PDA

View Full Version : Red Eagle is suing Harriett

halo6819
02-13-2015, 03:03 AM
REE filed suit against Harriet for defamation due to her comments concerning the "Pilot"

http://www.law360.com/ip/articles/621421/-wheel-of-time-tv-producers-sue-for-slander-in-rights-row

According to the article, Universals rights expired before REE's and they had met with Harriett as late as last year.

DahLliA
02-13-2015, 03:41 AM
Wow. Talk about shooting themselves more in the foot.

Anyone who could get the whole article in here? Cba to register on the site to see the whole thing.

Terez
02-13-2015, 03:54 AM
From the Reddit comments:

Law360, San Diego (February 12, 2015, 8:08 PM ET) -- The producers of a TV adaptation of Robert Jordan’s “Wheel of Time” fantasy book series accused the author’s widow of slander on Thursday in California federal court, alleging she publicly ridiculed the pilot that aired days before the producers’ rights were set to expire.

Red Eagle Entertainment LLC’s 30-minute pilot for the series aired on FXX in the early hours of Feb. 9, at 1:30 a.m. EST, and was quickly derided by fans and writers for its low-budget special effects, slow pacing and stilted acting. Red Eagle’s rights to the series would have expired on Feb. 11 if it hadn’t aired anything.

Jordan’s widow Harriet McDougal released a statement Monday distancing herself from the pilot. She claimed that her company Bandersnatch Group Inc., which is Jordan’s successor in interest, had a deal with Universal Pictures to produce the show, not Red Eagle.

“I see no mention of Universal in the ‘pilot,’” she wrote. “Nor, I repeat, was Bandersnatch, or Robert Jordan's estate, informed of this in any way. I am dumbfounded by this occurrence, and am taking steps to prevent its reoccurrence.”

Red Eagle alleges that it granted some rights to Universal but they reverted back to Red Eagle last year. McDougal knew Universal was no longer involved because she and her lawyers were told about the rights change, according to the suit. Her statement was meant to disparage the show and cast doubt on Red Eagle’s legal ability to produce the pilot, the company alleged.

“Instead of confirming the rights for which she has been so richly compensated for, McDougal sought to harm the business prospects of [Red Eagle] by making statements she knew to be false,” Red Eagle said.

Red Eagle’s dealing with Jordan dates back to 2004, when a subsidiary paid Jordan $35,000 for a one-year option to buy movie and TV rights for the first of 15 books in the “Wheel of Time” series. The company eventually paid another $595,000 to extend the option and buy the rights, which would revert back to Bandersnatch if nothing came of the deal, according to the complaint.

The subsidiary, Manetheren LLC, signed a separate deal with Universal in 2009, giving it an interest in making films or a TV show based on the book, but the rights came back to Manetheren in February 2014 because Universal hadn’t started shooting by then, the complaint said.

McDougal was invited last year to a series of meetings between Manetheren, Sony Pictures Television and Radar Pictures LLC about a possible TV series and offered to serve as a consultant, according to the suit. Red Eagle claims McDougal never raised any concerns about Manetheren’s rights to go ahead with the show.

Manetheren further claims McDougal breached a 2008 deal over comic book rights, with both sides agreeing not to make any negative or contentious public statements about each other. And contrary to McDougal’s released statement, Manetheren was not required to get her approval before releasing the show, the producers said.

Representatives for the parties did not immediately respond Thursday to requests for comment.

Red Eagle is represented by Jonathan D. Freund and Stephen P. Crump of Freund & Brackey LLP.

Counsel information for the defendants was not immediately available.

The case is Red Eagle Entertainment LLC et al. v. Bandersnatch Group Inc. et al., case number 2:15-cv-01038, in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

--Editing by Emily Kokoll.

Daekyras
02-13-2015, 04:07 AM
dicks

Terez
02-13-2015, 07:08 AM
I have to wonder what Harriet was thinking when she claimed her contract was with Universal. It was contrary to public record so I was thinking maybe there was something we didn't know. I doubt she lied about it on purpose.

Davian93
02-13-2015, 08:00 AM
I have to wonder what Harriet was thinking when she claimed her contract was with Universal. It was contrary to public record so I was thinking maybe there was something we didn't know. I doubt she lied about it on purpose.

