PDA

View Full Version : Made me join

Morelikeunwisewoman
01-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Moiraine strode purposefully down the path. The bed in the inn were a comfortable and welcome change after months on the road. She had been delighted to hear Lan express a sigh as he lay down the previous night. Of course, even in this backwater hamlet, he slept with one eye open and a sword near. Insufferable man!

As welcome as the beds were she had work to do and, truthfully, Mistress Al'Vere's hospitality had begun to wear thin. There are only so many curtsies and bobbing of heads one woman can take!

In the road ahead she spied the Aybarra and Cauthon lads she had met yesterday. One as big as a young ogier and slow to talk, the other small and fast and quick of response. Either could be her boy, either could prove most troublesome.

The boys did not spot her as they were engrossed in the story a third boy was telling. He was hunkered over and whispering and hard to make out. When he stood up she had to suppress a most unladylike utterance.

"Fucking ginger" she thought inwardly, "can't even escape them here"

Hello.

I've been lurking around these parts for years and never really felt inclined to post. I'm not certain if this is the right spot but while looking through some random threads today I stumbled across this.

It, literally, made me spit my lunch out on the screen. I felt I simply had to re-post this here!

Not sure how to put there name in the quote but thank you Daekyras, you made my day.

GonzoTheGreat
01-26-2015, 05:31 AM
Welcome to the board. I'll try to demonstrate the "named quote" option by providing an example, first using square brackets (which provide an actual quote, so that you can see what is intended) and then using round brackets (also known as parentheses) to show what I did.

This is not a quote
(quote=whathwasthenameagain)This is not a quote(/quote)

Morelikeunwisewoman
01-26-2015, 05:36 AM
Welcome to the board. I'll try to demonstrate the "named quote" option by providing an example, first using square brackets (which provide an actual quote, so that you can see what is intended) and then using round brackets (also known as parentheses) to show what I did.

(quote=whathwasthenameagain)This is not a quote(/quote)

Thanx Gonzothegreat.

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 05:55 AM
I see you discovered the quote button (which also adds a link to the original post not just the name of the originator).

Welcome MLUWW!! Wait that sounds like M-luv which might be misleading but is definitely kinky. We should think of another nickname.

In any case you may call me Naz!!

Shortly someone should set me on fire and there shall be marshmellows!!

Morelikeunwisewoman
01-26-2015, 06:50 AM
I see you discovered the quote button (which also adds a link to the original post not just the name of the originator).

Welcome MLUWW!! Wait that sounds like M-luv which might be misleading but is definitely kinky. We should think of another nickname.

In any case you may call me Naz!!

Shortly someone should set me on fire and there shall be marshmellows!!

Hey Naz.

Not sure what that means but I like the sound of toasted marshmallows.

I didn't think of a shortened version of my name. Perhaps "Egwene" would be a fitting shortened version??

GonzoTheGreat
01-26-2015, 06:58 AM
I didn't think of a shortened version of my name. Perhaps "Egwene" would be a fitting shortened version??You? No!

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Hey Naz.

Not sure what that means but I like the sound of toasted marshmallows.

I didn't think of a shortened version of my name. Perhaps "Egwene" would be a fitting shortened version??

M as in S&M. Declaring oneself to be an M is definitely on the kinky side. Wait a minute... wanting to be called "Egwene" is practically the same thing!

Quick! Someone set me on fire before I burst into flame from sheer perversion.

Khoram
01-26-2015, 08:59 AM
PM as in S&M. Declaring oneself to be an M is definitely on the kinky side. Wait a minute... wanting to be called "Egwene" is practically the same thing!

Quick! Someone set me on fire before I burst into flame from sheer perversion.

*sets Naz on fire. Grabs marshmallows and branches*

Welcome to our fun little corner of the 'net, Unwise! Maybe Unwise works rather than M, Naz? :p

We haven't had a newbie thread in a long time. :D

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Indeed we haven't.

I'm not sure about Unwise. On the one hand that name would apply to practically anyone here so it might be confusing and on the other hand for that very reason she would fit right in.

And damn it! Now I can't roast marsmallows, my hands are full.

Morelikeunwisewoman
01-26-2015, 09:59 AM
P

*sets Naz on fire. Grabs marshmallows and branches*

Welcome to our fun little corner of the 'net, Unwise! Maybe Unwise works rather than M, Naz? :p

We haven't had a newbie thread in a long time. :D

hukka hukka, I didn't realise I had to type in the security code for every message. Just hit submit 6 times and wondered why it didn't load up!

I like Unwise, It kinda fits.

Not to look like a complete newb, but how many times have you guys read the books? Some of the threads I've looked through are really exposition heavy and feature huge quotes from the books (Callandor and Felix?). And you all seem to have a great knowledge of the books. I've read them all once!

Nazbaque
01-26-2015, 10:03 AM
10+ times TEOTW to KOD the last three twice each.

Khoram
01-26-2015, 10:29 AM
I've read them about three times each. Not nearly as many times as others on this board.

ShadowbaneX
01-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Not to look like a complete newb, but how many times have you guys read the books?

More than I'd care to admit.

Also, avoid anything Felix posted. They involve 1D4 SAN loss.

Davian93
01-26-2015, 06:52 PM
I've read Books 1-7 more times than I can remember...I've read the rest probably a half dozen all the way through.

Welcome to the Board!

The Unreasoner
01-26-2015, 08:37 PM
More than I'd care to admit.

Also, avoid anything Felix posted. They involve 1D4 SAN loss.

I think Felix was great. His posts were worth reading, worth thinking about. A great mental exercise to train certain aspects of the intellect. Even if they were somewhat divorced from the source material, there was enormous creative energy involved.

Callandor though...meh. A good researcher, and he crafted good arguments; but he was a bit of an ass and his pet theory was boring as hell.

Eta: welcome, Unwise. Do you mind giving us a rundown of your personal theories? Like who killed Asmo, was Sorilea a Darkfriend, was Verin a Darkfriend, what Taim's deal was. Anything you remember.

ShadowbaneX
01-26-2015, 08:40 PM
I think Felix was great. His posts were worth reading, worth thinking about. A great mental exercise to train certain aspects of the intellect. Even if they were somewhat divorced from the source material, there was enormous creative energy involved.

Callandor though...meh. A good researcher, and he crafted good arguments; but he was a bit of an ass and his pet theory was boring as hell.

Yes, I mentioned that. SAN loss. I'd open up a thread, read a post and then I'd feel that part of my brain was unraveling as I tried to understand what was being posted. I mean they were in english, and there seemed to be some rational to it, but it was utterly alien to my brain.

Eventually, I started to recognize that sensation in the early stages, looked up to see who posted it, saw Felix and then just closed the tab.

Callandor? He had his moments. Of them, calling the people not agreeing with you idiots was amongst his low points.

Morelikeunwisewoman
01-27-2015, 04:04 AM
Eta: welcome, Unwise. Do you mind giving us a rundown of your personal theories? Like who killed Asmo, was Sorilea a Darkfriend, was Verin a Darkfriend, what Taim's deal was. Anything you remember.

I had several theories that got scuppered over the series.

1. Siuan ordered the gentling of Thom's nephew(New spring stoppped that in its tracks!)

2. Berelain would kill faile(or faile would die) and Perrin would marry her. I had the idea that he would sneak into the enemy camp dressed as Gai'shan, hence the man in white...Better than what happened!

3. You mentioned Verin, I did think she was a DF. I had no idea she was a Double Agent though. I believed that she was secretly the head of the Black ajah(even above alviarin) and for a small while thought she might have been mesanna. I also was convinced she had ordered the Aiel attack on Aes sedai in caemlyn.

Daekyras
01-27-2015, 04:50 AM
Hello.

I've been lurking around these parts for years and never really felt inclined to post. I'm not certain if this is the right spot but while looking through some random threads today I stumbled across this.

It, literally, made me spit my lunch out on the screen. I felt I simply had to re-post this here!

Not sure how to put there name in the quote but thank you Daekyras, you made my day.

I dont even remember that. Was it in rands re-read?

You're welcome though. And welcome to theoryland.

who are your fav and least fav characters?

I'm gonna guess Lan and Egwene.

Morelikeunwisewoman
01-27-2015, 04:54 AM
I dont even remember that. Was it in rands re-read?

You're welcome though. And welcome to theoryland.

who are your fav and least fav characters?

I'm gonna guess Lan and Egwene.

