PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Comedy Central?

Kimon
02-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Jon Stewart announced his retirement from The Daily Show today - will leave before the end of the year. Considering that Colbert already left, and the only natural replacement for either, John Oliver, went to HBO, their late night line-up will soon be crickets.
Hopefully Colbert's new "Letterman" Show will work out well, as now that seems like the only late night option.

Terez
02-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Jon Stewart announced his retirement from The Daily Show today - will leave before the end of the year. Considering that Colbert already left, and the only natural replacement for either, John Oliver, went to HBO, their late night line-up will soon be crickets.
Hopefully Colbert's new "Letterman" Show will work out well, as now that seems like the only late night option.
I think it is a good time for Jon Stewart to go. I have loved watching him for a long time but there are a good number of political comedians who know their shit better than he does, Colbert and Oliver being prime examples. And I'm sure Oliver will get a nightly show just as soon as Stewart retires, and we'll have a replacement for the Daily Show whether it's on Comedy Central or not. And while I'm looking forward to Colbert out of character, that format of late-night show has never been my thing.

Honestly, Stewart wouldn't have allowed Oliver to fill in for him for so long unless he was planning on retiring soon. Stewart is good...good enough to have known that Oliver was going to show him up, and big time.

I think that, if Oliver does replace Stewart on the Daily Show, they should make it an hour-long show.

Kimon
02-10-2015, 08:32 PM
I think it is a good time for Jon Stewart to go. I have loved watching him for a long time but there are a good number of political comedians who know their shit better than he does, Colbert and Oliver being prime examples. And I'm sure Oliver will get a nightly show just as soon as Stewart retires, and we'll have a replacement for the Daily Show whether it's on Comedy Central or not. And while I'm looking forward to Colbert out of character, that format of late-night show has never been my thing.

Honestly, Stewart wouldn't have allowed Oliver to fill in for him for so long unless he was planning on retiring soon. Stewart is good...good enough to have known that Oliver was going to show him up, and big time.

I think that, if Oliver does replace Stewart on the Daily Show, they should make it an hour-long show.

Oliver would be excellent as the new anchor of the Daily Show, but would he want to do it? Right now he has a half-hour Sunday night show doing essentially the exact same thing, but just once a week. Comedy Central will have a gaping hole to fill, and let's be honest, Wilmore, isn't capable of filling it, he could maybe hold an audience that had already been watching Stewart, but he isn't capable of pulling people away from Colbert or Fallon. Too bad, as I much prefer the satire/politics type shows - like The Daily Show, Colbert, Real Time with Bill Maher, and John Oliver's new show - to the more traditional network late night shows. Not quite sure what to expect yet from Colbert with his new show. He's very entertaining, just not certain that he'll be as good if he tries to conform to the old template.

Terez
02-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Oliver would be excellent as the new anchor of the Daily Show, but would he want to do it? Right now he has a half-hour Sunday night show doing essentially the exact same thing, but just once a week.
But how much is he getting paid for it? Jon Stewart was making 25-30 million a year, and while I doubt Oliver would start out that high, even if he gets 15 million it's probably a lot more than he's getting from HBO. And why wouldn't he get more than 15? He came very close in 2013 (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/john-oliver-kept-jon-stewarts-607418) to matching Jon Stewart's ratings for the same time period the year before, which was an election year. I for one would watch the show just as faithfully, perhaps even more so.

PS: I suspect this was the plan all along. Oliver took the HBO gig as a temporary thing until Stewart was ready to retire.

fionwe1987
02-10-2015, 09:47 PM
I hope Oliver takes over. But if not, I want a woman in that slot. Just not sure who.

Terez
02-10-2015, 09:50 PM
That's the problem; no women that I can think of have the established reputation to do it, aside from a few associated with SNL (who are probably not interested in the job). It pretty much has to be Oliver, or the show really will die.

Kimon
02-10-2015, 10:05 PM
That's the problem; no women that I can think of have the established reputation to do it, aside from a few associated with SNL (who are probably not interested in the job). It pretty much has to be Oliver, or the show really will die.

Tina Fey or Alison Brie could probably do it, but yeah, probably wouldn't be interested. Sarah Silverman probably would, but would also perhaps be too controversial.

