PDA

View Full Version : He's Dead, Jim

Davian93
02-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Leonard Nimoy Passes Away at Age 83 (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?_r=0)

83 is a good age but I am quite sad nonetheless.

Daekyras
02-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Leonard Nimoy Passes Away at Age 83 (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?_r=0)

83 is a good age but I am quite sad nonetheless.

Aww. That is sad. He seemed like a really interesting guy in real life and never really got annoyed at the fanboys.

Davian93
02-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Aww. That is sad. He seemed like a really interesting guy in real life and never really got annoyed at the fanboys.

Early on, he hated them and despised being typecast in his role, but he later came to love them as much as they loved him.

He was honestly my favorite ST character and I am quite saddened by his passing despite never meeting him.

Terez
02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Wasn't he everyone's favorite ST character?

I am kind of numb today in general but this is sad. Strange how the death of an 83-year-old man can remind someone less than half his age of her own mortality.

Davian93
02-27-2015, 12:22 PM

I am kind of numb today in general but this is sad. Strange how the death of an 83-year-old man can remind someone less than half his age of her own mortality.

There is a fairly strong Kirk contingent among fans of TOS...and if you add in the other tv shows, you will get a lot of fans of Picard too.

Terez
02-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Loving Kirk and Picard does not preclude one's acknowledgement of Spock's general superiority to everyone.

WinespringBrother
02-27-2015, 01:14 PM
very sad...I grew up on ST:TOS reruns

LLAP

Nazbaque
02-27-2015, 01:50 PM
This is very very sad and also eerie as I've been playing civ 4 recently again and thus hearing Nimoy's voice every time I discover a tech. Well I hope he considered his life a happy one that's the best anyone can have.

rand
02-27-2015, 02:43 PM
"He's dead, Jim" is the first thing that popped into my mind too when I first heard this. Very sad news. He'll be missed. Hopefully he finished filming his cameo for J.J. Abrams new Star Wars movie...

Khoram
02-27-2015, 05:21 PM
I never really know how to react to these things; are they hoaxes?

That being said, I am deeply saddened by his passing. Now I have to go and watch WoK and cry at the end of the movie. :(

Davian93
02-27-2015, 05:36 PM
I never really know how to react to these things; are they hoaxes?

That being said, I am deeply saddened by his passing. Now I have to go and watch WoK and cry at the end of the movie. :(

This one, sadly, is real. There were reports of him being on his deathbed last week and he's been pretty public about his illness over the past year or so.

83 is too young.

Daekyras
02-27-2015, 06:07 PM

Benjamin sisko anyone? Odo? Dax? Come on people, there should be more love for the finest of star trek series...

and why are you numb today T? Sick?

Khoram
02-27-2015, 06:19 PM
This one, sadly, is real. There were reports of him being on his deathbed last week and he's been pretty public about his illness over the past year or so.

83 is too young.

Yeah. I knew he was in the hospital for his heart, but there was still something in the back of my mind making me wonder whether it was real or not.

And considering I'm planning on living until I'm 150, yes, 83 is far too young.

Uno
02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
"From the first corse till he that died today, 'tis must be so."

Terez
02-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Sick, drained of all energy, etc. I think I'm on the uphill though.

DahLliA
02-28-2015, 11:02 AM
RIP Spock:(

Davian93
02-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Benjamin sisko anyone? Odo? Dax? Come on people, there should be more love for the finest of star trek series...

O'Brien was the best guy on that show...and one of the best overall in ST.

Helps that Colm Meaney is a hell of an actor.

Daekyras
03-01-2015, 03:57 PM
O'Brien was the best guy on that show...and one of the best overall in ST.

Helps that Colm Meaney is a hell of an actor.

I would have said o'brien but didnt want to come across all hometown hero on it...

...and something just occured to me. Did you ever read Star Trek books Dav? I'm asking as I was walking the dog today and listening to a great podcast that brought up velociraptors in popular fiction and I had this very vivid memory or picking up a trek book as a kid and in it kirk and co. Fought intelligent velociraptors on an alien world. It kinda made me want to seek it out...

Davian93
03-01-2015, 10:59 PM
I read 1 or 2 way, way back in the day when I was an early teenager but I never really got into them.