Hukka hukka. Close.

I love Perrin.

I hate Elayne.

Sarevok
01-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Wow! A real life newbie thread! :D

Welcome to TL, Unwise! :)

Khoram
01-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Now all we need is a visit from the Mistress of Novices. What are the chances that Zae will pop up?

Terez
01-27-2015, 09:41 PM
She's probably buried in snow right about now.

ShadowbaneX
01-27-2015, 09:45 PM
She's probably buried in snow right about now.
All the more reason to be sitting at home on the computer checking up on stuff.

Khoram
01-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Unless she hasn't got any power. Then she has a problem. :rolleyes:

Terez
01-27-2015, 10:26 PM
She also has kids, so she might have spent the day building snowforts and the like. And either way she probably spent a good portion of the day shoveling.

DahLliA
01-28-2015, 03:39 AM
Welcome to TL!

Unwise Gamgee? :p

Morelikeunwisewoman
01-28-2015, 07:31 AM
Welcome to TL!

Unwise Gamgee? :p

wow! It took me nearly a min to figure out the reference:o

Cool avatar. How do I change mine?

GonzoTheGreat
01-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Cool avatar. How do I change mine?
First you have to be cool. Considering some of the people who allegedly managed that, doing this can't be hard.
Then you find an avatar you would want to use. I can't help you with that, so I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader.
Next you click on "User CP" which can be found near the top of your screen.
That sends you to a screen with lots of options. One of them is "Edit Your Details" and though that sounds promising, it is a red herring in this case. Then you may notice "Pictures & Albums", which is useless too. Finally you may spot "Edit Profile Picture". I'm not entirely sure, seeing as how I haven't done it myself on this board, but I suspect that it will enable you to do what you want.

PS I don't remember what the "CP" stands for in this case. It probably has some meaning, though.

Morelikeunwisewoman
01-28-2015, 08:44 AM
First you have to be cool. Considering some of the people who allegedly managed that, doing this can't be hard.
Then you find an avatar you would want to use. I can't help you with that, so I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader.
That sends you to a screen with lots of options. One of them is "Edit Your Details" and though that sounds promising, it is a red herring in this case. Then you may notice "Pictures & Albums", which is useless too. Finally you may spot "Edit Profile Picture". I'm not entirely sure, seeing as how I haven't done it myself on this board, but I suspect that it will enable you to do what you want.

PS I don't remember what the "CP" stands for in this case. It probably has some meaning, though.

thanks Gonzo? or do people call you the Great?

I'm happy with the first. hukka hukka!

Terez
01-28-2015, 09:08 AM

Control Panel. And you didn't read far enough. Down below "Edit Profile Picture" you will eventually find "Edit Avatar" (under "Settings & Options").

GonzoTheGreat
01-28-2015, 10:39 AM
thanks Gonzo? or do people call you the Great?
Usually either Gonzo or GtG. I've been called some other things too, though, now and then.

Khoram
01-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Usually either Gonzo or GtG. I've been called some other things too, though, now and then.

Who calls you GtG?

Terez
01-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Who calls you GtG?
Vardene.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-28-2015, 02:11 PM
She also has kids, so she might have spent the day building snowforts and the like. And either way she probably spent a good portion of the day shoveling.

LOLOLOL no, she had pics of the hubbs cleaning the snow

she is 9 months pregnant, newest addition will arrive early next week

Daekyras
01-28-2015, 04:16 PM

GtG? I like it.

Lol at unwise thinking anyone would be shortened to "the great". Sure I cant get my status changed to "well hung warlord" and I really tried!

Nazbaque
01-28-2015, 05:46 PM
GtG? I like it.

Lol at unwise thinking anyone would be shortened to "the great". Sure I cant get my status changed to "well hung warlord" and I really tried!

No you didn't. You just made some posts. Really trying would be leading an invasion to victory and ravishing at least a dozen women and making them enjoy the experience so much they come back for more. That is a well hung warlord.

*Sigh* Past life memories...

Zombie Sammael
01-28-2015, 07:07 PM
No you didn't. You just made some posts. Really trying would be leading an invasion to victory and ravishing at least a dozen women and making them enjoy the experience so much they come back for more. That is a well hung warlord.

So you went back for more, eh?

Khoram
01-28-2015, 08:04 PM

The women here are too powerful to succumb to that.

Nazbaque
01-29-2015, 03:44 AM
So you went back for more, eh?

hmmm? Oh I wasn't one of the women. I was his mother.

Daekyras
01-29-2015, 06:57 AM
hmmm? Oh I wasn't one of the women. I was his mother.

Mama? Mama? you came back. I knew you would.

*HUUUUUUGGGGGGSSSSS*

Nazbaque
01-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Mama? Mama? you came back. I knew you would.

*HUUUUUUGGGGGGSSSSS*

Yes yes, Daek you're a good boy, but you must stop trying to live up to your big brother's achievements. You've got your own good points and when it comes to women quality is much more valuable than quantity. Honestly your brother made me proud, but none of those little sluts in that harem of his was worthy of him much less you. Hmph! I wouldn't have fed those cooking attempts to pigs and in spite of all that time spent on their knees none of could clean a floor properly!

Daekyras
01-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Yes yes, Daek you're a good boy, but you must stop trying to live up to your big brother's achievements. You've got your own good points and when it comes to women quality is much more valuable than quantity. Honestly your brother made me proud, but none of those little sluts in that harem of his was worthy of him much less you. Hmph! I wouldn't have fed those cooking attempts to pigs and in spite of all that time spent on their knees none of could clean a floor properly!

Thank you mama. You are right, as you always are.

I can never live up to my brothers reputation. Form now on I have changed my tune. I will no longer ask to be referred to as well hung warlord.

My new title should be: "Well Hung Man of Peace".

Excellent.

Khoram
01-29-2015, 10:26 AM
o.O

You guys are... odd, to say the least...

Terez
01-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Pretty standard fare for noobthreads.

Khoram
01-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Pretty standard fare for noobthreads.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean they aren't odd.

GonzoTheGreat
01-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Why not?
If it is standard, then it shouldn't be considered odd, after all. Though calling this thread even may be somewhat inaccurate too, I grant.

Nazbaque
01-29-2015, 11:24 AM
What? No yo momma jokes?

Khoram
01-29-2015, 12:38 PM
What? No yo momma jokes?

What about Yo-yo Ma jokes?

Terez
01-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Another random Finn joke.

http://i.imgur.com/AzZMGph.png

Daekyras
01-29-2015, 01:13 PM
o.O

You guys are... odd, to say the least...

Awww, I hate being judged :(

also, Naz, after seeing T's hilarious joke there it reminded me you are from turkuu. Do you watch ufc by any chance?

Nazbaque
01-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Awww, I hate being judged :(

also, Naz, after seeing T's hilarious joke there it reminded me you are from turkuu. Do you watch ufc by any chance?

Drop the last u and no I don't watch TV. And pretty much all fighting sports are so... tame. Whatever they call it and however much they allow it always ends at defeat. A real fight is about humiliation and in my book it's not a real humiliation until the opponent soils himself.

Daekyras
01-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Drop the last u and no I don't watch TV. And pretty much all fighting sports are so... tame. Whatever they call it and however much they allow it always ends at defeat. A real fight is about humiliation and in my book it's not a real humiliation until the opponent soils himself.

Well, now I'm a little scared. (Remembering that you are a really big dude)

I was asking as last weekend a guy from turku made his ufc debut. When they announced it I said to myself "who do I know from turku?" And it just hit me that it is your good self.

and a girl who trains my wife's dog in agility. Mad sport that it is.

Nazbaque
01-29-2015, 11:46 PM
Well, now I'm a little scared. (Remembering that you are a really big dude)

I was asking as last weekend a guy from turku made his ufc debut. When they announced it I said to myself "who do I know from turku?" And it just hit me that it is your good self.

and a girl who trains my wife's dog in agility. Mad sport that it is.

What kind of a dog? My sister has two brazilian terriers and the mother of the older one competed in agility. Originally she wanted to train hers for it too but it didn't work out.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-30-2015, 02:29 AM
Welcome Unwise!

Like Saucy said, Zae is off having kids and snow :D

I see you've already met our resident comedy club.

Nazbaque
01-30-2015, 04:43 AM
Welcome Unwise!

Like Saucy said, Zae is off having kids and snow :D

I see you've already met our resident comedy club.

