, 10:53 PM
Didn't even realize that I'm an "Elder" until I saw this thread and look at one of my posts.

Though I may be one of the youngest Elders here. I turn 26 on July 8.

Got you beat; I'm 26 in mid December.

Nazbaque
06-29-2015, 11:21 PM
Good grief our Elders are getting old. I was just a month short of 25 when I made Ancient.

rand
06-29-2015, 11:42 PM
I'll be 26 in March...of two years from now.

Khoram
06-30-2015, 07:36 AM
I've got all of you guys beat - I just turned 24 in April. :D

DahLliA
06-30-2015, 08:06 AM
I feel old :p

Daekyras
06-30-2015, 10:20 AM
I feel old :p

I feel like I should be shouting about getting off my lawn and stay away from my bins!

Davian93
06-30-2015, 11:26 AM
I've got all of you guys beat - I just turned 24 in April. :D

I was 22 when I was promoted to Elder.

Sadly, that was in 2004.

Rand al'Fain
06-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Got you beat; I'm 26 in mid December.

I stand corrected.
*looks over other posts*
Several times over.

Khoram
06-30-2015, 05:11 PM
I was 22 when I was promoted to Elder.

Sadly, that was in 2004.

The funny thing is that, when I was Raised back in 2011, I was only 20.

Do we know who the youngest person to be Raised to Elder is? Or Ancient or HotH?

Daekyras
06-30-2015, 05:57 PM

Do we know who the youngest person to be Raised to Elder is? Or Ancient or HotH?

20? Damn. Now I really do feel old!!!

Davian93
06-30-2015, 06:14 PM

Callandor was like 15 when he got promoted. The average age of the site used to be much younger back when it was dominated by college aged and many HS aged people.

rand
06-30-2015, 07:12 PM
I would've been 15 or 16 when I became an Elder. I think I got raised "normally" for that (after 6 months), but I just kind of lurked in college and didn't post much, so I got skipped over for every raising in the past 7 years or so.

Daekyras
06-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Callandor was like 15 when he got promoted. The average age of the site used to be much younger back when it was dominated by college aged and many HS aged people.

Callander was never 15. He sprang from the room fully formed and quoting long passages.

I always assumed everyone on the boards was older. Although, my track record on that is poor.

Isabel
06-30-2015, 10:39 PM
Callander was never 15. He sprang from the room fully formed and quoting long passages.

I always assumed everyone on the boards was older. Although, my track record on that is poor.

Nope, Theoryland started in 1998. I think the majority were teenagers and early 20's.

Daekyras
07-01-2015, 03:20 AM
Nope, Theoryland started in 1998. I think the majority were teenagers and early 20's.

Happy 2000th post!

Davian93
07-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Even when I joined in 2003, I was middle of the pack age wise as a 22 year old.

GonzoTheGreat
07-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Apparently, Elders these days are what they used to be.

Ozymandias
07-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Even when I joined in 2003, I was middle of the pack age wise as a 22 year old.

I joined in 2005 under a different account and was among the young'uns at 16

sleepinghour
07-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Are there any particular Theoryland perks attached to being a Hero or Ancient? Or do some people just want a promotion for the cool points and to mention their status as a pick-up line at the JordanCon bar?

fdsaf3
07-01-2015, 02:15 PM
I think Ancients have access to a database of quotes from the books. I could be wrong about that. Heroes are automatically "mod" level - if such a thing ever really applied here.

Khoram
07-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Are there any particular Theoryland perks attached to being a Hero or Ancient? Or do some people just want a promotion for the cool points and to mention their status as a pick-up line at the JordanCon bar?

Well, Tam confers with them when he does the Raisings. So they have that power.

But the cool points also play a factor, I'm sure. ;)

Nazbaque
07-01-2015, 02:42 PM
These days it's mostly that Ancients and Heroes have access to our secret section of the forums where we discuss the inner circle stuff. If Tam wants opinions on something to do with the site it happens there. If a discussion between members of those ranks gets out off hand it's sometimes taken there if it's too many for PM to be practical. Stuff like that. Oh and the World Domination Master Plans are there too.

sleepinghour
07-01-2015, 03:01 PM
But the cool points also play a factor, I'm sure. ;)

Well, that's only to be expected. I mean, who could resist the ensuing fame, power, and opportunity to impress fellow WoT fans with suave pick-up lines like, "I'm an official Theoryland Hero of the Horn. Death is no bar to my booty call" or "I'm a Hero: just blow and I'll come." Otherwise it's kind of hard to compete with the Mat cosplayers when it comes to picking up hot chicks at the JordanCon bar.

