PDA

View Full Version : One forum for Theoryland?

Isabel
02-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Hey all,
as everyone knows the boards are slow / slower than they have been before.
Personally when i visit a website and it has multiple forums and there is little activity in all the forums than it doesn't look appealing.

However if there is one forum with multiple threads that are active that looks more interesting to me.

I think that also would work for Theoryland.

What do you all think? ;)

GonzoTheGreat
02-06-2015, 07:37 AM
I think there should still be at least 3 (well, 4) forums:
1. WoT.
2. non-WoT.
3. Archives.
4. Admin.

I don't think we still as many as we have now, though.

Isabel
02-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Why should there be a difference between Wot and non wot?
If you post WOT / NON WOT in the title than it should be clear which it is and makes the forum seen more alive.

ofcourse the archives and the mod forum should still exist:D

Terez
02-06-2015, 07:59 AM
I don't personally like the idea of combining WoT and non-WoT. There are a few forums that could be archived, though.

The Unreasoner
02-06-2015, 08:32 AM
I don't know about one forum, but I would like WoT and Non-WoT combined. I think it would revitalize things, temper out some excesses. Maybe keep rereads (and rererereads) separate.

Uno
02-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Hey all,
as everyone knows the boards are slow / slower than they have been before.
Personally when i visit a website and it has multiple forums and there is little activity in all the forum than it doesn't look appealing.

However if there is one forum with multiple threads that are active that looks more interesting to me.

I think that also would work for Theoryland.

What do you all think? ;)

It's not a bad idea. You should suggest it to Tamyrlin.

Sarevok
02-06-2015, 11:54 AM
I don't personally like the idea of combining WoT and non-WoT. There are a few forums that could be archived, though.

This. :)

Marie Curie 7
02-06-2015, 11:59 AM
I am not in favor of combining the WoT and Non-WoT forums.

First, with the WoT Companion coming out later this year, it is likely that WoT discussion will pick up somewhat, at least for a time before and after the release.

Second, from a moderation standpoint, combining WoT and Non-WoT would make things more complicated since the Chosen currently do not moderate Non-WoT discussion (and not speaking for all the Chosen, but I know I don't particularly care to moderate Non-WoT).

And finally, personally I still care more about WoT discussion here than I do about Non-WoT. I read Non-WoT, too, but I don't usually pay that much attention to it. I think I would find it rather annoying to have WoT and Non-WoT jumbled together.

That being said, there are perhaps some forums that could be archived and some rearrangements made that would be a bit less drastic than combining WoT and Non-WoT. For example, we were finally able to get the HWLA to archive the AMoL Discussion and AMoL Book Tour forums recently...

Tamyrlin
02-06-2015, 12:08 PM
That being said, there are perhaps some forums that could be archived and some rearrangements made that would be a bit less drastic than combining WoT and Non-WoT. For example, we were finally able to get the HWLA to archive the AMoL Discussion and AMoL Book Tour forums recently...

I totally did!

Hmm...more consolidation...

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Well THAT scared the cheese and crackers out of me. Tam actually is reading the boards. ALL the boards.

What the what????

Tamyrlin
02-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Three more dropped into Archives. A few re-ordered, and I'm open to consolidating down Sanderson, General Other Books, and Fan Fiction into maybe one overarching grouping, though I can archive Fan Fiction if that looks to be something that the group is no longer spending time on.

As far as the others, I see 2015 in most, if not all of what remains, so I'm inclined to see how they move before consolidating even more.

Tamyrlin
02-06-2015, 12:31 PM
I consolidated the Other Books discussions, and I found a GRRM forum I never opened and threw it in there if any one is interested in discussing his series and the HBO series.

Sarevok
02-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Wow... Tam's actually busy!

TL looks different now, will take a while to get used to. :)

Uno
02-06-2015, 01:58 PM
I suppose this works, but one forum might be worth considering at some point. That's how our layout used to be, after all, and I don't think it was that difficult to deal with. It should be possible to have WOT threads marked as such, and, at any rate, what's convenient or inconvenient for moderators is a matter of small importance. The position of moderator exists for the for the forum, not the other way around.

Marie Curie 7
02-06-2015, 02:35 PM
I suppose this works, but one forum might be worth considering at some point. That's how our layout used to be, after all, and I don't think it was that difficult to deal with. It should be possible to have WOT threads marked as such, and, at any rate, what's convenient or inconvenient for moderators is a matter of small importance. The position of moderator exists for the for the forum, not the other way around.

I wasn't referring to what is convenient or inconvenient for the moderators with regard to the idea of merging the forums into one. I was referring to the existing structure of moderators at Theoryland, where Non-WoT is (only lightly) moderated by Nae'blis and WoT and the other book forums are moderated by the Chosen. I assume that structure would have to change if the switch was made to one forum.