Read that as "having kids in snow" and thought: "The Dragon is reborn!" and then: "Or is that re-reborn?"

Daekyras
01-30-2015, 05:23 AM
What kind of a dog? My sister has two brazilian terriers and the mother of the older one competed in agility. Originally she wanted to train hers for it too but it didn't work out.

A springer called Hamilton. We also have a cat called Schrodinger. Can't have one without the other....

edit: I am such a nerd!

Khoram
01-30-2015, 10:25 AM
A springer called Hamilton. We also have a cat called Schrodinger. Can't have one without the other....

edit: I am such a nerd!

Aren't we all?

I've got a Viszla. Great dog. Smart, too. So smart that she barks at nothing, is absolutely terrified when the power goes out, tries to manipulate us to give her more food (which is in fact quite smart), and likes to eat tennis balls. And she still acts like a puppy (even though she's gonna be nine soon).

Daekyras
01-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Oh great, you guys scared off the new guy

Khoram
01-31-2015, 08:18 PM

Alas, Theoryland is not for the faint of heart. Or the weak of stomach.

Or the irresolute of mind.

Nazbaque
02-01-2015, 01:25 AM
Alas, Theoryland is not for the faint of heart. Or the weak of stomach.

Or the irresolute of mind.

Nah all those can handle TL just so long as they're not sane of mind.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-02-2015, 03:16 AM

Hukka! No Im not scared off Daekyras.

I have bad net at home so have to fit it in during my breaks.

Is it always so quiet here?

P.S Is it ok to post in the older threads about the wheel? All the questions seem to be answered and everyone seems so militant!

yks 6nnetu hing
02-02-2015, 04:09 AM
Hukka! No Im not scared off Daekyras.

I have bad net at home so have to fit it in during my breaks.

Is it always so quiet here?

P.S Is it ok to post in the older threads about the wheel? All the questions seem to be answered and everyone seems so militant!

Ever since the last book came out it's been like this, yes. Only the die-hards remain, those being picked off one by one by Real Life. The Tumbleweeds will soon inherit the place.

in a more serious tone, kind of, yes.

PS - go right ahead, don't get discouraged by the grumpuses and post any and all (wacky) theories you might have.

Speaking of... should we have a wacky theories contest in preparation for JCon?

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 05:05 AM
You know there should so be a WoT version of Clue. Who killed Asmodean? And where? And with what?

GonzoTheGreat
02-02-2015, 05:09 AM
All the questions seem to be answered and everyone seems so militant!
And yet, in the whole of the series, only one person is described as "militant" and then only once.

Daekyras
02-02-2015, 05:46 AM
And yet, in the whole of the series, only one person is described as "militant" and then only once.

Sorry :(

yks 6nnetu hing
02-02-2015, 05:58 AM

Who, you might ask, why:

TITLE: Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 54 - Into the Palace

"Maybe we will not have to worry about guards on her door," Elayne said. The riot had begun in the streets. Rumors spread by Thom and Juilin to gather the crowd. Domon's sailors to egg them on. She regretted the necessity, but the disturbance would pull most of the guards out of the palace, maybe all with luck. Those people out there did not know it, but they fought in a battle to save their city from the Black Ajah and the world from the Shadow. "Egeanin should go with you, Nynaeve. Your part is the most important. If one of us needs someone to watch her back, it is you." "I've no need for a Seanchan!" Shouldering her duster like a pike, Nynaeve strode off down the hall. She really did not move like a servant. Not with that militant stride.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Ever since the last book came out it's been like this, yes. Only the die-hards remain, those being picked off one by one by Real Life. The Tumbleweeds will soon inherit the place.

PS - go right ahead, don't get discouraged by the grumpuses and post any and all (wacky) theories you might have.

Great!

Should I just post a question here or go to old topics as it seems like nobody reads them...

yks 6nnetu hing
02-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Great!

Should I just post a question here or go to old topics as it seems like nobody reads them...

we do, don't worry :) There are some who only ever ost on Non( =this board) but most do read everything, even if they don't necessarily answer.

GonzoTheGreat
02-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Sometimes it would be nice if some (not looking at Tam) answered when that was necessarily. However, for some reason I haven't quite figured out, yet, not everyone obeys my orders. If I believed in psychology, I could blame it on them having had a childhood or something, but as it is, it is just a mystery.

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Is there anyone who obeys gonzo? since he said not everyone instead of no-one...

GonzoTheGreat
02-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Proving that not everyone obeys me is already not a trivial exercise (since I've recited Brian's Sermon on the Mount, disobedience could often be considered obedience too, if people had thought about it). Proving that no one obeys me would be harder still, I think.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-02-2015, 08:37 AM
to quote Britney:

Oops!...You think that I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

a second quote from Britney, (paraphrased): "Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth"

Davian93
02-02-2015, 10:24 AM

We had a really good run, but all good things have to come to an end.

Isabel
02-02-2015, 11:47 AM
you can post your questions everywhere ;)
You can even make a new thread :p

BTw, welcome :D

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-02-2015, 12:22 PM
you can post your questions everywhere ;)
You can even make a new thread :p

BTw, welcome :D

Great. I have lots of questions that probably seem silly to you guys but have kinda bugged me. I dont know any real life people to talk to about wheel of time. This is my first venture onto a forum.

What is the place Wheel of Time is set called? I know the country names but the...continent?

Khoram
02-02-2015, 12:28 PM
We know it as Randland. I don't know if there's an "official" name for the continent, though.

Ivhon
02-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Silly people. Randland's official name is Ivhonica.

ShadowbaneX
02-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Silly people. Randland's official name is Ivhonica.

Don't you mean Ihvonica?

I think somewhere it's. Referenced as the West lands, but since it doesn't rhyme most people don't pay attention to that.

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Don't you mean Ihvonica?

I think somewhere it's. Referenced as the West lands, but since it doesn't rhyme most people don't pay attention to that.

Sure you aren't confusing it with Wetlands as in what the Aiel call the lands west of the Spine?

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-02-2015, 04:27 PM
We know it as Randland. I don't know if there's an "official" name for the continent, though.

Randland? I like it. Nice and simple. I've been calling it the "channel mainland" as if it was related to the "channel islands" in our world. Hukka, now I feel dumb!

Nazbaque
02-02-2015, 04:46 PM
The true name of the world is of course Tarwin. On the northern end of the Spine of the World is Tarwin's Gap. A "gap" on top of a "spine" is of course a mouth and if the gap is Tarwin's the spine must be too and thus the World must be Tarwin. Considering Kinslayer's Dagger it is also quite clear why the west side is the Wetlands and the east side is the Waste.

ShadowbaneX
02-02-2015, 06:25 PM
http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Westlands

Terez
02-02-2015, 07:51 PM
The term 'Westlands' originates from The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game and was subsequently used by Robert Jordan in occasional interviews.

[[citation needed (http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kw=westlands)]]

ShadowbaneX
02-02-2015, 09:01 PM
works for me.

...I've got the RPG book.

The Unreasoner
02-02-2015, 10:26 PM
You know there should so be a WoT version of Clue. Who killed Asmodean? And where? And with what?

Are you fucking serious?

On the continent issue, surely the Seanchan had a name for it

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Are you fucking serious?

On the continent issue, surely the Seanchan had a name for it

What? That game would be awesome! The players/suspects would be the characters with the strongest alibis such as Rand himself, Lanfear, Moiraine, Rahvin etc. They should probably be channelers so you can have weaves as murder weapons and places could include Shadar Logoth, Caemlyn, Tear and so on.

The Unreasoner
02-03-2015, 12:58 AM
What? That game would be awesome! The players/suspects would be the characters with the strongest alibis such as Rand himself, Lanfear, Moiraine, Rahvin etc. They should probably be channelers so you can have weaves as murder weapons and places could include Shadar Logoth, Caemlyn, Tear and so on.

Oh. I thought you were just going to give me another boring lecture on enthusiasm.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5663

yks 6nnetu hing
02-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Oh. I thought you were just going to give me another boring lecture on enthusiasm.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5663

oh snap!

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 04:16 AM
oh snap!

Do you know what he is going on about?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-03-2015, 04:51 AM
Do you know what he is going on about?

what, you're too lazy to click on the link?

[and the amount of times I say *that* every day is truly depressing]

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 04:59 AM
what, you're too lazy to click on the link?