Daekyras
02-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Tina Fey or Alison Brie could probably do it, but yeah, probably wouldn't be interested. Sarah Silverman probably would, but would also perhaps be too controversial.

As a segue and not completely relevant I find Alison Brie incredibly attractive...I don't usually crush on people but Dammmmnnnnnnn.

Davian93
02-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Oliver is awesome in his current format and, to be fair to Stewart, its a lot harder to write 4 shows a week than just 1. Oliver isn't as beholden to sponsors like Stewart has to be too since he's on HBO instead of regular Cable.

Stewart is a titan of the genre but its been pretty clear the past 6 months or so that he's simply burnt out doing this gig...one that he's done for over 15 years now.

But yes, CC took a massive blow with this announcement.

Davian93
02-11-2015, 07:14 AM
I hope Oliver takes over. But if not, I want a woman in that slot. Just not sure who.

Why? I mean other than "because it's time" or something stupid like that. Why would you specifically "want a woman" there?

Daekyras
02-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Why? I mean other than "because it's time" or something stupid like that. Why would you specifically "want a woman" there?

Then you got these lady comics talking about stuff that would embarrass Redd Foxx- God rest his smutty soul.
Who they slept with.
What time they sit on the can.
- This is supposed to get you a husband?

Kimon
02-11-2015, 04:48 PM

Certainly if the decision is prompted purely by 2 questions - who would be the best fit for the show, and who would do the best job. Clearly the answer is John Oliver. That said, Tina Fey would probably be better than any other option. John Oliver is way more likely however than Tina Fey to want the job. I think part of the question with him, is whether HBO or Comedy Central can afford to pay more. Probably HBO.

Davian93
02-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Certainly if the decision is prompted purely by 2 questions - who would be the best fit for the show, and who would do the best job. Clearly the answer is John Oliver. That said, Tina Fey would probably be better than any other option. John Oliver is way more likely however than Tina Fey to want the job. I think part of the question with him, is whether HBO or Comedy Central can afford to pay more. Probably HBO.

He's much better on HBO...I'd rather he stay there.

Terez
02-11-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't. 30 minutes a week is more annoying than entertaining.

I don't have HBO, but I've been watching the segments they put online. They are good, but he was every bit as good when he was hosting the Daily Show. Not so much as a correspondent, but then, the correspondent segments of the Daily Show have always been weak. They are only funny about half the time. The strongest segment is typically the opening segment, and Oliver rocked it.

HBO might be able to afford to pay more, but that doesn't mean they are paying more. And I suspect Oliver actually wants the Daily Show job, and that if he didn't want it, Stewart probably wouldn't be retiring now.

Terez
02-11-2015, 10:35 PM
By the way, I only just now watched his announcement speech. He cited at one of his main reasons for leaving that it was time for someone else to have the opportunity. That would also seem to point to Oliver.

fionwe1987
02-11-2015, 11:23 PM

Amy Pohler is recently free from Parks and Rec. She'd be awesome at it.

Because comedy is about perspective. So much about the farce that is politics today is handled from the perspective of men. A woman riffing on their idiocies will make for excellent comedy.

Plus, there are some really funny women out there, and I'd love to see them take this on. So yes, its a bit of "because it's time", but also because I genuinely think they'll be funny, and different.

Oliver is good where he is. No sponsors. Complete creative control. Just once a week. And the prestige of HBO. He won't give that up.

Davian93
02-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Amy Pohler is recently free from Parks and Rec

No.

I don't have HBO, but I've been watching the segments they put online. They are good, but he was every bit as good when he was hosting the Daily Show. Not so much as a correspondent, but then, the correspondent segments of the Daily Show have always been weak. They are only funny about half the time. The strongest segment is typically the opening segment, and Oliver rocked it.

Did you watch his Net Neutrality piece? Epic slamming of people he likely can't do if he's on cable. He has more leeway on HBO than he would at CC. No sponsors to please.

Terez
02-12-2015, 08:57 AM
I don't really buy into that argument so much. There have been times when Stewart has slammed a sponsor, and then commented on the fact that they were a sponsor (like, oops, sorry-not-sorry).

Nazbaque
02-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Because comedy is about perspective. So much about the farce that is politics today is handled from the perspective of men. A woman riffing on their idiocies will make for excellent comedy.