Ivhon
07-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Ok, everybody. I just noticed that Sleepinghour is asking what the perks to Ancient and Hero are. Moreover, he's asking on Non-Wot.

Personally, I find these questions to be getting a little bit uncomfortable. It's unfortunate that his...curiosity...is leading him into these waters. Much longer and he's going to be able to figure out the whole thing. Are we ready for that? Im not.

I guess the question is, what are we prepared to do about it? Who's going to step up and do what needs to be done, here?

Oh, shit....I think I just posted this on Non accidentally instead of the Hero board...

Khoram
07-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Ok, everybody. I just noticed that Sleepinghour is asking what the perks to Ancient and Hero are. Moreover, he's asking on Non-Wot.

Personally, I find these questions to be getting a little bit uncomfortable. It's unfortunate that his...curiosity...is leading him into these waters. Much longer and he's going to be able to figure out the whole thing. Are we ready for that? Im not.

I guess the question is, what are we prepared to do about it? Who's going to step up and do what needs to be done, here?

Oh, shit....I think I just posted this on Non accidentally instead of the Hero board...

Oops. :rolleyes:

Terez
07-01-2015, 03:41 PM
sleepinghour is a she. :p

sleepinghour
07-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Guys, I hate to tell you, but the horse has long left the barn. There has long been rumors about the secret "Theorylanders Gone Wild" NSFW forum ever since somebody leaked those photos of Tamyrlin. And I think most people were already aware Felix was a joint creation by the moderators and you only pretended to be confused by his posts. It was a clever marketing trick that really put Theoryland on the map as *the* place to visit for innovative theories of a caliber you simply won't find anywhere else.

Still, even I was surprised to learn Davian and Southpaw are actually the same person. Their mutual enmity seemed so real; you really did fool me there.

Nazbaque
07-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Guys, I hate to tell you, but the horse has long left the barn. There has long been rumors about the secret "Theorylanders Gone Wild" NSFW forum ever since somebody leaked those photos of Tamyrlin. And I think most people were already aware Felix was a joint creation by the moderators and you only pretended to be confused by his posts. It was a clever marketing trick that really put Theoryland on the map as *the* place to visit for innovative theories of a caliber you simply won't find anywhere else.
We put the domination in "world domination". Well Frenzy does and some of us help.
Still, even I was surprised to learn Davian and Southpaw are actually the same person. Their mutual enmity seemed so real; you really did fool me there.
It's more that Davian is several people and one of them is also Southpaw as well as Unreasoner.

Ivhon
07-01-2015, 05:22 PM
sleepinghour is a she. :p

My apologies. For whatever its worth in the short term.

DOH!! I did it again!

Daekyras
07-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Well, that's only to be expected. I mean, who could resist the ensuing fame, power, and opportunity to impress fellow WoT fans with suave pick-up lines like, "I'm an official Theoryland Hero of the Horn. Death is no bar to my booty call" or "I'm a Hero: just blow and I'll come." Otherwise it's kind of hard to compete with the Mat cosplayers when it comes to picking up hot chicks at the JordanCon bar.

I originally asked cause it was a slow day/week/forever on the boards but now that you mention it "well hung peace maker" might get some play in such a bar...

sleepinghour
07-01-2015, 06:28 PM
We put the domination in "world domination". Well Frenzy does and some of us help.

Yes, I've heard all about those cucumbers and the grilled cheese. And Tamyrlin's lederhosen in those leaked photos. And the fact that all forum titles show up somewhat differently when logged into the secret forum: "Hero of the Porn," "Paincient," "Elderberries." Not to make anybody paranoid, but perhaps it wasn't entirely wise to trust Weiramon to the extent that you did.

It's more that Davian is several people and one of them is also Southpaw as well as Unreasoner.

Well, that explains a lot.

Khoram
07-01-2015, 07:34 PM
This certainly explains the relationships of the older posters on the Main Board.

Davian93
07-01-2015, 08:02 PM
This certainly explains the relationships of the older posters on the Main Board.

To let a secret out of the bag, all the posters at the Ancient/Hero level are just one person. Its all just a big act.

Khoram
07-01-2015, 08:04 PM
To let a secret out of the bag, all the posters at the Ancient/Hero level are just one person. Its all just a big act.

So you're being bonded to Brita means... :eek:

fdsaf3
07-02-2015, 06:58 AM

It must take one hell of a drug cocktail to get into the Sinistrum character. I kid, I kid. Sini wasn't so bad.

On a related note, I wonder which departed members (Ancients, Heroes, or whoever) have left the most memorable impression. Hm.