[and the amount of times I say *that* every day is truly depressing]

No, I'm just having trouble deciding on if I'm messing with his head without even trying or if I'm watching him mess with his own head. Thought a second opinion would illuminate things.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-03-2015, 05:06 AM
and that's the second time you admit to trolling another poster.

Please find another way to amuse yourself, this is becoming pathetic.

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 05:22 AM
and that's the second time you admit to trolling another poster.

Please find another way to amuse yourself, this is becoming pathetic.

But you see that's what I don't know. Is it just that I'm being me and his obsessive head gets messed up or is he constantly messing with his own head and just happens to be drawn to my comments?

And I'm pretty sure that what I think of as messing doesn't completely fit into any reasonable definition of trolling. So you can't really say that I've admitted to trolling.

Zombie Sammael
02-03-2015, 05:24 AM
But you see that's what I don't know. Is it just that I'm being me and his obsessive head gets messed up or is he constantly messing with his own head and just happens to be drawn to my comments?

And I'm pretty sure that what I think of as messing doesn't completely fit into any reasonable definition of trolling. So you can't really say that I've admitted to trolling.

Since when did anything at all, let alone definitions, have to be reasonable on Theoryland?

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 05:27 AM
Since when did anything at all, let alone definitions, have to be reasonable on Theoryland?

Shhhh! It's not about TL. It's an yks countermeasure.

GonzoTheGreat
02-03-2015, 05:39 AM
Shhhh! It's not about TL. It's an yks countermeasure.
Good point. For some incomprehensible reason, the yks countermeasures are always reasonable.

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Good point. For some incomprehensible reason, the yks countermeasures are always reasonable.

It's because she is secretly sane, which is indeed incomprehensible.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-03-2015, 05:48 AM
there are several possible definitions to trolling. For the one we use here, see the Rules on General boards.

I personally find this definition the best:
Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence."
Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."

There's also a wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)) page on the topic.

Now, in general, the Non boards are MUCH more lax about off-topic posting, sarcasm and general tomfoolery but, Naz, you are persistently harassing Unreasoner. That is not ok.

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 06:10 AM
there are several possible definitions to trolling. For the one we use here, see the Rules on General boards.

I personally find this definition the best:

There's also a wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)) page on the topic.

Now, in general, the Non boards are MUCH more lax about off-topic posting, sarcasm and general tomfoolery but, Naz, you are persistently harassing Unreasoner. That is not ok.

Okay it got out of hand the first time, but now it's like he perceives everything I do as a personal insult to him even when I'm talking to other people. Like just now when I made a comment on WoT-cluedo and he digs up a three and a half year old thread from 'fricking' archives. If that is me trolling him then this counts as you yks trolling me. Sure you want to butt heads with me on this?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Okay it got out of hand the first time, but now it's like he perceives everything I do as a personal insult to him even when I'm talking to other people. Like just now when I made a comment on WoT-cluedo and he digs up a three and a half year old thread from 'fricking' archives. If that is me trolling him then this counts as you yks trolling me. Sure you want to butt heads with me on this?

no, that wasn't the issue. the issue (as I understand it, obvs) was this, bolded bit:

-Naz comes up with a WoT cluedo idea
-Unreasoner says "oh rly? I thougth of that ages ago"
-Naz responds with "I don't know what you're talking about"
-Yks says "click the link"
-Naz says he's messing with Unreasoner's head or Undreasoner is messing with Unreasoner's head. in any case, Unreasoner's head is being messed with.

Messing with someone's head, deliberately or not, or only claiming that you're doing it implies (again, to me, I don't claim universal understanding of this) personal negative involvement in the mental status of another person. It implies an action. So when I say "stop it" and you go "I wasn't doing anything" and I say "but you said you were doing something, so whether or not you were actually doing it, stop it and stop saying you were doing it" and then you say "you're mean now"... well, duh.

does this excplain my thought process in this particular case a bit?

Eta: it's kinda like... when someone stands next to you and says "I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you" while, indeed, not touching you.

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 07:04 AM
no, that wasn't the issue. the issue (as I understand it, obvs) was this, bolded bit:

-Naz comes up with a WoT cluedo idea
-Unreasoner says "oh rly? I thougth of that ages ago"
-Naz responds with "I don't know what you're talking about"
-Yks says "click the link"
-Naz says he's messing with Unreasoner's head or Undreasoner is messing with Unreasoner's head. in any case, Unreasoner's head is being messed with.

Messing with someone's head, deliberately or not, or only claiming that you're doing it implies (again, to me, I don't claim universal understanding of this) personal negative involvement in the mental status of another person. It implies an action. So when I say "stop it" and you go "I wasn't doing anything" and I say "but you said you were doing something, so whether or not you were actually doing it, stop it and stop saying you were doing it" and then you say "you're mean now"... well, duh.

does this excplain my thought process in this particular case a bit?

Yes it's quite clear that you haven't spotted the pattern yet. Southpaw posts. Unreasoner gets annoyed and complaining becomes trolling. Naz gets annoyed lectures Unreasoner and it becomes trolling. Yks gets annoyed and lectures Naz... Are you going to cross the line to trolling yks? If you do then you have no moral ground to stand on with this and you can put your opinion to where the sun don't shine.

Right now I'm not sure what goes on in Unreasoner's head, but it's starting to look like a persecution complex. In short I'm not sure if it's possible for me to post anything without him going off the deep end. So it's more like he is trolling himself and I'm just an excuse. So take it up with him. Complain to him about trolling himself. And then complain to yourself about trolling him. That is pretty much the same thing you are doing now i.e. complaining to me about his problems.

Or is this all just missunderstanding and we should conclude that you yks do not understand the complexities of messing with heads including the cases where it is not harmful and therefore can't be trolling?

GonzoTheGreat
02-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Right now I'm not sure what goes on in Unreasoner's head, ...Why not assume there's nothing going on that head at all?
In very many cases, that seems a very safe assumption. Not saying it is correct here, but I don't see why you are trying to figure out what is going on in his head. Let sleeping heads lie, and all that.

Or is this all just missunderstanding and we should conclude that you yks do not understand the complexities of messing with heads including the cases where it is not harmful and therefore can't be trolling?
I don't see why it can't be trolling if it isn't harmful. Not all trolls actually succeed in doing harm, so attempts should also count in evaluating trollishness (trollicity? the Vikings should've put more of a mark on English, then this would have been cleared up by Shakespeare).

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Attempted trolling isn't actual trolling, if it's unsuccessful.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Yes it's quite clear that you haven't spotted the pattern yet. Southpaw posts. Unreasoner gets annoyed and complaining becomes trolling. Naz gets annoyed lectures Unreasoner and it becomes trolling. Yks gets annoyed and lectures Naz... Are you going to cross the line to trolling yks? If you do then you have no moral ground to stand on with this and you can put your opinion to where the sun don't shine.

Right now I'm not sure what goes on in Unreasoner's head, but it's starting to look like a persecution complex. In short I'm not sure if it's possible for me to post anything without him going off the deep end. So it's more like he is trolling himself and I'm just an excuse. So take it up with him. Complain to him about trolling himself. And then complain to yourself about trolling him. That is pretty much the same thing you are doing now i.e. complaining to me about his problems.

taking this off the main boards and into PM

The Unreasoner
02-03-2015, 01:45 PM
lol...
Yes. Clearly, I am the one with the persecution complex, Naz.

And it just gets dull. If you were a computer program, you couldn't pass the Turing test.

The Unreasoner
02-03-2015, 01:55 PM
In any case, I misinterpreted your first post. I thought you were just bringing up a dead K4-like thread to have yet another boring argument where you keep going on about how subtle and wise you are, then slip up and claim 'mind games'.

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 02:57 PM
I make a random comment and you dig that up?

What was the sad attempt at logic behind it?

And why do you double post like that? Ten minute difference? Why not just edit? Or actually think for the ten minutes before you post?

You could for example take a look at that misunderstanding of yours and everything you posted after that. If you are that keen to start a fight go to a bar. Or go to anger management therapy.

Khoram
02-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Another lesson for Unwise: if at any time an argument like this begins, feel free to hop onto the ESC Couch, where there's infinite room and untold numbers of goodies and snacks.

*plops down on ESC Couch*

The Unreasoner
02-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Naz,
I sort of doubt that I'm the one with anger issues. You act like a bullied child with a syllogism textbook.