There is no such thing as THE male(or female) perspective. The best you can get is a perspective of either sex in a specific culture. The only global constants are directly related to women being the ones who get pregnant.

Daekyras
02-12-2015, 09:13 AM
There is no such thing as THE male(or female) perspective. The best you can get is a perspective of either sex in a specific culture. The only global constants are directly related to women being the ones who get pregnant.

I feel like I must point you in the direction of a wonderful documentary I saw a few years ago that would contradict you my friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_(1994_film)

Nazbaque
02-12-2015, 09:27 AM
I feel like I must point you in the direction of a wonderful documentary I saw a few years ago that would contradict you my friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_(1994_film)

Oh man this going to be the Tooth Fairy all over again! And Santa. And Leprechauns. And the Easter Bunny.

Look son, it is of course a fact that in order to find better ways of doing things we must try different ways no matter how silly they seem at first. But there are also sick and twisted individuals who will use this as an excuse to do some truly horrible things just because they get a perverted kick out of it. So this is the reality: Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't exist.

Daekyras
02-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Oh man this going to be the Tooth Fairy all over again! And Santa. And Leprechauns. And the Easter Bunny.

Look son, it is of course a fact that in order to find better ways of doing things we must try different ways no matter how silly they seem at first. But there are also sick and twisted individuals who will use this as an excuse to do some truly horrible things just because they get a perverted kick out of it. So this is the reality: Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't exist.

What? What? But Dad...What about commando and Predator and Kindergarden Cop? They weren't a dream.

And what about those sweeping reforms he made when he was the governor? Oh wait, I see....

Mort
02-12-2015, 11:27 AM
I like John Olivers new show on HBO. If Oliver got the gig, I would miss his weekly show.

Not sure they could fill a daily show with (good) material for an hour though.

Davian93
02-12-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't really buy into that argument so much. There have been times when Stewart has slammed a sponsor, and then commented on the fact that they were a sponsor (like, oops, sorry-not-sorry).

His current format also allows him to do a deeper focus on one interesting item per week rather than being beholden to the news cycle with 4 shows a week. I'd be happy if they kept Oliver at HBO and found someone else qualified to take over the Daily Show. Hell, move Larry Wilmore up a half hour and figure something out with the 11:30 slot instead. Wilmore can handle it. He's been a bit shaky so far but so was Oliver in his first month handling the Daily Show.

Terez
02-12-2015, 12:47 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I probably won't watch it unless it's Oliver. Wilmore bores me, as do most other acts on CC.

fionwe1987
02-12-2015, 01:04 PM
No.

I'm pretty sure Season 7 was the last one.

Davian93
02-12-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Season 7 was the last one.

That was more my opinion of picking her, not her actual availability.

fionwe1987
02-12-2015, 03:39 PM
That was more my opinion of picking her, not her actual availability.

Ok...

Kimon
02-12-2015, 04:57 PM
His current format also allows him to do a deeper focus on one interesting item per week rather than being beholden to the news cycle with 4 shows a week. I'd be happy if they kept Oliver at HBO and found someone else qualified to take over the Daily Show. Hell, move Larry Wilmore up a half hour and figure something out with the 11:30 slot instead. Wilmore can handle it. He's been a bit shaky so far but so was Oliver in his first month handling the Daily Show.

Wilmore's show hasn't been awful, but I doubt I'll continue watching it, especially once The Daily Show (Jon Stweart version) stops preceding it. Certainly if choosing between Wilmore and the beginning of Colbert at 10:30 (the benefit of living in the Central Time Zone), that choice will be Colbert. There are names that could hold on to the old audience, but not many names come to mind. Though I have to imagine that Comedy Central will at least make a probably fruitless call to Chappelle to ask him if he's bored and/or tempted by a blank check...

Davian93
02-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Wilmore's show hasn't been awful, but I doubt I'll continue watching it, especially once The Daily Show (Jon Stweart version) stops preceding it. Certainly if choosing between Wilmore and the beginning of Colbert at 10:30 (the benefit of living in the Central Time Zone), that choice will be Colbert. There are names that could hold on to the old audience, but not many names come to mind. Though I have to imagine that Comedy Central will at least make a probably fruitless call to Chappelle to ask him if he's bored and/or tempted by a blank check...