Weird Harold
02-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Makes no difference to me. My entry point to Theoryland is the "New Posts" search link: http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/search.php?do=getnew

That ignores forums and shows all posts since my last visit. The number and title of forums is irrelevant.

Davian93
02-06-2015, 06:37 PM
I'd be okay with the initial one forum proposal. It's time to downsize around here anyway with all the kids away at college and whatnot.

Khoram
02-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Ahh! It's... changed!? :O

Actually, it looks pretty good. Not as cluttered. More streamlined. :D

Davian93
02-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Ahh! It's... changed!? :O

Actually, it looks pretty good. Not as cluttered. More streamlined. :D

It completely threw me off when I was scrolling to a certain forum and it was gone. Its been the same for so long.

I like it though...much cleaner. Now we just need to come up with some more book series or discussion topics to keep the place going and/or reinvigorate it.

I dont want TL to die.

Khoram
02-06-2015, 08:07 PM
It better not die. I've spent too much time posting and lurking for it to disappear.

Itdefinitely caught me off guard. I had seen Isabel's post, and had it in the back of my mind, but I didn't think it would come about this quickly. XD

Uno
02-06-2015, 08:22 PM
I wasn't referring to what is convenient or inconvenient for the moderators with regard to the idea of merging the forums into one. I was referring to the existing structure of moderators at Theoryland, where Non-WoT is (only lightly) moderated by Nae'blis and WoT and the other book forums are moderated by the Chosen. I assume that structure would have to change if the switch was made to one forum.

Then we can change the structure and get new moderators if they're not up to the job. That is not a problem.

Terez
02-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Then we can change the structure and get new moderators if they're not up to the job. That is not a problem.
Have you been drinking again? You appear to be having a difficult time understanding what Marie is saying.

Uno
02-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Have you been drinking again? You appear to be having a difficult time understanding what Marie is saying.

What are you talking about? One forum is not a conceptual difficulty, is it? Moderators can easily take care of that, as they have done before. If the current moderators don't feel up to the task, we can get new ones. That is all.

Terez
02-06-2015, 08:39 PM
What are you talking about? One forum is not a conceptual difficulty, is it? Moderators can easily take care of that, as they have done before. If the current moderators don't feel up to the task, we can get new ones. That is all.
This is what I mean. You don't understand what she's saying. She never said the moderators weren't up to the task, just that it might interfere with the hierarchy that bossman had in mind when he set up the separation. She and the other moderators will, I'm sure, be happy to moderate in whatever way they are asked.

Uno
02-06-2015, 08:40 PM
This is what I mean. You don't understand what she's saying. She never said the moderators weren't up to the task, just that it might interfere with the hierarchy that bossman had in mind when he set up the separation. She and the other moderators will, I'm sure, be happy to moderate in whatever way they are asked.

Then wherein lies the problem? Why even bring it up?

Terez
02-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Because bossman made his preferences concerning that hierarchy clear. Isa's suggestion did not seem to take those preferences into account, so Marie pointed out the potential problem.

Uno
02-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Because bossman made his preferences concerning that hierarchy clear. Isa's suggestion did not seem to take those preferences into account, so Marie pointed out the potential problem.

Hardly a difficulty at all. Barely worth mentioning. But I do happen to know that moderating Non-wot was not considered part of the job of the moderators, and, indeed, they expressed strong reservations on that head, so naturally if the boards are merged, they will either have to agree to take on new tasks or hand the position over to others.

Davian93
02-06-2015, 09:11 PM

I think she's aware of that but let's remember that the system we've currently been using is at least 4-5 years old probably and the board has radically changed. So to change it again or at least suggest that it could be a neat idea is hardly a radical line of thought.

Even if all the posts were jumbled together, I'm sure the current Moderators could easily differentiate between Wot threads and non-Wot threads when it comes to moderating and treat them differently.

Terez
02-06-2015, 09:21 PM
I think she's aware of that but let's remember that the system we've currently been using is at least 4-5 years old probably and the board has radically changed. So to change it again or at least suggest that it could be a neat idea is hardly a radical line of thought.
I never said it was. I don't think Marie did either. I just don't happen to like it, personally, though I had already thought along the lines of trimming things down a bit and I'm glad Isa brought it up.

Davian93
02-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I never said it was. I don't think Marie did either. I just don't happen to like it, personally, though I had already thought along the lines of trimming things down a bit and I'm glad Isa brought it up.

I am pretty much happy with the cleaning up that our Fearless Leader just did too.

We might be able to dump the Newbie board into the Non-Wot Board too with just a thread stickied to the top....I mean, the last time there was a post was 09/14/2014 and our most recent newbie just came to the Non-Wot anyway.

If we're still paring stuff down that is. Same with maybe the Re-read Board getting dumped into the Gen-Wot board actually.