In any case, there was a coincidence, a misunderstanding, and then a dismissal on my part. Any hostility here rode with you. As for the two posts thing, there was a reason for it. It ended up not mattering, but if it bothers you, they make pills for that.

Ivhon
02-03-2015, 05:11 PM
I am and always have been one of the biggest proponents of Non-Wot being left completely to its own devices. I frequently have enjoyed (and admittedly have participated in) some of the fireworks that sometimes come up.

That said, this is an inevitably dying site and it seems that every. single. thread. devolves into Naz and Unreasoner having a tete-a-tete amongst themselves about literally nothing that anyone else gives a flying fuck about. Even in a thread where new blood arrives.

It is boring. It is annoying. It is absolutely un-necessary.

I know that I have been called to account occasionally in my interactions with others on this board. When that has happened I have backed off and toned down out of respect for those who don't care for what me and my antagonists are arguing about.

Naz and Unreasoner. Stop. Nobody gives a shit. If you guys want to go around in circles on philosophy or whatever other nitpicky have-to-have-the-last-word semantic drivel take it to private messages. You are killing what is left here.

It is very simple. You do not have to have the last word. I know it feels like you do. Trust me. You don't. This is my job. Teaching people that not getting the last word does not mean you lose. It means you are taking the high road and not engaging in a go-nowhere argument anymore. Especially when your go-nowhere arguments are in public.

Please stop. I assure each of you that the rest of us know when one or the other or both of you are taking shots at the other. You don't need to defend yourselves to us. We are adults and can recognize when someone is being an asshole. Just let it go.

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Are you trying to prove what you are based on what I am?

Who said issues are limited to one person? Yet clearly you are not something because someone else already is that.

Stalin fought Hitler. Was one of them a good guy just because the other was evil?

Did I just Godwin a noob thread?

Kimon
02-03-2015, 05:19 PM
I am and always have been one of the biggest proponents of Non-Wot being left completely to its own devices. I frequently have enjoyed (and admittedly have participated in) some of the fireworks that sometimes come up.

That said, this is an inevitably dying site and it seems that every. single. thread. devolves into Naz and Unreasoner having a tete-a-tete amongst themselves about literally nothing that anyone else gives a flying fuck about. Even in a thread where new blood arrives.

It is boring. It is annoying. It is absolutely un-necessary.

I know that I have been called to account occasionally in my interactions with others on this board. When that has happened I have backed off and toned down out of respect for those who don't care for what me and my antagonists are arguing about.

Naz and Unreasoner. Stop. Nobody gives a shit. If you guys want to go around in circles on philosophy or whatever other nitpicky have-to-have-the-last-word semantic drivel take it to private messages. You are killing what is left here.

It is very simple. You do not have to have the last word. I know it feels like you do. Trust me. You don't. This is my job. Teaching people that not getting the last word does not mean you lose. It means you are taking the high road and not engaging in a go-nowhere argument anymore. Especially when your go-nowhere arguments are in public.

Please stop. I assure each of you that the rest of us know when one or the other or both of you are taking shots at the other. You don't need to defend yourselves to us. We are adults and can recognize when someone is being an asshole. Just let it go.

Why not simply make a quarantine file. They can still post elsewhere, but we create a file for them to vent their childishness there without infecting unrelated threads. You know, like the Egwene Quarantine...

The Unreasoner
02-03-2015, 05:25 PM
*bows out quietly*

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Ivhon, Kimon I invite you to read the whole thread from start to finish.

Terez
02-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Ivhon, Kimon I invite you to read the whole thread from start to finish.
Now, that's just unnecessary. One need only begin at post #85.

Nazbaque
02-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Now, that's just unnecessary. One need only begin at post #85.

The bits before show what the mood and nature was. It's important for comparison.

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Stalin fought Hitler. Was one of them a good guy just because the other was evil?
Obviously. Then again, there has been some debate now and then about which was which.

And, if you want to get picky about it, then it might be more accurate to say that Hitler fought Stalin, even though the latter won, seeing as how Hitler was the first to launch the surprise attack. Stalin wanted to do that too, but he knew he was nowhere near close to being ready for such a war at the time. He probably never would have been, and might even have had the sense to recognise that.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-04-2015, 03:53 AM
Hello,

Sorry if I started that.

I work strange shifts as a nurse so won't be on everyday but would really like to ask more questions if that is ok?

What is the esc couch?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-04-2015, 04:00 AM
Hello,

Sorry if I started that.

I work strange shifts as a nurse so won't be on everyday but would really like to ask more questions if that is ok?

What is the esc couch?

nah, that sort of thing happens here... glad it didn't scare you away :)

the ESC couch, is short for Entropy Sideline Club couch - basically our way of saying "there's a fight/something entertaining going on and I don't feel like getting involved but am following it from afar". The couch comes with a cooler for all sorts of beverages and there's snacks in there somewhere... and if you look closely enough, you'll see the occasional Hero or Ancient lost in the cracks.

So you're a nurse? Whereabouts?

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2015, 04:17 AM
Sorry if I started that.
You did not start it. It would be nice if you could end it, though.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-04-2015, 05:40 AM
nah, that sort of thing happens here... glad it didn't scare you away :)

the ESC couch, is short for Entropy Sideline Club couch - basically our way of saying "there's a fight/something entertaining going on and I don't feel like getting involved but am following it from afar". The couch comes with a cooler for all sorts of beverages and there's snacks in there somewhere... and if you look closely enough, you'll see the occasional Hero or Ancient lost in the cracks.

So you're a nurse? Whereabouts?

I am currently in Buenos Aires. Left home to "find myself" after college when I was 22 and 4 years later I am here working at the same thing I tried to avoid and loving it. Funny how things go.

Are you a nurse too?

Can i ask more WoT questions?

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2015, 05:50 AM
All right, then. But if you ask them here (on the non-WoT board), don't be too surprised if they get swamped by discussions on the vapidity of politico-religious debate on the topic of thread hijacks.

Nazbaque
02-04-2015, 05:58 AM

Well you can, but WoT discussion is more fruitfull in the General WoT forum. Feel free to discuss with us in the name of finding out what kind of a thread you should start there though.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-04-2015, 06:42 AM
All right, then. But if you ask them here (on the non-WoT board), don't be too surprised if they get swamped by discussions on the vapidity of politico-religious debate on the topic of thread hijacks.

Thank you.

I have always wondered about the fear effect that fades have.

Is it a spell/channeling thing? And why are some people immune to it? It makes sense for Lan and Rand as they have the void but why does it not affect Perrin much when he kills the fade at beginning of Dragon Reborn?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-04-2015, 07:50 AM
I am currently in Buenos Aires. Left home to "find myself" after college when I was 22 and 4 years later I am here working at the same thing I tried to avoid and loving it. Funny how things go.

Are you a nurse too?

Cool! it is indeed funny how life turns out sometimes. No, I'm not a nurse (I'm a document controller. if that doesn't say anything to you then... I fight with windmills) but we've got rather a number of healthcare professionals here :)

on the Fades question: it's a bit of an EotWism (something that is only explained or only occurs in The Eye of the World and is not mentioned of the later books), but it's the Warder-bond that protects Lan. For Rand it's indeed the void; and for Perrin, it's the Wolfbrother thing, wolves don't fear Fades, they hate them.

Nazbaque
02-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Thank you.

I have always wondered about the fear effect that fades have.

Is it a spell/channeling thing? And why are some people immune to it? It makes sense for Lan and Rand as they have the void but why does it not affect Perrin much when he kills the fade at beginning of Dragon Reborn?

Well the thing is that people are not immune to it. The concept of bravery is popular in fantasy and in short it goes: To be brave is not to be fearless, but to have the resolve to overcome your fear. The very essence of the void is to overcome emotion and reach absolute control. They are not immune to fear, but defeat it with resolve. Perrin's background is that he has always been bigger than othetrs and because of his kind nature he taught himself to be careful as not to accidentally harm others. His ways of controlling himself haven't been as direct as the void, but they have subtly trained him for becoming brave.