Confusion on the part of an older, stressed out woman? I mean, she is 75 after all.

That'd be my guess.

Lupusdeusest
02-13-2015, 09:20 AM
dicks

Full points for concision.

Lupusdeusest
02-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Confusion on the part of an older, stressed out woman? I mean, she is 75 after all.

That'd be my guess.

That and how muddled the management of the rights has been.

Sorry about two posts; quoting is... interesting... on my phone.

Edit: less likely age and more likely utter shock at their disrespect.

123seem
02-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Given the right p.r. spin on it, i personally hope that if nothing else come of this snafu, that at the very least it generates interest and a much larger WOT fanbase.

Lupusdeusest
02-13-2015, 09:49 AM
I must say, I would add fan community unity to that... I've never seen them this universally pissed.

Isabel
02-13-2015, 11:08 AM
What an assholes...........

Anything we can do to help?

Khoram
02-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Aside from theorizing what's gonna happen? :p Doubt there's much we can do.

Southpaw2012
02-13-2015, 11:36 AM
I'm reading the full complaint now. It's interesting...

fionwe1987
02-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Wow. For one thing, the part about the legality of the pilot had hardly anything to do with the damage to REE's reputation. That was achieved years ago by their complete inaction. Nor did Harriet have to say anything at all to make the fans realize this pilot was a piece of crap.

Still, I hope there was some genuine confusion about the rights. I, too, doubt Harriet just lied.

That said, REE clearly doesn't know how to handle PR does it? This is only likely to make everyone hate them more. Idiots.

Davian93
02-13-2015, 12:20 PM
I mean, on one level, I would say that if the Rigney's did sell the rights, they really cant complain too much about REE making a crappy pilot to keep them. Its shady of course but its not exactly rare in the industry. That's the reason we get crappy Spiderman movies every so often so Sony didnt have to give up the rights to the character.

Of course, Disney just gave them a eleventy quadrillion dollars to get Spidey back for the final 2 Avengers movies.

Still, this lawsuit is just complete dickihood by them.

fionwe1987
02-13-2015, 12:30 PM
It's more than just money, I guess. REE are making it impossible for a good show to be made of the books. They've basically destroyed the franchise over and over with their incompetence.

Davian93
02-13-2015, 12:54 PM
It's more than just money, I guess. REE are making it impossible for a good show to be made of the books. They've basically destroyed the franchise over and over with their incompetence.

Yeah but they did pay for those rights. I mean, part of that blame lies with them selling it to REE in the first place.

Southpaw2012
02-13-2015, 03:01 PM
It sounds like Harriet may have misunderstood who had the rights and when. I'm not sure why her lawyer was unaware.

fionwe1987
02-13-2015, 05:00 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/fxx-pilot-airing-at-130-773110

Hollywood Reported gets into the action.

Also, I'm reading in some places that Red Eagle no longer even exists as a business entity since it failed to meet tax requirements! Anyone know if this is true? This seems like the last flail of a doomed company.

Terez
02-13-2015, 07:17 PM
It sounds like Harriet may have misunderstood who had the rights and when. I'm not sure why her lawyer was unaware.
I'm imagining this terrible scenario where her lawyer is older than she is, and an old friend. I hope that's not what's going on.

Zombie Sammael
02-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Message removed as I had cooled down very quickly. Hope no-one saw it.

Khoram
02-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Message removed as I had cooled down very quickly. Hope no-one saw it.

Saw what? ;)*

*I didn't actually see anything.

Southpaw2012
02-14-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm imagining this terrible scenario where her lawyer is older than she is, and an old friend. I hope that's not what's going on.

This whole lawsuit sounds almost like a setup. RE, desperate for money, rushed to make a 30 minute show that would allow them to keep the rights and would surely draw anger from both fans and Harriet, thus setting themselves up to get slammed. Then when Harriet rushed to judgment and posted a statement, that was then passed along through the internet, RE had ammunition to strike with this lawsuit to get more money.

I doubt this is the case, but the whole thing has been strange from the very start.

Tomp
02-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Also, I'm reading in some places that Red Eagle no longer even exists as a business entity since it failed to meet tax requirements! Anyone know if this is true? This seems like the last flail of a doomed company.

Yes according to this (http://www.wysk.com/index/california/malibu/ckbyu6u/red-eagle-entertainment-llc/good-standing) they're suspended.