Isabel
02-06-2015, 11:24 PM
Woohoo Tam did something :D

BTW, Tam, please consider combining more boards.
do monitor the boards and if there is no activity on a board please consider combining it.

Theoryland seems to become more active. Like 4 threads in which people post. It's only a shame that it is divided over so many boards, so that it seems empty.

GonzoTheGreat
02-07-2015, 04:02 AM
Hardly a difficulty at all. Barely worth mentioning. But I do happen to know that moderating Non-wot was not considered part of the job of the moderators, and, indeed, they expressed strong reservations on that head, so naturally if the boards are merged, they will either have to agree to take on new tasks or hand the position over to others.
None of which answers the question: should that board be moderated or not and if so, to what extend?

That's the real question in this proposal.
At the moment we have a situation where there are three* different moderation schemes for three* different types of forums. There's Non, there is the New Members forum, and there are all the other forums. If those are merged, which rules would then be followed henceforth?

* Or maybe four, if you count the Admin board too, and if that is moderated any differently from the non-board.

Daekyras
02-07-2015, 10:55 AM
None of which answers the question: should that board be moderated or not and if so, to what extend?

That's the real question in this proposal.
At the moment we have a situation where there are three* different moderation schemes for three* different types of forums. There's Non, there is the New Members forum, and there are all the other forums. If those are merged, which rules would then be followed henceforth?

* Or maybe four, if you count the Admin board too, and if that is moderated any differently from the non-board.

This may sound controversial- do the mods do anything at the minute?

I mean that with the dwindling user base most of the regular/semi regular patrons are pretty good and seem to behave. (Except for weird harold. Troublemaker).

So are the admins kept busy or is it just a title thing? NB I have never moderated or admined a website so am kinda curious....

Davian93
02-07-2015, 11:59 AM
This may sound controversial- do the mods do anything at the minute?

I mean that with the dwindling user base most of the regular/semi regular patrons are pretty good and seem to behave. (Except for weird harold. Troublemaker).

So are the admins kept busy or is it just a title thing? NB I have never moderated or admined a website so am kinda curious....

They deal with spambots, they handle things behind the scenes, they PM people that start to cross the line. You'd definitely notice it if they went away.

A well-Modded board is much the same as a well-policed town...you don't notice them and you also don't notice any issues that you'd think require a Mod.

~jumps on Security soapbox~

As a security professional (so weird to be an adult sometimes and have a career), one of the biggest issues we run into in the industry is convincing a company, entity, organization, individual, etc that we are needed. They say "You can't show me any incidents that occurred during your contract". Well, a big part of that is simply being a visible deterrence and having a visible deterrence set up whether it is fences, razor-wire, CCTV systems, motion alarms & lights, glass-break sensors, armed guards, good lighting (honestly one of the biggest and cheapest security measures one can use), and a million other things that fall under that portion of the security disciplines. Modding is the same way a lot of the time. You don't see the spam and the huge throw downs because the Mods are doing their jobs and they don't play favorites by any means. I know, for example, that I've been pulled up short by them before and obviously I'm one of the most active posters here and I've been here over a decade. There is no "older posters vs newer posters" divide here where the Mods would automatically take the older posters' side...that is rare when it comes to internet bulletin boards. Most of the time, the board is highly cliquish and the Mods will boot anyone that disagrees with the group consensus whereas here, debate is welcomed (well, at least intelligent reasoned debate is).

Ivhon
02-07-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm for a WoT forum, Non-Wot forum, TAR (possibly to be rolled into non-wot in the future), and whatever admin/mod forums are needed to keep the place running smoothly.

Uno
02-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Ok, I've been moderating Theoryland on and off for longer than anyone (apart from Frenzy, I suppose), and, no, there's not especially much to do, so don't let the workload scare you if you're considering throwing your hat in the ring at some point.

Daekyras
02-08-2015, 06:08 AM
Ok, I've been moderating Theoryland on and off for longer than anyone (apart from Frenzy, I suppose), and, no, there's not especially much to do, so don't let the workload scare you if you're considering throwing your hat in the ring at some point.

Id love to uno but as a mere elder I feel like it would be inappropriate. If only I had my proper title under my username.....

p.s I have no desires to be a moderator. I would go mad with the power.

DahLliA
02-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Just give everyone mod powers and then lean back and watch the chaos!

yks 6nnetu hing
02-10-2015, 03:17 AM
They deal with spambots, they handle things behind the scenes, they PM people that start to cross the line. You'd definitely notice it if they went away.

A well-Modded board is much the same as a well-policed town...you don't notice them and you also don't notice any issues that you'd think require a Mod.