Fades are not completely tied to the Pattern, which is why they can "Travel" by shadow and can't survive normal Traveling. This is also the reason for their capes not being affected by wind, why they reverse colours when balefired and why they don't dream. However they also have a connection to the DO through this partial detachment to the Pattern and it is the basis for the 13+13 trick of turning a channeler to the Shadow. The fear is also a part of this connection to the DO. In a sense Shaidar Haran is the ultimate form of a fade's basic nature rather than a fade with bonus parts.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Cool! it is indeed funny how life turns out sometimes. No, I'm not a nurse (I'm a document controller. if that doesn't say anything to you then... I fight with windmills) but we've got rather a number of healthcare professionals here :)

on the Fades question: it's a bit of an EotWism (something that is only explained or only occurs in The Eye of the World and is not mentioned of the later books), but it's the Warder-bond that protects Lan. For Rand it's indeed the void; and for Perrin, it's the Wolfbrother thing, wolves don't fear Fades, they hate them.

So you're like a "Donna Quixote"?

And to all of you who have answered my questions, thank you. It really means a lot to read people discussing things like this. I know no-one who reads this kind of novel.

In fact, I often get insulted and called names when I try to talk to others about them. My friends here think it very strange to be into something so involved. It can be quite demoralising, even at my age.

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2015, 09:24 AM
It can be quite demoralising, even at my age.
So now we're remoralising you. Which raises the question: when were you first moralised?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-04-2015, 09:36 AM
So you're like a "Donna Quixote"?

And to all of you who have answered my questions, thank you. It really means a lot to read people discussing things like this. I know no-one who reads this kind of novel.

In fact, I often get insulted and called names when I try to talk to others about them. My friends here think it very strange to be into something so involved. It can be quite demoralising, even at my age.

TL really is like a family, bickering and all :)

You can find WoT fans at the strangest places - I met one at our contractor's team. He's an engineer, and always so serious... bit of an asshole, really... but when I mentioned that I like Fantasy, oh his eyes lit up, and he asked what's my favourite... I said WoT and before I knew it we were discussing the metaphysics of how Warder cloaks are made!

We've got a few lawyers, civil servants, academics, stay-at-home moms, working moms, newlyweds, old phartes... and a hillbilly rabbit.

Daekyras
02-04-2015, 09:39 AM
So now we're remoralising you. Which raises the question: when were you first moralised?

Can a person be moralised? Isn't moralising a justification for an argument? Clearly this thread has proven that arguments need no justification....

and unwise, feel free to ask any question you wish. Don't let yourself be put off by petty argunents between other posters (whom are both good guys but seem to have a blind spot for each other).

P.s I wont answer any of them, I am not as versed as the others here.

Ivhon
02-04-2015, 10:40 AM
I do WoT therapy with one of my clients. Its pretty awesome.

Davian93
02-04-2015, 11:08 AM

"Remember how Rand handled his mental issues? Yeah, do the exact opposite and you will be fine."

Terez
02-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Shall we change your name to Graendal?

Nazbaque
02-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Shall we change your name to Graendal?

... Ivhon you pervert!

Khoram
02-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Those poses you get them to do must be quite the site to behold.

Ivhon
02-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Hmmm....interestingly enough, I specialize in somatic work that involves allowing the body to physically work through held trauma. This very often leads to clients assuming and holding what would appear from the outside as very unusual and demanding positions.

So. Graendude?

Daekyras
02-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Hmmm....interestingly enough, I specialize in somatic work that involves allowing the body to physically work through held trauma. This very often leads to clients assuming and holding what would appear from the outside as very unusual and demanding positions.

So. Graendude?

Mrs. Daek is a psychologist (and a pleasure to be around) and I showed her that and she was very interested. In fact she is so interested that she has spent the rest of the evening on the phone to a fellow psychologist discussing it.

And I will consent to you being called graendude if you consent to my new moniker...

Uno
02-04-2015, 05:13 PM
That said, this is an inevitably dying site and it seems that every. single. thread. devolves into Naz and Unreasoner having a tete-a-tete amongst themselves about literally nothing that anyone else gives a flying fuck about.

Inevitably dying site? Theoryland of the Wheel of Time is inevitably dying, but we can--if we want to--keep it alive in another form. What is there to stop us? A lot of us share a general interest in fantasy and sci-fi, after all. Theoryland has been pronounced dead many times before. We defy augury.

Ivhon
02-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Inevitably dying site? Theoryland of the Wheel of Time is inevitably dying, but we can--if we want to--keep it alive in another form. What is there to stop us? A lot of us share a general interest in fantasy and sci-fi, after all. Theoryland has been pronounced dead many times before. We defy augury.

Fair enough. I certainly hope you are right. Regardless, Im as fond of last posts as first, so Ill be here.

Ivhon
02-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Mrs. Daek is a psychologist (and a pleasure to be around) and I showed her that and she was very interested. In fact she is so interested that she has spent the rest of the evening on the phone to a fellow psychologist discussing it.

And I will consent to you being called graendude if you consent to my new moniker...

Im more than happy to consult with Ms Daek if she would like.

Khoram
02-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Im more than happy to consult with Ms Daek if she would like.

That's right. You can always use another body for your collection.

Terez
02-04-2015, 11:41 PM
Fair enough. I certainly hope you are right. Regardless, Im as fond of last posts as first, so Ill be here.
Any idiot can be first, if he's fast enough. But you'll have a lot of competition for the last word. It is Theoryland, after all.

Terez
02-04-2015, 11:51 PM
*bows out quietly*
It's not quiet if you post about it.

Just saying.

While I'm double-posting, welcome to Theoryland, morelikeunwisewoman. MLUWW? I like it; it reminds me of my grandmother's name, Mary Lou.

The Unreasoner
02-05-2015, 01:45 AM

Just saying.

While I'm double-posting, welcome to Theoryland, morelikeunwisewoman. MLUWW? I like it; it reminds me of my grandmother's name, Mary Lou.
It's not silent, you mean. I just was saying Ihvon was right. But things have calmed down nicely. Actual WoT questions to Theorylanders worked great.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-05-2015, 04:15 AM

Just saying.

Thats basically my name (Maire Louise)

Im glad the argument is over.

Is it ok to keep asking here or should I go make a new topic? It kinda helps to have them all here and I am really enjoying the interaction with other WoT fans. I would love to hold the knowledge you guys have. Even Daek!

Daekyras
02-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Thats basically my name (Maire Louise)

Im glad the argument is over.

Is it ok to keep asking here or should I go make a new topic? It kinda helps to have them all here and I am really enjoying the interaction with other WoT fans. I would love to hold the knowledge you guys have. Even Daek!

I see no problem with posting here. Fire away...

Daekyras
02-05-2015, 04:17 AM
Wait!!!!!! Even daek??? Thanks a million...

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-05-2015, 04:19 AM
Wait!!!!!! Even daek??? Thanks a million...

Sorry I saw your name on bottom of screen(in blue, I took that to mean you were reading this) and was just trying to joke.

I meant no offence.:(

Daekyras
02-05-2015, 04:22 AM
Sorry I saw your name on bottom of screen(in blue, I took that to mean you were reading this) and was just trying to joke.

I meant no offence.:(

Ha, trust me my south american friend, you didnt offend me. I was merely playing along. :)

Now shoot with the questions before anyone else can get in and answer it better than I can!

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-05-2015, 04:26 AM
Ha, trust me my south american friend, you didnt offend me. I was merely playing along. :)

Now shoot with the questions before anyone else can get in and answer it better than I can!

Oh good. :)

Verin is black ajah so I assume that negates the three oaths about weapons, lies etc.

Why did she talk so obtusely? I mean, she could have just lied but kept talking in that "Aes sedai" way...

Daekyras
02-05-2015, 04:34 AM

Verin is black ajah so I assume that negates the three oaths about weapons, lies etc.

Why did she talk so obtusely? I mean, she could have just lied but kept talking in that "Aes sedai" way...

Ummm....I really wish some of the bigger kids were here to answer that....

...here goes... I think it is one of three things:

1. Writer choice- RJ (rip) did it to intentionally keep us guessing. There is only one lie ahe tells in the books that I can think off (tGH) but so many things which were up for interpretation. So we never knew right up to her last scene.

or storywise

2. Force of habit- she spoke like an aes sedai because she was. And had been for a long time. This has become ingrained in her and she knows no other way.

3. Verin is super smart- she talked this way even when she didnt have to as she knew that getting caught in a lie would be diasastrous for her double/triple play. She was just ensuring her success.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-05-2015, 04:41 AM
Ummm....I really wish some of the bigger kids were here to answer that....