For more info on what that means you can check out this information (http://www.yourlegalcorner.com/articles.asp?id=35&cat=corp)on "your legal corner"

Tedman
02-15-2015, 05:10 PM
A funny move, this thing just gets weirder and weirder.

Sukoto
02-15-2015, 05:23 PM
What I don't understand is how Robert Jordan couldn't sell the rights to a legitimate operation in the first place.

Terez
02-15-2015, 05:56 PM
What I don't understand is how Robert Jordan couldn't sell the rights to a legitimate operation in the first place.
He thought they were hardcore fans in the first place, and would do a good job, i.e. not screw it up Hollywood style. Or they talked him into that idea.

I was just thinking about you today. Welcome back.

Rand al'Fain
02-15-2015, 06:08 PM
He thought they were hardcore fans in the first place, and would do a good job, i.e. not screw it up Hollywood style. Or they talked him into that idea.

I was just thinking about you today. Welcome back.

Well, with using names like "Red Eagle" (the banner of Manathren) and "Manathren", one WOULD think they would be fans. But apparently not.

Terez
02-15-2015, 06:27 PM
One of the owners' last names is Mondragon (similar to Lan's Mondragoran). RJ probably thought that was way cool.

mogi67
02-15-2015, 06:41 PM
I have won again, Lews Therin

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_post_349_width/2014/06/billy_zane.jpg

halo6819
02-16-2015, 06:36 AM
Over on /r/wot, someone thinks that REE is sock-puppeting hate for Harriet, and may even be the source of the original "Hey guys look there is a pilot on tonight" post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/2vu7wk/red_eagle_seems_to_be_creating_accounts_to_bash/

Southpaw2012
03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
The lawsuit is moving forward and it sounds like the defense is fighting back. Great to see!

fionwe1987
03-27-2015, 05:43 PM
The lawsuit is moving forward and it sounds like the defense is fighting back. Great to see!

How do we know this? I mean, is there fresh news? I'd have though the lawyers for both sides would make them keep things quiet till the case comes to court.

halo6819
03-27-2015, 10:37 PM
There is a law student on the WoT subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/30jhxi/update_on_the_wheel_of_time_pilot_lawsuit/

Hi everyone,
I'm a law student and Wheel of Time fan, and I've been monitoring the Red Eagle/Bandersnatch lawsuit over the pilot and Harriet's subsequent statement. Because I have the resources through my school to monitor the case more cheaply/easily than others, I wanted to provide a quick update for everyone.
Harriet (/Bandersnatch, but it's easier to just refer to her) has hired a local firm in L.A. called Johnson and Johnson (these peeps: http://www.jjllplaw.com/[1] ) to represent her in the suit. Last week, they filed a motion to dismiss three of the four causes of action (which are basically the different allegations) against her. There is a hearing scheduled for April 27--I live in L.A. (where the suit was filed) and will try to go if I can.
I wanted to keep the main post brief, but if anyone has more specific questions about the case, the suit, or whatever I'll try to answer what I can. I've read the initial complaint and the motion to dismiss and will do my best to answer questions--I am only a student, of course, but so far anyways this isn't really that complicated of a case.

Rand al'Fain
03-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Here's to hoping Harriet wins!

And here's to hoping a competent company can get a hold of WOT and actually do something with the series.

Morelikeunwisewoman
03-29-2015, 07:32 AM
There is a law student on the WoT subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/30jhxi/update_on_the_wheel_of_time_pilot_lawsuit/

Could that guy get in trouble for reporting these things?

I never really thought about the rights to intellectual properties (yup, looked that up :)) before bit it does seem strange that red eagle got the rights.

Shame we probably never get a show.

SomeOneElse
03-29-2015, 12:13 PM
I think that after all there's not even a chance we get any show or, if we get, it will be something like in that pilot so it's probably better not to have any.
WoT would be very very hard to make it as a TV show (I mean acceptable one not crap), I'd say impossible.

Hugh the Hand
03-29-2015, 12:31 PM
We have debated this many times, an HBO GoT type is possible to be good.

Also, an animation adaptation I think could be killer

The law student did not post anything classified, or secret, that is all public information.

