PDA

View Full Version : X4 games

Daekyras
02-08-2015, 06:22 AM
Ok, not trying to spam the board with topics but want to ask you guys something.

I have never been a huge computer game guy. I dabbled and have played quite a few over the years but there is a long list of started games that I never finished and almost as many games that I bought and never played as there are books in the "in time" pile.

Well, recently I got an injury trying to play football like a man in his twenties and my body just not up to it anymore. Tore my groin which left me with copipus amounts of sitting on my ass time.

so I started digging through that pile and I came across a game called "masters of orion 2" from 1996. I jave become hooked. It is so deceptively simple and yet wonderfully complex.

its the first time ive loaded up a 4X game in a long time and wonder if any of ye have played it and are there other examples you could recommend?

It is so addictive I started playing on my lunch break- something I have never done. I used to jog! Silly groin.

Isabel
02-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Sorry, I don't know that game ;)

Also I don't own an xbox or playstation, so only a normal pc.

Res_Ipsa
02-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Ok, not trying to spam the board with topics but want to ask you guys something.

I have never been a huge computer game guy. I dabbled and have played quite a few over the years but there is a long list of started games that I never finished and almost as many games that I bought and never played as there are books in the "in time" pile.

Well, recently I got an injury trying to play football like a man in his twenties and my body just not up to it anymore. Tore my groin which left me with copipus amounts of sitting on my ass time.

so I started digging through that pile and I came across a game called "masters of orion 2" from 1996. I jave become hooked. It is so deceptively simple and yet wonderfully complex.

its the first time ive loaded up a 4X game in a long time and wonder if any of ye have played it and are there other examples you could recommend?

It is so addictive I started playing on my lunch break- something I have never done. I used to jog! Silly groin.

Master of Orion is considered to be one of the greatest PC games of all time, for good reason. I never played 2 (didn't know there was one). For myself, I am a huge fan of the Civ series, Civ III is my personal favorite. If you like the science fiction aspect, I would recommend Alpha Centauri (made by the same guy who made the Civ games).

The Civ series recently went back to science fiction with Civ: After Earth. Any of these would be a great game for you to pick up. If you like RTSs, Total Annihilation, Planetary Annihilation, Supreme Commander. Also, Sins of a Solar Empire and Homeworld are great games.

Daekyras
02-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Master of Orion is considered to be one of the greatest PC games of all time, for good reason. I never played 2 (didn't know there was one). For myself, I am a huge fan of the Civ series, Civ III is my personal favorite. If you like the science fiction aspect, I would recommend Alpha Centauri (made by the same guy who made the Civ games).

The Civ series recently went back to science fiction with Civ: After Earth. Any of these would be a great game for you to pick up. If you like RTSs, Total Annihilation, Planetary Annihilation, Supreme Commander. Also, Sins of a Solar Empire and Homeworld are great games.

Master of orion comes in the bundle with this. I bought it after an intern recommended it (turns out they are more useful than even clinton thought).

He said that the first was great but that 2 was so good he became addicted. I now know why. It is fantastically addictive.

I will definitely check out Civ in the future if I have to sit around for lunch fpr much longer.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-09-2015, 02:30 AM
Silly groin.

ah the fun of taking quotes out of context :D

The Civ series is fun, I rather like the After Earth one. I didn't think I would (at least, not to this extent) but I really love Diablo III on PlayStation (did not like it that much on PC). Or, if you like MMORPG's at all, you could give Guild Wars a shot ;) there's a bunch of TL'ers playing with varying intensity.

DahLliA
02-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Not really 4X, but Europa Universalis IV is an awesome strategy game if you got plenty of spare time.
It's also pretty educational about history between 1440 and 1821 and geography :p

And I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but if you can afford it (only available as a bundle with the game + 3,5 expansions, so a bit pricey) Distant Worlds: Universe (http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470) looks like it could be the best 4X space game.