~jumps on Security soapbox~

As a security professional (so weird to be an adult sometimes and have a career), one of the biggest issues we run into in the industry is convincing a company, entity, organization, individual, etc that we are needed. They say "You can't show me any incidents that occurred during your contract". Well, a big part of that is simply being a visible deterrence and having a visible deterrence set up whether it is fences, razor-wire, CCTV systems, motion alarms & lights, glass-break sensors, armed guards, good lighting (honestly one of the biggest and cheapest security measures one can use), and a million other things that fall under that portion of the security disciplines. Modding is the same way a lot of the time. You don't see the spam and the huge throw downs because the Mods are doing their jobs and they don't play favorites by any means. I know, for example, that I've been pulled up short by them before and obviously I'm one of the most active posters here and I've been here over a decade. There is no "older posters vs newer posters" divide here where the Mods would automatically take the older posters' side...that is rare when it comes to internet bulletin boards. Most of the time, the board is highly cliquish and the Mods will boot anyone that disagrees with the group consensus whereas here, debate is welcomed (well, at least intelligent reasoned debate is).

This.

Speaking for myself, I am NOT interested in modding the Non-WoT discussion. Modding anything is pretty tough if you want to do it right and be as impartial as you can. It sometimes means cracking down on people that you like and agree with... but they're breaking the rules, so you have to.

pfft, at this point we're almost all "older posters" and there are so few newbies, they get easily assimilated into the group.

Daekyras
02-10-2015, 03:53 AM
This.

It sometimes means cracking down on people that you like and agree with... but they're breaking the rules, so you have to.

I read that as Cracking on to people. oh you mods...

yks 6nnetu hing
02-10-2015, 04:02 AM
I read that as Cracking on to people. oh you mods...

and now I read my own text and it read as: they're breaking the rules so we have to [break the rules]. I obviously meant that if people break the rules, we have to obey the rules and call people to order - even if we agree with the point those people are trying to make.

GonzoTheGreat
02-10-2015, 04:07 AM
I'm not quite sure you're correct about that either.
Now you're suggesting that you would have been quite willing to arrest Rosa Parks for breaking the rules and "sitting in front of the bus while black".

Sometimes it is the rules that are wrong, after all, and a sensible Mod (police officer, whatever) notices that in such a case it is the rules that have to give way. I'll admit not all authority figures are sensible in this regard, but I think that you are, so I suspect that you're still misrepresenting your own position.

Nazbaque
02-10-2015, 04:26 AM
Whenever I see the title of this thread I keep thinking:

One forum for Theoryland,
One forum to find them.
One forum to bring them all
And in the madness bind them.

Daekyras
02-10-2015, 04:26 AM
I'm not quite sure you're correct about that either.
Now you're suggesting that you would have been quite willing to arrest Rosa Parks for breaking the rules and "sitting in front of the bus while black".

Sometimes it is the rules that are wrong, after all, and a sensible Mod (police officer, whatever) notices that in such a case it is the rules that have to give way. I'll admit not all authority figures are sensible in this regard, but I think that you are, so I suspect that you're still misrepresenting your own position.

Well, she did technically break the law. That police officer wouldn't have to feel good about what he did but it is his job to uphold the law.

Obviously that is an extreme example though.
A better example would be if picking up hitch hikers was illegal(In some states it is?) but you pass someone in a storm and pick them up. (insert six minute abs joke here)

If a trooper sees you he should write you up. It might have been the "decent thing" for you to do but you have broken the law...

yks 6nnetu hing
02-10-2015, 04:49 AM
yes well, in the case of TL, the mods happen to be the legislative branch in addition to the executive and judiciary... so if it turns out that a rule is wrong, we'll just change it :p

Brita
02-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Wait a minute....WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE!

When did you take my name off your signature Davian? I am offended and hurt. Most of all, I am disappointed. So disappointed...

I mean sure, I haven't been around much, and it's true I hardly ever post. And ya, maybe our online rapport has faded into the annals of time. And I guess you could say that even the whole bonding thing is a little passe...

But still, how could you?!?

Daekyras
02-10-2015, 11:14 AM

When did you take my name off your signature Davian? I am offended and hurt. Most of all, I am disappointed. So disappointed...

I mean sure, I haven't been around much, and it's true I hardly ever post. And ya, maybe our online rapport has faded into the annals of time. And I guess you could say that even the whole bonding thing is a little passe...

Perhaps he is simply "masking the bond"?

Funnily enough, thisbis the second thread today to mention bondings etc. I never really thought of them before. Cool idea from the early days I assume?

Davian93
02-10-2015, 11:47 AM

I did?!? It wasn't on purpose. I was messing around with my sig last week so maybe I deleted it by accident.

~goes to fix it~

Brita
02-10-2015, 12:01 PM
I did?!? It wasn't on purpose. I was messing around with my sig last week so maybe I deleted it by accident.

~goes to fix it~

Oh thank god. I was just stepping to the edge of the cliff when I thought I would check the forum one last time. Good thing I did!