He just made it easier for people to know what is going on

SomeOneElse
03-29-2015, 02:08 PM
We have debated this many times, an HBO GoT type is possible to be good.

I think that what's possible with GoT isn't automatically applied to WoT and, although I do love WoT a lot I honestly don't think it will ever have the same fan base as GoT for some reasons which means there will never be the same money involved.

Daekyras
03-30-2015, 08:42 AM
I think that what's possible with GoT isn't automatically applied to WoT and, although I do love WoT a lot I honestly don't think it will ever have the same fan base as GoT for some reasons which means there will never be the same money involved.

According to the internet:

WOT has sold > 50million copies.

ASOIAF has sold 25million.

And 10 million of those ASOIAF in the last three years. since the TV show.

WOT has a larger fan base I would say.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 09:44 AM

I would say that GOT appeals to the mainstream audience a bit more than WOT ever could.

Also, you have to also divide those numbers a bit more accurately. WOT has sold 50 million or so copies but it is 15 volumes long (including New Spring) so you're looking at 3.3 million per volume vs 5 million per volume for GOT).

There's also the reality that GOT exploded in popularity once HBO picked it up. I was the only person I knew that had read the books prior to the tv show and I was the one who got the typical "Davian, you're a fantasy nerd, is this book series HBO optioned any good?" questions. GOT, with its gratiutous violence and tons of nudity, simply has a lower common denominator than WOT.

Daekyras
03-30-2015, 10:03 AM
I would say that GOT appeals to the mainstream audience a bit more than WOT ever could.

Also, you have to also divide those numbers a bit more accurately. WOT has sold 50 million or so copies but it is 15 volumes long (including New Spring) so you're looking at 3.3 million per volume vs 5 million per volume for GOT).

There's also the reality that GOT exploded in popularity once HBO picked it up. I was the only person I knew that had read the books prior to the tv show and I was the one who got the typical "Davian, you're a fantasy nerd, is this book series HBO optioned any good?" questions. GOT, with its gratiutous violence and tons of nudity, simply has a lower common denominator than WOT.

Shhhhhhh. With your accuracy. :)

fionwe1987
03-30-2015, 02:33 PM
WoT total sales worldwide is closer to 90 million, according to Werthead, and I trust his research into this.

That said, sales per book is closer to aSoiaF. But I think the things that make GoT appealing can be ported over to WoT easily enough.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 08:05 PM
WoT total sales worldwide is closer to 90 million, according to Werthead, and I trust his research into this.

That said, sales per book is closer to aSoiaF. But I think the things that make GoT appealing can be ported over to WoT easily enough.

"Oh damn, another episode devoted almost entirely to Gai'shain. What's that Rand, we need to go over strategy while we walk in front of all these newly captured Gai'shain who we don't have any robes for? Hmm, maybe we can cut to Egwene, Avi and Moraine discussing how to handle Rand in the sweat tent again. Ooh, Avi's giving her near-sister a shoulder rub to work out those kinks"

We got this.

Kimon
03-30-2015, 08:39 PM
"Oh damn, another episode devoted almost entirely to Gai'shain. What's that Rand, we need to go over strategy while we walk in front of all these newly captured Gai'shain who we don't have any robes for? Hmm, maybe we can cut to Egwene, Avi and Moraine discussing how to handle Rand in the sweat tent again. Ooh, Avi's giving her near-sister a shoulder rub to work out those kinks"

We got this.

The bigger hurdle is still the length of the series. That one alone unfortunately is probably insurmountable. There is however another much-loved (at least in these parts) book by a much-loved author where length wouldn't be an issue, as it's a stand-alone novel, and there would be plenty of sex and nudity.

Tigana.

Heck, and if it drew great numbers, then you make Lions of Al-Rassan or Under Heaven for season two.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 08:41 PM
The bigger hurdle is still the length of the series. That one alone unfortunately is probably insurmountable. There is however another much-loved (at least in these parts) book by a much-loved author where length wouldn't be an issue, as it's a stand-alone novel, and there would be plenty of sex and nudity.

Tigana.

Heck, and if it drew great numbers, then you make Lions of Al-Rassan or Under Heaven for season two.

I don't ever want to see any GGK books turned into shows/movies. It would ruin the beauty of his prose and stories.

I much prefer my image of each story that I have when I read them.