Two words: Wayne Brady

Mort
02-20-2015, 04:19 AM
Well we know now that Oliver has extended his contract with HBO until 2017. So he is not an option.

I don't really know who could stand in for Stewart. All I know is that whoever they pick won't be able to do it like Stewart, because Stewart is the show. If viewers expect it to be the same, they will be disappointed and the show will fail with whoever they pick.

Davian93
02-20-2015, 07:45 AM
What? What? But Dad...What about commando and Predator and Kindergarden Cop? They weren't a dream.

And what about those sweeping reforms he made when he was the governor? Oh wait, I see....

Its hard to rate what his best movie was because it depends on what aspects of those movies you truly enjoy. For me, Commando was his best effort only because its so utterly ridiculously over the top. I actually wrote a One Act play that centered around it back when I was in theater in HS. It was actually a really good play. One of the best parts of the movie (and there are many) is when they corner him in the tool shed and he proceeds to throw a circular saw blade at one, takes out another with a pitchfork and then uses a scythe (maybe? can't remember) to kill a 3rd. And then he has that machine gun with approximately 1,343,322 rounds in the belt-fed magazine. We counted it once and he kills like 75 of Bennet's guys (though technically they belong to the ex-president of Val Verde I suppose as Bennett is just a hired henchman).

Predator (starring 2 future governors and Carl Weathers who has to be wondering how he never became a governor himself) is awesome too...far less campy of course.

In Kindergarden Cop, he's in full on self-mocking mode, but not quite as ridiculous as Last Action Hero (highly underrated)

Let off some steam, Bennett!

Ivhon
02-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Total Recall was my favorite of his. All the over the top campiness....on Mars! Whose core is ice, by the way.

Also Running Man deserves mention for its historical influence. While not the Governator's most engrossing film, it did provide the blueprint for Hunger Games and all of its genre-defining derivatives.

Terez
03-30-2015, 07:22 PM
So....Trevor Noah (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/arts/television/trevor-noah-to-succeed-jon-stewart-on-the-daily-show.html). I vaguely recall seeing him on the show, which I have not been watching so regularly lately. I will give him a chance.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 07:52 PM
So....Trevor Noah (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/arts/television/trevor-noah-to-succeed-jon-stewart-on-the-daily-show.html). I vaguely recall seeing him on the show, which I have not been watching so regularly lately. I will give him a chance.

Well, Stewart himself was fairly unknown when he was tapped. Maybe it works out.

I would have loved Oliver but I (as I mentioned before) would hate to see him leave his current show.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Total Recall was my favorite of his. All the over the top campiness....on Mars! Whose core is ice, by the way.

Also Running Man deserves mention for its historical influence. While not the Governator's most engrossing film, it did provide the blueprint for Hunger Games and all of its genre-defining derivatives.

Oh, Total Recall is phenomenal and arguably at the top of the list and at worst in the Top 3.

"See you at the party, Richter!"

~tosses arms off elevator~

Kimon
03-30-2015, 07:55 PM

I drew a complete blank on the name, but do at least recognize the dude's picture and sort of remember his bits from the show, which is already a huge indictment, as I watch just about every show. Yeah, I don't recall him being funny. Not really surprising though, of the current group of support comedians, all but Jason Jones and Samantha Bee pretty much suck, and neither of them would have been worthy of the show in my opinion. This seems like a really disappointing decision. Just moving Larry Wilmore up to 11, and putting this guy on at 11:30 would have even made more sense. Heck, I'd have preferred even B-listers like Chris Hardwick to this guy. Looks like I'll just be switching entirely to Colbert, or going to sleep earlier...

Terez
03-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Well, Stewart himself was fairly unknown when he was tapped.
That's not how I remember it. He was one of the most popular stand-up comedians at that time, and even I had heard of him, and I don't follow stand-up at all. I watched the Daily Show a few times when it was Craig Kilborne (during the first season of South Park, which brought me to CC), and I remember thinking that they had replaced him with someone very much higher-profile.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 08:00 PM
That's not how I remember it. He was one of the most popular stand-up comedians at that time, and even I had heard of him, and I don't follow stand-up at all. I watched the Daily Show a few times when it was Craig Kilborne (during the first season of South Park, which brought me to CC), and I remember thinking that they had replaced him with someone very much higher-profile.