...here goes... I think it is one of three things:

1. Writer choice- RJ (rip) did it to intentionally keep us guessing. There is only one lie ahe tells in the books that I can think off (tGH) but so many things which were up for interpretation. So we never knew right up to her last scene.

or storywise

2. Force of habit- she spoke like an aes sedai because she was. And had been for a long time. This has become ingrained in her and she knows no other way.

3. Verin is super smart- she talked this way even when she didnt have to as she knew that getting caught in a lie would be diasastrous for her double/triple play. She was just ensuring her success.

I think it's #1 and #3. Verin was smart and knew that if caught in a lie, she'd be caught as Black Ajah; and of course no one would believe her if she said "but no, wait, I'm a double agent!"

GonzoTheGreat
02-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Is it ok to keep asking here or should I go make a new topic?
If you expect that the answer can be easily given in one or two posts, then putting them here is all right.
If you expect the (attempt to) answer to take dozens of posts or more, then making a new thread for the question would seem to be more sensible.

Of course, if you guess wrong, someone will be offended (see below).

I meant no offence.
Offence will be taken when you least expect it. It's a bit like the Spanish Inquisition, though not necessarily wearing drag so it is not the same entirely.

Nazbaque
02-05-2015, 07:15 AM

As my long lost past life son pointed out Black Ajah Aes Sedai have to avoid lying for the more subtle reasons. They have to pretend to be normal Aes Sedai and the best way to do that is to be a normal Aes Sedai as much as possible.

In a lot of different ways WoT has examples of short sighted solutions planting seeds for future problems. The Aiel male channelers, Black Ajah using the "Aes Sedai can't lie" as a tool, regular Aes Sedai working themselves sick to circumvent the Oaths proving the folly of forcing a rule without fully explaining the reasons and in fact the sealing of the Bore itself. So I think RJ was making a philosophical point about it.

Uno
02-05-2015, 11:24 AM

I take it you're referring to making the first post here, but I made the first post at these boards (and probably also at Yuku, or Ezboard as it was called at the time) on account of previewing them for Tamyrlin during the moving process. The fact that these posts were subsequently deleted before the grand opening of the boards does not change the fact that they were made.

Marie Curie 7
02-05-2015, 11:52 AM

In addition to the responses given already, since Verin was Black but still trying to help the Light side, she also had to be circumspect in her comments because she couldn't violate the Black Ajah oaths. That is, she couldn't betray the Dark One or rat out the members of the Black Ajah directly; she had to skirt around those oaths as well as appear to be following the Aes Sedai oaths. So she talked obtusely. And did things like giving Egwene the dream ter'angreal.

Anyway, there are a few members who read and comment almost exclusively in the WoT forum, and look at Non-Wot only rarely or not at all. So, while it's not that big of a deal, if you do have lots of WoT questions, I would say you might get even more responses by posting them in the General WoT discussion forum. You can start your own new question thread, or you can use the existing "Ask Us Anything (http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7108)" thread. Also, for those who don't pay much attention to Non-Wot discussion, a thread title like "Made me join" is not really going to jump out as a thread that includes WoT questions and answers. Just my 2 cents.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-06-2015, 03:27 AM
In addition to the responses given already, since Verin was Black but still trying to help the Light side, she also had to be circumspect in her comments because she couldn't violate the Black Ajah oaths. That is, she couldn't betray the Dark One or rat out the members of the Black Ajah directly; she had to skirt around those oaths as well as appear to be following the Aes Sedai oaths. So she talked obtusely. And did things like giving Egwene the dream ter'angreal.

Anyway, there are a few members who read and comment almost exclusively in the WoT forum, and look at Non-Wot only rarely or not at all. So, while it's not that big of a deal, if you do have lots of WoT questions, I would say you might get even more responses by posting them in the General WoT discussion forum. You can start your own new question thread, or you can use the existing "Ask Us Anything (http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7108)" thread. Also, for those who don't pay much attention to Non-Wot discussion, a thread title like "Made me join" is not really going to jump out as a thread that includes WoT questions and answers. Just my 2 cents.

Ok, sorry. I'll do that in future.:(

Nazbaque
02-06-2015, 04:00 AM
Ok, sorry. I'll do that in future.:(

Oh don't be sorry. This is advice not criticism.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-06-2015, 04:40 AM
Oh don't be sorry. This is advice not criticism.

Thanx.

I am a real novice at forums and hate to be annoying people. This is my first venture into one and it has been very positive so far. I am nervous by nature and strangely, this is less daunting than I thought it would be.

I am nervous about asking silly questions to the Hero's and elders. I like those names by the way, even if youngling sits poorly with me with it's gawyn connections.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-06-2015, 04:48 AM
oh don't worry, people will tell you if/when you're being annoying. they won't be subtle about it either, they'll just go "you're being annoying" :rolleyes:

oh, if you're interested in other books than Wheel of Time, we've got a section "Other books". I personally like the What are you reading now (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4742) thread - it's super long but full of really good ideas :)

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-06-2015, 05:00 AM
oh don't worry, people will tell you if/when you're being annoying. they won't be subtle about it either, they'll just go "you're being annoying" :rolleyes:

oh, if you're interested in other books than Wheel of Time, we've got a section "Other books". I personally like the What are you reading now (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4742) thread - it's super long but full of really good ideas :)

I just looked at it. WoW!That is an extensive reading list. I would love to get some of them read.

I only picked up the Wheel on a whim while back packing in peru. It was on the hostel library shelf and the person who left it wrote a lovely message so I tried it and I've loved it since. Took me four years to read them all!

Nazbaque
02-06-2015, 05:05 AM
Thanx.

I am a real novice at forums and hate to be annoying people. This is my first venture into one and it has been very positive so far. I am nervous by nature and strangely, this is less daunting than I thought it would be.

I am nervous about asking silly questions to the Hero's and elders. I like those names by the way, even if youngling sits poorly with me with it's gawyn connections.

o_o

KAWAIIIIIIIIII

*Hugs Unwise*

Can I keep her?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-06-2015, 06:05 AM
I just looked at it. WoW!That is an extensive reading list. I would love to get some of them read.

I only picked up the Wheel on a whim while back packing in peru. It was on the hostel library shelf and the person who left it wrote a lovely message so I tried it and I've loved it since. Took me four years to read them all!
:D I always have to tell myself not to get discouraged at the list of all those awesome books, I don't *have* to read all of them, nor even to like all of them :)

ShadowbaneX
02-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Thanx.

Yeah, chances are you'll annoy people regardless, so you might as well go ahead and get over that. We're fairly harmless unless you bring up Two Souls.

Well, I would append Asmo's killer to that (I still think we should have had that t-shirt made...think "I'm with stupid" only replace 'stupid' with 'Asmo's killer') and who Demandred's masquerading as but both of those were solved, so now we can just point to things.

Actually, even the Two Soul thing is pretty much resolved, but some of those types are tenacious.

You forgot the Ancients, but that's ok, they're fading into myth by this point...hence why the top tier is Heroes because they get remembered.

tl;dr: don't worry about it. TL's much more tame than it used to be. You aren't likely to get flamed unless you really work at it.

Daekyras
02-06-2015, 07:27 AM

Woah! Was it in arequipa? In a hostel called "the point"???????

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Woah! Was it in arequipa? In a hostel called "the point"???????

Arequipa but not the point. Why?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Arequipa but not the point. Why?

wild guess: Daek was backpacking in Peru and in Arequipa he decided to leave behind a WoT book...

Isabel
02-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Would be aweomse if that was the case!
Did you write a message in it , Daek?

The Unreasoner
02-06-2015, 09:10 AM
wild guess: Daek was backpacking in Peru and in Arequipa he decided to leave behind a WoT book...
And this is the essence of Theoryland. Taking the available evidence and running with it.

This is great. Southpaw's gone, and we get Unwise to take his place.

Unwise:
Have you read 'The Strike at Shayol Ghul'?

Daekyras
02-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Would be aweomse if that was the case!
Did you write a message in it , Daek?

I did. As embarassing as it sounds I do(did, really) this quite regularly. I read while travelling and just leave the books behind in hostels with little messages.

If it was Arequipa though I was reading tDR so I left it in the point when I finished. I doubt unwise picked that up and started on the third in the series. Would be awesome if she had.

My inscriptions are always the same for WoT:

Fellow Wanderer,

I left this for you.
There is no rush. Life will still be waiting.

Then I signed it with my initials.
Which would be cool if unwise knew them as I don't think anyone here does(isabel and Frenzy from Christmas cards maybe)

Edit: Yes, I am sometimes a pretentious prick!