Kimon
03-30-2015, 08:46 PM
I don't ever want to see any GGK books turned into shows/movies. It would ruin the beauty of his prose and stories.

I much prefer my image of each story that I have when I read them.

I surprised none of his novels have, as his stories are very engaging and quite ripe for a cinematic conversion. On the other hand, at least Peter Jackson screwed up the Hobbit so much that he likely won't be given a chance to screw up The Silmarillion too.

Davian93
03-30-2015, 08:50 PM
I surprised none of his novels have, as his stories are very engaging and quite ripe for a cinematic conversion. On the other hand, at least Peter Jackson screwed up the Hobbit so much that he likely won't be given a chance to screw up The Silmarillion too.

God I hope not. The Hobbit movies have been awful.

GGK's books are amazing. In a lot of ways, I think he's far superior to RJ to be honest. I like succinct, well-put together stories.

Many of them would make great movies if done right. His books always make you ponder life and leave you a bit sad but happy that you read it. Even after rereads, I feel that level of emotional attachment to the characters.

fionwe1987
03-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Many of them would make great movies if done right. His books always make you ponder life and leave you a bit sad but happy that you read it. Even after rereads, I feel that level of emotional attachment to the characters.
Definitely. Lions, or River of Stars, would make particularly powerful movies, if done right. But I have no belief in Hollywood's ability to do these stories right.

fionwe1987
03-30-2015, 09:18 PM

We got this.

Lol yeah. Or just expand Graendal's role. Greatly.

Terez
03-30-2015, 09:37 PM
There is a lot of nudity and sexuality in WoT even if nothing is exaggerated.

Daekyras
03-31-2015, 03:57 AM

Is that a joke? Not about the quality, they were pants. But screwed up is not what Peter Jackson did. Creates a money printing press is what he did. The three hobbit moves made nearly a billion each!! He could ask for whatever he wants and it will be given to him. Even his big failure, king kong made 550mil worldwide.

If he told new line he wanted to do a WOT film adaption they'd acquire the rights in a week. Not that he would be interested but you know what I mean!

SomeOneElse
03-31-2015, 04:36 AM
Yeh that's so true. I think he should make like one movie for hobbit of 3hrs or like that and move on to Silmarillion. He added so much stuff to Hobbit and stretched it as hell. With Silmarillion he actually could add his own stuff without getting in trouble with the plot.There is a lot of nudity and sexuality in WoT even if nothing is exaggerated.

Omg where? Only 4 or 5 scenes, maybe more, but really not more then 1-2 per book.
Lol yeah. Or just expand Graendal's role. Greatly.
Eh gr8 idea.

Terez
03-31-2015, 05:41 AM
Someone didn't pay much attention when reading.

yks 6nnetu hing
03-31-2015, 05:46 AM
There is a lot of nudity and sexuality in WoT even if nothing is exaggerated.

yeah but there's hardly any rape or incest or molesting minors, so you know, it's not gritty enough

*gag*

GonzoTheGreat
03-31-2015, 07:08 AM
yeah but there's hardly any rape or incest or molesting minors, so you know, it's not gritty enough
All you need for that is a few more Dark Friend Socials, it seems. The fact that the books only mentioned one (and a rather tame one, at that) need not be an impediment to script writers.

yks 6nnetu hing
03-31-2015, 07:18 AM
All you need for that is a few more Dark Friend Socials, it seems. The fact that the books only mentioned one (and a rather tame one, at that) need not be an impediment to script writers.

well, they can always turn Tuon into a 12-year-old. And emphasise the Aiel polygamic/polyandric traditions. re-interpret the Maidens to always be playing the kissing game and play up the AS pillow talk scenes...

SomeOneElse
03-31-2015, 09:31 AM
When reading I some how thought there shall be sex between Galad and Elayne. So that could also help.
:D

WinespringBrother
03-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Is it ironic that Berelain never appeared naked on screen? (IIRC anyway)

Don't forget the party that Trom crashed, I'm sure script writers could have a field day with that one lol

Davian93
03-31-2015, 02:44 PM

Regardless of the vicious rumors surrounding that poor woman, she's simply not that kind of girl.

Southpaw2012
04-16-2015, 11:56 AM
https://docs.com/1L5X1

Bandersnatch Group has filed their memorandum in support of their motion to dismiss and it's a scathing response. Great read.