Well, I meant unknown from the standpoint of hosting the show more than as a comedian. Your description of his stature is definitely accurate but there were definite concerns that he'd handle that format after being a standup guy for so long.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 08:02 PM
I drew a complete blank on the name, but do at least recognize the dude's picture and sort of remember his bits from the show, which is already a huge indictment, as I watch just about every show. Yeah, I don't recall him being funny. Not really surprising though, of the current group of support comedians, all but Jason Jones and Samantha Bee pretty much suck, and neither of them would have been worthy of the show in my opinion. This seems like a really disappointing decision. Just moving Larry Wilmore up to 11, and putting this guy on at 11:30 would have even made more sense. Heck, I'd have preferred even B-listers like Chris Hardwick to this guy. Looks like I'll just be switching entirely to Colbert, or going to sleep earlier...

Wilmore has definitely been getting better.

Jason Jones can be pretty good when he's on but Samantha Bee has been just awful for a good five years. She used to be bearable but her schtick has gotten old of late. No where near as bad as Jessica Williams who I just don't find funny at all (she's had maybe 2 jokes since she started that I've laughed at I think).

The guy that was there for like 2 weeks before jumping ship to SNL was pretty good...a shame he left.

Kimon
03-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Wilmore has definitely been getting better.

Jason Jones can be pretty good when he's on but Samantha Bee has been just awful for a good five years. She used to be bearable but her schtick has gotten old of late. No where near as bad as Jessica Williams who I just don't find funny at all (she's had maybe 2 jokes since she started that I've laughed at I think).

The guy that was there for like 2 weeks before jumping ship to SNL was pretty good...a shame he left.

Wilmore has actually been pretty decent, the caveat there has always been if given the choice between him and Colbert, the choice was obviously Colbert. I'd have chosen him over this guy though. Maybe he'll be better than expected, and I will at least say this, not being particularly memorable is an improvement over Jessica Williams, Kristen Schaal, or Jordan Klepper. They all are really awful. I have to imagine that they were planning on giving the show to John Oliver and just waited too long and were left blindsided when he got the HBO gig.

What guy left for SNL? I can't really think of anyone who was on The Daily Show briefly but showed promise, and I never watch SNL.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Wilmore has actually been pretty decent, the caveat there has always been if given the choice between him and Colbert, the choice was obviously Colbert. I'd have chosen him over this guy though. Maybe he'll be better than expected, and I will at least say this, not being particularly memorable is an improvement over Jessica Williams, Kristen Schaal, or Jordan Klepper. They all are really awful. I have to imagine that they were planning on giving the show to John Oliver and just waited too long and were left blindsided when he got the HBO gig.

What guy left for SNL? I can't really think of anyone who was on The Daily Show briefly but showed promise, and I never watch SNL.

Michael Che...he's now the weekend update guy on SNL and he was on the Daily Show for like 3 weeks last summer it seemed.

Terez
03-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Wilmore has actually been pretty decent, the caveat there has always been if given the choice between him and Colbert, the choice was obviously Colbert. I'd have chosen him over this guy though. Maybe he'll be better than expected, and I will at least say this, not being particularly memorable is an improvement over Jessica Williams, Kristen Schaal, or Jordan Klepper. They all are really awful.
Jessica Williams has had some very good segments. I was very down on her for a while because she tended to be unfunny in the beginning; I think the first skit I loved was the Black Mormons during the 2012 election cycle. She has had a few more good ones since then.

I can't even call faces to mind for the other two people you mentioned. But you mentioned Samantha Bee earlier; I almost never find her funny. Her schtick mostly just annoys me, which is worse than Williams boring me.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Jessica Williams has had some very good segments. I was very down on her for a while because she tended to be unfunny in the beginning; I think the first skit I loved was the Black Mormons during the 2012 election cycle. She has had a few more good ones since then.

I can't even call faces to mind for the other two people you mentioned. But you mentioned Samantha Bee earlier; I almost never find her funny. Her schtick mostly just annoys me, which is worse than Williams boring me.

Her timing is atrocious.

Terez
03-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Her timing is atrocious.
Who, Williams or Bee?