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-09-2015, 03:53 AM
I did. As embarassing as it sounds I do(did, really) this quite regularly. I read while travelling and just leave the books behind in hostels with little messages.

If it was Arequipa though I was reading tDR so I left it in the point when I finished. I doubt unwise picked that up and started on the third in the series. Would be awesome if she had.

Fellow Wanderer,

I left this for you.

Which would be cool if unwise knew them as I don't think anyone here does(isabel and Frenzy from Christmas cards maybe)

Oh my God!
It was the dragon Reborn, please tell me your initials are [edited]????

Nae'blis edit: Please use private messaging if you want to confirm personal information.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-09-2015, 03:55 AM
And did I miss something? the website looks...weird. I refreshed a few times but it doesn't change...

Terez
02-09-2015, 03:59 AM
All is explained here (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8519).

yks 6nnetu hing
02-09-2015, 08:26 AM

Fellow Wanderer,

I left this for you.

holy bat on a cracker, I was right!

how awesome is this? very!!!

Daekyras
02-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Oh my God!
It was the dragon Reborn, please tell me your initials are [edited]????

Nae'blis edit: Please use private messaging if you want to confirm personal information.

No, my initials arent edited. Jeebus!

I didnt see what she wrote so I'll guess she was right. Awesome.

Isabel
02-09-2015, 11:04 AM
holy bat on a cracker, I was right!

how awesome is this? very!!!

Wow that is awesome:)

Nazbaque
02-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Alright Daek she followed you here so she is your responsibility. You've got to make sure she behaves and posts in the right places.

Daekyras
02-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Alright Daek she followed you here so she is your responsibility. You've got to make sure she behaves and posts in the right places.

Awwwwww, can we keep her dad?

Also, im probably the worst person to show the ropes here. I barely know the right posting ettiquette as it is!

GonzoTheGreat
02-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Do we have a posting etiquette here?
Why didn't anyone ever tell me?

ShadowbaneX
02-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Do we have a posting etiquette here?
Why didn't anyone ever tell me?
Don't be stupid*.

If you have to be stupid be prepared to accept the consequences.

*this may be a relative term.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-10-2015, 04:38 AM
No, my initials arent edited. Jeebus!

I didnt see what she wrote so I'll guess she was right. Awesome.

Wow. That is really random. I would never have read if you hadn't left the note. Do you remember what you wrote on the bottom after Ps-?

I have a couple of forum
questions- I have a private message at the top of the page, how do I look at it? I hope it wasn't Na'Blis or some other mod? :(

And how did you all get the cool names in you signatures? Warder and all that stuff? It looks like fun. Maybe Daekyras could be my warder? Or Nazbaque?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-10-2015, 04:44 AM
Wow. That is really random. I would never have read if you hadn't left the note. Do you remember what you wrote on the bottom after Ps-?

I have a couple of forum
questions- I have a private message at the top of the page, how do I look at it? I hope it wasn't Na'Blis or some other mod? :(

And how did you all get the cool names in you signatures? Warder and all that stuff? It looks like fun. Maybe Daekyras could be my warder? Or Nazbaque?

Click on "User CP" - you'll get options on the left-hand side of your screen, including editing your signature or avatar.

For PM's, click on Private messages and inbox to see your new private messages.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-10-2015, 04:46 AM
Click on "User CP" - you'll get options on the left-hand side of your screen, including editing your signature or avatar.

For PM's, click on Private messages and inbox to see your new private messages.

Thank you :)

Daekyras
02-10-2015, 05:24 AM

Oh, A green are you? ;)

It depends on what Naz says...

Terez
02-10-2015, 05:29 AM
Naz is already a Warder, to Freya as his sig says. Aes Sedai don't like to share Warders, even Greens. Especially Greens.

Morelikeunwisewoman
02-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Naz is already a Warder, to Freya as his sig says. Aes Sedai don't like to share Warders, even Greens. Especially Greens.

oh, sorry. I didn't realise.

Daekyras
02-10-2015, 05:46 AM
oh, sorry. I didn't realise.

Dont worry about it. And stop apologising. Maybe T could be your warder??

Nazbaque
02-10-2015, 08:57 AM

I could be her sul'dam, though.

Davian93
02-10-2015, 11:45 AM
That is such an awesome story...I wonder what people do with the things I leave in hiking shelters. I've never left a WoT book but maybe I should start...

Daekyras
03-15-2015, 12:34 PM
That is such an awesome story...I wonder what people do with the things I leave in hiking shelters. I've never left a WoT book but maybe I should start...

What do you leave in hiking shelters????

The only things I ever leave are books and some money to cover the damages...

Davian93
03-15-2015, 05:55 PM
What do you leave in hiking shelters????

The only things I ever leave are books and some money to cover the damages...

Whatever I have "extra" in my pack...just depends really. Sometimes is just freeze dried food, or extra 550 cord, extra socks, etc. Figure I've taken enough things myself over the years from the bins that I like to pay it forward. This is especially true if/when I day-hike and know I'm going home the same day. The thru-hikers need that stuff more than I ever will. Other "good" things...drink mix, peanut butter, toilet paper, small bag of rice or beans. I tend to always take a enough out with me for a minimum 72 hours out regardless of whether its a day hike or even just a 2-3 hour jaunt. Because...you never know. Worst case if I fall, break an ankle, etc I want to be able to survive hopefully long enough to be found.

Daekyras
03-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Whatever I have "extra" in my pack...just depends really. Sometimes is just freeze dried food, or extra 550 cord, extra socks, etc. Figure I've taken enough things myself over the years from the bins that I like to pay it forward. This is especially true if/when I day-hike and know I'm going home the same day. The thru-hikers need that stuff more than I ever will. Other "good" things...drink mix, peanut butter, toilet paper, small bag of rice or beans. I tend to always take a enough out with me for a minimum 72 hours out regardless of whether its a day hike or even just a 2-3 hour jaunt. Because...you never know. Worst case if I fall, break an ankle, etc I want to be able to survive hopefully long enough to be found.

Ah, that makes sense. I used to leave books all the time as I'd be bussing it etween towns. I also had a habit of preparing for long trips even on short ones. It would make my friends laugh as my pack could be 6kg heavier than theirs.

I wont tell it hear but if you pm me I'll tell u a tale of my first south america trip when I was 22. Stupidity of the highest order!

Khoram
03-15-2015, 09:11 PM
I wont tell it hear but if you pm me I'll tell u a tale of my first south america trip when I was 22. Stupidity of the highest order!

It can't be worse than climbing where you're not supposed to, getting stung by sea urchins, having the spines break off in your fingers, which then get infected after somebody tried to remove them with a "disinfected" safety pin, only to have your fingers swell to the size of sausages and cause you trouble breathing. Which then prompts a trip to the hospital, in a country where the closest you speak to their language is a language from another country, fully expecting them to have to remove your last two fingers because of how swollen they were.

And yes, this did happen to me. Never climb on the rocks off shore at the beaches in Barcelona.

Besides, saying that it's a stupidity of the highest order makes us all want to hear about it. :p

Davian93
03-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Funnest hike I ever did was a 3 day hike of Mount Saint Helens in Washington state. Just a surreal landscape all around and my hiking partner and I were literally the only people for miles for much of the hike. We went off trail several times so we literally were completely alone on what was a moonscape. We got to hike the crater lip which was fun in its own right too.

Just good times all around.

Figbiscuit
03-26-2015, 11:00 AM

Is it just me that had the first thought that Dav leaves bodies in hiking shelters?

Besides, saying that it's a stupidity of the highest order makes us all want to hear about it. :p

^^this

Welcome along Unwise. I am Fig, pleased to meet you. Although you'd never guess from my appalling sentence structure I am actually a native English speaker. The boards are quieter than they used to be, since the release of the last book but don't let that deter you. We need fresh material to work with so ask away :)

(Oh, and this was my first forum too, in fact it's my only forum to date. I was very nervous when I first joined, and I seem to think there was an argument in my noob thread too. Don't let any of it put you off :cool:)

Davian93
03-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Is it just me that had the first thought that Dav leaves bodies in hiking shelters?

You can't prove that...

SauceyBlueConfetti
03-26-2015, 07:40 PM

Lmao

Figbiscuit
04-09-2015, 10:42 AM
You can't prove that...

I writ it on the internet. Isn't that proof??