Tomp
04-17-2015, 10:15 PM

But there are twice as many volumes in WoT. So that means it's about even between them.

GonzoTheGreat
04-18-2015, 05:03 AM
Yes, but as mentioned, a lot of those ASoIaF books were sold after the television series started drawing in new readers, so they shouldn't really all be counted in this competition with WoT.

DahLliA
04-27-2015, 06:40 AM
https://docs.com/1L5X1

Bandersnatch Group has filed their memorandum in support of their motion to dismiss and it's a scathing response. Great read.

Can anyone who speaks Lawyer translate and preferably summarize that? :p

Daekyras
04-27-2015, 07:14 AM

She got down to the underlayers in rand's bedroom in tSR. IIRP. (P for pervertedly)

Rand al'Fain
04-27-2015, 01:12 PM
So, any updates on this case?

Southpaw2012
04-27-2015, 08:07 PM
So, any updates on this case?

There was a hearing today. Not sure what the result was.

halo6819
05-03-2015, 06:12 AM
I atempted to go listen in on the hearing.

attempted because after an hour drive, paying way too much for parking, waiting for over an hour in an un air conditioned building, the case I sat in on was about a guy who got foreclosed on by capital one.

I went back to the reddit post where the guy who mentioned when and where the hearing was happening and is a lawyer with access to the court docket and he said that there was a motion to postpone till June 1.

We will see if i have the time/ability to go out again.

Terez
05-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Next time, take the bus. ;)

halo6819
05-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Next time, take the bus. ;)

Have you ever tried to use public trans in LA? you have to drive 20 min to the nearest metro stop, take two trains (you also get to switch trains in beautiful Compton) and still be a mile away from the courthouse

Sometimes I hate my city.

on the plus side, from reading the briefs, Harriett is not using a family friend lawyer. Her people seem to know what they are doing

Terez
05-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Yes, I noticed that.

Davian93
05-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Have you ever tried to use public trans in LA? you have to drive 20 min to the nearest metro stop, take two trains (you also get to switch trains in beautiful Compton) and still be a mile away from the courthouse

on the plus side, from reading the briefs, Harriett is not using a family friend lawyer. Her people seem to know what they are doing

LA has public transit? Since when?

halo6819
05-10-2015, 03:47 AM
LA has public transit? Since when?

There are a couple trains here and there. Actually after Terez's comment, I started taking a less cynical look at the current state of the metro, and it looks like a station isn't to far from me, and will drop me off close to the courthouse, so i may actually do that next time.

GonzoTheGreat
05-10-2015, 04:36 AM
Maybe LA actually has perfect public transport, but no one ever noticed it. Wouldn't it be nice if this thread sparked a world wide revolution in transportation?
We could call it the Theoryland Spring.

Daekyras
05-11-2015, 05:01 AM
Maybe LA actually has perfect public transport, but no one ever noticed it. Wouldn't it be nice if this thread sparked a world wide revolution in transportation?
We could call it the Theoryland Spring.

I have enjoyed the public transport in every american city I have been in. Probably because I am an idiot and don't know if the bus is taking me through the bad part of town or not. I just sit and keep my mouth shut and nothing bad has ever happened.

If you want bad public transport come to europe. Except germany, Switzerland and Austria. Go there for the most perfect examples of public transport you have ever seen. Amazing. Once the bus I was on in Lausane pulled in and stopped because we were two minutes ahead of schedule! Same thing for a german train passing through poland...

Davian93
05-11-2015, 09:14 AM
I have enjoyed the public transport in every american city I have been in. Probably because I am an idiot and don't know if the bus is taking me through the bad part of town or not. I just sit and keep my mouth shut and nothing bad has ever happened.

If you want bad public transport come to europe. Except germany, Switzerland and Austria. Go there for the most perfect examples of public transport you have ever seen. Amazing. Once the bus I was on in Lausane pulled in and stopped because we were two minutes ahead of schedule! Same thing for a german train passing through poland...

Paris has the best public transit system I've ever gotten to experience. My wife, who lived in Japan for 3 years, tells me Tokyo's metro is comparable or even better than Paris but Paris is still by far the best I've ever used. The London Underground is also pretty ridiculous...it beats any subway system in the US. NYC, Boston and DC all have solid subways but none of those 3 could ever compare to Paris for ease of travel.