Davian93
03-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Who, Williams or Bee?

Sorry, Williams.

Bee is just annoying as all hell.

connabard
03-31-2015, 05:04 PM
Apparently Trevor has made some pretty off-colour, low-brow "jokes" about Jews that read more like an anti-semite trying to pass it off as a joke.

"Behind every successful rap billionaire is a double as rich Jewish man #beatsbydreidel"

and

"Almost bumped a Jewish kid crossing the road. He didn't look b4 crossing but I still would hav felt so bad in my german car!"

Granted, the former is from a year ago, and the latter 5 years ago, but it's still pretty unfortunate that at first glance he seems to be about on-par with Daniel Tosh as far as creativity in jokes

Terez
03-31-2015, 07:03 PM
To be fair, Jon Stewart has used bad Jew jokes to lubricate the Daily Show for years. Of course, he's (sort of) Jewish, so that's allowed, but I suspect he and Noah had a conversation about this.

Creativity in jokes....all comedians make lame ones. Maybe even half the time. Few are as talented at this kind of thing as, say, Robin Williams who was a perpetual fount of funny. That's why the Daily Show has writers.

Davian93
03-31-2015, 09:06 PM
To be fair, Jon Stewart has used bad Jew jokes to lubricate the Daily Show for years. Of course, he's (sort of) Jewish, so that's allowed, but I suspect he and Noah had a conversation about this.

Creativity in jokes....all comedians make lame ones. Maybe even half the time. Few are as talented at this kind of thing as, say, Robin Williams who was a perpetual fount of funny. That's why the Daily Show has writers.

As someone who is ethnically Jewish, Stewart is "allowed" to make those jokes. Same with that talentless hack Lena Dunham getting away with making similar jokes about comparing Jews to dogs...its "okay" because she's half-Jewish by birth.

Its the Tim Whatley rule...

Kimon
03-31-2015, 09:41 PM
Its the Tim Whatley rule...

How dare you Dav, Tim Whatley was one of my students, and if this wasnít my sonís wedding day, Iíd knock your teeth out, you anti-dentite bastard.

Nazbaque
03-31-2015, 10:11 PM
"Almost bumped a Jewish kid crossing the road. He didn't look b4 crossing but I still would hav felt so bad in my german car!"

You know that joke was seriously racist towards Germans. Not all of them were nazis. More the vast majority of the Jews who suffered in the camps were German as well. Of course the mentality behind the joke might go so deep that it doesn't recognize Jews as having citizenship in any land except Israel.

connabard
03-31-2015, 11:09 PM
Having come to know a few Jewish people fairly well recently, I find there's a difference between someone who's Jewish making Jewish jokes almost self-deprecatingly and someone like Trevor making a "joke" that reads like something I'd see on Stormfront.

I don't know specifically what kind of jokes Stewart has made, but I haven't heard anything that bad from him.

As for Lena Dunham, I wasn't even aware she was half-Jewish, but I've also seen that a lot of people who say they're half-Jewish didn't grow up in a Jewish household at all, and so it really negates that anyway. I could be wrong though.

@Naz, it's really not racist to Germans at all. It comes down to the intent of the "joke" and the intent was clearly to make fun of the fact that millions of Jews (and others, and some of those German themselves) suffered at the hands of Germans.

Terez
03-31-2015, 11:10 PM
Here we go again...

connabard
03-31-2015, 11:45 PM
Here we go again...

With what? I don't think it's unreasonable to say that what he said is anti-Semitic at least.

Kimon
03-31-2015, 11:56 PM
With what? I don't think it's unreasonable to say that what he said is anti-Semitic at least.

I'm thinking it's a safe assumption that Terez is referring to this thread:

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8555&page=2

It started normal enough, and then started getting...well, you'll see.

connabard
04-01-2015, 12:04 AM
I'm thinking it's a safe assumption that Terez is referring to this thread:

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8555&page=2

It started normal enough, and then started getting...well, you'll see.

Ah, I can see that. I did get a bit over-zealous.

Kimon
04-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Ah, I can see that. I did get a bit over-zealous.

Oh, sorry. I was just trying to clarify, not imply that you had done anything. Now Naz...

