PDA

View Full Version : how do you choose yours?

Figbiscuit
02-12-2015, 09:32 AM
I am curious as to how you choose the books you read? Generally I go off recommendations, either here or from friends, or even Amazon for my kindle wish list. I am known on occasion tho to buy a book for its cover, and I've discovered some gems like that. Just last week I bought a book purely because it was 3" thick. Turns out it's also won the Man Booker prize so I'm hoping it's going to be a goodie...

Davian93
02-12-2015, 12:03 PM
I am curious as to how you choose the books you read? Generally I go off recommendations, either here or from friends, or even Amazon for my kindle wish list. I am known on occasion tho to buy a book for its cover, and I've discovered some gems like that. Just last week I bought a book purely because it was 3" thick. Turns out it's also won the Man Booker prize so I'm hoping it's going to be a goodie...

True story: The reason I started reading WoT was due to the cover art of tEotW. Of course, I was 11 or 12 and it looked "neat" when I saw it in a used book sale bin at the local library (cost 25 cents) so that also probably had something to do with it.

Daekyras
02-12-2015, 12:38 PM

Shantaram?

Khoram
02-12-2015, 01:09 PM
For a while I've been reading books because I have to, not because I necessarily want to. I've read some good books like that, but also some bores. Usually I look at what's similar to what I enjoy reading about, namely fantasy, sci-fi, scientific or historical books, or a combination of any of the above.

The covers have also been reasons for my picking up a book. :D

yks 6nnetu hing
02-13-2015, 02:19 AM
when I'm in the book store, then the cover can influence me; also the genre and the back blurb. I started reading WoT because of the cover (the UK edition, the black one with just the Wheel and serpent symbol on it. It looked refreshingly uncluttered)

When I'm ordering books or getting ebooks, then I sometimes let suggestions from friends guide me.

Figbiscuit
02-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Shantaram?

The Luminaries

Daekyras
02-16-2015, 05:23 PM
The Luminaries

Dammit. I nearly went with that one.

It looks interesting but when I rwad a review it came across as quite cliche. It must be incredibly well written to overcome the hackneyed subtext.

Figbiscuit
02-19-2015, 05:46 AM
Dammit. I nearly went with that one.

It looks interesting but when I rwad a review it came across as quite cliche. It must be incredibly well written to overcome the hackneyed subtext.

Never read reviews in advance, that's my motto ;)

I'll let you know when I finally get round to reading it anyway. I'm not so bothered about a huge cliché if it's well written anyway :)

Lupusdeusest
02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Reviews, author. Still working my way through Neal Stephenson, although I think I've just about brutally slaughtered Sanderson and Pierce. Got a way to go with Hobb.

In the case of my longer lasting author killings, the entry point was a gift or a loan - TEotW, Fool's Errand, Anathem, Wild Magic...

I picked up a few new authors at the library in the years when I was sick. I'd go in with my wheelie trolley and sample a few pages from the thickest ones.

Currently Mieville is in the "gifted" category - one of his was on Zombie's Kindle (which also held the only copy of Firefight we have at the moment) and I've promised myself no reread for a while. Finished Kraken last night.

A couple have come through Tor previews: the Orphans of Chais set came through that.

Some authors I can't handle all their work: Stephenson I really need to settle down to read in huge chunks. John Marsden is too heartbreaking in some of his, despite my affection for the Ellie Linton books. Sara Douglass had a rather hair-raising approach to rape (sooo much RaD). I'm not sure why I've not picked up more Irvine. (Not as flowing as the others, my head says, but "I can't afford it" is the excuse at the checkout.)

Rand al'Fain
02-23-2015, 01:34 AM
Generally, I first go by title/cover and then by the summary. But I almost always look for something with a medieval fantasy setting (with a few exceptions).

Purple Dragon
12-03-2016, 03:11 AM
´mostly just listen to the voices in my head...