Add in the TGV system in France and we have nothing that even comes close to that in the States. Sure, I could drive to my local train station and jump on a train to Boston right now (well, I could have at 7am as there's only 1 train per day each way) but that train takes 5 hours to get there (assuming no delays which are pretty common). I can drive to Boston in 3 hours instead. I went from Paris to Avignon on a TGV train in like 2 hrs, 45 min...which would have taken 7-8 hrs by car. I went from Avignon to Brussels in 3 hrs, 30 min and it took me a total of maybe 5 hrs to get from Avignon to Bruges using nothing but trains. I'd kill for such a system in the NE part of the USA (the only part outside of maybe CA that has the population density to make it feasible).

I dont recall Ireland have much, if any mass transit outside of Dublin's light rail that seemed more of a "bring you in from the suburbs" type of system. I recall a bus system but we didnt use it when we were there. We used the light rail to get from Howth into central Dublin which was a very easy connection. Outside of that, we used the pretty nice highway system you had to get everywhere else in the country. From what I understand, most of that was built pretty recently with EU funding and that your road system was pretty iffy before that. I also recall that once you get off that highway system, the backroads meant an average speed of maybe 40-45 KPH thanks to the many nearly 1 lane roads, small villages to gum it up and big arse tractors that went 5 kph and blocked the entire road. I also recall parts of the SW being utterly devoid of traffic which was nice.

Daekyras
05-11-2015, 09:40 AM
I also recall that once you get off that highway system, the backroads meant an average speed of maybe 40-45 KPH thanks to the many nearly 1 lane roads, small villages to gum it up and big arse tractors that went 5 kph and blocked the entire road. I also recall parts of the SW being utterly devoid of traffic which was nice.

France is good but full of French people so...

...the speed limits on the roads you are talking is actually 80kph. Most locals will drive at that speed too. Which is kinda ridiculous and you were right to drop speed. If you were driving at 40Kph I can just imagine the sheer annoyance of some local Kerry people.

Davian93
05-11-2015, 09:58 AM
France is good but full of French people so...

...the speed limits on the roads you are talking is actually 80kph. Most locals will drive at that speed too. Which is kinda ridiculous and you were right to drop speed. If you were driving at 40Kph I can just imagine the sheer annoyance of some local Kerry people.

Yeah, memory issue on my end. I was thinking we averaged 40 something and went with KPH when it was probably 40-45 mph on average thanks to annoying traffic and inability to pass the farm equipment. 45 mph is roughly 75-80 kph so that makes more sense.

Out in Kerry, for the most part, traffic was pretty minimal so it wasnt as huge an issue.

Southpaw2012
05-13-2015, 01:55 PM

She got a big time lawyer from Beverly Hills. Sounds like the hearing on the motion to dismiss has been continued to June 1.

Res_Ipsa
05-16-2015, 02:37 AM
Can anyone who speaks Lawyer translate and preferably summarize that? :p

Sure,

Harriet's lawyers are basically saying that the complaint is as sloppily put together as the pilot.

halo6819
05-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Another motion to postpone, new date is Jul 6th.

GonzoTheGreat
05-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Which party asked for the postponement?

halo6819
05-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Appears to be a joint application:

http://i.imgur.com/Pu5CSyT.png

DahLliA
06-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Sure,

Harriet's lawyers are basically saying that the complaint is as sloppily put together as the pilot.

Thanks. And if that's true, there's nothing to worry about :p

Res_Ipsa
06-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Thanks. And if that's true, there's nothing to worry about :p

Well, most likely the judge will allow Red Eagle to amend their complaint but I do not practice in California, which is a code pleading state, and therefore might be harsher. Almost every state and the feds are notice pleading, which is a much more lax standard except for a few cause of actions that must be pled with specificity.

Joram
07-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Last I read they were supposed to have another court date today. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Southpaw2012
07-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Yes, but having trouble getting it to load.

Southpaw2012
07-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Sounds like they had a joint agreement to move hearing to July 20 regarding the motion to dismiss.

halo6819
07-07-2015, 01:15 AM
Wow, good thing I didn't trek out there. Maybe my schedule will be free for the 20th.