Res_Ipsa
04-01-2015, 12:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LQw_J-sbeU

Pretty funny routine in my opinion. Good for Noah, I like his style. Where Stewart relied on a hammer to make his jokes, I think Noah does a much better job with subtle skills such as posture, tone, and timing.

Terez
04-01-2015, 01:26 AM
With what?
There is something under the bridge, and it is hongry.

Nazbaque
04-01-2015, 07:05 AM

Actually I was really just pointing out the other aspects of the joke. Mainly the German = nazi mentality.

Terez is just being snippy because her convictions aren't as well thought out as mine. She has a tendency to think of racism as the cause rather than the result.

Davian93
04-01-2015, 08:26 AM
You know that joke was seriously racist towards Germans. Not all of them were nazis. More the vast majority of the Jews who suffered in the camps were German as well. Of course the mentality behind the joke might go so deep that it doesn't recognize Jews as having citizenship in any land except Israel.

Well, technically they weren't German as they had been previously stripped of their German citizenship by the Nazis...

And a very large percentage were Polish and from other parts of Eastern Europe given the huge population of Jewry that resided there from the Middle Ages on.

Nazbaque
04-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Well, technically they weren't German as they had been previously stripped of their German citizenship by the Nazis...

And a very large percentage were Polish and from other parts of Eastern Europe given the huge population of Jewry that resided there from the Middle Ages on.

Meaning that their opinion on being German doesn't matter the way it does for African-Americans having a connection to Africa?

GonzoTheGreat
04-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Meaning that their opinion on being German doesn't matter the way it does for African-Americans having a connection to Africa?
Those haven't had their African nationality officially stripped from them, have they?
So, obviously, if they can find an actual country "Africa", they could ask for a passport.

Nazbaque
04-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Those haven't had their African nationality officially stripped from them, have they?
So, obviously, if they can find an actual country "Africa", they could ask for a passport.

Ah so since I haven't been officially stripped of the nationalities I am a Brazilian-Japanese-Australian?

Davian93
04-01-2015, 11:38 AM

Humor is a concept you should study up on...

Nazbaque
04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Humor is a concept you should study up on...

I have already out done the teachers of your teachers in that area.

yks 6nnetu hing
04-02-2015, 03:21 AM

The arrogance I strong in this one.

Daekyras
04-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Moses: you were trained by tadeski?

Cooper: urgh, yes!

Moses: I trained tadeski. *snap*

Edit: must check that out again.

Nazbaque
04-02-2015, 10:48 AM
The arrogance I strong in this one.

For some arrogance is backed by reality.

GonzoTheGreat
04-02-2015, 11:34 AM
For some arrogance is backed by reality.
Yeah, but that doesn't seem to be a limiting factor in your arrogance, so you need not worry about that.

Nazbaque
04-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Yeah, but that doesn't seem to be a limiting factor in your arrogance, so you need not worry about that.

Indeed I don't. Reality offers no reasons for me to limit my arrogance. Thank you for the compliment.

The Unreasoner
04-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I am less than real.

Does anyone know anything about this new guy? I saw his piece on chess, apparently he did a few others I missed. I wonder if Jason Jones quit because he was being passed over.

Res_Ipsa
04-02-2015, 09:21 PM
I am less than real.

Does anyone know anything about this new guy? I saw his piece on chess, apparently he did a few others I missed. I wonder if Jason Jones quit because he was being passed over.

I think that is the point, being an unknown he is a chance to charter a new course for the Daily Show, which is good because who doesn't like to see something taken in a new direction.

GonzoTheGreat
04-03-2015, 04:24 AM
I think that is the point, being an unknown he is a chance to charter a new course for the Daily Show, which is good because who doesn't like to see something taken in a new direction.
In general, when I'm in an elevator, I prefer it if the thing only goes up or down, without suddenly changing direction and going sideways. But then, I'm a European social democrat, so maybe I'm just too conservative for your taste. :p

Daekyras
04-06-2015, 04:32 PM
In general, when I'm in an elevator, I prefer it if the thing only goes up or down, without suddenly changing direction and going sideways. But then, I'm a European social democrat, so maybe I'm just too conservative for your taste. :p

Admit it, you would love to be in the Star Trek elevators!

Davian93
04-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Admit it, you would love to be in the Star Trek elevators!

As long as its not when a quantum filament hits the ship.