Davian93
07-02-2015, 07:11 AM
It must take one hell of a drug cocktail to get into the Sinistrum character. I kid, I kid. Sini wasn't so bad.

On a related note, I wonder which departed members (Ancients, Heroes, or whoever) have left the most memorable impression. Hm.

I really like Sini...I wish he'd come back and post regularly.

We didn't agree alot but he always made good arguments and argued intelligently.

I also miss Callandor, JWB, Dai Shan, JSUCamel, Therilon, Gilshalos, Bryan Blaire, and many many others that have come and gone since I've stuck around.

GonzoTheGreat
07-02-2015, 07:22 AM
We didn't agree alot but he always made good arguments and argued intelligently.
Alot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alot) or Alot (http://i.imgur.com/TRvsgh0.png)?

Khoram
07-02-2015, 08:27 AM
I really like Sini...I wish he'd come back and post regularly.

I also miss Callandor, JWB, Dai Shan, JSUCamel, Therilon, Gilshalos, Bryan Blaire, and many many others that have come and gone since I've stuck around.

The advantage of Zan not being around is that I don't have to worry about getting him lunch anymore. :rolleyes:

Daekyras
07-02-2015, 08:33 AM

Toss the dice was always great for a laugh.

Anaiya and rogue were frequent posters a few years ago that I always found interesting.

On a different note- when I re-joined in 09 there were a few other newbies that were prolific for a short period of time and then just disappeared. I'm thinking particularly of wolfram and dominominic. His poems were excellent.

Also, gonzo before he sold out and became all corporate...

GonzoTheGreat
07-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Also, gonzo before he sold out and became all corporate...
Maybe you should blame Sinistrum for not being here to keep me on the right (or left, whichever) track.

The Unreasoner
07-02-2015, 11:53 AM

ETA:
Which of course means the answer to the original question of the thread is no. I can hire actors for conventions, use bots to post scripted arguments on a scheduled basis, even retroactively make one poster who is several people several posters who is one...but I can't let you see that the hidden board is really just my grocery list and shitty Eragon fanfiction.

sleepinghour
07-02-2015, 12:35 PM

Well, Felix was quite memorable, and had his moments. It would have been nice to see Felix make one final appearance and explain whether there was any method to the madness, why he acted the way he did, and so on.

But the WoT fan I would most like to see resurface is Isam, whose parodies are legendary but don't include the last three books. As far as I know, he only ever posted at some Atari WoT forum which no longer exists, and left no traces of himself behind, which I suppose only adds to the mystery of his legend.

Zombie Sammael
07-02-2015, 08:38 PM
But the WoT fan I would most like to see resurface is Isam, whose parodies are legendary but don't include the last three books. As far as I know, he only ever posted at some Atari WoT forum which no longer exists, and left no traces of himself behind, which I suppose only adds to the mystery of his legend.

Did you ever hear the theory that Isam was in fact RJ himself, and that's why he stopped posting?

Lupusdeusest
07-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Well, Felix was quite memorable, and had his moments. It would have been nice to see Felix make one final appearance and explain whether there was any method to the madness, why he acted the way he did, and so on.

I joined TL after years of lurking because I wanted to respond to Felix. I miss him.

The Unreasoner
07-02-2015, 11:05 PM
I joined TL after years of lurking because I wanted to respond to Felix. I miss him.
We all do.

He sent a PM before he left...apparently some of my asshole alter-egos made further posting an untenable burden for him. But apparently he lives in state.

Felix, if you're reading this, Lafayette isn't too far from LA. And I know some bartenders in Santa Barbara...jussayin.

sleepinghour
07-03-2015, 06:59 AM
Did you ever hear the theory that Isam was in fact RJ himself, and that's why he stopped posting?

This is possibly going to sound creepy, but I tried to find out more about him once, and judging by his other posts, he lived in...I think it was L.A., but I don't remember now. He also wrote hilarious parody summaries of movies and seemed to be a funny guy in general, so I just wanted to find out if he had a blog or something I could follow. But since the Atari forum had already shut down at that point and disabled new member registration, I couldn't message him personally or see his user info.

(Look, I know what you're all thinking, but rest assured, I wasn't going to camp outside his house wearing a trenchcoat and binoculars, or leave a dead bunny in his mailbox. I just wanted to follow his blog, okay? And maybe check out his Facebook to see if he was good-looking, in which case I'd possibly send him an anonymous postcard sprayed with perfume and on which there were hearts around his name drawn with a sparkly pen. But that's *it*; nothing at all creepy or inappropriate.)

