PDA

View Full Version : no superbowl thread?

Daekyras
02-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Hey guys,

I cant believe there was not a single superbowl thread. Was I the only one whowatched it???

Khoram
02-07-2015, 11:19 AM
I watched a super bowl of chili disappear before my very eyes. Does that count? :p

I watched. I was amazed by that catch by the Seahawks towards the end. And even more so by Butler's interception. Crazy. :eek:

ShadowbaneX
02-07-2015, 11:24 AM
I didn't watch. I didn't care. That bowl of chili sounds much more interesting.

Nazbaque
02-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Well personally I don't really like the team sports that involve violent tactics no matter how harshly they are penalised. On top of that if I ignore this and try to enjoy watching it violence and all, American football is just a watered down version of rugby. Either way I have much more respect for the practitioners of martial arts as that often involves philosophy aswell. Aside from that I find it amusing in an ironic way that baseball is perhaps the least violent team sport yet the bat with which it is played is such an icon of street violence.

Davian93
02-07-2015, 11:52 AM
As a lover of almost all sports, I watched and enjoyed it. It was one of the better SBs in recent memory. A hard-fought game that came down to almost the very last play.

I agree there are more interesting "violent" sports...rugby comes to mind especially if one were choosing to play one or the other. Rugby, of course, doesn't translate as well to the television screen. Other great sports that don't get enough exposure:

Irish Hurling
Irish Football
Australian Rules Football
Lacrosse

Hurling, IMHO, is pretty much the most ridiculously awesome sport there is to watch.

Khoram
02-07-2015, 12:08 PM
I have absolutely no idea what hurling is about. :confused:

Davian93
02-07-2015, 12:13 PM

It's kind of like full-contact field hockey but with some twists. It's pretty crazy to watch.

I'm sure Daek can provide a better explanation than that. I got to watch a few games when I was there two years ago and I was completely hooked.

ShadowbaneX
02-07-2015, 05:51 PM
It's what happens after an eating contest.

Khoram
02-07-2015, 07:44 PM
It's what happens after an eating contest.

And a drinking contest, too.

Terez
02-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Hurling is best done naked.

GonzoTheGreat
02-08-2015, 03:41 AM
No wardrobe malfunction, so I do not understand what there could possible be to discuss in regards to the Super Bowl this year. Can anyone enlighten me?

Terez
02-08-2015, 03:50 AM
No wardrobe malfunction, so I do not understand what there could possible be to discuss in regards to the Super Bowl this year. Can anyone enlighten me?
There's always Deflategate.

(I didn't watch it. We got a ton of snow, so I made a snowdiva and then went to bed.)

Daekyras
02-08-2015, 06:02 AM
There's always Deflategate.

(I didn't watch it. We got a ton of snow, so I made a snowdiva and then went to bed.)

Whats a snowdiva?

Deflategate is hilarious. Loved hearing it.

naked hurling? We havent done that in a long time. Or if itwas cold a medium time.

As for describing hurling- very tough.

15 a side. One goalie, 6 defenders, 2 midfielders, 6 attackers.

Its basically a game with 15 one on one battles. The ball is about the size of a tennis ball and close to baseball hard. The hurley sticks are about the length of a golf club and are wider at the top- for striking ball and man.

this game is fast. Very fast. The ball can travel 100m in under four seconds.
The goal is shaped like a rugby goal. Above the bar is worth 1point. Under the bar and in the net gives you three points.

I have played a lot of sport in my life (a few at quite a high level) and I have never played anything like it. As fast as ice hockey, as tough as lacrosse and as violent as the ref will allow. I love it.

Sarevok
02-08-2015, 06:43 AM

Just google Left Shark. :D

GonzoTheGreat
02-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Whats a snowdiva?
Snow diva (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=226055&postcount=98). With functioning wardrobe, I notice.

Just google Left Shark. :D
I did ask, I admit. I shouldn't have done so, probably. However, I'm not sure this is what Siddhartha Gautama had in mind with "enlightenment".

Daekyras
02-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Snow diva (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=226055&postcount=98). With functioning wardrobe, I notice.".

Affirmative action gone mad. Won't someone think of the children!!

GonzoTheGreat
02-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Affirmative action gone mad. Won't someone think of the children!!
I don't think it is affirmative action, I think that it is more a case of déformation professionnelle. I didn't know the English term for this (in Dutch it is beroepsdeformatie), so I had to look it up using Wikipedia (which is often useful for translation purposes, though sometimes it goes widely wrong with that).

It is an interesting question what "the children" would think of this. Presumably, enough posters here have provided their own to put this question to to get some kind of tentative answer. I'm not sure enough of those kids can be bothered to look at their parent's computer screens, though.

Kimon
02-08-2015, 10:58 AM

Its basically a game with 15 one on one battles. The ball is about the size of a tennis ball and close to baseball hard. The hurley sticks are about the length of a golf club and are wider at the top- for striking ball and man.

The goal is shaped like a rugby goal. Above the bar is worth 1point. Under the bar and in the net gives you three points.

I have played a lot of sport in my life (a few at quite a high level) and I have never played anything like it. As fast as ice hockey, as tough as lacrosse and as violent as the ref will allow. I love it.

Is the size of the field essentially the same as a soccer (or football if you prefer) field? Looks like it from a quick glance at wikipedia. It definitely looks somewhat similar to field hockey, albeit on a much larger field, and with a lot more people playing.

Field hockey over here seems to be a girl only sport, although incredibly violent. It is very odd to watch pretty college girls playing what looks like hockey on grass, but with a shorter stick, no helmet, or cage - both of which are mandated by college hockey for both men and women. Hard to imagine how they could survive a few years of playing and still have more than a few teeth.

GonzoTheGreat
02-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Sharks can grow new teeth.

Davian93
02-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Whats a snowdiva?

Deflategate is hilarious. Loved hearing it.

naked hurling? We havent done that in a long time. Or if itwas cold a medium time.

That is basically how I remember it from watching it. It looks like it'd be awesome to play.