PDA

View Full Version : Theory/prediction: Cosmere & Shards

WinespringBrother
02-26-2015, 12:16 PM
There are 16 shards in the cosmere, and 16 is a magic #. We know the names of 8 shards and 8 are as yet unnamed. I think the shards follow patterns which can be deduced, and each shard is in a pair. I think the shards are grouped on 1 dimension as being physical, spiritual, cognitive/mental, and emotional, and on another dimension as "strength" vs. "weakness", or perhaps "good intent" vs. "evil intent".

Below are the existing shards, and [predicted] names for the missing/unnamed shards, in pairs, along with a property I think they have in common:

Physical

Preservation/Ruin - togetherness/cohesion
Cultivation/[Retribution] - health (physical/mental) ETA: changed Destruction to Retribution since Destruction seems redundant

Emotional

Devotion/Odium - compassion
Honor/[Humiliation] - morals

Spiritual

Endowment/[Depravation] - creativity/expression
[Evolution]/[Corruption] - progress

Mental

[Comprehension]/[Delusion] - intelligence
Dominion/[Dissension] - control

Thoughts?

Sarevok
02-28-2015, 09:48 AM
I'm not so sure about the "physical" header. Consider that Ruin and Preservation are now joined into Harmony, which, from the word, isn't necessarily physical.

WinespringBrother
02-28-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm not so sure about the "physical" header. Consider that Ruin and Preservation are now joined into Harmony, which, from the word, isn't necessarily physical.

I was only referring to the properties of the original shards. I consider them both 'physical' since the effects of their magic system's investitures (Allomancy, Feruchemy and Hemalurgy) have effects most strongly in the physical world (though they do obviously have effects in the mental and spiritual realms through changes to sDNA for example). And I think Harmony only refers to the relationship balance maintained when Sazed took control of both shards to make them work together so that neither ones dominates the other despite their strength and weakness differences, similar to how weights on opposite ends of a see-saw would function to cause it to balance in equilibrium.