Daekyras
07-03-2015, 07:20 AM
This is possibly going to sound creepy, but I tried to find out more about him once, and judging by his other posts, he lived in...I think it was L.A., but I don't remember now. He also wrote hilarious parody summaries of movies and seemed to be a funny guy in general, so I just wanted to find out if he had a blog or something I could follow. But since the Atari forum had already shut down at that point and disabled new member registration, I couldn't message him personally or see his user info.

(Look, I know what you're all thinking, but rest assured, I wasn't going to camp outside his house wearing a trenchcoat and binoculars, or leave a dead bunny in his mailbox. I just wanted to follow his blog, okay? And maybe check out his Facebook to see if he was good-looking, in which case I'd possibly send him an anonymous postcard sprayed with perfume and on which there were hearts around his name drawn with a sparkly pen. But that's *it*; nothing at all creepy or inappropriate.)

I hear ya sister. I mean, one time, JUST one time you set off the fire alarms in a building so the guy you're after had to leave and you can sneak into his apartment to leave him homemade hair cookies and you get branded a "creepy weirdo". It's just not fair...

GonzoTheGreat
07-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Would a live bunny in the mailbox have been all right?
I'm not really fully up to date with the relevant Netiquette, to be honest.

sleepinghour
07-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Would a live bunny in the mailbox have been all right?
I'm not really fully up to date with the relevant Netiquette, to be honest.

Haven't you read 50 Shades of Gray? It is really quite simple to determine whether something is acceptable or not: As long as you're attractive and/or wealthy, it's okay. If you're neither of those things, it's creepy.

GonzoTheGreat
07-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Haven't you read 50 Shades of Gray?I haven't gotten around to that, somehow. Some time maybe, some day.

It is really quite simple to determine whether something is acceptable or not: As long as you're attractive and/or wealthy, it's okay. If you're neither of those things, it's creepy.Very clear and obvious morals, that.

Of course, some people may like creepy, if it's the right kind of creepy, so sometimes being rich can be a drag.

Nazbaque
07-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Haven't you read 50 Shades of Gray? It is really quite simple to determine whether something is acceptable or not: As long as you're attractive and/or wealthy, it's okay. If you're neither of those things, it's creepy.

Nah neither of those works. It only works if people are too scared of you to hold your creepiness against you. In order to be allowed to be creepy you have to be really creepy. Like being openly masochistic and showing how you enjoy the revolted looks they give you and thus making them feel dirty for doing something that gets you off and so the whole thing loops back and you become a covert sadist enjoying the discomfort they feel for your masochistic display.

Daekyras
07-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Nah neither of those works. It only works if people are too scared of you to hold your creepiness against you. In order to be allowed to be creepy you have to be really creepy. Like being openly masochistic and showing how you enjoy the revolted looks they give you and thus making them feel dirty for doing something that gets you off and so the whole thing loops back and you become a covert sadist enjoying the discomfort they feel for your masochistic display.

Things are always so much more affecting when they come from a place of experience.

Thanks naz. :)

Figbiscuit
07-06-2015, 09:22 AM

I came here to say I am still here. The thread seems to have derailed somewhat tho, since then...

DahLliA
07-06-2015, 11:49 AM
I came here to say I am still here. The thread seems to have derailed somewhat tho, since then...

What? A derailed thread at TL? You must be imagining thing :p

GonzoTheGreat
07-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Maybe threads did not derail when she became an Elder.

Khoram
07-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Maybe threads did not derail when she became an Elder.

They were probably never on the rails in the first place.

Daekyras
07-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Why would anyone think this thread has De - railed? ?

Lupusdeusest
07-06-2015, 10:04 PM

FOGGY!

*Figgy, but my phone wants to turn you into an avocado.

Khoram
07-07-2015, 12:56 AM
FOGGY!

Clearly your phone was describing her location.

Figbiscuit
07-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Clearly your phone was describing her location.

I am in an avocado?

FOGGY!

Hi Lupus :) *curtseys*

;)

Khoram
07-09-2015, 12:12 PM
I am in an avocado?

I was going for your being in England, but sure. :p

Daekyras
07-09-2015, 12:15 PM
I was going for your being in England, but sure. :p

How does foggy = avocado???

Khoram
07-09-2015, 12:30 PM
How does foggy = avocado???

Crazy Aussie slang? :confused:

Nazbaque
07-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Maybe it's the phone's safe word.

Daekyras
07-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Maybe it's the phone's safe word.

I knew getting you and mom that fifty shades of grey box set was a mistake this Christmas...

Lupusdeusest
07-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Daredevil...