GonzoTheGreat
07-07-2015, 05:00 AM
It sounds as if the standard practice of American lawyers is to debate with their opponents to agree on a date when they will continue their debate on when they will ...

Doesn't anyone ever scream "Get on with it!" at them?

ShadowbaneX
07-07-2015, 07:53 AM
It sounds as if the standard practice of American lawyers is to debate with their opponents to agree on a date when they will continue their debate on when they will ...

Doesn't anyone ever scream "Get on with it!" at them?
Not really. It's a tactic that they might to use at some time, so of course they're not going to get rid of it.

Hugh the Hand
07-07-2015, 09:34 AM
How else are we supposed to bill you, duh.

Southpaw2012
07-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Exactly, and it sounds like they originally said that the final continuance would be the one extended to July 6, but then they came to an agreement that it could get extended out once more to July 20. Looks like Red Eagle brought in another lawyer to help out.

Southpaw2012
07-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Nevermind, both parties agreed to dismiss whole thing. The continuance to July 20 was from an earlier date and now the whole case has been dismissed by stipulation.

Terez
07-07-2015, 10:41 AM
So it's done?

Southpaw2012
07-07-2015, 10:46 AM
The issue involving the slander is done. I'm not sure about the rights debate.

fionwe1987
07-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Would it be correct to assume some kind of backroom deal had to happen for the charges to be dropped? Or did Red Eagle's legal team just realize how futile their case was?

Southpaw2012
07-07-2015, 11:31 AM
They probably realized that it would be dismissed in court in a few weeks anyways. Both sides had some high powered attorney's working for them so I'm sure they know when to draw the line and say enough is enough. If there was a settlement outside of court, it doesn't show, but from the filing shown it looks like it was stipulated that the action would be dismissed without prejudice.

Joram
07-07-2015, 11:38 AM
My guess is that Red Eagle walks away with the rights still in hand. That crap they produced and aired fulfilled the technical agreement that allowed them to keep the rights. I suspect the only way we will ever see a decent production of the show will be if someone buys them out. I would love to be proven wrong however.

Rand al'Fain
07-08-2015, 02:19 AM
My guess is that Red Eagle walks away with the rights still in hand. That crap they produced and aired fulfilled the technical agreement that allowed them to keep the rights. I suspect the only way we will ever see a decent production of the show will be if someone buys them out. I would love to be proven wrong however.

I think we all would love that.

Daekyras
07-09-2015, 02:35 AM

I still don't know why REE were sold the rights in the first place. That's not a random "I wish New Line bought them" kinda moan.

I mean that by looking through there history I can't see anything they have done that would jump out at me and say "we will take care of this huge property and do a great job producing content based on it".

Davian93
07-09-2015, 08:18 AM
I still don't know why REE were sold the rights in the first place. That's not a random "I wish New Line bought them" kinda moan.

I mean that by looking through there history I can't see anything they have done that would jump out at me and say "we will take care of this huge property and do a great job producing content based on it".

One of the REE owners had a name similar to Lan Mandragoran or some crap like that.

Yes, that is a sound policy to have when selling the rights to your book series.

Davian93
07-09-2015, 08:21 AM
They probably realized that it would be dismissed in court in a few weeks anyways. Both sides had some high powered attorney's working for them so I'm sure they know when to draw the line and say enough is enough. If there was a settlement outside of court, it doesn't show, but from the filing shown it looks like it was stipulated that the action would be dismissed without prejudice.

All high-powered lawyer negotiations should end in either of these scenarios:

Scenario 1:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/43563/1122223-spock.jpg

Scenario 2:

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/blasterkid2011/KISS%20FAQ/joker-batman-pool-cue-tryouts.gif

halo6819
07-12-2015, 07:17 AM
One of the REE owners had a name similar to Lan Mandragoran or some crap like that.

Originally, that was RJ's flawless logic.

After he passed, Harriett signed a seven year deal for close to 600k. I think she needed a bunch of cash for something and was worried with her husbands death that she wouldn't be able to pay.

I don't think REE ever intended to produce something on their own. From the outside looking in it seems that they really wanted to be the middle man between a South Carolina couple who did not want to deal with Hollywood and the next LOTR. I'm sure all their deals with universal/sony/whoever fell through because they wanted a bigger return on their investment.